Importing from Canada

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing from Canada

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 12:19 am

Right so I know that if companies in the USA do not have an export license for parts and accessories it can be a real arse ache to get parts and specific accessories from the United States to Australia, However does anyone know the logistics and legalities about getting those same things sent from Canada to Australia, obviously I am aware that paperwork needs to be done this side by myself and deal with border force etc, however does Canada have the same issue with releasing goods to overseas buyers that the United States does? (think boyds gun stocks, pacific tool and gauge etc)
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Importing from Canada

Post by pomemax » 08 May 2019, 3:11 am

try brownells
some Usa company's will export to Au
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 3:19 am

flutch wrote:Right so I know that if companies in the USA do not have an export license for parts and accessories it can be a real arse ache to get parts and specific accessories from the United States to Australia, However does anyone know the logistics and legalities about getting those same things sent from Canada to Australia, obviously I am aware that paperwork needs to be done this side by myself and deal with border force etc, however does Canada have the same issue with releasing goods to overseas buyers that the United States does? (think boyds gun stocks, pacific tool and gauge etc)

I haven't tried but MDT is Canadian and I've heard of people buying direct from them. I don't think Canada has any ITAR-style laws to restrict selling firearms or parts. Boyds are American though. If you're buying under US$100 it's easier to find a US seller willing to help, but a lot of people won't even consider it.

I would try emailing some Canadian sellers and ask them directly if you can order from them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 10:30 am

well I want a bottom metal from PTG and two mags from MDT so yeah, brownells no good they dont stock it and yeah lol try and find a stock finished from boyds for under $165 USD, not gonna happen.

maybe will just contact their customs and ask if they have ITAR style laws....
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hunter257 » 08 May 2019, 12:30 pm

pomemax wrote:try brownells
some Usa company's will export to Au

my understanding is they wont.
Brownells have now opened up an online presence here.
So you buy it from brownells Australia and brownells USA ship it to Brownells Australia who send it
could be wrong but that's how it was explained to me by a Brownells person
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 6:09 pm

Hunter257 wrote:my understanding is they wont.
Brownells have now opened up an online presence here.
So you buy it from brownells Australia and brownells USA ship it to Brownells Australia who send it
could be wrong but that's how it was explained to me by a Brownells person

This system has been in place for a couple years now, but Brownells US has just recently decided they can now ship directly without requiring the AU portal.
I have had very good expereinces with Brownells.com.au, until my current order, which I'm guessing has been slowed up by these changes.

I'm interested to see if Brownells are shipping regulated items, like brass, bullets, firearm parts and such, or if this change has now closed that avenue to us.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 6:12 pm

flutch wrote:well I want a bottom metal from PTG and two mags from MDT so yeah, brownells no good they dont stock it and yeah lol try and find a stock finished from boyds for under $165 USD, not gonna happen.

maybe will just contact their customs and ask if they have ITAR style laws....

Mags you can get locally can't you? I would've thought the conversion kits were available here as well.
Have you tried Rebel?

Boyds have Aussie retailers so they probably won't want to be shipping from overseas anyway, regardless of the price.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 6:43 pm

haven't found the MDT 30-06 mag I need locally (for my 270) also the bottom metal is a big nope. to me makes me wonder why gunsmiths here dont just make this stuff themselves, after all if the other company has no distributors here a loss in market share is their own damn fault, would be pretty hard to sue someone for making a likeness of your product if you haven't made efforts to sell it there yourself directly.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 7:28 pm

flutch wrote:haven't found the MDT 30-06 mag I need locally (for my 270) also the bottom metal is a big nope. to me makes me wonder why gunsmiths here dont just make this stuff themselves, after all if the other company has no distributors here a loss in market share is their own damn fault, would be pretty hard to sue someone for making a likeness of your product if you haven't made efforts to sell it there yourself directly.

Talk to MDT directly then, but you'll need a B709 for a mag.
Which specific PTG bottom metal are you looking for?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 7:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
flutch wrote:haven't found the MDT 30-06 mag I need locally (for my 270) also the bottom metal is a big nope. to me makes me wonder why gunsmiths here dont just make this stuff themselves, after all if the other company has no distributors here a loss in market share is their own damn fault, would be pretty hard to sue someone for making a likeness of your product if you haven't made efforts to sell it there yourself directly.

Talk to MDT directly then, but you'll need a B709 for a mag.
Which specific PTG bottom metal are you looking for?

um looking for one for a long action 783 to take 30-06 mags to accommodate my 270
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 May 2019, 8:08 pm

Hey blade could you import mags and brass via brownells aus?

I got a couple of mates who used the aus site and found it usually takes 2 months to get the order.

I just got a couple of things from brownell us site.... I unfortunately chose the cheap postage option this postage took 20 days but was still quite happy
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 08 May 2019, 8:13 pm

Ziad wrote:Hey blade could you import mags and brass via brownells aus?

I got a couple of mates who used the aus site and found it usually takes 2 months to get the order.

I just got a couple of things from brownell us site.... I unfortunately chose the cheap postage option this postage took 20 days but was still quite happy

I would go that route if they stocked what I want but from what I can see they don't
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 8:22 pm

Yes, I've bought lots of brass, some bullets, and numerous mags via the AU portal. Usually took around four-weeks with _lots_ of update notifications. I've got an order I placed on March 14 that I'm still waiting on though. Didn't get any updates until April 14 to say they'd transferred the items to Australia, and then April 18 to say they were with Border Force. Two or perhaps three messages I sent asking for updates went unanswered completely. Finally I got an update on May 6 saying it has been sent from Brownells Oz. Very disappointed in them this time but luckily it's nothing I needed urgently, just tools and supplies.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 8:23 pm

flutch wrote:

I would go that route if they stocked what I want but from what I can see they don't

If something is not listed in the AU portal but is on the US portal, and you know it's legal, just email Bruce and he'll add it to the AU portal for you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 8:31 pm

flutch wrote:um looking for one for a long action 783 to take 30-06 mags to accommodate my 270

Had to set up an account but I ran it and this is the result.

And this is the ITAR pack.
https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/material-downloads/itar/ITAR.pdf

I would suggest you contact them and ask their advice.
As well as contacting some Aussie importers and see if they can get them for you.
Attachments
PTG Shipping.PNG
PTG Shipping.PNG (75.63 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 8:36 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 08 May 2019, 11:59 pm

We are all buying “stuff” at the same time individually - would it be worth putting together bulk orders from a number of members, to one address ? We’d save huge $ on postage, get a discount for the size of the order, and potentially a discount opportunity for the forum ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flutch » 09 May 2019, 12:08 am

TassieTiger wrote:We are all buying “stuff” at the same time individually - would it be worth putting together bulk orders from a number of members, to one address ? We’d save huge $ on postage, get a discount for the size of the order, and potentially a discount opportunity for the forum ?

Novel idea, would probably need an escrow or trust or paypal or something to deposit to, and a digital receipt for all when ordered/paid for, however needs to be setup so if someone doesnt get their stuff they have recourse. just for buyer confidence... but yes like the idea... alternatively they allow it all as separate paypal/CC payments on their end and treat it like a bulk order including the shipping etc....

worth a discussion
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy