Do safety catch have to be marked?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Do safety catch have to be marked?

Post by goldiexxxx » 28 Jul 2021, 12:29 pm

Here is a quick question I was asked by someone online.
My Milsurp rifles all have some form of marking on the safety catch, either an F / S or a coloured dot. Is this an Australian requirement for all firearms? And was this done at the time the rifles were imported as Milsurps? Or was this likely always placed on the rifles by the original military from where they originated?

Thanks.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Do safety catch have to be marked?

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jul 2021, 3:14 pm

G'day Goldiexxxx,
It is a customs requirement for all imported firearms, if a safety is fitted it must indicate the fire position, I had this happen to some rifles I imported in the mid-80's so it has been in place at least since then, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by goldiexxxx » 28 Jul 2021, 7:41 pm

Perfect, thanks for the clarification.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 29 Jul 2021, 8:47 am

Hmm just thinking about all my rifles and which ones don't indicate the fire position...if any. I don't recall any markings on the Lithgow la102. The carcano is another but that feels more like a decocking where the sight picture gets obscured rather than a safety.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 29 Jul 2021, 9:04 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Hmm just thinking about all my rifles and which ones don't indicate the fire position...if any. I don't recall any markings on the Lithgow la102. The carcano is another but that feels more like a decocking where the sight picture gets obscured rather than a safety.

I believe the 102's have a rearward swivelling toggle. The red dot indicating 'fire' is hidden when its rotated backward.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Biscuits » 28 Nov 2021, 9:36 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Goldiexxxx,
It is a customs requirement for all imported firearms, if a safety is fitted it must indicate the fire position, I had this happen to some rifles I imported in the mid-80's so it has been in place at least since then, Cheers.

Is this a requirement even for rifles which never had the fire position marked?

At some stage I may import a 1918 SMLE.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 29 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

Easily achieved.
Just paint with some bright red nail varnish.
Then, when you've navigated the Customs bureaucracy, take the sh!t off with acetone.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws