Is there a requirement to have a red (live) safety dot?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Is there a requirement to have a red (live) safety dot?

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Sep 2021, 10:44 am

I've got a WW2 military rifle with a bolt that has no red dot for live. I also have another bolt that has the red dot.
Does anyone know if/when a law came in to require this feature.

Screenshot_20210911-104257.png
Screenshot_20210911-104257.png (447.59 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Is there a requirement to have a red (live) safety dot?

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Sep 2021, 12:04 pm

Might be a federal law for importation but I have never seen a law in Queensland requiring this. However it is good practise to have the red is dead dot.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Sep 2021, 2:37 pm

G'day Monty Shooter,
It is not a requirement under Victorian State law, you can legally purchase and own a firearm without it, but it is a requirement under laws governing importation. The earliest I can recall being subject to it was 1983 when I imported some rifles. At this time I can no longer remember the actual Act but I have copy of it here in the files, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm

Thanks.
This rifle came from a deceased estate and was supposedly in the country since mid last century. I guess the other bolt showed up much later.
Cheers
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 11 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm

I bought a new Ruger M77/357 bolt action rifle last year and it doesn't have any kind of red dot or other markings on the safety, my shotgun has a stamped 'S' on the manual safety and my other rifles have no safety at all.

I've never heard of it being a requirement to even have a safety mechanism fitted to a firearm and certainly no details about how it should look or operate.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 12 Sep 2021, 6:44 am

Not all have the red dot marking on the metalwork of the receiver or bolt/safety. Some have a less intrusive mark on the stock.
I brought a few ex-service rifles into Aus and simply marked the safety levers with bright red nail varnish. Customs were happy.
Nothing to do with legislation that is administered by police.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2021, 8:54 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Monty Shooter,
It is not a requirement under Victorian State law, you can legally purchase and own a firearm without it, but it is a requirement under laws governing importation. The earliest I can recall being subject to it was 1983 when I imported some rifles. At this time I can no longer remember the actual Act but I have copy of it here in the files, Cheers.

The M1904's I imported a couple years back don't have red.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Sep 2021, 11:42 am

Borderforce require a "functioning safety" for import. There are exclusions, target rifles and pre 1900 for example. I've had two firing pins broken by them dry firing firearms trying to work out if they had a "safety" that worked before they let me explain that they didn't require one.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws