recent high capacity mag import restrictions?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

recent high capacity mag import restrictions?

Post by brett » 26 Oct 2021, 1:57 pm

can anyone tell me what the deal is with high capacity mag imports lately? i keep seeing phrases like "last ones available" and "no more after this" and pricing to match.
despite the wholesale pricing of 17 round and 10 round glock mags being basically the same, the retail price of the 17's are 3 times that of the 10's. and dont get me started on the mark ups on the 31 round funsticks.
brownells.com.au only list capacities up to 10 rounds. what are security and collectors and high cap license holders supposed to do in future?
thanks
brett
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: recent high capacity mag import restrictions?

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 26 Oct 2021, 2:27 pm

You will need an AG permit. I bought a 27 round Glock mag and it is rather expensive.

A 30 round Magpul PMAG is about $15(AUD) in America. Over here they can be up to $200
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2021, 4:11 pm

brett wrote:can anyone tell me what the deal is with high capacity mag imports lately? i keep seeing phrases like "last ones available" and "no more after this" and pricing to match.
despite the wholesale pricing of 17 round and 10 round glock mags being basically the same, the retail price of the 17's are 3 times that of the 10's. and dont get me started on the mark ups on the 31 round funsticks.
brownells.com.au only list capacities up to 10 rounds. what are security and collectors and high cap license holders supposed to do in future?
thanks
brett

I doubt wholesale prices are similar, the time and effort of bringing in high-cap pistol mags has got to drive the price up.
To import one yourself requires an AG permit up front, then a B709 import permit, then often an export permit from the country you're bringing it from. If you get the AG permit then you could talk to Brownells.com.au or Cleaver about trying to get one.

I would think pretty much always it'd be much better/easier/simpler to simply carry a spare 10rd magazine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 26 Oct 2021, 4:33 pm

I had 10 30 round Pmags that I bought online from the US at about $8-9 Border Force is now the proud owner. That was over a year ago close to two.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2021, 5:46 pm

Larry wrote:I had 10 30 round Pmags that I bought online from the US at about $8-9 Border Force is now the proud owner. That was over a year ago close to two.

I bought a perfectly legal 10rd mag for a Remington 513T in 2015, I didn't click that I'd need a B709 (because it's a magazine) as I just added some parts to a larger order I was making from Numrich to offset the postage on the stock (converting the 1940 Remington 510 single-shot into a faux 513T 10-shot repeater for Rose's dad). BF seized it for destruction so I had to order from within Oz. Probably only about $10, but a pain in the arse that made zero difference to public safety (there isn't even a record of who buys magazines once they're imported into the country).

It wasn't a problem as they simply emailed me to let me know there was a problem. I could try applying for a B709 but the guy told me that very rarely did seized items get released - get the B709 _before_ ordering from overseas. I signed a form to allow them to seize and destroy it and nothing more was heard, the rest of the package arrived just fine. I ordered the mag from South Australia and had it quicker than it would've taken to get a B709 approved anyway.

That was before ITAR screwed up ordering anything out of the US.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 26 Oct 2021, 7:07 pm

You can still buy the 30rd magpuls new from some shops but the prices are steep. So yeah no public safety benefit at all
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 26 Oct 2021, 7:12 pm

There needs to be more local production of firearm parts. The federal government may have legal authority over the international border but they have zero legal authority over internal firearm laws.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2021, 7:45 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:There needs to be more local production of firearm parts. The federal government may have legal authority over the international border but they have zero legal authority over internal firearm laws.

I agree that we should make more of it locally, but the costs of making it here prices the product out of the market.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws