Why are pump shotguns Cat C?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Why are pump shotguns Cat C?

Post by bucks_unlimited » 22 Dec 2022, 3:38 am

I was watching a video about Port Arthur (since I wasn’t alive when it happened) and was looking through the comments. A bunch of Aussies were talking about the removal of semi automatic weapons and it had me wondering why pump shotguns fit in the same category? I get that they have a high fire rate and that scares some people but pump action rimfires and centrefires are perfectly legal with a cat A/B license. Even lever action shotguns are legal as long as they are under a certain capacity. So what’s the deal? Why have pump action shotguns been singled out as category C?
bucks_unlimited
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Why are pump shotguns Cat C?

Post by No1_49er » 22 Dec 2022, 4:59 am

Remember, the numpties that create these categories are politicians who, for the most part, have absolutely no knowledge nor understanding of how firearms actually function. None. Worse, they're not really interested in learning, either.
A firearm is a firearm, is a firearm, is a firearm. You have a licence, ergo you have been deemed to be "fit and proper"; if that is not the case please tell me and revoke it, else f^k off and leave me alone!
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 22 Dec 2022, 6:12 am

Isn't the answer obvious?
Little Johnny was afraid of them.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 22 Dec 2022, 6:35 am

The best person to give you a 2 hour explanation of this is Graeme from the F&G.

If I have to summarise pump action shotguns were not on the list initially but were included at the last minute after a politician rang the police or army for their opinion and they said they use pump rather than semi because they are more reliable. The politician thought therefore they are more dangerous and the rest is history.

Graeme can tell you the people involved, the dates and almost word for word. You need to pull up a chair.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bucks_unlimited » 22 Dec 2022, 6:57 am

mchughcb wrote:The best person to give you a 2 hour explanation of this is Graeme from the F&G.

If I have to summarise pump action shotguns were not on the list initially but were included at the last minute after a politician rang the police or army for their opinion and they said they use pump rather than semi because they are more reliable. The politician thought therefore they are more dangerous and the rest is history.

Graeme can tell you the people involved, the dates and almost word for word. You need to pull up a chair.

That’s pretty interesting. I’ve heard a similar story but I didn’t know whether to believe it - that’s why I was trying to find a half logical explanation when I first asked this question. Thanks for the shedding some light on the topic
bucks_unlimited
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Dec 2022, 9:55 am

bucks_unlimited wrote:I was watching a video about Port Arthur (since I wasn’t alive when it happened) and was looking through the comments. A bunch of Aussies were talking about the removal of semi automatic weapons and it had me wondering why pump shotguns fit in the same category? I get that they have a high fire rate and that scares some people but pump action rimfires and centrefires are perfectly legal with a cat A/B license. Even lever action shotguns are legal as long as they are under a certain capacity. So what’s the deal? Why have pump action shotguns been singled out as category C?

No logical reason at all, like most of our firearm laws. None of our firearm laws are aimed at public safety, we have all sorts of criminal law that already covers committing acts of aggression against other people.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Dec 2022, 4:07 pm

For the same reason we have appearance laws ... just because.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 22 Dec 2022, 4:57 pm

bucks_unlimited wrote:
mchughcb wrote:The best person to give you a 2 hour explanation of this is Graeme from the F&G.

That’s pretty interesting. I’ve heard a similar story but I didn’t know whether to believe it - that’s why I was trying to find a half logical explanation when I first asked this question. Thanks for the shedding some light on the topic

Believe it. That's why a remmy pump in 308 is OK but a shottie is not. GE was involved in all these discussions at the highest level.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 22 Dec 2022, 5:15 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:For the same reason we have appearance laws ... just because.

Miss being able to carry my favorite AR lookalike down the main street at lunch time, they really showed us there.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Dec 2022, 5:21 pm

S O K A R wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:For the same reason we have appearance laws ... just because.

Miss being able to carry my favorite AR lookalike down the main street at lunch time, they really showed us there.

:thumbsup:
Walking around with a plane Jane hunting rifle just doesn't cause the same ruckus ... it's like nobody notices.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by yoshie » 22 Dec 2022, 7:48 pm

From what I remember the NSW and VIC police wanted them gone, as most of the violent forearm crimes were being committed with them and not Semi autos. There were also a bunch of police (who only had 38s) that were killed point blank with shotguns.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by womble » 23 Dec 2022, 1:52 am

Nope yoshie, it was on a whim at the last minute. As mchugh explained. There was no rationality involved.
Allthough my understanding was that it was a reporter that made the famous phone call for advice.
Important part of our modern history to remember nonetheless young yoshie.

The great shovel rush of 1996.
An awakening of sorts. Of a free country that would forevermore become a police state.
I do not by any means wish to down play the very real tragedy that was port Arthur. And it’s very real effects on our nations psyche.
But what followed overshadowed it with a dark veil of oppression.
Without a solid constitution and a bill of rights to protect the citizens, the political class seized the opportunity to become a ruling class. The realisation that they could do anything they wanted without conscience presented to them. That power consumed them, and blinded them from contemplation, reflection and foresight.
And till this day, with great frequency and consistency, those guns are unearthed again, in the hands of criminals and organised crime.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws