Cost of importing a firearm from UK to AUS?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Cost of importing a firearm from UK to AUS?

Post by 12G » 28 Oct 2023, 12:41 pm

Considering buying an O/U shotgun from Holt's Auctions in the UK just wondering what the cost of importing would be, including both UK and AUS government charges.

Cheers
12G
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Cost of importing a firearm from UK to AUS?

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Nov 2023, 12:17 pm

Last time I looked it was around 850 pounds for the export paperwork, at current exchange rates that's about $1600, Add shipping at about $400, cost of the firearm then GST on that total (Export Permit, Shipping and Firearm cost all attract GST) and last time I imported a bottle of Scotch I was charged a $90 fee to allow me to pay Border Force the money they wanted, called it a "Facilitation Fee" or some such bollocks. Contact a broker, they will almost always be able to import cheaper than an ordinary person.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2023, 1:24 pm

12G wrote:Considering buying an O/U shotgun from Holt's Auctions in the UK just wondering what the cost of importing would be, including both UK and AUS government charges.

Cheers

I looked at importing from a few places five years ago. US was horrendously expensive, post-covid I would expect it to be even more ridiculous. I priced the UK and mainland Europe but didn't find a rifle there so didn't delve into detailed costing. I ended up importing two from South Africa instead, far cheaper to buy them, and significantly cheaper to send them, but it still took five months.

To import one rifle from the US was going to cost me roughly $3000, including the US$950 cost of the rifle. From SA it cost me $900 I think, to import two rifles, plus GST - the rifles cost me about $250 each from memory.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10381

So you'll need to find somebody in the UK willing to send it to you, and pay whatever fees they require as well as any export permissions. Then the freight on the gun, the GST on the landed cost here, and whatever your dealer wants to charge you to go to the airport and collect it for you. The dealer that you named on your B709 import permit has to collect it from Border Force himself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 04 Nov 2023, 2:55 pm

Must be worthwhile to even consider importing.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2023, 3:38 pm

alexjones wrote:Must be worthwhile to even consider importing.

I wouldn't import anything that is available here, just keep looking until you find one new or secondhand. If you spend $3000 importing a firearm that is, or was, available here for $2000, you have a resale market that is significantly below what you paid for it if you ever decide to pass it on.

But if you want something that is not available here then it can be worth it. I spent a very long time trying to find an M1904 Portuguese Mauser available in Oz. I think I found four or five, all owned by collectors that had no intention of selling them. For me, those were worth the cost of importing. If I ever decide to sell them I should at least break even on them.

I also wouldn't bother importing anything modern, just look at other firearms in the same class until you find something different that you can live with.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 04 Nov 2023, 8:49 pm

Was about $600 from the UK last time I enquired 2 or so years ago

Rhino Sports

http://rhinosport.com.au/index.html
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ederlezi » 09 Nov 2023, 8:29 am

bladeracer wrote:

I wouldn't import anything that is available here, just keep looking until you find one new or secondhand. If you spend $3000 importing a firearm that is, or was, available here for $2000, you have a resale market that is significantly below what you paid for it if you ever decide to pass it on.

But if you want something that is not available here then it can be worth it. I spent a very long time trying to find an M1904 Portuguese Mauser available in Oz. I think I found four or five, all owned by collectors that had no intention of selling them. For me, those were worth the cost of importing. If I ever decide to sell them I should at least break even on them.

I also wouldn't bother importing anything modern, just look at other firearms in the same class until you find something different that you can live with.

There is one for sale ATM at a very reasonable price.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/588961/
ederlezi
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2023, 1:03 pm

ederlezi wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

There is one for sale ATM at a very reasonable price.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/588961/

That's the M1904/39, 8x57mm conversion, and very common - great rifles. I already had two of those, that's why I wanted an original in 6.5x58mm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws