National Firearms Register (NFR)

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

National Firearms Register (NFR)

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2023, 3:07 pm

Well, the National Firearms Register is on the way and will be completed,,,,,,,,sometime in the future.

Eventually :allegedly:
And it's really, really accurate. :allegedly:

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/meeting-nat ... -australia

IIRC this was agreed to in '96. :violin: Some things take time I guess. :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: National Firearms Register (NFR)

Post by Lazarus » 07 Dec 2023, 4:09 pm

I'd like to know how much of the bum- f*ckery going on in WA will be cross pollinated to the rest of us
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2023, 4:15 pm

Lazarus wrote:I'd like to know how much of the bum- f*ckery going on in WA will be cross pollinated to the rest of us

Yes, just perhaps "for the purpose of consistency" inorder to implement the NFR we need to reduce firearm ownership to 5 per licence in all states.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 07 Dec 2023, 5:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Well, the National Firearms Register is on the way and will be completed,,,,,,,,sometime in the future.

Eventually :allegedly:
And it's really, really accurate. :allegedly:

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/meeting-nat ... -australia

IIRC this was agreed to in '96. :violin: Some things take time I guess. :clap:

Well going on my last safe inspection 12 months ago there’s plenty of room for improvement in the accuracy department.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 07 Dec 2023, 6:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I'd like to know how much of the bum- f*ckery going on in WA will be cross pollinated to the rest of us

Yes, just perhaps "for the purpose of consistency" inorder to implement the NFR we need to reduce firearm ownership to 5 per licence in all states.

Yeah it'll be a cost cutting meaure, cut down on data storage costs.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Dec 2023, 6:32 pm

yoshie wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Yeah it'll be a cost cutting meaure, cut down on data storage costs.

At 250 million dollars for the NFR and its obvious ongoing costs plus the possibility of the states keeping their own records as is, Id be amazed if any money is saved.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Dec 2023, 7:11 pm

Just finished checking the Firearms List that came with my Licence Renewal, 6 completely missing and 22 other mistakes. Yeah, a National Register is really going to work.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Just finished checking the Firearms List that came with my Licence Renewal, 6 completely missing and 22 other mistakes. Yeah, a National Register is really going to work.

.Geez, good luck getting all fixed, or is that f***ed

Perhaps PM fionn, he'll get it sorted for you. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 07 Dec 2023, 10:11 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Just finished checking the Firearms List that came with my Licence Renewal, 6 completely missing and 22 other mistakes. Yeah, a National Register is really going to work.

Yeap I have 1 Martini still listed as mine even thou it sold 15 yrs ago, had a safe inspection 2 months ago and yesterday I had the local Plod ring and say they would follow up after asking for all details of the transfer. Unfortunately the dealer went to goal for poor record keeping 9 yrs ago and is bound to be unhelpful.

I have been asked to attend shortly to sign a stat dec, waste of time with the Police running the show :thumbsdown:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 07 Dec 2023, 11:26 pm

Billo wrote:

Yeap I have 1 Martini still listed as mine even thou it sold 15 yrs ago, had a safe inspection 2 months ago and yesterday I had the local Plod ring and say they would follow up after asking for all details of the transfer. Unfortunately the dealer went to goal for poor record keeping 9 yrs ago and is bound to be unhelpful.

I have been asked to attend shortly to sign a stat dec, waste of time with the Police running the show :thumbsdown:

I handed some guns into the local cop shop that were left to me from a deceased relative. One of those was still apparently, according to their records mine. Plus a couple of others that I had sold.
Luckily I kept the paperwork to prove that I’d handed it in. I’ve also kept all the paperwork from any firearm either bought or sold, just for these reasons.
The cops showed up and said, geez, you’ve got X amount of guns. I said no I don’t, but I had the paperwork to prove it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 08 Dec 2023, 12:45 pm

Given that no states FAR is capable of maintaining a simple list of property against a list of correct owners names, it’s a cast iron certainty that a national version will be seven times worse and seven times more expensive.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Dec 2023, 12:50 pm

Noisydad wrote:Given that no states FAR is capable of maintaining a simple list of property against a list of correct owners names, it’s a cast iron certainty that a national version will be seven times worse and seven times more expensive.

Yep, and user pays, so, Licence fees will go up so we can pay for their total lack of competence.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 08 Dec 2023, 1:05 pm

What we need is a shooters voice to parliament.

Oh, wait..........
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Dec 2023, 1:25 pm

Lazarus wrote:What we need is a shooters voice to parliament.

Oh, wait..........

Bloody he'll laz. Get with it. Just call the Powerful Gun Lobby SSAA. 13 11 14 :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 08 Dec 2023, 1:40 pm

Ah, OB, as my sainted Mother used to say, "I laugh so hard I pee Iself, run down I leg and sting Iself"
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by alexjones » 16 Dec 2023, 8:05 am

A national register can get F'ed. Firearms belong to the states and territories. The commonwealth needs to stay out of it as it is unconstitutional and none of their business. Obviously this is not legally binding but an agreement between the states which could easily change.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Dec 2023, 9:14 am

alexjones wrote:A national register can get F'ed. Firearms belong to the states and territories. The commonwealth needs to stay out of it as it is unconstitutional and none of their business. Obviously this is not legally binding but an agreement between the states which could easily change.

Yes, your probably correct. However the states can "sign over" their responsibilities to the federal government.

In this case they are probably just agreeing to provide the data to the federal government and changing the structure of the dbase.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2023, 10:18 am

yeah , that'll creep in eventually . some of the discussion topics "which five guns.." may prove to be more relevant than we imagined :roll:
. at the moment QLD is one of the best states for shooters . i met the prez of shooters union yesterday at my favorite gun smith's . nice fella . had a brief chat about this sort of stuff . we definately need better representation in a political way

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 16 Dec 2023, 12:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
alexjones wrote:A national register can get F'ed. Firearms belong to the states and territories. The commonwealth needs to stay out of it as it is unconstitutional and none of their business. Obviously this is not legally binding but an agreement between the states which could easily change.

Yes, your probably correct. However the states can "sign over" their responsibilities to the federal government.

In this case they are probably just agreeing to provide the data to the federal government and changing the structure of the dbase.

Yes mate they are agreeing to do it because the commonwealth is apparently providing funding. Knowing the states the money will get mismanaged and this wont be an effective system. Because it is a so called "gentleman's agreement" and not in the constitution the states can renege at anytime.

What's next? cars, boats, jet skis? There is zero reason for Canberra to share information of peoples private property with other jurisdictions. Not to mention them knowing about it in the first place. Stick to protecting the national border and let the states and territories deal with their own internal systems.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 16 Dec 2023, 12:12 pm

bigrich wrote:

yeah , that'll creep in eventually . some of the discussion topics "which five guns.." may prove to be more relevant than we imagined :roll:
. at the moment QLD is one of the best states for shooters . i met the prez of shooters union yesterday at my favorite gun smith's . nice fella . had a brief chat about this sort of stuff . we definately need better representation in a political way

:thumbsup:

Apart from no 50bmg, magazine restrictions and the whole "bolt must be removed or action broken" whilst stored QLD is the best state with the NT being the best jurisdiction overall as they are like QLD but have no mag limits.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws