Counter terrorism legislation amendment

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Counter terrorism legislation amendment

Post by Leeross » 09 Jan 2024, 10:48 pm

Gday does anyone have any insight into the prohibited hate symbols bill that just came in on the 8th of January does this affect German marked firearms with the Nazi eagle since some have the swastika? I have contacted numerous gun shops and other Industry people and cannot get a straight answer. Cheers
Leeross
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Counter terrorism legislation amendment

Post by No1_49er » 10 Jan 2024, 6:26 am

Unfortunately, the intentions of this so-called "counter terrorism" legislation are doomed to failure because it conflates the swastika with Nazi evil, whereas it actually predates that usage by many centuries.

The equilateral cross with legs bent at right angles – that looks like swirling arms or a pattern of L shapes – has been a holy symbol in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism for centuries. And, of course, the swastika (or the similar-looking hakenkreuz or hooked cross) is also a symbol of hate, embodying painful and traumatic memories of the Third Reich. The symbol of Nazism, it is associated with genocide and racial hatred after the atrocities of the Holocaust.

The swastika has a long, complex history – much older than its association with Nazi Germany – dating back to prehistoric times. The emblem was a sign of well-being and long life, and was found everywhere, from the tombs of early Christians to the catacombs of Rome and the Lalibela Rock Churches, to the Cathedral of Cordoba. "The motif appears to have first been used in Eurasia, as early as 7,000 years ago, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky… as a symbol of wellbeing in ancient societies," says the Holocaust Encyclopedia.

Which now begs the question - who is going to decide whether the symbol is being used for peaceful purpose, or for some form of hatred, hence the "counter terrorism" label?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 10 Jan 2024, 6:49 am

Yes when I first went to asia I was very surprised to see all the temples covered in the symbol. Of course they all pre date the Nazi use. That led me to investigate further very interesting.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Lazarus » 10 Jan 2024, 7:46 am

No1_49er wrote:Unfortunately, the intentions of this so-called "counter terrorism" legislation are doomed to failure because it conflates the swastika with Nazi evil, whereas it actually predates that usage by many centuries.

The equilateral cross with legs bent at right angles – that looks like swirling arms or a pattern of L shapes – has been a holy symbol in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism for centuries. And, of course, the swastika (or the similar-looking hakenkreuz or hooked cross) is also a symbol of hate, embodying painful and traumatic memories of the Third Reich. The symbol of Nazism, it is associated with genocide and racial hatred after the atrocities of the Holocaust.

The swastika has a long, complex history – much older than its association with Nazi Germany – dating back to prehistoric times. The emblem was a sign of well-being and long life, and was found everywhere, from the tombs of early Christians to the catacombs of Rome and the Lalibela Rock Churches, to the Cathedral of Cordoba. "The motif appears to have first been used in Eurasia, as early as 7,000 years ago, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky… as a symbol of wellbeing in ancient societies," says the Holocaust Encyclopedia.

Which now begs the question - who is going to decide whether the symbol is being used for peaceful purpose, or for some form of hatred, hence the "counter terrorism" label?

I agree in principle with what you're saying, but, as to the decision whether it's being used for religious purposes as originally intended, or as a symbol of hatred by a knuckle dragging neo nazi, it would be fairly easy to distinguish between the two.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Leeross » 10 Jan 2024, 8:14 am

Very interesting I was going to purchase some ww2 era German handguns on my collectors licence I recently got, but now am unsure if this is possible. No one I new in collectors circles bar one dealer new that the date was January 8 that is was coming in and that was a few days before it happened ,how can they bring in new laws without telling anyone the date ? I had heard they were coming in but nowhere saw the start date published.
Leeross
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 10 Jan 2024, 10:19 am

I was watching some documentary on India recently and there were swastikas everywhere, on trucks, buildings, etc.

It was also used in Scandinavia for nearly a thousand years.

Legislation like this I always see as a trojan horse. They legislate uncomfortable or unpopular speech with criminal penalties and then once that precedent is established, they then widen the scope of it, just as they did in Covid and next thing you know cops are beating people for taking a break outside or disagreeing with anything the government does.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 10 Jan 2024, 10:26 am

wanneroo wrote:I was watching some documentary on India recently and there were swastikas everywhere, on trucks, buildings, etc.

It was also used in Scandinavia for nearly a thousand years.

Legislation like this I always see as a trojan horse. They legislate uncomfortable or unpopular speech with criminal penalties and then once that precedent is established, they then widen the scope of it, just as they did in Covid and next thing you know cops are beating people for taking a break outside or disagreeing with anything the government does.

We often disagree wanneroo, hey vive la difference, but I agree fully with you here.

You guys got it right in Skokie, we should take a lesson from it.
Precedent can be a motherfukcer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... _of_Skokie
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jan 2024, 5:50 pm

I was wondering how'd we achieve world peace, who would've thought banning a flag was the answer.
I reckon we should burn history books next and make saying certain things illegal.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2024, 6:14 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I was wondering how'd we achieve world peace, who would've thought banning a flag was the answer.
I reckon we should burn history books next and make saying certain things illegal.

When we burn history books or remove statues of perhaps less than great people history no longer happened. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jan 2024, 6:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I was wondering how'd we achieve world peace, who would've thought banning a flag was the answer.

When we burn history books or remove statues of perhaps less than great people history no longer happened. :allegedly:

Yes, we can fix the past 8-)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 10 Jan 2024, 9:56 pm

Leeross wrote:Gday does anyone have any insight into the prohibited hate symbols bill that just came in on the 8th of January does this affect German marked firearms with the Nazi eagle since some have the swastika? I have contacted numerous gun shops and other Industry people and cannot get a straight answer. Cheers

The bill, basically says you can't display them in a public place with intent of advocacy of hatred or constitutes incitement of another person or group of persons to offend, insult, humiliate, intimidate or use force or violence against a targeted group and not for a religious, academic, educational, artistic, literary or scientific purpose; and not contrary to the public interest.

Read all about it and don't listen to the nut jobs on here.

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r7048_aspassed/toc_pdf/23077b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 11 Jan 2024, 8:43 am

I wonder why they picked the NAZI symbol and not the Hammer and sickle? The NAZI government was only in power for 12 years yet commies are still a threat to world peace to this day.

NAZI and commie are the exact same philosophy they just have a different boogie man. One is focused on class and the other race but they both want state control of everything.

commie = Blames the evil capitalist for all the worlds problems and wants workers purity.
NAZI = Blames the evil jew for all the worlds problems and wants racial purity.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 11 Jan 2024, 9:06 am

alexjones wrote:I wonder why they picked the NAZI symbol and not the Hammer and sickle? The NAZI government was only in power for 12 years yet commies are still a threat to world peace to this day.

NAZI and commie are the exact same philosophy they just have a different boogie man. One is focused on class and the other race but they both want state control of everything.

commie = Blames the evil capitalist for all the worlds problems and wants workers purity.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, alexjones.
The "demographic" that hides behind the race card most is behind this silliness.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by alexjones » 11 Jan 2024, 9:32 am

Lazarus wrote:
alexjones wrote:I wonder why they picked the NAZI symbol and not the Hammer and sickle? The NAZI government was only in power for 12 years yet commies are still a threat to world peace to this day.

The "demographic" that hides behind the race card most is behind this silliness.

I can't remember the last time I walked down the street and seen a NAZI yet I see commies often. Personally apart from underage adult movies I don't think anything should be banned. Keep things in the open so it is easier to observe then push it underground. All bans do is create black markets and the demand becomes greater because people want what they can't have. Imagine bikies selling NAZI memorabilia alongside their meth and guns because it is profitable.

Social morals and shaming is a better deterrent than out right bans.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 11 Jan 2024, 10:54 am

alexjones wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

I can't remember the last time I walked down the street and seen a NAZI yet I see commies often. Personally apart from underage adult movies I don't think anything should be banned. Keep things in the open so it is easier to observe then push it underground. All bans do is create black markets and the demand becomes greater because people want what they can't have. Imagine bikies selling NAZI memorabilia alongside their meth and guns because it is profitable.

Social morals and shaming is a better deterrent than out right bans.

Well said alex.
Unfortunately, politicians see votes in pandering to the softcockery of karens.
They banned alcohol in the Ewe-Essay and Al Capone, to name one, made over $100 million per year, $1.6 billion in today's money.

Thr "war" on drugs has legislated trillions of dollars into the hands of organised criminals and wasted trillions more trying to prevent people from getting what they want.

Both failed, both imprisoned 10s of thousands for what is a basically victimless crime
That's the important part here, drugs only became a social problem after prohibition.

Ridiculously hypothetical, but just imagine, all drugs legal, regulated, clinically produced and taxed like the two legal drugs, cigarettes and alcohol. All those billions diverted from crime gangs to hospitals and schools, what's the downside?
The people who don't want to use drugs, like those who don't want to smoke or drink, are not likely to suddenly get the urge to shoot up if they were legalised.
Only the wilfully ignorant would believe otherwise.

I find it outrageously ironic that the two legal recreational drugs kill more than all the illicit drugs combined.
SmartSelect_20240111_114549_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20240111_114549_Chrome.jpg (409.91 KiB) Viewed 407 times

(https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/subs ... ect-deaths)

As I said squeaky wheels get the grease.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws