National Database

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

National Database

Post by str8shutr » 27 Apr 2024, 10:12 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-27/ ... /103774904

Let's see what $160m gets us.

Fed vs state argie bargie usually generates some excitement.
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: National Database

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Apr 2024, 12:53 pm

It won't get us anything much, the State Registries re full of errors, and these will be passed on to the National and screw it up also. Another shemozzle, just a more expensive one needing more (un)-Civil Servants to be hired to try and run it. Jobs for the boys?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2024, 12:59 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:It won't get us anything much, the State Registries re full of errors, and these will be passed on to the National and screw it up also. Another shemozzle, just a more expensive one needing more (un)-Civil Servants to be hired to try and run it. Jobs for the boys?

that's my assessment . wouldn't be at all surprised if they try to sneak in extra rules and restrictions as well. remember when there was talk of ammo restrictions and such . officer says ,"so mr mk3 , how much ammo , powder and primers do you have in your possession ......." :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 27 Apr 2024, 5:19 pm

officer says ,"so mr mk3 , how much ammo , powder and primers do you have in your possession ......."

Well the straight answer would be" Under the current availability...........sweet FA" :(
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2024, 5:30 pm

Bugman wrote:officer says ,"so mr mk3 , how much ammo , powder and primers do you have in your possession ......."

Well the straight answer would be" Under the current availability...........sweet FA" :(

the fact that it could become more regulated worries me , i don't trust the public servants and pollies when it comes to making changes to firearm laws
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm

The assholes are spruking it will make cops and the public safer ...... firearms rego never has and never will just like avo's
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Apr 2024, 6:51 pm

Lots of $ for zero benefits.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Apr 2024, 8:54 pm

bigrich wrote:
the fact that it could become more regulated worries me , i don't trust the public servants and pollies when it comes to making changes to firearm laws

So,,, Who in your opinion, would you trust ? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Apr 2024, 9:04 pm

That's around $32.50 per licenced firearms owner,
Its probably a bargain, and definitely another breach of security waiting to happen.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 Apr 2024, 5:37 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bigrich wrote:

good question , one i don't have a solid answer to . any change to the current administration of firearm laws MAY have a negative impact in some way . what worries me , as i stated earlier , is changes being snuck in with the national register . maybe it's just the start of a creep towards WA style laws . shooters of large bore guns in my local "big game " shoot have been receiving letters to "advise" them and inform them about whether a large caliber caliber is necessary . there's more to it that i won't post , but a state champ actually rung them up and sent a letter justifying his large calibers upon having to renew his license .

who do i trust , only firearm advocate groups like shooters union . it's hard to trust ANY politician or public servant . especially when their making laws on something they know very little about or understand . you tell non-shooters you hunt and do target shooting , especially in the city , and see what stereotype they conjure up about it . and their only too happy to support tougher laws . cause as we all know tougher guns laws will stop crime ..... :sarcasm:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by alexjones » 28 Apr 2024, 6:44 am

These extracts of the article annoy me. So firearm owners are risks to the community? Also "reform" of systems is never good.

"Once established, police will know where firearms are, who owns them, and what other risks to the community and police may exist"

"The money will also be used to support extensive reform of existing Commonwealth, state and territory firearms management systems, creating a central hub of information from each jurisdiction."

Have you lads spoken to your federal MP and told him to stay in Canberra and leave the firearm laws to the states and territories? I certainty have.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2024, 7:09 am

bigrich wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
bigrich wrote:

good question , one i don't have a solid answer to . any change to the current administration of firearm laws MAY have a negative impact in some way . what worries me , as i stated earlier , is changes being snuck in with the national register . maybe it's just the start of a creep towards WA style laws . shooters of large bore guns in my local "big game " shoot have been receiving letters to "advise" them and inform them about whether a large caliber caliber is necessary . there's more to it that i won't post , but a state champ actually rung them up and sent a letter justifying his large calibers upon having to renew his license .

who do i trust? only firearm advocate groups like shooters union . it's hard to trust ANY politician or public servant . especially when their making laws on something they know very little about or understand . you tell non-shooters you hunt and do target shooting , especially in the city , and see what stereotype they conjure up about it . and their only too happy to support tougher laws . cause as we all know tougher guns laws will stop crime ..... :sarcasm:

Spot on
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 28 Apr 2024, 8:17 am

alexjones wrote:"Once established, police will know where firearms are, who owns them, and what other risks to the community and police may exist"

A totally disingenuous piece of verbiage!
The whereabouts of all firearms owned by LAFOs is already known, albeit that it is in the respective State or Territory Registries, all of which are known to have errors.
To combine these into a national database will simply perpetuate the same, if not more, errors.

The greater problem is that it becomes a "shopping list" for a rogue political regime which decrees that civilian ownership of firearms is no longer acceptable i.e., "in the public interest". How did that work out for the Germans, prior to WW2, as an example?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

Ummm, what will happen when hackers get hold of it?

Can someone guess?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws