Importing firearm etc. while travelling abroad

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing firearm etc. while travelling abroad

Post by eeckle » 07 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip towards the end of the year to the US. No plans to buy anything while I'm there yet, but who knows what you find when your actually there.

So what happens if I want to bring something back on the spur of the moment?

Can I apply or declare stuff to bring it back into Aus while I'm on the outside?

It wouldn't be a full rifle or pistol, but if I can buy a cheap stock, projectiles, knives, that kind of stuff that we're allowed but with permits.

Anyone know the score?
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Importing firearm etc. while travelling abroad

Post by Tiiger » 12 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm

Depends what it is.

You'd need an approved import permit for some stuff, same as having it send while you're local.

I would think organising it from overseas while you're there is going to be all but impossible though.

Waiting for the permit alone you'll probably be home by then.

Others like fixed blade knives no permit is required I think?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 12 Sep 2014, 1:12 pm

If you've got some rellies or someone that will store some toys for you, you could buy them and leave them with the rellies.

Do the permit for everything required once you get home and can wait for approval at your leisure, then have them send the goods.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by eeckle » 12 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

Figured I'd be hoping for too much with just declaring it.

Not going to bother with permits while travelling. Oh well, just means a few less impulse purchases anyway :lol:
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 12 Sep 2014, 2:22 pm

Dont waste the opportunity while o/s...
knives are either allowed or not allowed, as far as I'm aware, if allowed theres no permit, please correct me if wrong but the prohibited knives are allowed for collectors only, the allowed knives, being hunting, non-daggers, non-assisted opening, 2-handed folders etc - no permit...

Other stuff, consider applying for the 709 before leaving, say permit for 1000 cases, 2000 projectiles, 4 stocks... there should be no cost for the permit and if you import 750 cases or 100 projectiles.... no biggie...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 12 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

The relevant knives are the only thing you can bring in off the cuff I'm pretty sure. No fold up knives though.

Anything firearms related - empty brass, bullets - even if it doesn't go band requires a permit.

Doing the permit before has is an idea like 1290 says though.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by eeckle » 15 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

If there is no cost to submit permits doing a few before hand is definitely an idea :) :) :)
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Plinker » 24 Nov 2017, 8:09 pm

Tiiger wrote:Depends what it is.

You'd need an approved import permit for some stuff, same as having it send while you're local.

I would think organising it from overseas while you're there is going to be all but impossible though.

Waiting for the permit alone you'll probably be home by then.

Others like fixed blade knives no permit is required I think?

How do you get an approved import permit - say I want to buy a rifle in the US and bring it home?
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Nov 2017, 12:18 pm

I'm intrigued at the no folding knives, thing. Is this just from the US ? I declared my folding knife coming back from Norfolk Island into Brisbane and from NZ into Melbourne, no worries with customs on either occasion. Brought my bows back from a 3D competition at Norfolk Island without permits, minor hassle at customs when half of the plane didn't declare their bows as weapons but all good at the end of the day.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2017, 1:06 pm

Plinker wrote:How do you get an approved import permit - say I want to buy a rifle in the US and bring it home?

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34423
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Nov 2017, 6:06 pm

I'm not sure exactly how you would be able to buy a firearm in the US as you need to be a citizen to buy a firearm in the US :unknown:
I don't want to be a killjoy but a lot of what we think and hear about the gun culture in the US is just rubbish
my daughter who has lived in the US in 5 different states has been applying for American citizenship for over 4 years now and cannot buy any legal firearms in the US until she has it, there has to be a way maybe an importer to send straight to a dealer in AU but I would not be getting my hopes up to be able to go to wallmarts buy a firearm and bring it back on the plane, also a lot of things now need an export licence that costs $375 US even to bring back on the plane walked through customs, these things have to have the export licence, time to do some checking I think

but ps if you get the export licence you can get me some barrels and bring them back :thumbsup: I will get the import permit from here :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 25 Nov 2017, 6:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Plinker wrote:How do you get an approved import permit - say I want to buy a rifle in the US and bring it home?

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34423

The old B709B eh...rang licensing division yesterday to be told yes I can bring in a firearm from the US but that it would need to be imported through a dealer. Really - what's in it for the dealer to act as an agent to import a firearm for me given I can buy a rifle at Cabelas for much <$. No doubt the dealer would try to sell me something else or slug me with a fee making the whole thing a waste of time...bs rules. :thumbsdown:

On a lighter note...had a good session with the savage this afternoon, nice groups with CCI mini mags in state Forrest - Nikon BDC performing nicely...
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 25 Nov 2017, 6:26 pm

Without a valid US drivers licence or other proof of residency in whatever state your in you cant buy a firearm legally,i don't know how you would go at one of their gun shows.Marksman your daughter should be able to purchase if she gets or changes over her lic to US.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 25 Nov 2017, 6:29 pm

marksman wrote:I'm not sure exactly how you would be able to buy a firearm in the US as you need to be a citizen to buy a firearm in the US :unknown:
I don't want to be a killjoy but a lot of what we think and hear about the gun culture in the US is just rubbish
my daughter who has lived in the US in 5 different states has been applying for American citizenship for over 4 years now and cannot buy any legal firearms in the US until she has it, there has to be a way maybe an importer to send straight to a dealer in AU but I would not be getting my hopes up to be able to go to wallmarts buy a firearm and bring it back on the plane, also a lot of things now need an export licence that costs $375 US even to bring back on the plane walked through customs, these things have to have the export licence, time to do some checking I think

but ps if you get the export licence you can get me some barrels and bring them back :thumbsup: I will get the import permit from here :drinks:

I'm not sure that's completely right, it might vary by state. I've been shooting with work colleagues in Michigan for a few years now and did a concealed carry course there (good info n worth while). No you cannot buy a handgun if not US citizen but in Michigan, a visitor can get a permit to hunt and with that you can buy a long rifle. Pity you can't bring it home to oz, Cabelas and Gander Mountain <<<< $ than oz...
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2017, 6:34 pm

Plinker wrote:The old B709B eh...rang licensing division yesterday to be told yes I can bring in a firearm from the US but that it would need to be imported through a dealer. Really - what's in it for the dealer to act as an agent to import a firearm for me given I can buy a rifle at Cabelas for much <$. No doubt the dealer would try to sell me something else or slug me with a fee making the whole thing a waste of time...bs rules. :thumbsdown:

On a lighter note...had a good session with the savage this afternoon, nice groups with CCI mini mags in state Forrest - Nikon BDC performing nicely...

Doesn't matter where it comes from, any firearm you add to your licence has to come through a dealer in your state.
I don't see any value in buying a firearm overseas that you can already buy here...although I'm still waiting on a rifle ordered from NIOA two-and-a-half weeks ago. It seems it didn't get sent until the 21st.

I'd like to import a 6.5mm M1904 Mauser from South Africa, but I would expect it to cost a fair bit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Plinker » 25 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Plinker wrote:The old B709B eh...rang licensing division yesterday to be told yes I can bring in a firearm from the US but that it would need to be imported through a dealer. Really - what's in it for the dealer to act as an agent to import a firearm for me given I can buy a rifle at Cabelas for much <$. No doubt the dealer would try to sell me something else or slug me with a fee making the whole thing a waste of time...bs rules. :thumbsdown:

Doesn't matter where it comes from, any firearm you add to your licence has to come through a dealer in your state.
I don't see any value in buying a firearm overseas that you can already buy here...

So much for free market n free trade. Not trying to be a smartasre but the value I see is in the price - you can get the same gun in the US for like 60-70% of what you pay here. If I have a firearms license and I'm over there anyway, I can't see why I shouldn't be able to buy a rifle which is legal here and bring it home. More bs rules...
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 25 Nov 2017, 11:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:Doesn't matter where it comes from, any firearm you add to your licence has to come through a dealer in your state.

Not in WA :D

I've personally imported 4 revolvers and two unfired commemorative 45/70's (now used :D ) and two 357 rifles.

Under the old system several years ago when licencing was done by your local Police an officer arranged for Senior Inspectors approval for the two 45/70's and without having to (applicants had to apply to central firearms for a B709) she also sort approval from central firearms for B709's all in the same afternoon I applied. Sent B709's to my US exporter who shipped them.

Collected them from customs 3 weeks later using a Police permit and as they were already preapproved my local Police just did a quick check of them and noted their details on my licence and that was it.

The rest were similar but all applications were now dealt with by central firearms but again B709's were issued within 3 hours. Upon collection from Customs I did have to take these to a dealer for storage until I received an amended licence etc but the dealer had no input with their actual importation.

Plinker is correct in that all these firearms even with final costs added were a fraction of their cost compared to Oz prices.

Unfortunately, the awesome exporter I used no longer does this as she has moved on. Her costs were a fraction of what I see being charged now, ie $75 for a US export permit, $100 for packaging and shipping and 5% of cost of each firearm.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Plinker » 27 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

Hugh wrote:Without a valid US drivers licence or other proof of residency in whatever state your in you cant buy a firearm legally,i don't know how you would go at one of their gun shows.Marksman your daughter should be able to purchase if she gets or changes over her lic to US.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-ali ... e-firearms
If this is true, it says you can buy a rifle
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

Plinker wrote:
Hugh wrote:Without a valid US drivers licence or other proof of residency in whatever state your in you cant buy a firearm legally,i don't know how you would go at one of their gun shows.Marksman your daughter should be able to purchase if she gets or changes over her lic to US.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-ali ... e-firearms
If this is true, it says you can buy a rifle

Yes, if you live there on an immigration visa, meaning you're staying there, not simply visiting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws