Can I buy Gun parts online from US to AUS?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Can I buy Gun parts online from US to AUS?

Post by TBJ » 20 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

Hi all
i have just bought a remington 700, and want to buy some parts, Trigger, Scope, bases, stock, bipod, magazine mod kit.
can i buy these online and get them delivered from the US as they are much cheaper?
thanks
Jez
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Can I buy Gun parts online from US to AUS?

Post by southeast varmiter » 20 Jan 2016, 10:32 am

You will hit ITAR that stops US shops from exporting without permit. Unless you have an import licence most items cannot be brought in as an individual.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 20 Jan 2016, 11:47 am

ok so if the seller can send it then it should be fine?
does that count for scopes aswell?
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 20 Jan 2016, 11:49 am

and what about buying them if i'm over in the US? will i be able to bring them back?
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Jan 2016, 1:18 pm

Some 'military' style scopes are restricted from exporting the US by ITAR but most scopes are OK to buy online; the websites usually state if a particular scope is restricted by ITAR. Not sure about triggers but magazines require an Australian Customs B709 form to import. It is neither expensive nor difficult to to obtain a B709. If you want a particular bottom metal for your rifle, order it without a mag and get the mag in Aust, or just get the B709. You will still need the B709 if you are travelling to the States. Others will know more about purchasing "StateSide".

Look up 'trigger job' on Ebay Australia and you will find a guy who does great trigger work for about $60 return mail. Davies are also an Aussie company that make comp grade triggers to suit the Rem700 platform; just search for Davies Triggers.

The rest of the stuff you have mentioned should be no issue to order online, unless the brand you want restricts US export to protect international agency profits.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 20 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

Looking at your list I don't see any issues with the items but it will depend on how they get classified. If it's accessories then no issues but if any of it get classified as a firearm part then you will have to get a B709 sorted and possibly a dealer will have to collect on your behalf from customs which will entail a fee I'm sure. Most of those items should be available locally and although may appear expensive on the surface might actually be cheaper than buying from the U.S taking into account fees, shipping and current exchange rates.
I'm in the process of importing a barrel and an action from the U.S, almost 4k US for parts and another $1200 in handling fees and ITAR permits. Then I'll get nailed on import duties, dealer fees and probably GST :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 28 Jan 2016, 3:16 pm

Yeah they sting you good on those import duties.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Korkt » 11 Feb 2016, 8:53 am

Trigger - Needs import permit.

Scope - Ok

Bases - Ok

Stock - Permit required for folding, detachable or adjustable stock. Technically nothing required for regular 1 piece stock but some people to get pulled up with a query before it gets let through.

Bipod - Ok

Magazine mod kit - Needs permit.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AnotherMisfire » 11 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm

brett1868 wrote:Looking at your list I don't see any issues with the items but it will depend on how they get classified. If it's accessories then no issues but if any of it get classified as a firearm part then you will have to get a B709 sorted and possibly a dealer will have to collect on your behalf from customs which will entail a fee I'm sure. Most of those items should be available locally and although may appear expensive on the surface might actually be cheaper than buying from the U.S taking into account fees, shipping and current exchange rates.
I'm in the process of importing a barrel and an action from the U.S, almost 4k US for parts and another $1200 in handling fees and ITAR permits. Then I'll get nailed on import duties, dealer fees and probably GST :(

Brett's right - it doesn't sound like you are talking about anything which it an "essential firearm component" (wording varies by state).

A 4 year old can legally bring in a scope.

Give the Vic Registry a call on the trigger parts though - I'm not 100% on that one.
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Lyam » 16 Feb 2016, 2:11 pm

Importing firearm parts and accessories

The importation of firearm parts and accessories is controlled under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 (the Regulations). Importers must obtain permission to bring firearms into Australia.

Firearm parts

To import firearm parts into Australia, importers must first obtain written certification from the police firearms or weapons registry in their State or Territory or written permission to import from the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department prior to importation.

Firearms parts, whether or not complete, damaged, temporarily or permanently inoperable or unfinished, include:

• a gas piston, friction assembly, action bar (including handgun slides), breech bolt or breech block
  • a firearm barrel
  • a trigger mechanism
  • a frame or receiver
  • a slide
  • an upper receiver
  • a lower receiver
  • a bolt carrier
  • something other than a complete firearm, that includes one or more of the above items
  • a revolving cylinder
  • a folding stock
  • a detachable stock
  • an adjustable stock.

Firearm accessories

To import firearm accessories into Australia, importers must first obtain written permission from the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department.

Permission to import might only be granted where the firearm accessories are for specific purposes.

Firearm accessories, whether or not complete, damaged, temporarily or permanently inoperable or unfinished, include:

• a silencer (sound moderator)
  • a device designed to modify, or capable of converting, a firearm to give it burst fire, semi-automatic operation or fully-automatic operation
  • a firearm part to which a firearm accessory is attached or is integral.

https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Pro ... ccessories
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 10 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm

a device designed to modify, or capable of converting, a firearm to give it burst fire, semi-automatic operation or fully-automatic operation

What is this device that magically turns rifles into automatics?

And where can I get one :lol:
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 10 Mar 2016, 2:25 pm

We suck. Sorry :(

Try Canada.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 10 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

I looked up Track Of The Wolf in the US for .50-70 unprimed brass. They have them but cant export a packet of brass tubes!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 6:01 pm

Xerox wrote:
a device designed to modify, or capable of converting, a firearm to give it burst fire, semi-automatic operation or fully-automatic operation

What is this device that magically turns rifles into automatics?

And where can I get one :lol:

Several semi autos can easily be converted. There are kits for the 10/22. So can glock pistols with a sear kit, but they get red hot and burn your hands.. ouch! :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by TheDude » 10 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm

Noisydad wrote:I looked up Track Of The Wolf in the US for .50-70 unprimed brass. They have them but cant export a packet of brass tubes!

I've read a few of the US stores can't export rifle or pistol brass but can export shotgun hulls or brass cases without export permits. You might be able to find a Canadian store that will export, will just need a b709 then for the import. Else try Rebel gun works or one of the other local mobs that stock Bertram.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by coloradoboy » 14 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

damn must suck living all the way in Australia. y'all need to import everything firearm related.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
coloradoboy
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 15 Mar 2016, 2:46 am

Their ammo is the worst part. They make all the powder and parts, send it to us, we assemble and send it back to them and charge 3x as much as we charge ourselves. We're like China. Then they make their own ammo, ship it to us nearly for free, and charge their own people 3x as much. They can't win. They are getting screwed at both ends.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by RealNick » 17 Mar 2016, 1:20 pm

coloradoboy wrote:damn must suck living all the way in Australia. y'all need to import everything firearm related.

Just having to import stuff isn't that bad, the problem is the price doubles or triples by the time it gets here :thumbsdown:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Smokey » 15 Oct 2016, 3:33 pm

I've read through this post and cant seem to find where a screw on Muzzle Brake or muzzle brake / compensator fits in?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time, We would.
Smokey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2016, 5:11 pm

Smokey wrote:I've read through this post and cant seem to find where a screw on Muzzle Brake or muzzle brake / compensator fits in?

Generally not a problem, but if it's marketed as quietening the sound in anyway don't be surprised if Customs grab it as a silencer.
Your best bet is to apply for an import permit first, then your paperwork comes with the brake and customs won't stop it.
If it's a cheap one though I would just order it, but make sure the seller doesn't try to disguise it as being something else. I've bought some brakes and flash hiders out of China via Ebay with no problems at all.
Customs don't mind so much if you import something by mistake.
I imported a stock with a magazine in 2014 which they grabbed. They destroyed the mag but the stock and some other firearm parts were okay, after a couple weeks swapping emails with Customs.
That was from Numrich GunParts.

I'm currently hunting for a flash hider for an M38 Mauser myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Smokey » 15 Oct 2016, 5:46 pm

Thanks mate, I had to sell all my guns a while ago due to being "In between Jobs" and am now able to start buying new ones. I'm looking at jumping on the Ruger scout band wagon. I know the composite stock model has a brake but not too sure on how good the stock is. I hear they are crap, Don't know how so.
So, If I go a 16.5" laminate stock I'd be probably looking around for a decent add on.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time, We would.
Smokey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

Smokey wrote:Thanks mate, I had to sell all my guns a while ago due to being "In between Jobs" and am now able to start buying new ones. I'm looking at jumping on the Ruger scout band wagon. I know the composite stock model has a brake but not too sure on how good the stock is. I hear they are crap, Don't know how so.
So, If I go a 16.5" laminate stock I'd be probably looking around for a decent add on.

Have you used rifles with muzzle brakes before, or more importantly, been around others shooting with them?
I bought them primarily to direct blast away from the ground when shooting prone, but I'm not a fan, I prefer a simple flash hider that's closed on the bottom.
Depends on what it is that you want from your stock, I have three Ruger Americans in plastic and love them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Smokey » 15 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

Not owned one but shot a few, Yes I know the blast.
My last scrub gun was a SO Shorty .243, It was only 85cm long and no fixture at the pointy end. I got used to the blast.
I don't intentionally shoot prone with a scrub gun so maybe I need more help than I think I do.
Maybe I should start another thread, I think I've hijacked this one.
Smokey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 15 Oct 2016, 9:19 pm

Smokey wrote:I've read through this post and cant seem to find where a screw on Muzzle Brake or muzzle brake / compensator fits in?

Muzzlebrakes arent a problem on our end but they are an ITAR restricted item in the US that requires a permit there to be posted out of US. Mate who makes them has that issue to even try send to Canada.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by colinbentley » 05 Nov 2016, 10:59 pm

Boy are you right ! I just imported Wipeout from the US,,,,,price about $20......landed in Oz....$80. It was worth it to prove wrong everyone who told me I couldn't import it !
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by POD89 » 06 Nov 2016, 12:54 pm

You think its bad
Try Western Australia.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 07 Nov 2016, 9:23 am

POD89 wrote:Try Western Australia.

Nope :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Lindal » 07 Nov 2016, 11:13 pm

Can you suggest anyone who can help me bring in a bolt for a rifle from an online store.A family member left me a Sako a2 .308. Unfortunately he put the bolt in a "safe place" while the rifle was being restocked, Its location will forever be a mystery
I would really like to replace it but don't know how to go about it I've seen one for sale online in the US
Last edited by Lindal on 09 Nov 2016, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindal
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by ICEng » 08 Nov 2016, 7:18 pm

coloradoboy wrote:damn must suck living all the way in Australia. y'all need to import everything firearm related.

Not everything :) We fabricate a lot of things by hand, especially the random hard to find bits. We do a lot of importing too, though. Some things are just easier to bring over (not enough hours in the day).
Ignition Custom Engineering - manufacuring gunsmiths & firearm services
www.iceng.com.au | Ph 0402219831 | sales@iceng.com.au
ICEng
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Jt-2019 » 16 Feb 2020, 9:44 am

I recently also had this issue best thing to do is email border security with the link of what you want to import and they will be able to tell you straight away if you can A import it at all B import it with permits or C import no permits
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws