Importing guns into Oz

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing guns into Oz

Post by DrewRoss » 03 Jul 2017, 11:08 am

Hi lads,

Had dinner with a friend of mine last night from the States. He was telling me that he wants to import his guns from the US to Australia so he can take up shooting again.

Is this possible and if so, what would be his first step (apart from getting his licence)? His guns are all cat A and B so no probs there. Thanks in advance for your help.
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Importing guns into Oz

Post by doc » 03 Jul 2017, 12:00 pm

Check out https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Pro ... b-firearms

Should be a summary of information there on what is required,

From what I can tell you will require a B709A form. It also appears as though testing is required. (I wonder if this means the ABF tests each firearm that's imported? Might make sense why some brand new firearms I've purchased have been fired and left uncleaned). Where do I apply for that job? :lol:

The website says that you will require permission from the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department prior to importation.I'm not sure whether the B709A form covers that, or whether a separate permission note would be required.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jul 2017, 1:24 pm

DrewRoss, much will depend on the type of firearms and what state he intends to reside in. Daryl from Meplat Firearm services in VIC has been importing from the US for several years and are in the process of importing a custom 50BMG for a friend of mine. Get your friend to contact Daryl and let them sort it out between them cause while it's not overly difficult on the Aus side to import the US side of export can be complicated process.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by DrewRoss » 03 Jul 2017, 5:20 pm

Thanks guys. Has anyone dealt with Blackrange? They do the same thing as Meplat apparently.
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by DrewRoss » 03 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm

And on. The type of guns we're talking 300WM a 22LR and a couple of 12G. DB shoties
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 03 Jul 2017, 6:57 pm

Unless they are special or particularly expensive, is it really cost effective?

Would it be more economical to sell his guns there and buy new ones here?

I'm just curious. Strikes me as an expensive process to import guns on a small scale.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2017, 7:32 pm

I am not sure about other states but I can see no problem with packing them as luggage and licensing them when you get here just need a $35 serviceability certificate and a reason why you need them or same thing and ship them.In pieces they are no different from handtools
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 03 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

One thing some people forget is that while here in Australia we need the import permits, some international firearms dealers or manufactures lack the required export permits or reside in a country with strict export requirements.

I actually reached out to Southern Gun Company about their lever release rifles and they confirmed they have the required export permits, so that’s one step closer to testing our laws and finding out if it’s aloud in
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1886 » 03 Jul 2017, 9:52 pm

I've previously personally imported 4 revolvers and 4 rifles direct from the US and obtaining the B709's took less than an hour. For basic firearms these are issued by the Police on behalf of ABF.

On arrival not being licenced his guns would be seized but held while a licence was procured, however it would be wise to check with Police as to whether they would issue a B709 to someone not yet licenced.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by DrewRoss » 04 Jul 2017, 7:07 am

Supaduke wrote:Unless they are special or particularly expensive, is it really cost effective?

Would it be more economical to sell his guns there and buy new ones here?

I'm just curious. Strikes me as an expensive process to import guns on a small scale.

They're his late father's guns so they hold sentimental value.
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jul 2017, 9:42 am

duncan61 wrote:I am not sure about other states but I can see no problem with packing them as luggage and licensing them when you get here just need a $35 serviceability certificate and a reason why you need them or same thing and ship them.In pieces they are no different from handtools

This does not sound right? :unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 05 Jul 2017, 12:14 am

Because it isn't :crazy:

He would be stopped getting on his flight by some burly US security dudes and also having no export permit would be the least of his worries.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jul 2017, 6:54 am

Yeah I thought there might be a difference between firearms and hand tools. :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws