Random Blackpowder thread.

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Random Blackpowder thread.

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2022, 2:56 pm

mobile 087.jpg
Random BP thread
mobile 087.jpg (57.68 KiB) Viewed 4487 times

In the absence of a dedicated blackpowder section I thought I'd start a thread here for random blackpowder bits n pieces... I truly wish we had a dedicated section as I'm getting keen on expanding my BP collection and skill set with flintlock and BP shotgun loads.

As requested by Bigpete, here's a picture of my most recent project... here's cheers Bigpete :drinks:
I wasn't happy with the modern varnish finish on my replica Hawkins .50cal, so I decided to strip the varnish and finish it in oil for a more traditional finish. I'm even considering refinishing the metalwork in a rust brown at a later stage for that proper antique finish... that'll come later.

After a complete breakdown I simply used some heavy duty paint stripper, scrubbed it under water, scrapped of what didn't budge then spent about 3 hours sanding it down in ever decreasing coarseness until the stock was polished with 000 steel wool.
After applying some boiled linseed oil I discovered that Tung oil is far superior, so off I went to town and bought some along with some Gum Turpentine to thin the first two coats... what! $$$ :crazy: $$$
It's going to be a time consuming process as I'll need 24 to 48 hours between coats.
Unfortunately I don't have any good close-ups from before but it's definitely looking so much better with the natural finish 8-)
Screenshot_20220403-140756_Gallery.jpg
Before photo
Screenshot_20220403-140756_Gallery.jpg (517.96 KiB) Viewed 4487 times

Screenshot_20220403-142038_Gallery.jpg
Oiled Stock
Screenshot_20220403-142038_Gallery.jpg (296.33 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Random Blackpowder thread.

Post by bigpete » 03 Apr 2022, 3:15 pm

I actually thought we had a blackpowder thread that died due to lack of interest/participation.

Looks good ! Far better than my dikar hawken does.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 03 Apr 2022, 4:25 pm

OOW I’m pretty sure you’re not addicted yet and can still quit black powder annnny time you want!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2022, 6:17 pm

bigpete wrote:I actually thought we had a blackpowder thread that died due to lack of interest/participation.

We've definitely hat a few topics come up but to my knowledge we haven't had a dedicated section that's broken down into all the BP subsections.
This Hawkin isn't too bad but it's far from a great reproduction.
It's made by Euroarms in Italy, pretty sure it's proof marks suggests it's proofed in 1977, typical 1:48" well made hardware but unfortunately it uses a coil spring action... powerful hammer but far from authentic. Barrel condition would be a 7 / 10 with great rifling but one slightly pitted section from a previous owner failing to clean it properly at some point.

Noisydad wrote:OOW I’m pretty sure you’re not addicted yet and can still quit black powder annnny time you want!

I'd definitely agree with that Noisydad... I'm in full control, the only BP problem I have is that I only own one and ill only becabke to shoot one at a time :lol:
I might go and visit a club soon, there's one nearby but with period dress mandatory, I'll need to work on my outfit.

Watching a good video on using Pure Tung oil... apparently it actually needs up to 3 days minimum between coats for best results... looks like it could be a few weeks before the stick is finished, it's definitely worth the effort though, already I can see the finish will be far better than linseed oil. :thumbsup:
Given that it'll be in bits for longer than anticipated, I'll get started on sorting out the metalwork.
I need to make a new ramrod rib out if steel to replace the anodised aluminium one, that way I'll be able to brown it.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Apr 2022, 7:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:I actually thought we had a blackpowder thread that died due to lack of interest/participation.

We've definitely hat a few topics come up but to my knowledge we haven't had a dedicated section that's broken down into all the BP subsections.
This Hawkin isn't too bad but it's far from a great reproduction.
It's made by Euroarms in Italy, pretty sure it's proof marks suggests it's proofed in 1977, typical 1:48" well made hardware but unfortunately it uses a coil spring action... powerful hammer but far from authentic. Barrel condition would be a 7 / 10 with great rifling but one slightly pitted section from a previous owner failing to clean it properly at some point.

Noisydad wrote:OOW I’m pretty sure you’re not addicted yet and can still quit black powder annnny time you want!

I'd definitely agree with that Noisydad... I'm in full control, the only BP problem I have is that I only own one and ill only becabke to shoot one at a time :lol:
I might go and visit a club soon, there's one nearby but with period dress mandatory, I'll need to work on my outfit.

Watching a good video on using Pure Tung oil... apparently it actually needs up to 3 days minimum between coats for best results... looks like it could be a few weeks before the stick is finished, it's definitely worth the effort though, already I can see the finish will be far better than linseed oil. :thumbsup:
Given that it'll be in bits for longer than anticipated, I'll get started on sorting out the metalwork.
I need to make a new ramrod rib out if steel to replace the anodised aluminium one, that way I'll be able to brown it.

Whereabouts is this club ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2022, 7:22 pm

Has anyone bothered to ask blackend to add a BP section?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 03 Apr 2022, 7:41 pm

I confess
I have lost all control.
Front stuffers rule.
May not be as efficient but damn they are fun.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2022, 8:39 pm

LawrenceA wrote:I confess
I have lost all control.
Front stuffers rule.
May not be as efficient but damn they are fun.

Welcome to the Black Powder Anonymous support group LawrenceA
Here, with the help and support from fellow BPA members you can get your BP hit in a safe environment while in the comfort of your own home :welcome: :lol:

Efficiency isn't everything, sometimes you need a smokescreen between yourself and whatever you've shot at, it add to the suspense.

I'm looking at loading up a few BP shotgun cartridges pretty soon, I've found a ¾" punch, I just need to get some felt and make something to do roll crimps.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 03 Apr 2022, 9:56 pm

Thanks on one wheel.
You can use flax tow, cork or leather as wad material. Actually many think leather is best.

Use veggie wads myself or just kitchen paper in the smoothbore. But thats for front stuffers.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2022, 10:26 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Thanks on one wheel.
You can use flax tow, cork or leather as wad material. Actually many think leather is best.

Use veggie wads myself or just kitchen paper in the smoothbore. But thats for front stuffers.

WTF are they?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2022, 10:44 pm

bigpete wrote:Whereabouts is this club ?

Monarto BP, looks they they blow smoke on the second Saturday of each month.I might contact them this week for a chat.

Oldbloke wrote:Has anyone bothered to ask blackend to add a BP section?

Years ago when Admin asked for suggestions in some kind of Suggestions thread, I believe I asked back then... not sure if it was considered or not, perhaps it's worth a try again?
I'd love to see it
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Apr 2022, 11:25 pm

There's a blackpowder silhouette shoot on Anzac day at Majura SSAA range ACT. I'll post the flyer if anyone is interested.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2022, 4:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:

WTF are they?

I believe he means ½" fibre wads like circle fly make. Useless things imo.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2022, 4:29 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:Whereabouts is this club ?

Monarto BP, looks they they blow smoke on the second Saturday of each month.I might contact them this week for a chat.

Oldbloke wrote:Has anyone bothered to ask blackend to add a BP section?

Years ago when Admin asked for suggestions in some kind of Suggestions thread, I believe I asked back then... not sure if it was considered or not, perhaps it's worth a try again?
I'd love to see it

Hmmm. Sounds way too formal for me tbh
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Apr 2022, 6:25 am

Gamerancher wrote:There's a blackpowder silhouette shoot on Anzac day at Majura SSAA range ACT. I'll post the flyer if anyone is interested.

If your lucky enough to make it there, bang a few photos up
:thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by perentie » 04 Apr 2022, 7:04 am

Gamerancher wrote:There's a blackpowder silhouette shoot on Anzac day at Majura SSAA range ACT. I'll post the flyer if anyone is interested.

I have your B.R.A.A. shoot program on the wall. Going to come down and visit this year. Its a 10 or 12 hour drive from me here in Qld but I will do it in 2 days or so.I will bring my two Rolling Blocks ,45-70 and 40-75 both Paper Patch.
My two shooting mates have both given it away. One is in a Nursing home now and I have no one to shoot BPCR with.
We need a branch of B,R.A.A. here in Qld .
How many Queenslanders on here shoot BPCR at longer ranges?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 04 Apr 2022, 7:22 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

WTF are they?

yep thats them.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... 5/WAD-14-C
I have heard you can use corrugated cardboard as well.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2022, 8:30 am

LawrenceA wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

WTF are they?

yep thats them.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... 5/WAD-14-C
I have heard you can use corrugated cardboard as well.

I just use leather or hard cards. The fibre wads just stuff patterns up imo and are bulky. They do have some use as a filler in brass shells though. I still have most of a packet from 6 or 7 years ago and I do a fair bit of hunting with my old muzzleloader shotgun.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Apr 2022, 8:47 am

I've just added another front-stuffer to the collection. Nice Parker Hale built .58 calibre Enfield 1861, plan on using it at Easter at the Australian Muzzle-loading Championships. This is an event that has been held at Hill End ( NSW ) for the last 60+ years. Unfortunately, it was cancelled for a number of reasons but luckily a club at Gunnedah has put their hand up to host it this year. The programme has been changed to suit their range but I am going to attend despite the lack of any long range events. ( My favourites )
The Enfield is an officers model that came in a nice oak case with all the accoutrements. I've cast up some 560 gr "minies" using the mold that came in the case with the rifle, just need to go outside and get a load working. ( That's a .44Mag case in the photo for comparison )

1861 Enfield 1.jpg
1861 Enfield 1.jpg (175.64 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

58 cal Minnie.jpg
58 cal Minnie.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Last edited by Gamerancher on 04 Apr 2022, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Apr 2022, 8:57 am

I'll put these on here in case someone is interested.

AMLChampionships Flyer (1).pdf
(184.21 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

AMLChampioships Program (1).pdf
(391.75 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Apr 2022, 10:02 am

Wow... that's a very fine looking rifle, it all looks a million dollars in that the box too. Those minnies are pretty dam smooth too.
I hope you post some pictures of how well you get it to shoot. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Apr 2022, 10:14 am

Casting good quality bullets is a matter of temperature, of both melt and mold. Then a consistency in how you dip, pour, puddle, sprue-cut and dump. Timing is a big part of that, if you cast too fast your mold will get too hot, too slow and it will cool out between bullets. Of coarse the quality of your mold has a bearing on it as well. You can't get good bullets out of a sh!t mold. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2022, 12:24 pm

Screenshot_20220309-164206_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220309-164206_Gallery.jpg (416.83 KiB) Viewed 4344 times

Just thought I'd chuck in a pic of the last thing I shot with a muzzleloader, a bunny from about 30m with my .36 Seneca. This thing hits way harder than I reckon most people would think,especially seeing as the only load that works in it using round ball is 60gn of 2f,and is doing well over 2000fps according to the charts. Also shows the first powder horn I made,plus the shooting bag a mate made for me in trade
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 04 Apr 2022, 1:41 pm

Gorgeous Musketoon Gamerancher!

May have to convince the missus to go somewhere this Easter.

Nice shot Bigpete

:drinks: :friends:
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Apr 2022, 2:36 pm

There's also the BPCR Silhouette Nationals on Anzac Day at the Majura range A.C.T.
I said I'd post the flyer here but it's in a format that the forum won't accept so,
for more info contact the discipline chairman via email:
riflesilhouette@disciplines.ssaa.org.au or phone Tim on 0419 405 696
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2022, 4:21 pm

Screenshot_20220404-154823_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-154823_Gallery.jpg (381.69 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Screenshot_20220404-154801_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-154801_Gallery.jpg (686.72 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

This is the best goat I've taken with my Dikar hawken 50 cal,shot from about 25m,and the round ball I used to perform the coup de grace that I removed from the off side of his head
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Apr 2022, 8:53 am

Awsome work Bigpete, thanks for sharing those pictures. Love the loading block and mini powder horn, looks handy as for a walk around hunt :drinks:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Apr 2022, 9:07 am

Looks like it's the right time of year for Muzzleloading state championships. Unfortunately I'm not feeling rich enough to renew my SSAA membership and participate. I might head over for a look though.
Screenshot_20220404-192617_Word.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-192617_Word.jpg (291.54 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 05 Apr 2022, 9:32 am

Trying to buy some BP in Victoria is anyone able to assist with info on where to get it?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2022, 10:52 am

Try here. They normally carry it. Other wise just ph around I guess. I think its getting harder to get ATM

http://www.centrewayfirearms.com.au/

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Black powder shooting