Powder comparison

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Powder comparison

Post by CRF » 30 Aug 2022, 4:51 pm

I don't have any photos so you'll have to take it with a grain of salt.

I've been using Wano as it's all I can get my hands on locally. With my 54 flinter using a .535 ball and 0.015 patch 110gr of 2F wano got me POA at 60m.

I'm now using 100gr swiss and the same load is POA at 100m.

I can't really say it cleans easier, maybe it does but still needs a few patches ran through her.

My 62 fusil de chasse with 90gr 2F and a bare ball is POA at 50m. Still working on refining the load for that one though.

If you have the opportunity, buy Swiss.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Powder comparison

Post by LawrenceA » 30 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

What grade Swiss you using?
Also any idea of how much actual velocity change vs just shifting point of impact?

I would find that very interesting. I know they say 10% shifting from FFg to FFFG.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Aug 2022, 5:16 pm

Swiss is a bit more energetic for an equivalent load due to better sieving, you can do the same with Wano or Goex and other brands if you have a laboratory grade sieve, just keep the fines for priming.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CRF » 30 Aug 2022, 6:07 pm

LawrenceA wrote:What grade Swiss you using?
Also any idea of how much actual velocity change vs just shifting point of impact?

I would find that very interesting. I know they say 10% shifting from FFg to FFFG.

2F,

No longer have a chrono, brother fired his braked 338WM through it and that was that.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by CRF » 30 Aug 2022, 6:10 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Swiss is a bit more energetic for an equivalent load due to better sieving, you can do the same with Wano or Goex and other brands if you have a laboratory grade sieve, just keep the fines for priming.

This is purely anecdotal, but it doesn't seem to attract moisture the same as Wano. Not sure if it's more/different graphite but noticeable for me.

Got nearly a kg of wano 2F and a horn full still. It will be my sacrifice powder for friends. I pay the same price for both and will stick with Swiss going forward.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Black powder shooting