Round ball for hunting

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Re: Round ball for hunting

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2023, 10:56 am

Blr243 wrote:Thanks pete. After i posted i found info and a link about single , double and triple loads. I also have Some TB unique red dot and bulls eye . Rebels probably have balls in stock . I want to avoid buying new brass I have a ton of 4570 brass already. But its loaded. Ill pull some apart because i have some problem 405 cast reloads i need to sort out

I used ar2205 for my triple ball loads,and trailboss for my single ball load. I also ran some .495 round ball through a .457 sizing die,gives them nice flat sides to crimp to.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2023, 1:00 pm

Thanks for that tip pete. Thatmakes alotof sense ... its about time About time i slugged the bore of my marlin I can mak a sizing die. Ill just copy a lee version. If i slug my bore ill get two measuments. One for the lands diameter and a slightly larger one for the groove diameter I have very good dial verniers in thou. Hom many thou over which of those diameters is a good starting point ? I really like that idea of those flat sided pills sized to suit my rifle. and it will give me something to do because lately im too lazy to go to work. .. and if anyone is local to me drop by light a fire under me or flog me with a whip. That might get me moving again. Still in easter holiday mode
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2023, 1:36 pm

You'd be looking at around 3 thou over bore size,although if you're making multiple ball loads it doesn't matter too much
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2023, 2:48 pm

Thanks pete. I googled bore ant the internet said land to land. So i can aim for three though over that. I just bought some 457 and some 495 so im sorted i think I also have some 7/8 bolts. Which i can use to make the sizing dies
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Black powder shooting