Recoil on big bore black powder rifles

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Recoil on big bore black powder rifles

Post by inventurkey » 25 Jun 2014, 8:33 am

Hi guys,

I know we have a few black powder shooters here in the know.

How is the recoil on big bore black power stuff? .50cal and up?

I know black powder burns slower than modern stuff and there is less recoil but haven't shot them to really 'know' what it's like.

Doing some learning before take the plunge ;)
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Recoil on big bore black powder rifles

Post by Hardcast » 25 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm

Yes the recoil is more of a hard push than a real thump.
Having said that, a .50, .54, .58 with a good load, say a .54 with 80 grains can hurt if you're not carefull.

The best thing about muzzle loaders is you can regulate the amount of powder you want to run shot by shot.

The old 'rule of thumb' for starting loads in B/P Muzzle loaders is same number of grains to the caliber, : .50 cal - 50 grains. .54 - 54 grains. But plenty
shoot lighter than that, and plenty shoot hotter than that. It's up to you to find a load you're happy with, and tune your sight to suit.

Both of my .50 cals use around 45 grains FFF. My old .40 also liked 45 grains, but the .54 liked 60.

Some of the serious Target shooters and Hunters in the States like to run them pretty hot. I read an article once, written by a guy running
80 grains in his .40 with a fast twist, shooting 100 and 200 yds competitively.

Good to see you're reading up first, it's a whole new world, interesting and fun. have a go.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

I'm no black powder expert but there are definitely very gentle loads with big calibres.

Ask Noisydad for more details... I shot his .54 cal black powder rifle at the VIC range meet with I think 400gr pills?

By comparison, it was much gentler than shooting the .308 with 150gr pills that I also had.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 26 Jun 2014, 7:34 am

A .530 RB to use in a .54 cal rifle weighs 225 gns out of a Lee mould. I use 55 gns powder for paper target comp shooting and for fun with the gongs at Lady Noisy's bush farm.

One of the neat things about a muzzle loader is that without the constriction of a cartridge case you load 'em up or load 'em down as you please! Most of us though, have just a couple of favourite loads and stick to them so we know where they shoot. My 54 shoots 50mm high at 50 yards so I can use the traditional "6 o'clock hold".

Lorgar the 420 gn bullets you're thinking of (and had a play with) are used in my Sharps. Launching such a big bullet does generate quite satisfactory recoil and with most of these big bore rifles you don't want to be shooting from a prone position - even using a bench at the wrong height will start to hurt after a short while!

I had to mess around with height of my milking stool (that I use when we shoot off cross sticks) so my collar bone wasn't getting hammered....kind of "good" hammered though ! :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 26 Jun 2014, 8:31 am

Noisydad wrote:A .530 RB to use in a .54 cal rifle weighs 225 gns out of a Lee mould. I use 55 gns powder for paper target comp shooting and for fun with the gongs at Lady Noisy's bush farm.

I use 55 grains of powder to knock over your target and ruin it for everyone else until the cease fire :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 26 Jun 2014, 8:33 am

Hardcast wrote:The best thing about muzzle loaders is you can regulate the amount of powder you want to run shot by shot.

The old 'rule of thumb' for starting loads in B/P Muzzle loaders is same number of grains to the caliber, : .50 cal - 50 grains. .54 - 54 grains. But plenty
shoot lighter than that, and plenty shoot hotter than that. It's up to you to find a load you're happy with, and tune your sight to suit.

Same old speech on recoil too... The more you shoot the more you get used to etc.

Work your way up and you won't have problems Turkey.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Old Fart » 26 Jun 2014, 8:36 am

Gregg wrote:Same old speech on recoil too... The more you shoot the more you get used to etc.

That's even more relevant with BP where you truly can work your way up from a 'low' recoil charge.

I bet we've all seen a bloke or two who bought his rifle rifle in 300wm thinking he'd get used to it, then getting a shock when he fires his 'light' factory ammo for the first time :lol:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 26 Jun 2014, 8:37 am

Lorgar wrote:I use 55 grains of powder to knock over your target and ruin it for everyone else until the cease fire :D

Team spirit, that's the way.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 26 Jun 2014, 8:37 am

Hardcast wrote:Good to see you're reading up first, it's a whole new world, interesting and fun. have a go.

Yeah mate I know it's completely different, but that's about all I know at this stage. Ha ha.

Much to learn still.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by inventurkey » 26 Jun 2014, 8:38 am

Thanks Lorgar and Noisy for the comparison. That's helpful.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 26 Jun 2014, 8:40 am

Been in the workshop and I've made stronger, better target frames now that pack up to near nothing. Will post picks.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 27 Jun 2014, 12:07 pm

Saw your new frames in the other topic.

Nice :)

( p.s. I'd still wreck em, I'm special like that :P )
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Grated » 27 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

Stop wrecking Noisy's toys you bastard, Lorgar :P
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 27 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

Wonder if 2m square target frames would help our "special" members? On second thoughts that's why I started making all steel targets! :-)
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 28 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm

Get yersel up to Pinjar range and talk to the Perth Muzzle loading guys,they also hold BP cartridge shoots and will more than

likely give you a shot or three.BP can be loaded soft or sharp[s] as you like it.

Be Safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by inventurkey » 29 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the referral BB.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal