Black powder alternatives

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Re: Black powder alternatives

Post by duncan61 » 09 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm

Is it that unstable???
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 09 Aug 2019, 1:42 pm

The history of powder manufacturing is absolutely full of examples of powder factories that have BANG.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Aug 2019, 2:54 pm

Noisydad wrote:
duncan61 wrote:Combining Potassium Nitrate (75%) with Charcoal (15%) and Sulfur (10%) gives us a nice, slow-burning black powder! I copied this quote of a youtube video that shows how to put it all together.Is making your own a possibility.Most of us reload for many reasons but doing it yourself is part of the experience and the satisfaction when it all comes together

DIY isn’t even a little bit legal! Plus, with no way to test it, every batch would come out different making it Useless for either comp. or hunting. Also your fingers work better when they’re hanging off you Arms rather than hanging off the rafters.

Correct. Lots of miss information on the net. Heaps of factories have gone up with a bang over the years. Making the stuff is risky.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ron Hawkins » 10 Aug 2019, 8:09 am

I tried to get potassium nitrate to make my own, but it appears to be unavailable to us blokes as we may use it to do inappropriate things. Apart from that to get the small ball mill and the correct sieves for grain size makes it bloody expensive. a pyro mob in the good old usa actually make a kit for sale to make blackpowder and you guessed it, we cant import the kit.
Ron Hawkins
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Aug 2019, 9:50 am

Ahh, the joys of living in Tasmania. Don't know what to say Ron, .... move back to Australia maybe? :lol:
When official Bureau of Statistics data shows that half of the population of the state is illiterate, you have to assume that some of them work within the bureaucracy. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Ron Hawkins » 10 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

true mate
Ron Hawkins
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2019, 8:21 pm

duncan61 wrote:Is it that unstable???

It did have a reputation for being detonated by static electricity, but I think modern BP has pretty much fixed that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by QS1 » 03 Oct 2019, 6:18 pm

Get on the Spirit, pick some in Melbourne and sail back. Sure it is safest way. You will not be able to make decent enough by yourself - trust me, I am chemical engineer by diploma. You could make something that spit your ball out of barrel, but it would be nowhere as good as proper one. Also I been toying with Trail Boss in my 45-90 and discard this idea once and forever. Contact Forbes and make sure that Graeme put aside few bottles for you. Bonus: you can visit Melbourne Zoo :sarcasm:
QS1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Oct 2019, 9:15 am

"Get on the Spirit, pick some in Melbourne and sail back."

I don't think encouraging illegal behaviour is a good thing on a public forum ol' mate. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by QS1 » 04 Oct 2019, 2:54 pm

Gamerancher wrote:"Get on the Spirit, pick some in Melbourne and sail back."

I don't think encouraging illegal behaviour is a good thing on a public forum ol' mate. :unknown:

1. I am not aware that bring few canister of black powder by Spirit is illegal
2. Sure it is possible to find private yacht
3. I am not sure how legal is to make nitrocellulose or PROPER black powder (involves drying and crushing). But I can assure you that it is dangerous and shooting with unknown stuff can be lethal.
Choice is yours, but I rather find how I can bring few canister of black matter if I am so fond of it.
Cheers.
QS1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Oct 2019, 3:32 pm

I don’t understand - there is a clear process for getting it into the state - and if you worked in with a firearm shop it would be even easier.
If you want it/need it - follow the process ? Reading via worksafe - it’s not that arduous...get a few people together who feel the same, to place a single order and lower the shared costs ? It’s not rocket fuel...ummm....okY, you got me there :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 04 Oct 2019, 4:38 pm

QS1 wrote:Get on the Spirit, pick some in Melbourne and sail back. Sure it is safest way. You will not be able to make decent enough by yourself - trust me, I am chemical engineer by diploma. You could make something that spit your ball out of barrel, but it would be nowhere as good as proper one. Also I been toying with Trail Boss in my 45-90 and discard this idea once and forever. Contact Forbes and make sure that Graeme put aside few bottles for you. Bonus: you can visit Melbourne Zoo :sarcasm:

Not a new law at all (to answer a question posted some time ago).
Go to the web site for booking onto the Spirit from Melbourne. Look at what you can and can't take in the way of firearms and ammunition.
Note that hand loads are expressly not permitted. One of the reasons I don't go there to compete in National competitions. Factory loads for my "toys" is not available / not made. I have to make it.
Good luck getting powder.

For those of you who think it's an easy process to make, you need to realise that the normal process of forming the amalgam was to use a roller wheel mill. The wheels grind the slurry (yes, it's a wet paste while being formed) prior to drying, crushing, sieving/grading and packing.
And, as per previous posts, there have been many production facilities flattened, even in relatively recent times https://www.ksla.com/story/2518616/blac ... explosion/ http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... GOEX-plant and there's many more.
Don't be tempted to set up, what would surely be, a Hazardous Industry facility.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

I think there is some exemption regarding hand-loads if you are competing and have all the correct paperwork/invites. But even then the quantity is not very big and shooting nationals and the Queens type events can be problematic.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2019, 4:58 am

While illegal to do here,people make homemade blackpowder all the frigging time where it is legal,that does significantly more than just roll the ball out the barrel for God's sake ! :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ron Hawkins » 30 May 2021, 2:58 pm

Well boys i havent been back in here for a year or so, I have been using some home made blackpowder, but the bloke has stopped making it due to ill health. As for pyrodex or any other equivalent, forget it for tassie. It just aint gonna happen so everyone tells me down here. Bugger
Ron Hawkins
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Black powder shooting