Black Powder 22LR

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Black Powder 22LR

Post by Heckler303 » 03 Sep 2015, 9:22 pm

I'm wondering if anyone out there still produces 22 rim fire using black powder instead of smokeless. Mainly because I want to try out some smoky fun in the future alongside some nicer 'booms'. As long as it's still decently able to hit what I'm :allegedly: trying to shoot, I'll be happy.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Re: Black Powder 22LR

Post by Noisydad » 03 Sep 2015, 9:35 pm

Just buy a 2nd hand .45 front stuffer, cast your round ball and have heaps of fun for about 25 cents a shots.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 03 Sep 2015, 9:44 pm

Would a 22LR case hold enough #1 to push the projectile out the end f a modern rifled barrel :?: :D
MIght be worth a try ... CB Cap equivelant in BP :lol:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 04 Sep 2015, 7:17 am

There are blokes using .25-20's in my BP club.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

Heckler, if you're looking for a currently produced round that was originally black powder, look no further than your own signature...

You just have to use the finest black powder you can and compress it as much as possible.

Edit: insert standard disclaimer.
If you do decide to try a black powder load, like any new load, do your research. Check, double check and triple check everything, do it right and do it safely.
Check your bore is cleaned afterwards and make sure you clean up any loose or spilled black powder.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

anthillinside wrote:Would a 22LR case hold enough #1 to push the projectile out the end f a modern rifled barrel :?: :D
MIght be worth a try ... CB Cap equivelant in BP :lol:

The 22 LR was designed before smokeless ie. for BP...... so why not try, give it a go...
The factory smokeless rounds only hold about 1gr, as I recall, I may have been curious and actually measured to powder load once :unknown:
So theres ample room to cram it full of your favorite black powder :thumbsup:

I believe the free-O was designed just before smokeless, so limited run with BP, most was then Cordite...(smokeless)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Pilch » 07 Sep 2015, 9:43 am

Probably wouldn't make you popular at the range, smoking out the vision of all the other target shooters :lol:
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

I'm considering buying that 22lr handloading kit to make my own black powder ammo. That'd be smoking good fun :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

Wait... which kit exactly are we talking about? and do you mean to reload spent .22lr cases, remove the projectiles from factory, swap the powder then reseat the bullet, or hand load a centre fire with black powder?

I can't say I've ever come across a hand loading kit for .22lr as they can't be re-primed
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Wait... which kit exactly are we talking about? and do you mean to reload spent .22lr cases, remove the projectiles from factory, swap the powder then reseat the bullet, or hand load a centre fire with black powder?

I can't say I've ever come across a hand loading kit for .22lr as they can't be re-primed

Not so Sandgroper, it is very possible.

http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Just a little bit more finicky than handloading centrefires, but it still is achievable. Now there's a real reason to keep the shells, and at 75 bucks for the whole caboose, I'll buy one.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm

well there ya go, learn something new every day.

I just wouldn't have the time or the patience given the cost of ammo, but I can see the novelty point.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:well there ya go, learn something new every day.

I just wouldn't have the time or the patience given the cost of ammo, but I can see the novelty point.

You can load them up either really quiet or really hot and loud depending on what you're aiming for. So making my own subs would be a great addition :D
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2015, 5:31 pm

Honestly, i cant see the point.

Then again, i guess there are plenty who cant see the point of the 223short i am having built up either....

Personally, i'd be trying it with a hornet instead. Less hassle, more versatile.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Sep 2015, 7:09 pm

Gwion wrote:Honestly, i cant see the point.

Then again, i guess there are plenty who cant see the point of the 223short i am having built up either.

Personally, i'd be trying it with a hornet instead. Less hassle, more versatile.

Edzzzachery.... :lol:

But the effort for a 1grain charge of BP.... would be kind of really underwhelming.....what is inspiring is 6 shooters touching of BP 577/450 Martinis, at once....
THAT is worthwhile....

So honestly, keep the rimfire for the common cheap plentiful commercial fodder, did I mention cheap....

And get the old man to spring for an old big bore martini, or an Enfield 303.... then you'll see your mates enveloped in a decent cloud of smoke...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Brute » 08 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I just wouldn't have the time or the patience given the cost of ammo, but I can see the novelty point.

Novelty is all well and good. I'm with you though, bugger it for the time required to reload when a box of factory 22lr is $9 :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Black powder shooting