Where to buy blackpowder?

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Where to buy blackpowder?

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2016, 9:02 pm

Toying with getting into some blackpowder shooting but I'm wondering how and where I go about buying blackpowder (in Victoria).
Do I just get my local dealer to get some in for me?
Anybody know how price compares to smokeless stuff?
Should I store it any differently to my smokeless powders and ammunition?
Larry
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Where to buy blackpowder?

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2016, 11:52 pm

Can I suggest if you get onto some at a reasonable price stock up big time and store it under parliment. :evil:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 02 Jul 2016, 6:34 am

Some dealers wont stock it as it requires couriers with DG licenses and freight costs more. How ever you might be surprised how many do. I've bought it in Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Elks (Albury). Forbes Wholesale Melb are an importer/distributor and sells from his van at comps too. Buy your percussion caps by the brick at the same time if you need them too. I store mine in a wooden, locked box and there's always powder in a horn or two. It's actually legally regarded as an explosive not a propellant and comes under worksafe legislation. Never heard of a shooter being inspected by worksafe. Just keep it locked up. I transport it to comps in my MTM range box.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2016, 8:15 am

I doubt we could ever make a bang big enough to wake parliament :-)

I'll get onto Forbes and probably make a trip up to Melbourne for supplies if nobody down here stocks it.
Do you know of any semi-regular blackpowder shooting in Gippsland where I might acquaint myself?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 02 Jul 2016, 10:46 am

Seymour BP club has very keen members from Warragul, Leongatha and Melbourne who travel up to our Nagambie range for the monthly fun.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 02 Jul 2016, 11:37 am

Oh. Missed your other question re price. Wano powder is normally $70/ kg. Swiss is dearer and harder to get.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2016, 1:33 pm

Thanks again guys :-)
Seymour Blackpowder Club is 3.5hrs from me though :-(

I guess I'll just have to get a smokepole and play around on the farm, and once I'm hooked I'll start chasing up clubs :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:Thanks again guys :-)
Seymour Blackpowder Club is 3.5hrs from me though :-(

I guess I'll just have to get a smokepole and play around on the farm, and once I'm hooked I'll start chasing up clubs :-)

Any idea what kind of boomstick? A .50 cal Hawkin would be fun. Here's hickok45's video on one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCVQMEwlT0
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jul 2016, 8:43 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Centreway in East Keilor usually has powder and caps in stock, worth ringing John or Paul before you travel up here. If you make it a 3rd Saturday in the month, the Victorian Muzzle Loading Club shoot at Little River on that day and could also help with locating supplies, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Any idea what kind of boomstick? A .50 cal Hawkin would be fun. Here's hickok45's video on one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCVQMEwlT0

I haven't investigated enough of them to make a choice yet.
Something entry level though as I only want some novelty for now, if I get deeper into it then I'll look closer at them. I already cast .284" and .323" bullets so caliber doesn't bother me, though it might be fun to spit some really big balls down range.

I was hoping to find something of the era though rather than have to buy a modern replica.
I found out yesterday that a neighbour that agists his cattle on our property has a "Kentucky Squirrel Rifle" that he shoots occasionally just for fun so I might have to pay him a visit :-)

One question I do have. Is there a way of determining if a muzzle loader is rifled or smoothbore without physically looking at it? Like, is there a date when you'd expect them all to be rifled from that point on? I'm assuming all the modern replica rifles would be rifled?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Centreway in East Keilor usually has powder and caps in stock, worth ringing John or Paul before you travel up here. If you make it a 3rd Saturday in the month, the Victorian Muzzle Loading Club shoot at Little River on that day and could also help with locating supplies, Cheers.

I'll keep that in mind, but Keilor is also a long trip just to buy supplies. If I do pursue competition though it's handy to know :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 04 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

It'll be a rifle if it' use a percussion cap. There aren't many smooth bores around. They're usually rock bashers ( flintlock). If you hang around usedguns.com.au you'll find something 2nd hand in good condition and often with the accessories you need. You shouldn't need to pay more than about $550 for the likes of a Kentucky style rifle (or any of the others for that matter) in .36 or .45
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2016, 1:57 pm

Noisydad wrote:It'll be a rifle if it' use a percussion cap. There aren't many smooth bores around. They're usually rock bashers ( flintlock). If you hang around usedguns.com.au you'll find something 2nd hand in good condition and often with the accessories you need. You shouldn't need to pay more than about $550 for the likes of a Kentucky style rifle (or any of the others for that matter) in .36 or .45

That's good news then, I'm only interested in percussion cap :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2016, 6:59 pm

Just an update.
Forbes are brilliant :-)
He even has a secondhand rifle I might go for.
Thanks for pointing me in their direction :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Berper » 06 Jul 2016, 3:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Can I suggest if you get onto some at a reasonable price stock up big time and store it under parliment. :evil:

But what if it accidentally..... Oooooooh! :mrgreen:
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Crrrock » 06 Aug 2016, 12:54 pm

As an aside. I have a 36 revolver and i use #10's for competition days. But for practice i use the plastic toy capgun caps. 140 for $1.99. Get a few misfires but so what .
Crrrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm

To update, I did grab the secondhand rifle off Graeme Forbes.
I cast a bunch of .45 calibre balls and bullets yesterday for it as well as a pile of bullets for the .303.
And shot my first group with it this arvo.
Using .440" pure lead balls, .005" lubed patches and 50 grains of FFF black off the bench.
At fifty yards with a light breeze from three o'clock my first shot hit 3mm high and 32mm left of my point of aim at 1052fps from a clean barrel.
My next three shots fell into a neat 39mm triangle, 24mm left and 82mm high. Velocities were 1440fps, 1520fps and 2113fps! The ringing in my ears confirmed that last shot wasn't a false reading.
I moved the target out to 100 yards and a fifth shot dropped in 220mm low and 145mm left at 1444fps.
A sixth shot hit 152mm low and 21mm right of POI at 1837fps.

I had hoped to shoot groups with two different balls, different patch thicknesses and three different bullets at various charges to find the most accurate combination.
But it looks like barrel fouling is a major variable in this game :-)
I'm going to have to set aside a lot of hours for load development that includes scrubbing the bore clean after every shot.
I can also see that I'm going to have mark the ramrod to ensure a consistent seating of the ball every time.
Overall though, tons of fun :-)
Attachments
060820161466.jpg
060820161466.jpg (914.95 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tank » 14 Sep 2016, 4:50 pm

BP for fun Bladeracer!
Enjoy!!
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Sep 2016, 8:06 pm

Tank wrote:BP for fun Bladeracer!
Black MZ from Alliant is the stuff to cure the fowling probs.......if you could reliably source it!
You using Wano?.....grubby as all get out! Swiss is the red hot go if authentic black is a must but same deal.....reliable supply.....I think not.
Enjoy! The stuff is addictive....
Regs,
Tank.

:-)
Yep, Wano, and yep, grubby as!
It'll take me a while to get through the stuff I've got but I'll have plenty of time to order some MZ long before I need it.
Thanks for the tip :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tank » 18 Sep 2016, 4:25 pm

My LGS says that the last shipment of MZ was 'damp'......?! This is after he travelled from the SE of SA to NIOA! (Holidaying too he tells me...) this and the trouble we have with transporting explosives in this country will most likely conspire to make BP an increasing difficult pass time.....
Pity....!
All I know is next time it becomes available i'll be stockpiling HARD!
Anyone shoot BP club? How do you guys get around this hurdle?.....Without hijacking thread....apologies.
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 18 Sep 2016, 9:07 pm

Today at Seymour BP Club's mid range (200 - 600 yards) gong shoot I put 40 x Wano 3F loaded shots though my .40-65 Sharps without putting a cleaning rod though the barrel our blow tubing it and still placed in all four events with a first place, 2 seconds and a third. The powder is fine - it's how you manage the fouling with your bullet lube that matters.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

Noisydad wrote:Today at Seymour BP Club's mid range (200 - 600 yards) gong shoot I put 40 x Wano 3F loaded shots though my .40-65 Sharps without putting a cleaning rod though the barrel our blow tubing it and still placed in all four events with a first place, 2 seconds and a third. The powder is fine - it's how you manage the fouling with your bullet lube that matters.

You've got my attention. ...
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Black powder shooting