Man caught poisoning wedge-tailed eagles

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Man caught poisoning wedge-tailed eagles

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Sep 2018, 10:49 pm

This son of a bitch needs to be stuffed upside down into an Otto bin and left out in the sun.

A man has been charged over the deaths of more than 100 wedge-tailed eagles found poisoned in Victoria's far east.

The 136 dead birds were discovered on a property at Tubbut, in far east Gippsland near the New South Wales border, in April.

It is alleged he used poisoned baits to kill the protected birds between October 2016 and April 2018.

The ABC understands he is not the owner of the Tubbut property involved.

He is facing two charges under the Wildlife Act 1975 and has been released on bail to face court at a later date.

The man was charged after a state-wide investigation involving more than 30 people.

The eagle carcasses were found in bushland and scrub on properties that covered about 2,000 hectares.

Victoria's Department of Environment Land Water and Planning (DELWP) said it was the largest case of wedge-tailed eagle deaths in the state's history.

"We would like to inform the community that investigations are ongoing, including forensic examination of evidence recently seized during searches of relevant properties," a spokeswoman said.

The deliberate killing of that many wedge-tailed eagles carries a maximum penalty of up to six months' imprisonment and fines totalling about $115,000.

The protected species are Australia's largest bird of prey.

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/10236032
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: WTF?

Post by Stix » 12 Sep 2018, 10:55 pm

Gees...be interesting to know the ins n outs of ehats actually happened...

But if its as plain as it looks, ill paint the bin matt black after you wheel it out.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 1886 » 12 Sep 2018, 11:28 pm

That guy is only holding a head which could suggest the prick killed them to collect their feathers for some reason.

Arsehole. Hope they throw the book at him.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Sep 2018, 1:14 am

Yeah it's a bad thing to kill any wild life with poison but every time a bait is laid for wild dogs there is the potential to kill eagles
Not as many as was killed there but his was over a 2yr period
I shoot ferals and pests but do not like poisons being used even though they have to be used mainly because it kills other species as well and
every time it's laid
If you have heard a wild dog die from 1080 then the sound will be etched in your memory for ever
Now as for this bloke well if he has just gone out and killed these eagles relentlessly and targeted them well he should face the music
he would be another reason for the media to have a go at hunters although it wouldn't be classed as hunting but that wouldn't worry the media
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 13 Sep 2018, 4:33 am

Stix wrote:Gees...be interesting to know the ins n outs of ehats actually happened...

But if its as plain as it looks, ill paint the bin matt black after you wheel it out.

You paint the bin stix, I’ll bring a 5 ltr tin of petrol. What a disgusting poor excuse for a human being :twisted:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 13 Sep 2018, 6:56 am

Hmm I reckon get a couple bottles of syrup and chuck them on him and tie him up next to a red ant hill
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JSS » 13 Sep 2018, 7:47 am

Stake him down in a cage with 136 hungry wedgetails.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Sep 2018, 8:10 am

Yeah it's a bad thing to kill any wild life with poison but every time a bait is laid for wild dogs there is the potential to kill eagles
Not as many as was killed there but his was over a 2yr period
I shoot ferals and pests but do not like poisons being used even though they have to be used mainly because it kills other species as well and
every time it's laid
If you have heard a wild dog die from 1080 then the sound will be etched in your memory for ever
Now as for this bloke well if he has just gone out and killed these eagles relentlessly and targeted them well he should face the music
he would be another reason for the media to have a go at hunters although it wouldn't be classed as hunting but that wouldn't worry the media

+1 :thumbsup:

when areas of the ottways get poisoned the weggy's disappear
I agree the bloke should be strung up :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 20 Sep 2018, 8:04 pm

If proven.
Mince him and feed him to the Eagles.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 20 Sep 2018, 8:10 pm

I'm with JSS.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Man caught poisoning wedge-tailed eagles

Post by Roo farmer » 20 Sep 2018, 10:37 pm

So, none of you are thinking, that just possibly, the eagles might have been eating his lambs? You all just think he went to the trouble of poisoning the eagles because he is simply a bad person?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Sep 2018, 12:43 am

No Roo farmer this is my point if you read my post
But it does look that he is in trouble whether or not they were taking his lambs
If the case was they were taking his lambs then he should have sort the appropriate permits to cull because up here the eagle is protected and I presume
they are where he is to otherwise he would not be in this position
He can't take things into his own hands and think he is not going to be judged by people when caught
Nobody said he was a bad person more to the point they judged him on his actions of killing a protected bird of prey and many of them
The killing of any protected species without a permit is frowned upon by all hunters as it does nothing for their sport or nature and the protected
animals are not usually classed as feral or varmit animals
We just have to see how it pans out and if they were killing lambs they may take that into consideration and go easy on him
But he's done what he's done without going through the right channels and that puts a slur on hunters from people that don't know otherwise

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 21 Sep 2018, 6:59 am

Couldn’t have said it better myself GDB, not impressed with someone who does that to eagles
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 21 Sep 2018, 7:52 am

No Roo farmer this is my point if you read my post
But it does look that he is in trouble whether or not they were taking his lambs
If the case was they were taking his lambs then he should have sort the appropriate permits to cull because up here the eagle is protected and I presume
they are where he is to otherwise he would not be in this position
He can't take things into his own hands and think he is not going to be judged by people when caught
Nobody said he was a bad person more to the point they judged him on his actions of killing a protected bird of prey and many of them
The killing of any protected species without a permit is frowned upon by all hunters as it does nothing for their sport or nature and the protected
animals are not usually classed as feral or varmit animals
We just have to see how it pans out and if they were killing lambs they may take that into consideration and go easy on him
But he's done what he's done without going through the right channels and that puts a slur on hunters from people that don't know otherwise

Cheers

As far as I know, there are not any appropriate permits for killing eagles?

So killing eagles, which may have been eating his lambs, is frowned upon by hunters as it puts a slur upon them.

But it's somehow okay for hunters, to call for somebody, who may or may not have been trying to protect his livlihood, to be thrown in a wheely bin, tied up to an ant hill, minced, covered with petrol, etc??? You think this doesn't put a slur on hunters???
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Sep 2018, 8:06 am

Well Roo farmer, you're just as entitled to your opinion as the rest of us, but mate seriously, this guy went on a spree and killed 160 protected raptors. That we know of. What other bastardry someone like that is capable of committing is anyone's guess.

Birds that clean up a lot of rabbits as well as the occasional lamb.

I don't know about where you are but we only have lambing once a year here, we have rabbits all year round, chewing down everything in sight.

A bit of perspective and logic should tell anyone he is seriously in the wrong.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2018, 8:43 am

As wedgies are fully protected in all Australian states and territories if he is deliberately poisoning (as opposed to them accidentally being poisoned by dog baits) then he gets what he gets!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 Sep 2018, 8:58 am

There is something very strange about this article. I hate the fact that any eagles were killed at all and I am very much against it we have never even had a chicken taken. I know they found all the bodies in one place. But Wedge tail eagles are a very territorial bird an one pair may occupy several square kilometers (5). I see a pair around my area only very occasionally its not like there are heaps flying around. So how did this one guy manage to kill and find the bodies of them to bring back to one area. Has he been doing it for 30 years?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Sep 2018, 9:39 am

That's what makes it so heinous Sungazer, the fact that he obviously isn't just protecting his lambs. It sounds like some sort of serial killer crusade.
Given their territorial habits and factoring in that the bodies in the photo in the article have clearly not been through taxidermy, the clown has been to a great deal of effort and travel.

The world is full of twisted feckers, there is someone leaving rat bait filled meatballs around at a popular dog exercise area at Lilyfield in Sydney at the moment.

Who knows, maybe his kitten was taken when he was a kid :unknown:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2018, 9:52 am

Wedgies are territorial however when there's an abundant food source it's not unusual to see many birds in an area. Drive thru parts of the territory and western qld at certain times of the year and it's common to see a bird every couple of hundred meters eating rd kill.
I once saw a wedgie and a sea eagle sharing a pig just out of weipa !!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Sep 2018, 10:09 am

There's some big ones up there eh DB?

I was working west of Katherine in '95 and remember seeing one on the side of the Victoria Hwy that was bigger than the dead roo she was eating. I stopped to take a photo and she wasn't the slightest afraid of me, she spread her wings over the roo and gave me some serious stink-eye to let me know who was going te be eating it.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2018, 10:36 am

F@#ken oath gaz ya not wrong there mate!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Sep 2018, 10:36 am

I'm not condoning the blokes actions for a moment, but eagles CAN become a problem in certain circumstances.

A few points:

1). During the year, we might have a dozen mated pairs of Wedgies on our property; spread across some 256 square kilometers of country(CW QLD). For the most part, they seem to prey on roo joeys and other small animals, so of little concern to us, and part of the ecology. Regular occurrence to see a pair hassling a doe to get her to abandon the joey. Also seen a pair following a cat who was out for a morning walkies, and Puddin never realised that I was only the second-worst possible ending to his day... BIG thumbs-up to Wedgies for this sort of predation!

2). When we start lambing (July-Sep), we can suddenly have 50-60 eagles here for the duration of lambing. And they dont just take a handful of lambs. And they dont just take the weak or unattended lambs. And if each pair is only taking just one lamb every two days, that still adds up to a LOT of lost sheep!
I have seen a healthy lamb snatched from right beside it's mother. They are a very successful predator.
Thankfully, most years, the availability of other food means we have little concern for the eagles through lambing, but there have been some years when they have been a problem, and DAFF and other government agencies dont want to address the issue AT ALL.
VERY frustrating.
Stewardship of the land is about management, and NOT putting your head in the sand when it gets a bit tough.

3). I'd be freaking AMAZED if the bloke is using 1080 dog baits to nail Wedgies. The amount of 1080 in a properly prepared dog bait is too low to kill a Wedgie; even if Wedgie eats every bait he finds. The LD50 toxicity of 1080 on birds is 14mg/Kg of bodyweight, wheras a dog's LD50 toxicity is 0.08mg/Kg. When dog baits are prepared correctly, they should have roughly 2mg of 1080 on the outside of the 250gram meat bait. Now, a Wedgie would have to weigh in around ~8kg, so is going to need to eat around 100mg of 1080 to croak. That would require fully consuming around 50 meat baits(supposed to be around the size of a cigarette packet each), to get close to a lethal dose. Working on a dog bait being around ~250 grams, you would be looking at 12 kilograms of dog baits, and probably all consumed inside 24 hours, to be lethal.
Even for a seriously peckish Wedgie, that is a stretch.
Also, as properly prepared PIG baits are injected with ~6mg of 1080, it makes slightly more sense if the Wedgie is being nailed by pig 1080 baits. That way, he'd only need roughly 17 pig baits to nail him. Due to the injection, the poison is in a more concentrated spot in the bait, and so the eagle has a higher chance of consuming all of the poison in each bait.
Pig baits are usually slightly larger, but you'd still be looking at ~ 6-8kgs of baits consumed for it to be lethal for a Wedgie.
Still a stretch, and I'll still be amazed if he nailed the Wedgies in this fashion.

4). There are VASTLY more effective poisons to nail birds of prey. Many of them are commonly available from any farm chemical suppliers, and many dont require a permit or signature. Some of them will kill a Wedgie in a matter of seconds (as in; find the corpse 2 feet from the roo carcass that was baited).
My money is he was using one of these poisons.
Still awful.
Still wrong.
Still senseless.

5). I'm not saying I love 1080(Sodium Fluroacetate), but it is an extremely effective poison to use. Main incentive is that most native Australian animals have a much higher tolerance to it, compared to introduced species. That means that if applied properly, you have a much lower chance of nailing any natives when baiting. It's not perfect, but there isnt another poison that is as selective in Australia, at this point in time.
Being derived from native plant species, it also breaks down in water, which further reduces secondary poisoning likelihood.
I have heard experts say that the first thing that shuts down in a 1080-poisoned animal is the pain-reception area of the brain, so IF this is true, the howling that a dog makes when dying from it, mightnt be the animal feeling anything much at all. I cant verify this, and I'd be happy to not poison any animals, but then I'm also not a big fan of how some of the animals I've found ended their lives in a rubber-jawed trap, either.
The least traumatic solution for any animal I've seen, is a bullet through the head, while they are scratching themselves....
I've also spoken to a few vets who have successfully saved 1080-poisoned dogs. The trick is to hit them with Valium ASAP, and then they put them into a coma in a darkened quiet room for a couple of days, and the body will break the 1080 down. Not 100% effective, but the vet I spoke to said they had achieved somewhere around 80% success rate with saving poisoned dogs like this. I keep a shot of dog Valium in the coldroom for this purpose.

I've also seen 6-month lambs come into the sheepyards, with large festering dog bites, and in obvious pain from the infection. In most of these cases, the lamb needs euthanizing, to be kind to it. When a bitch is training a litter of pups, they can easily maul a few dozen sheep in a night, and while many will die that night, some will be found weeks later, and in pretty miserable shape. As much as I dont like the pain and suffering 1080 causes when animals are being poisoned by it, it doesnt come close to the pain and suffering those same animals cause to livestock.

My 2 cents.

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 21 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm

Not so many down in Vic it is a good day when you see one or a pair. They mostly eat road kill here. I am sure there are some farmers that might say that they kill a lamb or two.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2018, 12:08 pm

sungazer wrote:Not so many down in Vic it is a good day when you see one or a pair. They mostly eat road kill here. I am sure there are some farmers that might say that they kill a lamb or two.

I knew the Tassie wedge tail was endangered but didn't realise there wasn't that many around Vic/NSW...Good to be able to add that info when I'm talking to the punters thanks sungazer :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

And then ya get the c@#k smokin piece of sh@t running down emus and laughing then.posts it on the net. That's a c@nt that needs floggin!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Sep 2018, 5:02 pm

One of his workers or contractors dubbed him in. So this might have been happening for a while...or someone rose dumped them there
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Sep 2018, 6:30 pm

he'll be laughing now, ar$ehole
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Sep 2018, 10:38 pm

Roo farmer wrote:So, none of you are thinking, that just possibly, the eagles might have been eating his lambs? You all just think he went to the trouble of poisoning the eagles because he is simply a bad person?

Hey roo farmer,
I didnt think either of the points you mentioned in your post...
Nor did i say what you're suggesting i may have meant.
No point me explaining what i meant, its pretty self explanetory & you can read my post again if you like. .. :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wolfthomas » 22 Sep 2018, 9:11 pm

I'm glad they've stopped this ill-eagle activity.
wolfthomas
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2018, 10:47 pm

:lol: :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics