FFS, Again?

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Re: FFS, Again?

Post by trekin » 10 Dec 2018, 5:38 am

TassieTiger wrote:Where are the SSAA in this? Are they not the Ozzie shooters representatives?
It’s been on every morning show and everyone is bagging the crap out of it - especially using Aust as a target - with no one what so ever speaking to the truth of the matter...the commissioner going as far as saying he will be looking to change advertising laws...what’s that - won’t happen???
Already has...in Tassie the LGS are not allowed to advertise and their website content is restricted. They can have a face book page with open content - but many like me, aren’t on FB.
Yes - a storm in a tea cup maybe, but even tea has the ability to bring down a party...careful what you wish for GW.

As for SSAA QLD, well they have just let their media/communications officer go, so they probably don't even know this is happening.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 7:12 am

Oh I reckon they would know. The grapevine in the shooting world has a lot of reach . Maybe behind the scenes they are working on it. But after some of the things I’ve heard about SSAA management in QLD, I’m not that trusting. Especially after some of the tactics they tried on my second home, stewartdale range at Ripley
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 8:09 am

i might pop into rebel today, might ask about their change in advertising due to their online store provider :unknown:
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Dec 2018, 8:17 am

I wonder if the advertising issue has anything to do with insurance pull out? Probably not...just seems strange.
I asked my local GS - they said their not allowed to put signage on the fences, not allowed to put a sandwich board out saying their open...
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 8:32 am

Rebel’s advertising through their website has changed on account of the website providers apparently. I’m curious as to whether this has anything to do with the hoo-haa with gun worlds advertising
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by trekin » 10 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

bigrich wrote:Oh I reckon they would know. The grapevine in the shooting world has a lot of reach . Maybe behind the scenes they are working on it. But after some of the things I’ve heard about SSAA management in QLD, I’m not that trusting. Especially after some of the tactics they tried on my second home, stewartdale range at Ripley

I was being facetious.
bigrich wrote:Rebel’s advertising through their website has changed on account of the website providers apparently. I’m curious as to whether this has anything to do with the hoo-haa with gun worlds advertising

Probably not as a direct cause of, more likely a concerted push by the anti's within the advertising worldto blanket all shooting related ads. So cool ya heels on the "I told you so's" for the moment.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 10 Dec 2018, 10:54 am

Come on, guys.
Instead of going off on a forum to vent your spleen/frustration, wouldn't it be easier to contact Rebel and see what they have to say?
I did, and here is their reply of Dec 3rd : -

"Thank you so much for getting back to us on this.
We're in the process of changing to something else and it takes time.
The excluded items are the following:
Most of Category C and D firearms and parts and accessories
Several semi automatic handguns, parts and accessories
Adjustable butt stocks and pistol grip stocks
Thank you very much for your support and your patience, kind regards, "

And, did anybody phone/email SSAA and inquire? No? Didn't think so.
Last edited by No1_49er on 10 Dec 2018, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Dec 2018, 11:18 am

Oscar Wilde's quote ,"the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about" goes for business.
If the ad had featured a shotgun or a sporting rifle it wouldn't have had the same emotive context to set the antis' panties bunching.

I think it's just a cynical bit of marketing strategy, people are talking about it and GW is getting lots of free publicity, hell, people over in WA who don't even have firearms have heard of GW now.
Commissioner Strangler has done himself no favours, but I reckon GW's ad dept is grinning.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 10 Dec 2018, 5:48 pm

Rebels website host probably has one of those US moral outrages to semi autos so forbids advertising. Kind of like FB atm even though it is legal they now wont allow sales of brass or projectiles.
Cryptic
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm

No1_49er wrote:Come on, guys.
Instead of going off on a forum to vent your spleen/frustration, wouldn't it be easier to contact Rebel and see what they have to say?
I did, and here is their reply of Dec 3rd : -

"Thank you so much for getting back to us on this.
We're in the process of changing to something else and it takes time.
The excluded items are the following:
Most of Category C and D firearms and parts and accessories
Several semi automatic handguns, parts and accessories
Adjustable butt stocks and pistol grip stocks
Thank you very much for your support and your patience, kind regards, "

And, did anybody phone/email SSAA and inquire? No? Didn't think so.

actually mate i did get onto them today. only a couple hours after posting i would. they have changed to another web provider, who has standards restrictions on firearm advertisment. the fella i had a chat to about this at rebel went on to say because they are a gun shop they can't even email a lot of government departments :wtf: i also spoke to my local gun store this morning who said they paid their money and designed their online store and were all ready to go, then got knocked back because their a gunshop. no refund on the setup fee either apparently . i also found out paypal has a ban on lots of firearm related items as well. this is all news to me, and i think it's no wonder some firearm owners can be a little paranoid at times. as for ringing SSAA , they know already. word travels fast in the firearm business .

so sorry No1-49er , no? , didn't think so doesn't cover it. cheers and have a wonderful day :D :D :D :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Oscar Wilde's quote ,"the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about" goes for business.
If the ad had featured a shotgun or a sporting rifle it wouldn't have had the same emotive context to set the antis' panties bunching.

I think it's just a cynical bit of marketing strategy, people are talking about it and GW is getting lots of free publicity, hell, people over in WA who don't even have firearms have heard of GW now.
Commissioner Strangler has done himself no favours, but I reckon GW's ad dept is grinning.

that's all fairly spot on gaz, in these strange times but, it could be a pandora's box situation (no, not the chick at the local brothel, the ancient greek story :lol: )
careful about what you wish for ,it wouldn't supprise me if some crazed anti's turned up there at gun world and protested :crazy: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Dec 2018, 9:07 pm

Oh I get your point BigRich, I don't condone anything that can be too easily conflated by the biased and uninformed.

To you, me and hopefully everyone who frequents these venues, a handgun simply represents one of the several categories of firearms that law abiding shooters use harmlessly every day.

To the uninformed and those who are just plain vegan about their antipathy, a handgun represents gangbangers and drive-by's.

Instead of mewling and blubbeeing about a legal advert, the Commish should perhaps address the container loads of black market handguns and more that get past him and his peers every year.

Bit more relevant I would imagine.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 9:53 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Oh I get your point BigRich, I don't condone anything that can be too easily conflated by the biased and uninformed.

To you, me and hopefully everyone who frequents these venues, a handgun simply represents one of the several categories of firearms that law abiding shooters use harmlessly every day.

To the uninformed and those who are just plain vegan about their antipathy, a handgun represents gangbangers and drive-by's.

:) yeh, i'd say this is the average opinion of the general public

Instead of mewling and blubbeeing about a legal advert, the Commish should perhaps address the container loads of black market handguns and more that get past him and his peers every year.

Bit more relevant I would imagine.

can't do that gaz, would make the cops look incompetant that stuff is getting past them ;) :sarcasm: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Previous

Return to Media and politics