FFS, Again?

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Re: FFS, Again?

Post by trekin » 08 Dec 2018, 7:24 am

grandadbushy wrote:What harm is a sign a legal one at that it's probably just a sales pitch some people may not have heard of gun world then they hear this
they go for a look to see what all the fuss is and bingo they know who gun world is and does, Game set and match for gun world
Commissioner Stewart would say what he did because that's part of what his job calls for
Is the sign bad for our sport well I think it depends on whether you like guns or not I suppose but do they take it down?
Well if so it being legal and all where does it stop then do we then start taking the '' Gun Shop ''signs down to please people
It's my opinion that a little common sense is required from both sides of the argument and this business is entitled to promote his
business providing they stay within the laws i'm thinking most people would understand this even the anti gun loby
If all else fails well don't look at it I don't like seeing all the bill boards on the road sides at voting time but I just don't
look at or read them I've already selected my vote before the voting kicks off :thumbsup:

Agreed.
But , there are some among us who are yet failing to see the elephant in the room. Commissioner Steward is a public servent appointed to uphold the laws of Parliament, if no laws are broken, then his personel opion is irrelevant and, in this case when publicly given, undermines his position.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 08 Dec 2018, 11:33 am

trekin wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:More controversy = more publicity = increased attention and sales from shooters that feel like an opressed minority.
As I said it stinks like a publicity stunt, they probably saw an increase in revenue after last year and tried to replicate it this year.
Maybe I am overly cynical but this type of thing is overall negative for shooters so I dont see good intentions as the motivating force behind it.

How so. GW run billboard adds all year, all over QLD. And I don't see their intentions are any different to any other bussiness who addvertise at this time of the year.

We actually agree with eachother, their intention is to increase sales, just like every other business.
The differences are:
1) other businesses advertising is not being commented on by the police commissioner
2) following last years controversy they knew exactly what was going to happen this year.
They are intentionally stirring crap, thats my main concern, because I dont agree with the concept that any publicity is good publicity.
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Dec 2018, 11:59 am

G'day Bigjobss, and Trekin.

I agree with both of you.

It's the policeman that's the issue.
He knows the ad is legal and breaks no statutory standards. The fact that it's a handgun, far harder to get hold of for average people than it is for crims, makes it an even bigger farce.

Is he a rabid anti?
Is getting a brown envelope full of pineapples for drumming up attention?
Does he harbor political ambitions and want to get some media.

Or is just too busy strangling his chicken to realize?
:unknown:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 08 Dec 2018, 12:37 pm

Hahaha strangling his chicken lol.

Yep its the handgun as an xmas present that probablys gets the antis and uninformed panties in a bunch because it conjures up images of USA gun culture, and we all know how bad and evil and Trump and Nazi and facist and ORANGE MAN BAD! SYSTEM OVERLOAD...DOES NOT COMPUTE :roll: :crazy:
Hahah you get my point (or not and you just think Im a weirdo lol).
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by trekin » 08 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

Bigjobss wrote:
trekin wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:More controversy = more publicity = increased attention and sales from shooters that feel like an opressed minority.
As I said it stinks like a publicity stunt, they probably saw an increase in revenue after last year and tried to replicate it this year.
Maybe I am overly cynical but this type of thing is overall negative for shooters so I dont see good intentions as the motivating force behind it.

How so. GW run billboard adds all year, all over QLD. And I don't see their intentions are any different to any other bussiness who addvertise at this time of the year.

We actually agree with eachother, their intention is to increase sales, just like every other business.
The differences are:
1) other businesses advertising is not being commented on by the police commissioner
2) following last years controversy they knew exactly what was going to happen this year.
They are intentionally stirring crap, thats my main concern, because I dont agree with the concept that any publicity is good publicity.

All bar the "good publicity" point. As I said, GW run billboard addvertising all year, all over this State, and not a word is said. But as soon as they run an add themed to the season (as every other bussiness does), all hell breaks loose. If they pick up some free addvertising in the process, then good luck to them, if they have done as you suggest, then that is just good addvertising strategy. Last years adds had 100% support of shooters all across the country, and if we don't show that same level of support this year it will show a chink that the antis will exploit.
And a Gaz said, the real problem here is the Commissioner and the public airing of his personel opions.
Last year, the opions of the Deputy Premier and those of the Minister for small bussiness were put in their rightful place, because we stood as one. This year, however, I see a divide that will set us back, I hope not, but it truely looks like it ATM.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Dec 2018, 9:07 pm

Thinking about this issue a bit this arvo...
[Not enough pokking available to keep me occupied..]

Am I right in thinking that this Police Commissioner either oversees, or strongly influences, the operations of Weapons Licensing in QLD?
[Him being the QLD Police Commissioner, and all...]

So.... The ONLY people who are going to be delighted by a brand-new Desert Eagle .357 in their stocking this Chrissy, are people who have applied for the weapon, and survived all of the scrutiny of Weapons Licensing, to ensure they are permitted/eligible/fit & proper to do so.
[It's not like you can thoughtfully tuck a nice little Glock into Little Tommys' stocking because he did really well in his grades at school!]

So... The organization that DECIDES an applicant has met all of the requirements to OWN the present/weapon, is the organization who answers to the guy who's whinging about the suitability of the advertising??

Might I suggest that:-
a). This police commissioner doesnt understand the process required to obtain a Christmas Handgun, OR
b). This police commissioner doesnt have any faith in Weapons Licensing performing due process, OR
c). This police commissioner has a tendency to speak before he really understands the issue, OR
d). All of the above.

Given this guy has signed off on removing bullbars from rural police cars (yes, even the polybars) because bullbars reduce the vehicle's ANCAP rating, I dont have a lot of faith in him doing much in the thinking department...

My 2 cents; others will likely disagree..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Dec 2018, 9:53 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Thinking about this issue a bit this arvo...
[Not enough pokking available to keep me occupied..]

Am I right in thinking that this Police Commissioner either oversees, or strongly influences, the operations of Weapons Licensing in QLD?
[Him being the QLD Police Commissioner, and all...]

So.... The ONLY people who are going to be delighted by a brand-new Desert Eagle .357 in their stocking this Chrissy, are people who have applied for the weapon, and survived all of the scrutiny of Weapons Licensing, to ensure they are permitted/eligible/fit & proper to do so.
[It's not like you can thoughtfully tuck a nice little Glock into Little Tommys' stocking because he did really well in his grades at school!]

So... The organization that DECIDES an applicant has met all of the requirements to OWN the present/weapon, is the organization who answers to the guy who's whinging about the suitability of the advertising??

Might I suggest that:-
a). This police commissioner doesnt understand the process required to obtain a Christmas Handgun, OR
b). This police commissioner doesnt have any faith in Weapons Licensing performing due process, OR
c). This police commissioner has a tendency to speak before he really understands the issue, OR
d). All of the above.

Given this guy has signed off on removing bullbars from rural police cars (yes, even the polybars) because bullbars reduce the vehicle's ANCAP rating, I dont have a lot of faith in him doing much in the thinking department...

My 2 cents; others will likely disagree..

no rod i agree with most of the posts that the police commisioner should not be commenting. and he's a goose. on the other side of the coin , average everyday people with no understanding of firearms freak when they see advertising on a billboard. while it's legal to do so it worries me that a lot of scared misinformed sheeple are going to add to GCA's ranks . bullbars are a nessecity in a rural enviroment and he's actually endangering police officers more by getting rid of bullbars than affecting ancap ratings. i wonder how the police union feel about this ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Dec 2018, 11:33 pm

Sheesh...

I cant believe some shooters are getting sucked into the negativity of this whiny propaganda...

Now i dont want to offend any that dont like this advert, so understand i say this with love... :D

Its an advertisment...thats all...whats to be worried about...??

Its almost like some are worried that if the general population see a gun advertisement the boogie men will come & get us... :roll: ...as if youve been sucked into & living the hysteria that the uneducated drama queens live to be hysterical about... :crazy: ...why be so worried if they are offended... :unknown:

For those that are worried...Really...what is there to hide from...???...or what about that advertisement dont you want people to know...???...that you shoot a gun...???...or is it that you really do have something to hide...? Or are you just scared or embarrassed to admit you enjoy shooting as a form of recreation in one or more of its many forms...?...and importantly--why do you want to take on & perpetuate their stupid stress...? :unknown:
These are just rhetorical questions meant to regain perspective...

Would it not be a fair assessment to say that any of us licenced shooters that get a new gun for Xmas would be happier than if we got a bread maker or a shaving kit... :unknown:

Using the anti's logic--Cars "kill" many people every year..a dam site more than we do with our firearms...!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: yet.i dont hear you calling for them to pull down their advertising in case they make us catch a train to work... :roll: or even worse...make you catch a dedicated shooter mini bus that departs every hour on Saturday to the range to make us look like the bunch of lepers they want us to be... :wtf:

The commissioners comments appear to me to be an embarrassment to the police force...they make no sense...if i was on their side & standing there as he spoke i would pretend i didnt know him & walk off down the street whistling while looking up in the trees... :lol:

Lets put it in perspective--If those comments were pointed directly toward a social group of homo's advertising to sell cup cakes to fund their mardigra float, he would loose his job through sheer weight of knotted frilly knickers ffs...!!!

So for those "worried about the backlash...stand up & call the comments for what they are & "let there be guns advertising"...(Where's Bon Scott when you need him...!!?)

Rod...i have 2 things to say...
1) all of the above... :thumbsup:

2)...you refer to firearms as "weapons"...as FAR TOO MANY of us do--

Guys...if only we could all grasp what saying this one silly word (weapons) does to the psych of people...the sooner we stop using this Americanism that instantly depicts that we are dangerous people, the sooner those that are worried can chuck their foil in the recycling bin & we could move forward & i can get my bunny smashing silencer back...!!!...!!

Each & every one of my firearms is no more a weapon than the 2.5" diameter branch hangin off the trunk of my peach tree...or the hammer hanin off my nail bag...or my car...or my work boots...or the spoon i use to put sugar in my coffee in the morning...or the plastic bin liner...!!

We own firearms lads...The military USE weapons...!!!

Seriously...when i was growing up they were called guns--never did anyone ive ever known use the term "weapon" when going out hunting or to the club--unless they were a toss bag--& usually they are the ones who need to be watched & are far too loose with swinging the muzzle around when one is up the spout...!!...it was always "guns/22/222/308/rifles/12g" etc...
I do notice more of the younger generations using this term cos its cool & manly & tuff & yea dood killer rad... :roll: (no offence to anyone younger than me, just an observation :thumbsup: ).

This term has come in since the ninties buy back scare mongering--lets get rid of it...!!

Maybe we should all band together & demand govt agencies & any legislation/regs that use the word "weapon" to define what we use at the range, to stop with that terminology...to be rid of this term in our circles could only be healthy for us...!!!

Advertise away...!!!...more advertising=more people buy more guns=guns get cheaper=i can afford to buy more & have more fun

(I think my problem tonight is i DIDNT have a Scotch...!) :lol:
Sorry its a long carry-on... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 6:21 am

a vary valid point stix. i agree with your thinking. you should've had a scotch. :lol: :lol: oh and your views on this post are valid too :thumbsup: my only concern is what drives politicians. public opinion. misguided, uninformed public opinion. do-gooders on some sort of crusade , that worries me. yeh your right about not being timid about being firearm and rural lifestyle enthusiasts ( i think i've invented a new politically correct term :D ). about 10 years ago, our stalinist premier we had in QLD, campbell newman , passed (railroaded) laws giving police the power to confiscate a private citizens motor vehicle , on the spot at the officers discretion. he by-passed parliment to impliment the "hoon laws". so it wasn't even voted on by our political representatives. i still maintain it's a breach of our rights. the police were using motoring enthusiasts as a fine based "cash cow" if they were driving modified vehicles/hot rods. all this happened because of a media storm over "hoon" driving. that and public opinion. media+ public opinion = someone gets screwed. some might think i'm being a bit over the top or paranoid , but i've seen what the media and halfwit pollies can do . it wasn't until the "motoring enthusiast party" formed and a senator elect was in parliment that the cops and pollies up here backed off. if firearm folks are gunna go mainstream in our society, we're gunna need better polictical representation than we've got now to protect our rights. cause there are a lot of ignorant sheeple that see firearms as one thing. guns kill people . hope i made some valid points, cause it's early and i DID have scotch last night :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by trekin » 09 Dec 2018, 7:21 am

bigrich wrote:a vary valid point stix. i agree with your thinking. you should've had a scotch. :lol: :lol: oh and your views on this post are valid too :thumbsup: my only concern is what drives politicians. public opinion. misguided, uninformed public opinion. do-gooders on some sort of crusade , that worries me. yeh your right about not being timid about being firearm and rural lifestyle enthusiasts ( i think i've invented a new politically correct term :D ). about 10 years ago, our stalinist premier we had in QLD, campbell newman , passed (railroaded) laws giving police the power to confiscate a private citizens motor vehicle , on the spot at the officers discretion. he by-passed parliment to impliment the "hoon laws". so it wasn't even voted on by our political representatives. i still maintain it's a breach of our rights. the police were using motoring enthusiasts as a fine based "cash cow" if they were driving modified vehicles/hot rods. all this happened because of a media storm over "hoon" driving. that and public opinion. media+ public opinion = someone gets screwed. some might think i'm being a bit over the top or paranoid , but i've seen what the media and halfwit pollies can do . it wasn't until the "motoring enthusiast party" formed and a senator elect was in parliment that the cops and pollies up here backed off. if firearm folks are gunna go mainstream in our society, we're gunna need better polictical representation than we've got now to protect our rights. cause there are a lot of ignorant sheeple that see firearms as one thing. guns kill people . hope i made some valid points, cause it's early and i DID have scotch last night :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Funnily enough, no members of the MEP were ever voted into the QLD Senate, because as everyone knows, we don't have a Senate up here. One Victorian member was voted into the Federal Senate in 2013, but he had little say, or effect on the anti hooning laws here, as the anti hooning laws are even stricter than what they were; https://www.qld.gov.au/law/crime-and-po ... me/hooning
However, your premise is correct, and proven as such last year. Which is what I am saying. Give your support to GW's legal right to advertise, irrespective of your personel beliefs, and contact the members of pro firearms Partys and let them know that the Commissioners personel opions on this lawful activity should not and will not be tolerated.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 8:25 am

the number of people that voted for MEP made authorities take notice and a advocate group was formed that sat down with police and department of transport representatives to nut out a better working relationship between all concerned. a senate elect , even from another state can take up and raise issues in government, which is one of the reasons the QLD authorities backed off and sat down to talk. i do support GW's rights, but i'm advising caution because of possible negative public/media backlash. don't worry about me voting for the right representation in politics. in general, for the last 10 years, i've been advising everyone i know to vote for the independant or minor party of their choice (EXCEPT FOR THE GREENS ), rather than the suits in the major parties that are only concerned about public opinion formed policy than the long term well being of this country. i could go on about what's wrong in our system ( as i'm sure many others can too ), but i'll leave it here. we all have a slightly different view on some of the topics on this forum , depending on personal beliefs and where some of us may live. but i'm sure one thing we can all agree on, we need political change and accountability in australia. maybe i should dye myself orange and run for prime minister to "make australia great again " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

big rich for PM :lol:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 09 Dec 2018, 12:30 pm

bigrich wrote:the number of people that voted for MEP made authorities take notice and a advocate group was formed that sat down with police and department of transport representatives to nut out a better working relationship between all concerned. a senate elect , even from another state can take up and raise issues in government, which is one of the reasons the QLD authorities backed off and sat down to talk. i do support GW's rights, but i'm advising caution because of possible negative public/media backlash. don't worry about me voting for the right representation in politics. in general, for the last 10 years, i've been advising everyone i know to vote for the independant or minor party of their choice (EXCEPT FOR THE GREENS ), rather than the suits in the major parties that are only concerned about public opinion formed policy than the long term well being of this country. i could go on about what's wrong in our system ( as i'm sure many others can too ), but i'll leave it here. we all have a slightly different view on some of the topics on this forum , depending on personal beliefs and where some of us may live. but i'm sure one thing we can all agree on, we need political change and accountability in australia. maybe i should dye myself orange and run for prime minister to "make australia great again " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

big rich for PM :lol:

I'll vote for ya, and being a Queenslander your love affair with Dark and Stormy is forgiven , I mean Daniels and Stormy wait nah thats not quite right either, holdup I will get it right...
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2018, 4:27 pm

how sad is that stormy daniels , yeh so trump had a fling. she's not shy about cashing in. ya don't hear about it much, but apparently JFK had women on the side all over the place. and bill clinton was caught out real bad . right now i'd like stormy daniels serving me a dark and stormy. ;) :drinks: :thumbsup:
and remember, big rich for PM.
"making australia great again" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm

bigrich wrote:a vary valid point stix. i agree with your thinking. you should've had a scotch. :lol: :lol: oh and your views on this post are valid too :thumbsup: my only concern is what drives politicians. public opinion. misguided, uninformed public opinion. do-gooders on some sort of crusade , that worries me. yeh your right about not being timid about being firearm and rural lifestyle enthusiasts ( i think i've invented a new politically correct term :D ). about 10 years ago, our stalinist premier we had in QLD, campbell newman , passed (railroaded) laws giving police the power to confiscate a private citizens motor vehicle , on the spot at the officers discretion. he by-passed parliment to impliment the "hoon laws". so it wasn't even voted on by our political representatives. i still maintain it's a breach of our rights. the police were using motoring enthusiasts as a fine based "cash cow" if they were driving modified vehicles/hot rods. all this happened because of a media storm over "hoon" driving. that and public opinion. media+ public opinion = someone gets screwed. some might think i'm being a bit over the top or paranoid , but i've seen what the media and halfwit pollies can do . it wasn't until the "motoring enthusiast party" formed and a senator elect was in parliment that the cops and pollies up here backed off. if firearm folks are gunna go mainstream in our society, we're gunna need better polictical representation than we've got now to protect our rights. cause there are a lot of ignorant sheeple that see firearms as one thing. guns kill people . hope i made some valid points, cause it's early and i DID have scotch last night :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Hey BR,,,i should have said that i fully understand where you guys are coming from in being worried about public opinion..h.really i do... :) ive no doubt not articulated myself well enough :thumbsdown:

And yes youre right about the public thats the problem...they are either un, or mis-informed...mate when we were kids it was different as i said...sure there was a lot of complacency, but i think there should be a balance, & we firearm owners are much more astute, safe & aware than we've ever been now...& the general public have a right to NOT live in fear...& given their fear comes from this misguided hoggledypoop, we should show them that there is nothing to fear...& tell them that yes...its highly likely someone near you got a gun for Xmas...& last year & the year before that & you werent in fear until the silly police man said things that didnt make sense about an advert..!

Have you ever seen the face of someone who has admitted they fear guns, but also admitted a curiosity... then under yours (or someone elses) trusting guidance they've had a crack at one...remember the look on their face- :clap: :clap: -thats what we need to get out there :clap:

Anyway...im babbling...i hope you get that i do get you & respect your worry, as naturally i have it too.. :thumbsup: ...but hiding it only makes it worse...education is key...getting rid of the fear in society is key...& we cant do that if we live & act out their fear, & worry about offending a twat by hiding a poster... :thumbsup:
Protecting our rights will be best done informing the public, not using scare mongering or hiding like the anti's & pollies & media do.

& by the way...I love it...your new term...we are RLE's.. :thumbsup: ....Rural Lifestyle Enthusiasts...Thats a banger mate... :clap: :thumbsup:

I dunno about PM...i rather you in a stint as an MP in a rural area will fit the bill nicely--then maybe you could sneak a few of your mates from here up to smash a few goats & pigs with you...all in the interests of the environment travelling on Govt funds of course... :D
(Ill bring the Pale eh... :thumbsup: )
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by Stix » 09 Dec 2018, 10:06 pm

trekin wrote:However, your premise is correct, and proven as such last year. Which is what I am saying. Give your support to GW's legal right to advertise, irrespective of your personel beliefs, and contact the members of pro firearms Partys and let them know that the Commissioners personel opions on this lawful activity should not and will not be tolerated.

Yup... :thumbsup:
Stix
Brigadier
Brigadier

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Dec 2018, 2:45 am

Where are the SSAA in this? Are they not the Ozzie shooters representatives?
It’s been on every morning show and everyone is bagging the crap out of it - especially using Aust as a target - with no one what so ever speaking to the truth of the matter...the commissioner going as far as saying he will be looking to change advertising laws...what’s that - won’t happen???
Already has...in Tassie the LGS are not allowed to advertise and their website content is restricted. They can have a face book page with open content - but many like me, aren’t on FB.
Yes - a storm in a tea cup maybe, but even tea has the ability to bring down a party...careful what you wish for GW.
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Captain
Captain

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 4:36 am

Something in the law must’ve changed in QLD recently, or it’s for political reasons. Rebel gun works have a statement on their website saying there are some firearms they can’t advertise on their website anymore. Check it out. Public opinion backlash ?
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2018, 4:59 am

just checked again, when you get on the site on a home computer the notice comes up on a moving "billboard" at the top of the home page. doesn't show up when go on my phone. it says "due to restrictions placed on rebel gun works by online store provider they can no longer advertise some rifles and handguns, but will continue to stock them." there's a little more to it, but that's the main part. can some computer/business savy people comment on this ? :unknown: i think the authorities might be worried about a lot of scared sheeple. i don't know all the facts, but the last time gun world stirred the pot with advertising, a mate of mine stopped in there during a week day to find the place had bin closed by the cops who were checking serial numbers on stock. :wtf: if you want to learn about a real battler against the authorities , look up Ron Owen ,a qld firesarms dealer. he was charged over 2850 times on offences, and was never convicted on anything. :o true. there's a old courier mail article online about it . he's still going, as a dealer up in gympie now with a world class firearms museum i'm told

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Media and politics