Just saw this :-(

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Just saw this :-(

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 5:13 pm

Very sad.
Attachments
Shooting death.JPG
Shooting death.JPG (155.52 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Just saw this :-(

Post by tom604 » 27 Dec 2018, 5:20 pm

bugger,,the antis will have a field day with this, sad for everyone involved :thumbsdown:
tom604
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Dec 2018, 6:49 pm

This is yet another sad example of simple safety procedures ignored.

I only ever hunt alone but even so the bolt doesn't go into the action until I'm set up in my lurking position, and I don't close the bolt on a round until I'm lòoking at the prospective target.
The bolt is back in its bag all ammo cleared before I get up off the ground.

It might sound a little anal, but I live a long way from town and it's sometimes 5 or 6 days before anyone visits this part of the property so a self inflicted would be terminal.

The tragedy is, it's not hard.
Living with "accidentally" putting a ballistic tip through one of your friends or family, that would be hard.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2018, 7:01 pm

this goes back to the topic posted about "not having a round chambered" sad tragic accident that should have been avoided
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2018, 7:06 pm

rip and sympathy to the family

this is a tragedy that could have been avoided with a common sence approach following safety rules
lots of questions eg... why was the rifle loaded, pointed, cocked, obviously no safety used and fired :unknown: :thumbsdown:
the guy deserves to be drawn and quartered but how many people have been shot cleaning there firearms
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

Some people should never be allowed to get on a 1000 cc road bike. Some people should never be allowed to have pets. Some people should not be allowed to breed. And some people should never be allowed to touch firearms. Lack of care can have tragic results Guns are not toys to play with over the Xmas holidays
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

Look at this tosser.

Well done Quantico. :clap:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-23/ ... y/10664498
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm

Blr243 wrote:Some people should never be allowed to get on a 1000 cc road bike. Some people should never be allowed to have pets. Some people should not be allowed to breed. And some people should never be allowed to touch firearms. Lack of care can have tragic results Guns are not toys to play with over the Xmas holidays

agreed but its not us who make the decision who gets a firearm licence :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 27 Dec 2018, 9:18 pm

It is not past any one of us to get caught out it only takes a slight lapse in concentration and it happens
We spoke of things like that not so far back about misjudging scope to bore whilst hunting from vehicles
Find a safe mode that suits you and practice it until it becomes part of you and stay vigilant at all times there is no excuse for complacency
When the words of '' Should have and Sorry'' are said it's already too late and the fall out could be devastating and some times impossible to
live with
None of us are stupid but some times we can find that we can let things lapse without realising it and before you know it happens
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Dec 2018, 10:10 am

Let us assume for one moment, that he is not a licenced shooter who would have passed the safety course, and have the benefit of having friends around to re-inforce such things.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Dec 2018, 11:22 am

trekin wrote:Let us assume for one moment, that he is not a licenced shooter who would have passed the safety course, and have the benefit of having friends around to re-inforce such things.

Even after passing the safety course there are still a heap of retards with firearms! :lol: It really does come down to good common sense and awareness about what you are doing at all times when it comes to firearms, I had an "incident" whilst in the Army and it has made me a better firearms user as a result, I'm very aware of its state of readiness at all times.

We learn more from our mistakes than we can ever do from reading a book or doing a test etc. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Jäger » 31 Dec 2018, 4:56 pm

It's a bit harsh saying he should never have had a license.
Tragedies happen. None of us go through life without making a mistake.
For most, the mistakes are minor, as you go up the scale, some mistakes lead to broken limbs and at the top, death.
I'm sure everyone would agree they never pack a rifle away with a round in the chamber, bolt closed & safety off.
Something obviously went wrong.
Unintentional mistakes happen and sometimes they are fatal. It's the probability of life.
Jäger
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Harrynsw » 31 Dec 2018, 10:23 pm

We'll probably never know the finer points, but at face value it seems to be Gross negligence.
I would say It's never been habit to empty the chamber after a hunt, and has probably been getting away with it for 20 years.
My condolences to the family of the young man who passed away, and my sympathies to the man who accidentally set off the rifle.
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 5:25 am

Harrynsw wrote:We'll probably never know the finer points, but at face value it seems to be Gross negligence.
I would say It's never been habit to empty the chamber after a hunt, and has probably been getting away with it for 20 years.
My condolences to the family of the young man who passed away, and my sympathies to the man who accidentally set off the rifle.

As someone earlier said mistakes happen - I doubt anyone who’s lived life has ever managed to get through life has done so without making any. Have a look at a cemetery I’m sure there’s a ****** up there that could attest to that fact.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Jan 2019, 8:09 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:We'll probably never know the finer points, but at face value it seems to be Gross negligence.

As someone earlier said mistakes happen - I doubt anyone who’s lived life has ever managed to get through life has done so without making any. Have a look at a cemetery I’m sure there’s a ****** up there that could attest to that fact.

That why I used sentences like "We'll probably never know the finer points" and "at face value".
At this point any theory can be correct.
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 9:54 am

Harrynsw wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

That why I used sentences like "We'll probably never know the finer points" and "at face value".
At this point any theory can be correct.

Accidents Happen, it's part of being a Human being, we aren't perfect and never will be, how do you know it's never been part of his routine, he may well have been distracted for whatever reason and forgot about it.

I'm sure you've had plenty of driving experience yet have had an accident or 2 or come close to having an accident or two for whatever reason, as I and others have said we aren't perfect, far from it infact, I've had quite a few close shaves over the years driving and riding motorbikes, some my fault some others, life's one big gamble really, you never know when something will go wrong and it will be your final seconds on the planet, be it at your own hands and bad mistake or someone else's I guess that's the nature of the beast being human beings

Gross negligence.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Harrynsw » 01 Jan 2019, 3:03 pm

You could possibly be right.....Yes have had some light globe moments when a lightning bolt of realisation hits you, but I can say with certainty, with the group if lads I hunt with chambers stay empty til an animal is seen, the chamber is cleared when the encounter ends, and bolts are left open when we return from the hunt, we reinforce this behaviour by asking the bloke next to us if he's chamber is empty.

This wasn't an accident that happened during a hunt, it happened at a time when the chamber should have been empty (If he was pulling it out to clean it)

You might now be able to perceive where I came from with my opinion.
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 3:38 pm

Harrynsw wrote:You could possibly be right.....Yes have had some light globe moments when a lightning bolt of realisation hits you, but I can say with certainty, with the group if lads I hunt with chambers stay empty til an animal is seen, the chamber is cleared when the encounter ends, and bolts are left open when we return from the hunt, we reinforce this behaviour by asking the bloke next to us if he's chamber is empty.

This wasn't an accident that happened during a hunt, it happened at a time when the chamber should have been empty (If he was pulling it out to clean it)

You might now be able to perceive where I came from with my opinion.

I do exactly the same routine as you Harry, he may well do the same we don't know all the details and never will. My point being don't think that this sort of thing can't happen no matter how good your routine or training is, plenty of people have come undone thinking they are beyond having such accidents cos they have a particular routine which should prevent it, quite simply it only takes some sort of distraction of one sort or another and it can all go very pearshaped in no time.

I'm like you by the sounds of it, very anal about it all after my little incident when in the Army, no one was ever in any danger as it was blanks but none the less it's made me a better firearms owner because of it which is fine by me. :drinks: cheers mate and have a good safe year ahead. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Next

Return to Media and politics