Wouldn't it be GREAT if,

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Wouldn't it be GREAT if,

Post by Die Judicii » 19 May 2019, 7:41 pm

With this infernal ongoing drought I can't help thinking,,,,

The bloody politicians can't make it rain,, but surely it'd be a welcome move if they'd drop the GST on hay.
Having to buy in feed (and already in some cases water) having to pay GST on top is just rubbing salt in the wounds ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Wouldn't it be GREAT if,

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2019, 8:20 pm

Die Judicii wrote:With this infernal ongoing drought I can't help thinking,,,,

The bloody politicians can't make it rain,, but surely it'd be a welcome move if they'd drop the GST on hay.
Having to buy in feed (and already in some cases water) having to pay GST on top is just rubbing salt in the wounds ???

It wouldn't hurt. We're stocking up on hay. We were literally inches from having to truck water in when we finally got some decent rain.

On the other hand, back in 2000 we were betting GST would be 10% for the one year and start creeping up. I'm amazed it's still at 10%!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Stix » 19 May 2019, 8:22 pm

I can only imagine that most farms, if not all are registered for GST whether they are sole traders, joint venture's, company's, trusts or however they are structured, & so they dont pay the GST anyway...
:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2019, 8:28 pm

Stix wrote:I can only imagine that most farms, if not all are registered for GST whether they are sole traders, joint venture's, company's, trusts or however they are structured, & so they dont pay the GST anyway...

True, but it's the small farms that are not GST registered that such a saving would most benefit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Strangedog » 19 May 2019, 8:34 pm

They pay it in the first place even if they get it back. With the cash flow issues farmers obviously face, it would suck. But it's a great system, some say.
Strangedog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 May 2019, 9:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:I can only imagine that most farms, if not all are registered for GST whether they are sole traders, joint venture's, company's, trusts or however they are structured, & so they dont pay the GST anyway...

True, but it's the small farms that are not GST registered that such a saving would most benefit.

I'm guessing, but I'd be rather surprised if there is a substantial proportion of even "small" farms that aren't registered for GST. The threshold is only $70k, and you can register at much lower turnover than that.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 19 May 2019, 9:47 pm

Yes they pay the GST in the first place, but they also receive it ftom what they sell, the difference being largely negligable to the bigger picture...& that picture is the dry one.

The GST isnt to blame for lack of rain, & given its required to run the country, i dont see why it should be used to fund a drougtt relief, which would only make things worse.

We dont want to sound like the people who think the "big polluters" (such as coal fired power stations) should be made to pay for the carbon they pump into the atmosphere--only to cry & complain that this cost was added to their power bills. ..god forbid they have to pay for the pollution their power puts out... :?

If the GST is removed from every bail of feed, the reality is it wouldnt make much of a difference to the cost of feed or the lack of rain...

I think you are al looking to blame the Govt & its tax system for the lack of rain over the last however long.

A better option, & if we were smart & had genuine intelligent humanitarians running this country over the last 50 yrs we would have something like a consumer pays levvy, that is cheaply & efficiently administered, in place.

Even to make the interest payed for feed on any overdraft fully & immediately deductable... :unknown:

It could be charged at the farm gate & passed on to the price tag in all retail outlets...whether it be cotton, lamb, beef, potatoes canola, milk, whatever...

At the end of the day, we live in a country that goes through a drought every 7-10 yrs...the fact we have been through so many droughts & not built in some level of self insurance to protect ourselves, just goes to show how greedy we are, & how we let ourselves be governed by people who are only interested in power & leaving a legacy--no matter the cost.
A great example of this is milk prices--how many of the population buy milk for $1/ltr--the bulk thats who.

We all pay for foxes & rabbits to be baited & endure sn horriffic, violent & painful death...we pay for it in the cost of our lamb & beef, but we just arent made aware of it... if we were asked to pay an extra levvy for drought relief we would all have kittens like we do over who is best suited to run the country...

I both understand & respect the sentiment, but im just saying i think making stock feed free of GST to anyone classed as a primary producer will only leave a big hole in both the industry itself & the country as a whole.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2019, 8:43 pm

100_5265.JPG
100_5265.JPG (695.01 KiB) Viewed 515 times
100_2907.JPG
100_2907.JPG (734.08 KiB) Viewed 515 times
100_5263.JPG
100_5263.JPG (973.12 KiB) Viewed 515 times
100_3967.JPG
100_3967.JPG (818.3 KiB) Viewed 515 times
Just for comparison, I dug up some photos taken 5 years ago, and today I drove down and took more photos with the same background,
and from standing in as near as possible the same place.
So here are pics of "Before" and "Now"
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 23 May 2019, 8:00 am

Wouldn't make any difference. Farmers don't pay GST anyway. If you are a hobby farmer who does pay GST, then all you have to do is register your ABN for GST, and then you won't pay GST either.

If they wanted to do something, what about reducing unnecessary costs? Things like chemical handling certificate which has to be renewed every few years. Truck registration for trucks that only do a couple of thousand kilometres per year, while major truck companies have trucks doing about two hundred thousand kilometres per year. NRM levies. Emergency services levy. Truck roadworthy inspections. Etc.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 23 May 2019, 12:44 pm

G'day Roo Farmer mate there was a situation with farm vehicles here in QLD where any farm vehicles could be registered for one third the price of a contractors vehicle this covered all cars to trucks these vehicles were only allowed to be used for farm business only they were recognised by the number plate and different rego sticker but unfortunately too many farmers used them for contracting , fishing all the things they weren't supposed to use them for so the gov stopped it after a big up roar from the truckies and all those compelled to pay full rego and was competing with the farmers trucks all the other stuff like poison certificates well I asked that question and was told that was because so many new poisons were coming onto the market and so quickly ,so what if you only use one poison all the time and was told ''you can't prove that''
I can but it's only revenue raising like all other things we pay for that we don't need If a big change is wanted then stop paying past prime ministers till they die let them pay their own way like everyone else put the money into a drought fund or a fund where people can borrow money to buy farms rather than having to sell to foreign companies just imagine the money going out for these every year also rein back the inflated salary of bank managers and corporate leaders then things will start to heal a little at a time ( Governments should remember ) ''Don't piss in the drinking water you may have to drink it yourself one day'' ( Good example '' Labour lost QLD '' ) need I say more ?
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 23 May 2019, 1:25 pm

Yes, in SA registration for primary producers is a little cheaper, but still per kilometres travelled it's way off.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Ziad » 23 May 2019, 4:22 pm

In VIC primary producers get a very discounted price as long as the vehicle is used for primary production purpose only.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 May 2019, 2:05 pm

Some nomads I know just came back from NSW where they spent a couple months out the back of some farmers oasis, with 20 other caravan residents at $15 a night...

Now they were telling me - I’m going to screw this up, but I think you’ll get the gist - the farmer was buying in rounds of hay from drought relief (inc delivery) for $120 a round orcthereabouts. But, somehow - he would accept them under one business name, and then sell them to himself for $250 a round, somehow claim the difference from tax and it ended up costing him about $10 a round...(I’ve cocked that up in more ways than one and I’ll ask them again when I next see them to clarify - but it was something like that) some smart arse accountant that had sorted it on the farmers behalf, tax payers covering the bill lol...he was apparently very well pleased the way things were going.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 25 May 2019, 10:28 am

TassieTiger wrote:Some nomads I know just came back from NSW where they spent a couple months out the back of some farmers oasis, with 20 other caravan residents at $15 a night...

Now they were telling me - I’m going to screw this up, but I think you’ll get the gist - the farmer was buying in rounds of hay from drought relief (inc delivery) for $120 a round orcthereabouts. But, somehow - he would accept them under one business name, and then sell them to himself for $250 a round, somehow claim the difference from tax and it ended up costing him about $10 a round...(I’ve cocked that up in more ways than one and I’ll ask them again when I next see them to clarify - but it was something like that) some smart arse accountant that had sorted it on the farmers behalf, tax payers covering the bill lol...he was apparently very well pleased the way things were going.

Yeah Tassie, that's a variant of what a bloke I know does.
He has a business, and put in a huge shed at his house, and then pays rent for it from his business to himself for use of the shed.

Cunning b@stards,, :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 25 May 2019, 10:34 am

Most ''Business Trusts'' operate like that and also have other benefits as well
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 25 May 2019, 10:31 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Yeah Tassie, that's a variant of what a bloke I know does.
He has a business, and put in a huge shed at his house, and then pays rent for it from his business to himself for use of the shed.

So the business pays rent to him personally and therefore the business gets a tax deduction. Meanwhile, the rent paid to him personally gets added to his personal income, and he is taxed on it. Gains on one side, loses on the other? What am I missing? How is it any benefit?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 May 2019, 10:35 pm

Multiple and numerous deductions and no doubt the rent amount would be cost neutral as to not “actually” cost anything...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Tasmania

Post by doc » 28 May 2019, 4:59 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Yeah Tassie, that's a variant of what a bloke I know does.

So the business pays rent to him personally and therefore the business gets a tax deduction. Meanwhile, the rent paid to him personally gets added to his personal income, and he is taxed on it. Gains on one side, loses on the other? What am I missing? How is it any benefit?

Precisely. I can't see how this would work, as the first business is making a significant profit and therefore would need to pay tax on that profit.

At somewhere the figures have to balance out, and that's where the taxman comes into play.

Most of the people that have assets in one name and pay rent as I understand it are doing it more for liability / separation of assets than anything else.
doc
Corporal
Corporal

-

Next

Return to Media and politics