Darwin...here we go...

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Darwin...here we go...

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2019, 10:13 pm

Was listening to this on the radio as cooking up some bunnies...

Bloody hell...here we go... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
More weeks of anti gun rubbish in the media...

Sad for those affected... :cry:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-04/ ... n/11179136
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Darwin...here we go...

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 10:27 pm

Bloody hell...SO much wrong with that story if its accurate.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jun 2019, 10:34 pm

First of all how did he get the fire arm secondly presumed just released from jail ban on guns , no gun licence doesn't look good but doesn't fit the description of lawful owners of guns people with half a brain should pick that up only the anti guns will try and capitalise on this story if they do people may realise just how bias the antis are
the interesting part is if Scomo comes back throws a tea towel over his head and starts hugging the people of Darwin like the NZ prime minister did
I doubt there is much to worry about people will see through it and make their own minds up
Member-Deleted

Post by wrenchman » 05 Jun 2019, 1:08 am

it has been on the news here i am sorry it happen sounds like he was looking for some one.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jun 2019, 1:39 am

So... where did he get the gun, how did he get the gun?

I thought all these gun laws were supposed to keep people safe?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2019, 4:54 am

Tragic event. And instead of introducing draconian laws on law abiding firearms owners over this, there should be serious consequences for crimes like this. In my own personal opinion I don’t think the taxpayers should be paying for criminals convicted of serious crimes and terrorism like this to have bed and breakfast for the next 30 years. Bring back capital punishment for this sort of crime, and child murderers . JMHO
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Jun 2019, 9:00 am

apparently he was wearing an electronic ankle bracelet at the time as he was on parole :unknown: he was being monitored
from what I read myself it does sound like he was looking for someone with an illegal unregistered shotgun
it makes such a mockery of what rules/laws are in place to protect the public from known offenders
it sounds to me like it was business as usual, probably sorting out a drug dept while being monitored
its embarrassing for the law enforcers :oops: with an ankle bracelet on they could not find him :wtf:
he rang a police super to organise handing himself in who alerted his whereabouts so they knew where he was :huh:

how I see this affecting us is that I believe that the media and anti's will say the firearm was a stolen firearm
there will be more push to have firearms stored at armouries because they will say our lockups are not efficient enough

funny thing about that is the gun clubs that have been pushing this for ages :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2019, 9:14 am

I’ll be interested to hear what facts come out about this. When it comes to “losing guns” the police are responsible for more than you think. Think confiscated stuff that goes missing
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 05 Jun 2019, 10:31 am

Criminal bikie who went crazy... No doubt illegally sourced firearm.

RIP to the victims.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 05 Jun 2019, 10:40 am

I dont even care about this. Insofar as I dont generally care in my daily life about the other 400 homicides per year in Australia, the 2600 suicides per year, or the 30 kids that starved round the world in the length of time it took to write this post. The attention placed on "mass murders" is warranted from an emotional point of view, but should not have anything to do with law changes as its statistically worthless.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by xDom » 05 Jun 2019, 11:06 am

Problem is, politics is a popularity contest. If the politicians can score points for the introduction of new gun laws then so they will introduce. The logic or the ineffectiveness of the law doesn’t come into it if they can appease a larger group than they can upset.
With NZ’s recent ordeal there could also be an element of competition into how swift or drastic any changes take place.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 05 Jun 2019, 12:40 pm

Who let him out on Parole and decided he was not a danger to the public ?.
I think that should be asked why are they not held to accountability as they should be if in my job I made a decision that had some people injured and some even killed would I be held to account .
I think I would .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2019, 1:27 pm

pomemax wrote:Who let him out on Parole and decided he was not a danger to the public ?.
I think that should be asked why are they not held to accountability as they should be if in my job I made a decision that had some people injured and some even killed would I be held to account .
I think I would .

Good point - how many stories have we recently heard about parole releasee's getting out and then killing their other half, or raping again - etc.
I agree 100%. The cops seem to do their part and then get screwed over at the next level...
I know "of" people running around Tassie whom have been caught breaking into cars, houses, selling stolen goods, multiple times...like - 4-5 times and they are on behavior bonds...WTF.

But this is confusing;
"But police also believe some of the victims may not have been known to the attacker at all.
He also said when the alleged shooter went to the police headquarters he was armed and kicked at the door.
Commissioner Kershaw said the alleged offender used a prohibited firearm that may have been stolen as far back as 1997. "

So, am I reading this correctly - the shooter went to Police headquarters armed and kicked the door, no one answered, no one had watch on security cameras, no one did anything but they knew he was armed ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 05 Jun 2019, 3:07 pm

Darwin ,,the land of the wanted and the unwanted :allegedly: bikie? (rebel?) whats the bet that the rest were the same or associates :unknown: didn't kill the chick just the blokes :violin: seems it could be a,,somebody did somebody wrong :unknown: we should find out in a day or two :|
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2019, 3:20 pm

I wonder if this is another "Self Cleaning Oven" thing or just some crim ****** going off his nut for whatever reason. :unknown:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 05 Jun 2019, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mickb » 05 Jun 2019, 3:47 pm

I dont even bother looking for blame regards letting parolees out. This blame culture is the reason gun rights are always on the chopping block and we can't speak our minds. Humans are unpredictable creatures, thankfully, because it means we largely enjoy a free lifestyle. We have fairly decent systems to deal with issues .They are not perfect and as such will occasionally be fallible, again, thankfully.

The comments on subjects like this with all the group think, group responsibility, look for blame, look for scapegoats reads like a communist manifesto.

Less people were killed in this event than normal homicide figures over a 2 week period.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jun 2019, 6:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I wonder if this is another "Self Cleaning Oven" thing or just some crim ****** going off his nut for whatever reason. :unknown:

Most plausible guess yet,

A biker with chunky ankle jewelry
Pi$$ed off about being bashed 2 days eirler
Hunting down Alex with a sawn of pumpy

One of the dead is a mafia looking Lebbo
... not sure about the other 3

Sounds a lot like typical lowlife biker stuff.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2019, 8:26 pm

mickb wrote:I dont even bother looking for blame regards letting parolees out. This blame culture is the reason gun rights are always on the chopping block and we can't speak our minds. Humans are unpredictable creatures, thankfully, because it means we largely enjoy a free lifestyle. We have fairly decent systems to deal with issues .They are not perfect and as such will occasionally be fallible, again, thankfully.

The comments on subjects like this with all the group think, group responsibility, look for blame, look for scapegoats reads like a communist manifesto.

Less people were killed in this event than normal homicide figures over a 2 week period.

Bet you’d give a s**t if it were your relatives or friends caught in the crossfire...your seeing a blame game play out as to possibly uncovering the root cause and thus trying to prevent it happening again = in your opinion equates to communist thinking? Equates to gun laws being reviewed?? Wanna pass the billy mate?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jun 2019, 9:09 pm

A good mate of mine did 14 years in Special handling unit prison service,He has met and dealt with the worst of the worst.His opinion is there are humans that are beyond help and they can be very cunning.The problem is young uni student do gooders take them on as a project and convince everyone they are reformed and the door revolves again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2019, 9:24 am

Looks like 3 of the victims were unknown to him - RIP.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2019, 10:01 am

mickb wrote:I dont even bother looking for blame regards letting parolees out. This blame culture is the reason gun rights are always on the chopping block and we can't speak our minds. Humans are unpredictable creatures, thankfully, because it means we largely enjoy a free lifestyle. We have fairly decent systems to deal with issues .They are not perfect and as such will occasionally be fallible, again, thankfully.

maybe so mickb
really that should be explained to law enforcement next time they push to get tougher gun laws because some psycho starts shooting people

it's about time they had a shake up instead of playing the blame game dont you think considering the murderer had already broken parole conditions 1 month prior and he had free run unburdened with an illegal pump action shotgun for over an hour shooting people before he tried to hand himself in :wtf:
if he didn't ring the police super they would still be looking for him
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Madang185 » 06 Jun 2019, 11:10 am

The real problem any shooter faces is that that Police and Media are unwilling to acknowledge the difference between legal ownership and criminal misuse. We all know that every weekend in particular many thousands of shooters partake in various competitions plus many thousands of others who individually or in groups are afield.
Because we are honest the Police are well aware of who and where we are and what we own. As such we are any easy target to be attacked.
In the meantime it appears that criminals roam at will obviously importing illegal firearms without much restriction. In one 8 day period in Victoria recently there were 8 firearm related murders. Perhaps the long arm of the law would be better concentrated on the criminal element instead of harassing legal firearm owners with administrative infringements.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2019, 7:00 pm

I'm sure I heard the firearm was purchased legally by one of his mates? WTF if true I guess he didn't know ol mate was going to kill someone with it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2019, 8:17 pm

what I heard was that the firearm had been stolen a long time ago but a licenced person recently bought him 2 boxes of ammo
it was also reported that he knew 2 of the guys he murdered over a drug debt and his ex girlfriend
he had been pulled over for speeding 6 hours earlier and the car he was driving was not searched, he was given a ticket and let go
I scratch my head at that one :wtf: a known bad offender on parole after breaking it pulled over and not interrogated :thumbsdown:
and that he was under the influence of ice while he was doing these crimes
Last edited by marksman on 07 Jun 2019, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 Jun 2019, 11:41 pm

It will come out at the trial. I think it is important to understand that the criminal is the person who is solely to blame for their behaviour. If a dysfunctional, anti-social criminal is hell bent on harming others, there is very little anyone can do to stop them. I strongly suspect this individual told his parole officer and the parole board what a changed person he was and how committed to a law abiding life he had become. Unsurprisingly criminals lie and don’t follow the rules. One thing is pretty clear, he isn’t likely to be released until dead or too old and frail to cause further harm. An example of this is Douglas Crabbe who drove his truck into a Ayers Rock bar in 1983. 36 years later he is still in prison. That’s not unreasonable in my view given that he killed 5 people.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jun 2019, 6:50 am

marksman wrote:what I heard was that the firearm had been stolen a long time ago but a licenced person recently bought him 2 boxes of ammo
it was also reported that he knew 2 of the guys he murdered over a drug debt and his ex girlfriend
he had been pulled over for speeding 6 hours earlier and the car he was driving was not searched, he was given a ticket and let go

That sounds more feasible that what I heard, it's amazing how the media can get the stories so twisted and wrong at times, doesn't say much for journalism these days. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JSS » 07 Jun 2019, 8:26 am

bigfellascott wrote:I'm sure I heard the firearm was purchased legally by one of his mates? WTF if true I guess he didn't know ol mate was going to kill someone with it.

That was the ammo, apparently it was bought by his mate with a licence. The gun was stolen.
His mate can kiss his license goodbye, which is fair enough if he's buying ammo for scumbag bikies.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2019, 11:08 am

Bruiser64 wrote:It will come out at the trial. I think it is important to understand that the criminal is the person who is solely to blame for their behaviour. If a dysfunctional, anti-social criminal is hell bent on harming others, there is very little anyone can do to stop them. I strongly suspect this individual told his parole officer and the parole board what a changed person he was and how committed to a law abiding life he had become. Unsurprisingly criminals lie and don’t follow the rules. One thing is pretty clear, he isn’t likely to be released until dead or too old and frail to cause further harm. An example of this is Douglas Crabbe who drove his truck into a Ayers Rock bar in 1983. 36 years later he is still in prison. That’s not unreasonable in my view given that he killed 5 people.

your right but we all know this :unknown:
it's a real shame the anti's and police services dont get this :thumbsdown:
I have been directly told by police that they cannot see a reason for anyone to own firearms :unknown:

it's good to see that guns are not seen as the enemy in this story so we do not get a wrap over the knuckles because of an idiot with an illegal gun :crazy:
pointing the finger to where the problems are is way better than sticking your head in the sand and hoping all will be well :wtf:
like some of our gun clubs have done in the past :shock:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Jun 2019, 7:47 pm

marksman wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:It will come out at the trial. I think it is important to understand that the criminal is the person who is solely to blame for their behaviour. If a dysfunctional, anti-social criminal is hell bent on harming others, there is very little anyone can do to stop them. I strongly suspect this individual told his parole officer and the parole board what a changed person he was and how committed to a law abiding life he had become. Unsurprisingly criminals lie and don’t follow the rules. One thing is pretty clear, he isn’t likely to be released until dead or too old and frail to cause further harm. An example of this is Douglas Crabbe who drove his truck into a Ayers Rock bar in 1983. 36 years later he is still in prison. That’s not unreasonable in my view given that he killed 5 people.

your right but we all know this :unknown:
it's a real shame the anti's and police services dont get this :thumbsdown:
I have been directly told by police that they cannot see a reason for anyone to own firearms :unknown:

it's good to see that guns are not seen as the enemy in this story so we do not get a wrap over the knuckles because of an idiot with an illegal gun :crazy:
pointing the finger to where the problems are is way better than sticking your head in the sand and hoping all will be well :wtf:
like some of our gun clubs have done in the past :shock:

Unfortunately for the police officers who can’t see why anyone needs a firearm, the Emperor of Australia didn’t die and put them in charge. So they just have to put up with the fact they live in a democracy and they get just one vote each. Just like the rest of us. Some public servants (like these police officers), really do have ideas well above their pay grade. Parliaments across Australia recognise that shooting is a valid pastime and that shooting is also an essential part of pest control.

It is good the antis haven’t ramped up. It’s a bit hard I suppose when this is an excellent example of how criminals don’t care about rules and will use any means they can to do what they want. I suspect the NT Parole Board is more likely to be in the spotlight for letting him out.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
marksman wrote:what I heard was that the firearm had been stolen a long time ago but a licenced person recently bought him 2 boxes of ammo

That sounds more feasible that what I heard, it's amazing how the media can get the stories so twisted and wrong at times, doesn't say much for journalism these days. :thumbsdown:

Just as people do their best to jump into the 'being offended' spotlight as quick as they can due to the social rewards it pays, especially with 5 minutes of notoriety on social media, journalists are also quick to jump into the 'first to publish-biggest impact' spotlight, because that too pays rewards.

A lot of them these days are just about self notoriety & career progression, & even if they get it wrong, they just claim their "apparent" source got it wrong or go quiet until the next loud shindig upsets the general offendees...all in all not being held to account for their publishing outlandish claims or complete lack of research.

I get the feeling a lot of journalists dont give a crap about what they write or the damage they do, & the only thing i know of in regards to holding media to account is media watch on ABC, & maybe sometimes 'the feed'...but what everyday 60 minutes watcher is ever going to see those programs... :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics