Media- And the public's right to know.

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Media- And the public's right to know.

Post by Madang185 » 28 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm

The current media claim about the public's right to know has another side that is never mentioned. The public's right to know is in reality the right to know what the media want us to know. In fact many subjects are simply ignored because the subject in question will not provide the media with the headlines it craves. In addition it may also react against who holds political power at the time. There are a great number of such subjects, the writer will mention 3 that are well known in shooting circles.

In 1990 a pair of drug fueled individuals entered a Melbourne house brandishing an axe. They were confronted by the owner standing at the top of the stairs who announced that he was armed. The pair announced they were going to behead him and proceeded up the stairs. The owner fired a single shot wounding one perpetrator, they both fleld. The owner called the Police. The home owner who pulled the trigger was charged with 25 ofences; 23 were mysteriously dropped when licensed firearm owners contributed more then $100,000 for his defense within 24 hours. The 2 remaining charged were dismissed by a jury months later. The following day the Herald Sun Newspaper devoted a 2 column width full page length Editorial about the armed vigilantes in the community. They put themselves above the law. Nothing was mentioned about the two perpetrators who received 300 hours each of community service.

Why was there not an inquest after Port Arthur? I suggest that one could reasonably expect the media, those guardians of public ethics to ask the question. Not a single peep. For that matter where was the legal profession? Did they complain?

I do not have to tell readers of this site of all the hoops and jumps one must go through to legally own a firearms and keep it safe. Of recent date Victoria Police, the same authority that hounds legal firearm owners for the slightest infraction of the rules has "lost" 268 firearms that are unaccounted for. Oh yes the media were forced to mention it but can you imagine the hue and cry if a dealer or heaven forbid a licensed owner lost track of 10 such firearms. I suggest he would be literally hung drawn and quartered whilst the media thundered for even tougher laws.

What disgusting hiprocracy.
Madang185
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Media- And the public's right to know.

Post by Stix » 28 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

Funny you should say that Madang185...

Just this rvo i was talking to a fellow who has just had his yank tank registered from being imported from the USA...

Among other silly beaurocratic non-sensicsl bulldust & hippocracy we discussed, were 2 main but silly points...

One--he has to remove the seat belts from the car because they are not "approved" by our standards...BUT...he is not required by law to install any seatbelts that are approved...
Thus, once the originality if this fine looking excessively long yank tank is disfigured, he can happily break the law & be dragged into cop stations & argue with police as to why he isnt wearing a seatbelt... :lol:

The other thing we chatted about, was if a shooter (one of us) inadvertantly left 2 live 12g shells in the side pocket of the gun case posing no direct threat to human life & this was discovered when they were randomly pulled over on the way home from a shooting trip...
They'd have to deal with god knows what sort of hell that may lead to loosing firesrms & lisencing for them, if the officer &/or powers to be were particularly difficult & not at all sensible in their understanding...

Yet...we can drink alcohol &/or rack up on some mighty fine energy lifting chemicals, get pissed, drive, & in doing so put every other road user's life at risk, along with pedestrians etc etc...& if caught, only have to pay a fine, be trusted to keep & not drive our car for a few months, & get our licence back with just an admin fee & trip to motor reg...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jun 2019, 9:31 pm

I have been known to b a bit slack with ammo on the way home from a trip to the bush but the rifles are always well hidden locked up and bolts out. I even have a trigger lock on the lever action
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 29 Jun 2019, 12:04 pm

When you're a primary producer or just shooting or hunting in the bush. It is very annoying to have to unload and store separately your ammo when you go from one nearby property to another and cross a public road. This does not promote safety in any way but it's what we must do. Stupid.
Strangedog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 29 Jun 2019, 7:53 pm

you have had a good hard think about things madang185

I agree "What disgusting hiprocracy."
marksman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 Jun 2019, 7:08 am

Media - a misnomer if ever there was one. A more correct name would be Machinery of Propaganda but that doesn't slip off the tongue too readily does it?
Then again the widespread use of the term Media could have resulted from a 'Freudian Slip' as media can be the plural of Medium ie; those who purport to speak to the spirit world and convey their messages to you.
Lets face it anything and everything that is conveyed to you by whatever mechanism, print, broadcast or even personal interaction may be designed to influence you in some way. The most insidious vehicle being a version of the world you may be predisposed or preconditioned to accept. Your only defence is your ability to think rationally.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziad » 30 Jun 2019, 7:17 am

And my contention is that the ability to think rationally is an ability that has gone the way of the dodo
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Patriot » 30 Jun 2019, 11:18 am

Your point about the police be hypocritical is an excellent one.

If the two blokes brandishing the axe were coming at the coppers and they used their firearm in self defence would they have 25 charges against them?

This has always bothered me, it’s like, police are more important just because the are employed as government enforcers. When it comes down to it we all have two feet and a heart beat, and self defence is an unalienable right.
Patriot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 30 Jun 2019, 12:41 pm

Madang185, Stix, Marrksman and Patriot
The Latin adage / saying "Dura lex sed lex" encapsulates these situations perfectly. It means / translates as The law may be harsh but it is the law.
As for hypocrisy, I don't see any at all. The police under law are granted privileges which aren't extended to or have been withdrawn from the general population.
If you think we have any inalienable rights whatsoever in any state of Australia then you are totally deluded. At best we may have privileges that have been granted or only somewhat restricted by laws.
Any delusional rights you think you may enjoy that haven't already been restricted can be withdrawn at the stroke of a pen if the political circumstances require it.
Do you think anybody in the ruling classes is going to 'educate' us plebs. They are happy for us to go to the polls every now and then to select one or another overseer and for us to continue grumbling in between times.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziad » 30 Jun 2019, 1:56 pm

Well said straight shot
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2019, 5:18 pm

The speed at which worlds medias put out exactly the same message across the developed world whenever they need to, which is 15+ countries, is shall we say 'pretty good evidence' objective journalism doesn't exist. :)

Much like the political parties of every western nation. I laugh when folks tell me why they voted for one political party or another. They must be able to pick up some minute difference between the same mass immigration, family breakup, gender diversity, electricity inflation, sale of assets, closing of manufacture, anti-gun policies from every party the last 40 years across 15 countries, that I cannot. :lol:
mickb
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by marksman » 01 Jul 2019, 2:25 pm

straightshooter wrote:Madang185, Stix, Marrksman and Patriot
The Latin adage / saying "Dura lex sed lex" encapsulates these situations perfectly. It means / translates as The law may be harsh but it is the law.
As for hypocrisy, I don't see any at all. The police under law are granted privileges which aren't extended to or have been withdrawn from the general population.
If you think we have any inalienable rights whatsoever in any state of Australia then you are totally deluded. At best we may have privileges that have been granted or only somewhat restricted by laws.
Any delusional rights you think you may enjoy that haven't already been restricted can be withdrawn at the stroke of a pen if the political circumstances require it.
Do you think anybody in the ruling classes is going to 'educate' us plebs. They are happy for us to go to the polls every now and then to select one or another overseer and for us to continue grumbling in between times.

I have to say I still see hypocrisy in the police being able to defend themselves but the victim citizen is not in the same situation :thumbsdown:
whether it be within the laws of the land or not
marksman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tophet1 » 02 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

Untill we start teaching our kids to question everything, the consumers will keep believing what they are fed.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Media and politics