Petition to Bring castle law to Australia

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Petition to Bring castle law to Australia

Post by straightshooter » 03 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

You must surely be totally befuddled to believe that a petition coming from plebs is going to go anywhere.
It is little more than a distracting diversion for plebs often-times removing their gaze from something far more serious quietly taking place.
The only time a petition can be successful is when it provides cover for a course of legislative action already decided on by some or all of the ruling elite.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2019, 8:54 am

straightshooter wrote:You must surely be totally befuddled to believe that a petition coming from plebs is going to go anywhere.
It is little more than a distracting diversion for plebs often-times removing their gaze from something far more serious quietly taking place.
The only time a petition can be successful is when it provides cover for a course of legislative action already decided on by some or all of the ruling elite.

So you’re advocating doing nothing. Shut up, ya won’t make a difference. Sorry mate, but I’m old school Aussie, I’ll have my say and if enough people are talking about amendments to our laws to combat rising crime and injustice, we may well get the media onboard which may pressure government to act. There was a public protest recently in Logan city about the lack of police and resources. As taz and trekking where debating, the law is open to interpretation and grey areas, the outcome of which are often determined by how much money you have to throw at a lawyer. Some of what I’ve said maybe fanciful dreams. But the Russians revolution started as just a idea.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 03 Jul 2019, 8:58 am

TassieTiger wrote:Your missing the point a little - I 100% guarantee, regardless of QLD laws vs other states laws, that one could quite easily find an insane court decision pertaining to someone who "believed" they were using self defense to protect themselves and then ended up getting F'd over it in one way or another - or very similar.
I recall from a few years back now and the "exact" facts I cant recall, but it went along the lines of - a kid broke into the Gympie hotel - got caught and was ejected. That same kid then attempted to climb the hotels roof in an attempt to gain entry and when the publican saw said kid, hurled abuse / something at the kid and he fell and broke a leg - and sued the publican. I was living in QLD at the time and recall the uproar...it's these situations Id like to see taken from "grey" and "debatable" to "clear cut" - no case to answer.

No mate, I think you misunderstand the point I am trying make.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2019, 9:16 am

As Lennon once wrote “all you need is love “

Or from the other Lenin “ down with the uncaring elites and the corruption of power “

Somewhere in the middle is a nice middle ground

This is shaping up to be a controversial topic, everyone is entitled to a point of view but respect for the views of others should also be considered
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jul 2019, 9:55 am

meanwhile, back at GCA Headquarters...
Attachments
EXCELLENT.jpg
EXCELLENT.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 5585 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jul 2019, 12:14 pm

Lol BBS

using a firearm in Australia in self defense will just get you in trouble... maybe another object could be used.

As it is the cops are too busy doing whatever they are doing to even come to your house to check on you. In Melbourne On the radio today, a house got tried to be broken into during early morning...000 was rung cops didn't show up 5hrs later crime scene van shows up. Then same house 2 weeks later a robbery took place 000 rang... yet again cops didn't show up. The crime scene van was there within 2 hours though.

Yet you see cops and even public crying jail time for people driving 5kph over the speed limits.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jul 2019, 12:47 pm

^Who is advocating the use of fireArms for self defense? The advocation is for the right to defend ones families safety and personal property without due risk from “grey” areas being applied.

I’m with you BR, it’s easy to sit back, do nothing and cast stones and say it will never work...baaaaaa go the sheep.

This might do nothing...the next one might do nothing...but who knows, the 3rd or 4th attempt might just reference the 1st petition and as a rolling stone or what ever - it might just be enough to be referenced somewhere / sometime to stop the erosion of more civil rights...it might not be THE answer, but it IS something...
one of the reasons we are all in our current big brother baby nappy climate is because the govt can rely on enough sheep to do nothing...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

TassieTiger wrote:^Who is advocating the use of fireArms for self defense? The advocation is for the right to defend ones families safety and personal property without due risk from “grey” areas being applied.

I’m with you BR, it’s easy to sit back, do nothing and cast stones and say it will never work...baaaaaa go the sheep.

This might do nothing...the next one might do nothing...but who knows, the 3rd or 4th attempt might just reference the 1st petition and as a rolling stone or what ever - it might just be enough to be referenced somewhere / sometime to stop the erosion of more civil rights...it might not be THE answer, but it IS something...
one of the reasons we are all in our current big brother baby nappy climate is because the govt can rely on enough sheep to do nothing...

i agree taz , i dunno why BBSS keeps gravitating to firearms being used for self defense and running afoul of GCA . i'm not refering to firearms in any way, shape or form . in this PC world where crims have more rights than victims change is needed.

do you know what happens if people don't speak up ?

nothing !

better to have tried and lost than never tried at all ! ava-go-ya-mugs ! what's happened to our old school colonial spirit :unknown:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jul 2019, 4:58 pm

bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote: i dunno why BBSS keeps gravitating to firearms being used for self defense and running afoul of GCA . :

Ummm, because this is a gun forum for the Shooting Community.... :unknown:

but you're absolutely right bigrich, you didn't refer to firearms, I made it about firearms... but then, I wouldn't get any exercise at all if i didn't jump to conclusions :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 5:18 pm

The granma case was a bit unique as they were lost and only wished for help and she came out the property with a shotgun.The only people who know exactly what happened were the people there.She should of remained in the property with the flyscreen or door locked and talked through the door with the shotgun out of sight but handy in case.I lived in welfare housing in a small town with my 4 children 5-11 years old and our adjacent neighbor was of Aboriginal descent.Her children used to come over and we would all kick the footy around and it was all good till a bunch of other people turned up and my fishing gear and pushbike got stolen.So I asked the Mum to not send the kids over next thing a bunch of large adult men start trouble so I had my Greener 12 bore with oo/sg next to the front door and a fake samurai sword as well.When they turned up en mass late at night it gave me a great deal of comfort knowing that as the last line of defence for my 5 yr old daughterI had the advantage.Next visitors were the police as They alleged I started it and threatened to shoot them.They seized my firearms of course and the whole situation mellowed out.I ended up trading my firearms for fishing gear at Sportsmarine.Moral of the story all you can do is hope weird stuff does not come your way.years later I did some research and I still had a firearms licence so I bought another shotgun real quick.If I had stepped out the door I would of been charged for sure with probably [Going armed in public to cause terror.]Shoving the Samurai sword through the flyscreen scared them off enough and cost $20 to replace.The police were very civil and agreed with my choice of Shotshell however had to take action as they had no surety that I would not flip out later.Bit embarrassing for them when the court finds out they left me with firearms.The main instigator is now serving a long sentence as he jumped into a young couples bedroom and held a knife to them and half the others have been killed in car crashes
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2019, 8:17 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote: i dunno why BBSS keeps gravitating to firearms being used for self defense and running afoul of GCA . :

Ummm, because this is a gun forum for the Shooting Community.... :unknown:

but you're absolutely right bigrich, you didn't refer to firearms, I made it about firearms... but then, I wouldn't get any exercise at all if i didn't jump to conclusions :drinks:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 04 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

This isn't about firearms for self defence no, it's about the right to defend yourself. I believe we have that right, however the police and perhaps the courts seem to want to side with the criminal in cases like this. Why does this happen is the question I'd like answered. But I personally would like to be able to own a firearm for self defence. It's not a big surprise when this subject arises when talking about self defence because we are all firearm owners on this site. What amazes me is that a large proportion of people on here would disagree with me and even go as far as not wanting me to express that opinion on here because they believe it is somehow morally wrong, or it might upset someone.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2019, 10:51 pm

There are laws already in place for protecting one self but I to think that they don't cover the problem that arises with the potential violence that could be dished out by these individuals on law abiding citizens the reason the self defence laws aren't more user friendly to the possible victim is the powers don't want hero type individuals taking it upon themselves and deciding to dish out self defence on people who they are only arguing with or had an argument with and then claiming self defence when confronted with the issue so the powers err on the side of caution by restricting the amount of self defence one can dish out on a criminal which at present gives the criminal the advantage We all know many people get beaten up over disputes and self defence is claimed as a result even in and around dwellings what law should change is the break and enter with intent of doing harm then the dishing out of self defence and the amount should be decided by victim in that moment especially when the criminal is armed that way the victim can argue their case rather than charged straight up with assault for beating a felon intending to harm you
Member-Deleted

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jul 2019, 12:16 am

I believe having the ability to defend yourself is a basic inalienable human right that trumps anything government says or does.

I can tell you if I'm Australia and someone is trying to kill me or put me in the hospital, I'll do whatever I need to do to stop it and escape. People that worry about laws when that happens are the ones that end up dead or disabled for life.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 05 Jul 2019, 6:21 am

Strangedog wrote:This isn't about firearms for self defence no, it's about the right to defend yourself. I believe we have that right, however the police and perhaps the courts seem to want to side with the criminal in cases like this. Why does this happen is the question I'd like answered. But I personally would like to be able to own a firearm for self defence. It's not a big surprise when this subject arises when talking about self defence because we are all firearm owners on this site. What amazes me is that a large proportion of people on here would disagree with me and even go as far as not wanting me to express that opinion on here because they believe it is somehow morally wrong, or it might upset someone.

i wouldn't say that people disagree with you, it's more a case of this site being monitored by feds and trolled by anti's looking for dirt. duncan61's case is all too common unfortunately myself, i'm refering to the right to defend your self and property against invaders with support from the law regarding your basic right to defend yourself. homeowners have been prosicuted for that . i beleive the granny on the remote property had the right to brandish a shotty for her self defense under the circumstances of the situation. i wouldn't dream of resorting to a firearm for self defense . i have a bread board ;) . of coarse if some crim who chooses to home invade is real unlucky i might be sharpening a gardening impliment at the time JMHO

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 Jul 2019, 8:04 am

:thumbsup: Spot on bigrich and ya can't help if the invader fell up and down the stairs 4 or 5 times making him a little worse for wear :thumbsup: :D
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

This situation ripples my hairs because of a personal situation that happened to me many years ago...when late one night I heard 3 ppl stealing my car.
I took after them and caught one...he fell down the stairs and I dragged him back to the house where cops were on route...

They took him from me - and interviewed him and then I saw him being allowed to walk away...I got angry.
Cops said to me - that guy said he was walking along homeward and you ran up to him and hit him...so we have let him go and will await his instructions in regards to any charges to be laid...never mind that my car was still sitting in the middle of the road from where they had pushed it and took off when I came outside...never mind the cops couldn’t get a finger print team out to verify the wankers involvement - but the cop said to me and made it abundantly clear - you do not have any right to assault anyone, anytime, anywhere...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 05 Jul 2019, 10:28 am

TassieTiger wrote:This situation ripples my hairs because of a personal situation that happened to me many years ago...when late one night I heard 3 ppl stealing my car.
I took after them and caught one...he fell down the stairs and I dragged him back to the house where cops were on route...

They took him from me - and interviewed him and then I saw him being allowed to walk away...I got angry.
Cops said to me - that guy said he was walking along homeward and you ran up to him and hit him...so we have let him go and will await his instructions in regards to any charges to be laid...never mind that my car was still sitting in the middle of the road from where they had pushed it and took off when I came outside...never mind the cops couldn’t get a finger print team out to verify the wankers involvement - but the cop said to me and made it abundantly clear - you do not have any right to assault anyone, anytime, anywhere...

real sad state of affairs in australia isn't it . that's why we need to bring public and media preasure on this subject , cause that's the only way to get action . in your case taz , it's no wonder people think about becoming vigilantes . which i would be inclined to turn a blind eye to in some situations ;)

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 05 Jul 2019, 6:06 pm

Back in the day Police would turn a blind eye to a lot of things and even dish out a bit of punishment themselves. That day was better.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Jul 2019, 7:19 pm

Damn tassie. Rephrasing what someone else said......if you wanna do something do it right
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 06 Jul 2019, 5:40 pm

Im not signing it based on the fact its a change.org petition. change.org may as well be an opinion poll on today or sunrise for all the attention that politicians will pay. If the owner of the petition was serious about making a change it would have been either a state or federal e-petition not a petition on a site thats going to spam your inbox with $h1t after you sign
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2019, 6:51 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Im not signing it based on the fact its a change.org petition. change.org may as well be an opinion poll on today or sunrise for all the attention that politicians will pay. If the owner of the petition was serious about making a change it would have been either a state or federal e-petition not a petition on a site thats going to spam your inbox with $h1t after you sign

that's a very valid point........ :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 08 Jul 2019, 10:06 pm

bigrich wrote: But the Russians revolution started as just a idea.....

are you suggesting the Bolshevik revolution was a good thing?
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Jul 2019, 5:30 am

flutch wrote:
bigrich wrote: But the Russians revolution started as just a idea.....

are you suggesting the Bolshevik revolution was a good thing?

Not at all . The point was sometimes “just a idea “ can grow and turn into something much bigger. A better example would be the American revolution. Or the French Revolution depending on your views off history. Modern society is full of apathy and everyone seems to be side tracked by a increasing more complex society and social media . JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by trekin » 09 Jul 2019, 7:56 am

For Taz, at 1630 yesterday, the pub that one of my daughters is a manager at was held up at gun point (replica hundgun) by four men. Her bar staff recognised the gun as a replica, and took these scum to task and touched two of them up pretty good before they were able to get away. Unfortunatly, a sixty yo regular who stepped up to help, was beaten so badly he is not expected to survive. The local coppers ran three of the scum down within the hour, and they started bleating on about sueing the pub and staff for their injuries, and that it was in self defence that the old bloke got bashed. Coppers told them, in no uncertain terms, that, that crap doesn't wash up here, and that they had lost their right to that defence the moment they entered the premises with intent.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Jul 2019, 7:57 am

Farmerpete wrote:Im not signing it based on the fact its a change.org petition. change.org may as well be an opinion poll on today or sunrise for all the attention that politicians will pay. If the owner of the petition was serious about making a change it would have been either a state or federal e-petition not a petition on a site thats going to spam your inbox with $h1t after you sign

Agreed as well - but please let me know where your petition might be so I can sign yours?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Jul 2019, 8:00 am

Agreed as well - but please let me know where your petition might be so I can sign yours?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 09 Jul 2019, 8:40 am

trekin wrote:For Taz, at 1630 yesterday, the pub that one of my daughters is a manager at was held up at gun point (replica hundgun) by four men. Her bar staff recognised the gun as a replica, and took these scum to task and touched two of them up pretty good before they were able to get away. Unfortunatly, a sixty yo regular who stepped up to help, was beaten so badly he is not expected to survive. The local coppers ran three of the scum down within the hour, and they started bleating on about sueing the pub and staff for their injuries, and that it was in self defence that the old bloke got bashed. Coppers told them, in no uncertain terms, that, that crap doesn't wash up here, and that they had lost their right to that defence the moment they entered the premises with intent.

Can you see how sloppy use of language sometimes is the cause of a lot of problems for victims.
Wouldn't it have been better to say - when confronted, they were compelled to defend themselves for fear for their lives
In circumstances such as this, when speaking to Police, trying to 'big note' oneself even in a subtle way is only a recipe for a lot of problems.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 09 Jul 2019, 8:55 am

straightshooter wrote:
trekin wrote:For Taz, at 1630 yesterday, the pub that one of my daughters is a manager at was held up at gun point (replica hundgun) by four men. Her bar staff recognised the gun as a replica, and took these scum to task and touched two of them up pretty good before they were able to get away. Unfortunatly, a sixty yo regular who stepped up to help, was beaten so badly he is not expected to survive. The local coppers ran three of the scum down within the hour, and they started bleating on about sueing the pub and staff for their injuries, and that it was in self defence that the old bloke got bashed. Coppers told them, in no uncertain terms, that, that crap doesn't wash up here, and that they had lost their right to that defence the moment they entered the premises with intent.

Can you see how sloppy use of language sometimes is the cause of a lot of problems for victims.
Wouldn't it have been better to say - when confronted, they were compelled to defend themselves for fear for their lives
In circumstances such as this, when speaking to Police, trying to 'big note' oneself even in a subtle way is only a recipe for a lot of problems.

No mate, I don't, as those are my words, and my words only. The staff at this pub are pretty well versed at how to word a report to the police, as this is the fourth time this year alone that they have had an armed robbery happen there.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Jul 2019, 9:07 am

The fact these pricks even had the gall to bring it up shows where society’s head is at...
Food on the coppers - but if the wankers get a smart arse lawyer....?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics