Convictions leading to license cancellation

Shooting in the news and political arena.

Convictions leading to license cancellation

Post by xDom » 14 Aug 2019, 6:59 am

The topic came up at work yesterday and as usual there were a variety or opinions and interpretations.
What offences would lead to having your firearm license revoked?
One guy said Drunk Driving? Is this true?
When I did my Firearm Safety course there was a bloke there doing it because his license had been revoked over drink driving but he had his guns in the car at the time.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Convictions leading to license cancellation

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Aug 2019, 7:22 am

A single conviction on it's own would not affect your Firearms Licence, your 3rd would give them reason to cancel on the premise that you fail the "good character" test, but you would be unlucky. All this would depend on the level of intoxication, ie: all low level "bad luck" busts, or high level "pissed as a newt". The Character Test they now have is a wide ranging tool they can use at their own discretion, to take your licence as they see fit, The "Public Interest" angle is another one they can use. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Aug 2019, 7:26 am

xDom wrote:The topic came up at work yesterday and as usual there were a variety or opinions and interpretations.
What offences would lead to having your firearm license revoked?
One guy said Drunk Driving? Is this true?
When I did my Firearm Safety course there was a bloke there doing it because his license had been revoked over drink driving but he had his guns in the car at the time.

When I did it there was a bloke having to apply for his licence again because he'd moved house several times, including interstate, without advising them of his addresses or updating his storage addresses. My memory is that he was stupid rather than criminal, just following the work wherever it took him without worrying about updating paperwork.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 14 Aug 2019, 8:05 am

This is mostly spelled out fairly clearly in each state's firearms act. It's not a difficult read.
Don't rely on any legal assertion on a forum.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by xDom » 14 Aug 2019, 8:33 am

straightshooter wrote:This is mostly spelled out fairly clearly in each state's firearms act. It's not a difficult read.
Don't rely on any legal assertion on a forum.

Rely on it.. no. Bringing up the topic on a public forum for discussion among posters who are actively involved in the sport.. yes.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 14 Aug 2019, 8:58 pm

I imagine anything to do with Violence or misuse of Firearms would be an automatic cancellation, anything else could be open to interpretation/enforcement.
A guy I used to work with was in a share house with a scumbag who was being jailed for some pedo related convictions, said scumbag still had his guns and license at the time I met him (the only time I met him - helping a workmate move some stuff).................
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 15 Aug 2019, 9:51 am

One of the blokes that goes to the local range was locked up twise when he was younger for stealing cars. He currently has his A/B license and is trying to get his H (I think he had to jump through alot of hoops for the AB). I like the guy and I don't know the full story but I don't think you should be able to own firearms when you've been locked up twise
Kelsey Cooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 15 Aug 2019, 10:38 am

We had a loose cannon at work a few years back. After many years of tantrums and meltdowns he finally got the arse.
On his departure he made threats to the workplace as a whole, saying he was gonna do this and that..
Cops never took his guns off him.
I’m sure there’s many stories on the flip side where shooters have lost their licence over minor, inconsequential matters.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 17 Aug 2019, 1:01 am

One of our members with a QLD Cat H was involved in a siege with police and kept his license so who the hell knows. The commissioner has very wide discretion in pretty much every state as well so even if you were a convicted murderer you could still get a license as soon as you got out in theory.

Weapons Licensing did send out letters to some license holders within the last couple of years warning about multiple driving offenses ie drink driving and top range speeding indicating the license holder had no regard for the law which could make them not fit and proper to hold a weapons license. I don't recall anyone actually losing their license and the letters have not been reported since.

I'd say someone complained or called their bluff and Weapons pulled their heads out of their ass because they haven't appeared since shortly after they first appeared.
Chinballs
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Media and politics