Hundreds of firearms seized across Australia

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Hundreds of firearms seized across Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2019, 8:00 am

trekin wrote:Who, exactly are the "guys whinging about inspections" in this thread?
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of ", after reading some of the posts here, it appears that there are a few who do believe that they have something to hide, or maybe they're just ashamed at being law abiding in this upside down country.

I would hope, and trust that nobody on this forum has anything to hide, and I doubt any firearm owner feels any shame for abiding the stupid laws we're stuck with.

I also didn't notice anybody whinging about inspections, I must've missed that completely.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 8:02 am

TassieTiger wrote:Any stats on how many legally owned and registered firearms were actually stolen from safes ?

We are never told that, are we?. Mmmmm I wonder why?

On the telly a while back, (abc i think) show about illegal drugs. They stated that less than 1% of shipping containers get xrayed. And no checks on any yachts & most shipping coming into the country.

So maybe safer to just ship them in in bulk!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Sep 2019, 9:20 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:+1 JSS , I live in suburbia and don’t tell the neighbors I’ve got firearms, I keep things out of sight by loading my gun cases in my vehicle in my side yard so people can’t sticky beak. There are opportunistic scumbags looking for a quick buck out there, I don’t make it easy for them

Yep, I do the same. And I dont have "winchester" or "deer hunting" signs on my ute.

Some of the stickers I see on vehicles are a real give away. Only sticker I got on my vehicle is the “eureka “ flag
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Sep 2019, 10:28 am

Oldbloke wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Any stats on how many legally owned and registered firearms were actually stolen from safes ?

We are never told that, are we?. Mmmmm I wonder why?

On the telly a while back, (abc i think) show about illegal drugs. They stated that less than 1% of shipping containers get xrayed. And no checks on any yachts & most shipping coming into the country.

So maybe safer to just ship them in in bulk!

Problem out there now - and I see it daily in my work - is that stats can be and are manipulated to what ever the end user wants...

Eg 1% of shipping containers are x rayed is not the way the govt would spin it.
They’d say, a very high number of containers coming into the country are checked and x rayed for illegal firearms. Of those containers checked, 99% are found to be clean (giving an indication of a much higher check ratio)...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ricochet » 05 Sep 2019, 11:04 am

JSS wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
JSS wrote:
trekin wrote:
JSS wrote:So what? If you're gear is stored safely then who cares if you get an inspection? Is having a couple of coppers turn up to your house for a short while really that big of an issue?
Oh the oppression and victimisation they must have felt, perhaps they need a hug.

And yet, one is left wondering just how much more of the 'actual problem' could have being fixed with the manpower and resources expended on these unnecessarly targeted inspections of LAFOs during an operation that was supposed to tackle the trafficking and use of illicit firearms.

I'm pretty sure weapons licencing aren't the ones running around kicking in doors with warrants taking guns off criminals, tracking internet sales of "solvent traps" or confiscating suppressors & guns/parts at customs. So while other branches are covering those avenues why shouldn't they go and check on some lafos as well.
My guess is they've figured out that perhaps some of the older blokes who didn't have to worry about safe storage for many years may just need to be checked on to keep their guns safe, and people with over 20 guns (which many of us are) might be considered targets for thieves. I don't really know what their thinking is but like i said who gives a f@ck if they come and check on us? If your guns are safe it's cost you nothing, and if they're not then cop it on the chin.

The article said they also confiscated a small amount of "unsecured ammo and firearms" which says to me that they were legal guns & ammo, so some of their as you put it "unnecessary targeted inspections" were in fact necessary.

I just don't get the mindset some people have about inspections. They come, smile & show em your guns, they go........what's the issue? They didn't kick your dog or shag your wife so who cares?

Do you actually believe the GCA bulls**t that LAFO's are the primary source of firearms used in gun crime? When you accept the truth, that violent criminals have zero interest in stealing our firearms, then perhaps you'll understand why it's a tragic waste of resources that should be directed elsewhere, where it can achieve measurable results against violent crime.

I'm not saying they don't waste money, and are we the primary source of illegal guns, no, but i can tell you for a fact legal guns get stolen, when i was 20 (so way back before the safe storage laws) i was at a mates house when a bloke came over trying to sell two 22's and a 12g pumpy that he somehow ended up with that were stolen from some poor bastard. We told him to f@ck off and never come back. I also had my place broken into once many years ago before the safe storage laws and i had 4 guns under the bed, if they had of checked under the bed there would be 4 more illegal guns floating around out there, so don't try to tell me that unsecured guns don't get stolen because they do.
It may not be the violent criminals stealing them, it's the dead sh!ts and junkies breaking into houses, but everything they steal ends up back at the drug dealers house being swapped for drugs, so yes they eventually do end up in the hands of the not so nice.

If your guns are not secure and the cops take them then suck sh!t you got what you deserve. And don't worry they're spending plenty of money to combat violent crime and i'm sure a large chunk of that is being wasted too.

Like Tassie said how many legal guns in safes were taken? The answer would be NONE.

We have plenty of gun restrictions/laws here that suck, but the safe storage laws aren't one of them.

:clap:
Still waiting for my licence, no guns yet.
Do have safe waiting to be bolted down, and a lockable cash safe(edit: lockable cash tin) for extra ammo storage, might have to get another two or three of those :D
Last edited by Ricochet on 05 Sep 2019, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2019, 3:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Problem out there now - and I see it daily in my work - is that stats can be and are manipulated to what ever the end user wants...

Eg 1% of shipping containers are x rayed is not the way the govt would spin it.
They’d say, a very high number of containers coming into the country are checked and x rayed for illegal firearms. Of those containers checked, 99% are found to be clean (giving an indication of a much higher check ratio)...

Agree, i have seen it many times. But it was quoted the way i said.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Sep 2019, 3:35 pm

Lol you are right... the saying goes, there is lies, damned lies then there is statistics.

Yep 1% is about where it is, but if you see border force or customs tv shows... which are just marketing fluf
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mickb » 05 Sep 2019, 9:31 pm

Some blokes get mixed up about the fact abiding by laws does not necessarily mean agreeing with them. Its well within law abiding citizens rights to assess and blackmark new laws in the making or challenge or lobby those already passed. Its not about conspiracy theories, its just about maintaning the balance between legislators and the public, which is how its meant to work.

I abide by gunlaws and paying traffic tickets for example but am also happy to call both shamworthy/revenue based, if they appear so.

Currently we have vastly more laws than we did 30 years ago, with 2x the police per capita to maintain them and 100% more people going to prison. Thats not a net postive effect, its a royal f***ing clusterf***. It means a lot of these laws are missing their intended targets or failing to deter or influence people to do right. Perfect reasons to demand better from the government.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Sep 2019, 11:19 pm

Interestingly and just to put my own foot in my mouth RE stats - a local internal police report has just been leaked to the press down here in tassie and shows how darn good the firearm laws are working...I can’t recall no’s exactly and now I can’t find the report (May have been pulled)...but it was along the lines of——
65 armed robberies in the last year is up 30% on last year, a 25% increase in other violent attacks, 30% increase in vehicle thefts, 12% increase in drug deaths, home invasions up 15%, etc - every single heading for measurement has jumped north significantly...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by trekin » 08 Sep 2019, 7:44 am

bladeracer wrote:
trekin wrote:Who, exactly are the "guys whinging about inspections" in this thread?
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of ", after reading some of the posts here, it appears that there are a few who do believe that they have something to hide, or maybe they're just ashamed at being law abiding in this upside down country.

I would hope, and trust that nobody on this forum has anything to hide, and I doubt any firearm owner feels any shame for abiding the stupid laws we're stuck with.

I also didn't notice anybody whinging about inspections, I must've missed that completely.

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that I was not whinging, and using the 'victim card', about inspections. I put that question to JSS, as I also have not seen any whinging about inspections.
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of " comment, that was a tongue in cheek dig at those who comment about how careful they are in not letting their neighbors see them loading their guns into their cars, or not having shooting related stickers on their vehicles. Along the lines of "Oh, I have nothing to hide, and I make damn sure that no one sees that I have nothing to hide".
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Sep 2019, 11:17 am

trekin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks that I was not whinging, and using the 'victim card', about inspections. I put that question to JSS, as I also have not seen any whinging about inspections.
As for the "if we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of " comment, that was a tongue in cheek dig at those who comment about how careful they are in not letting their neighbors see them loading their guns into their cars, or not having shooting related stickers on their vehicles. Along the lines of "Oh, I have nothing to hide, and I make damn sure that no one sees that I have nothing to hide".

Well I’m a cautious person by nature, with a little OCD thrown in . I grew up in a blue Collar suburb, and still live in one. And threw my life experiences, am well aware of the petty criminal activity of opportunistic drug addicts and wanna be criminals who maybe have links to outlaw bike clubs . And firearms are a big black market item for quick cash . People talk , and ya don’t really know ya neighbors or who they might know. I’m far from ashamed for being a shooter/hunter, but being cautious in my situation is just plain common sense

JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Sep 2019, 2:20 pm

Better be safe than sorry
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Sep 2019, 4:22 pm

I understand Trekkins point, but i dont see anything wrong with being discreet when loading firearms into car around the house BigRich...i, & im sure many do the same mate :thumbsup:

There are far too many unscrupulous folk around these days that ive no doubt would happily target a house for not being home timetables...
And unfortunately, plenty of those types are attracted to "the more brazen the crime, the better" attitude...& those kunts dont need any encouragement...!!!

Not hiding the fact one is a proud lafo is distinctly different than having an extraverted egotistical arrogance when it comes to loading firearms into the car at home to advertise you're off for a few days to go shootin...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 08 Sep 2019, 6:04 pm

Stix wrote:I understand Trekkins point, but i dont see anything wrong with being discreet when loading firearms into car around the house BigRich...i, & im sure many do the same mate :thumbsup:

There are far too many unscrupulous folk around these days that ive no doubt would happily target a house for not being home timetables...
And unfortunately, plenty of those types are attracted to "the more brazen the crime, the better" attitude...& those kunts dont need any encouragement...!!!

Not hiding the fact one is a proud lafo is distinctly different than having an extraverted egotistical arrogance when it comes to loading firearms into the car at home to advertise you're off for a few days to go shootin...

:drinks:

exactly stix 'ole mate :thumbsup: i've found that attitudes to firearms can vary depending on where you live and travel to . a lot of the reigions i travel and hunt in on the NSW/QLD border have had the fires go through in the last day or so. i bin told the fire came in real close to Tenterfield town . spare a thought and a prayer for those affected fellas . :friends:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Firearms related media and politics