Guns Australia Magazine, is no more.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Guns Australia Magazine, is no more.

Post by Homer » 17 Oct 2019, 12:51 pm

G'Day Fella's,

A month or so back, I had heard this news and this was confirmed, in the latest, and Last edition (Oct - Dec 2019), of Guns Australia mag.
This is a sad situation, as the diverse information and technical details, contained in so many of the articles in this mags pages, were so informative.
I suppose this type of info, goes over the head of most Powder Burners and from this, circulation drops and then eventually, the end comes.

BUGGER!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Guns Australia Magazine, is no more.

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2019, 1:20 pm

I didn't know it still existed. I don't think I've bought any kind of magazine since about 2000, when I'd grab the occasional AMCN if something caught my eye, before that I bought quite a lot of computer mags in the early nineties. In the early eighties I subscribed to several shooting mags, and motorcycle mags into the late eighties. The Internet made mags redundant decades ago, and I'm a huge reader and collector of books. I get the SSAA mags but I doubt I've even unwrapped more than a couple, and haven't browsed through any of them.

I certainly like technical articles, but invariably anything turning up in a magazine surely existed online long before, and do I really want fifty pages of crap to get a nice two-page article from a mag?.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 17 Oct 2019, 2:00 pm

lots of these publications need to move all their content onto cleverly made apps and websites
would be far better and cost them a lot less, they could maintain higher revenue with less overheads
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Oct 2019, 3:49 pm

This is, as others noted, a consequence of the digital age where online publication is cheaper and actually gets wider reach. Guns Australia was a great mag, I still have dozens of copies and will keep them, but an online subscription to a digital issue is the future. Even the Brittannica has published it's last Yearbook, (Probably just as well, the bookcase I keep them in has reached maximum and now I don't have to buy a new one!) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2019, 4:02 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:This is, as others noted, a consequence of the digital age where online publication is cheaper and actually gets wider reach. Guns Australia was a great mag, I still have dozens of copies and will keep them, but an online subscription to a digital issue is the future. Even the Brittannica has published it's last Yearbook, (Probably just as well, the bookcase I keep them in has reached maximum and now I don't have to buy a new one!) Cheers.

Britannica is rubbish and social engineering, Have they heard about the battle for Stalingrad yet?
I bought the set in '94 and I don't think I ever found what I was researching in it. It was good to grab a volume and just randomly read, but useless for research.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Oct 2019, 7:33 pm

Guns & Game finished about a year ago too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Oct 2019, 5:14 am

Very sad that guns Australia is no more. I liked the tech and historical content. There needs to be a online replacement for sure. The thing about online information in this modern world is it can easily be monitored, altered , and censored. It’s a bad look for a government confiscating print media, but it can be done so easily on the internet. I’m not saying guns Australia has been deliberately axed,( just not as many old farts that buy books anymore) I’m just commenting on the times we live in and where things are headed. Anyone see a movie called “Brazil “ ? It was set in a beurocratic Stalinist society where the control of information and public knowledge was key for control of society
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by xDom » 18 Oct 2019, 5:41 am

GQshayne wrote:Guns & Game finished about a year ago too.

I’d say magazines from other interest activities are disappearing just as quickly as well. Along with newsagents about the place.
I remember being a kid back in the 80,s, used to love going to the newsagents to check out all the mags of whatever I was into at the time.
Newsagents are going the same way as the corner deli.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 18 Oct 2019, 8:02 am

GQShane, thanks for letting me kinow about this.
I knew they went Digital a few yerars ago but didn't realise they had folded ........ BUGGER!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by GQshayne » 18 Oct 2019, 5:51 pm

Homer wrote:

GQShane, thanks for letting me kinow about this.
I knew they went Digital a few yerars ago but didn't realise they had folded ........ BUGGER!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I didn't know they had a digital version, so I just googled it now and found info on it from 2016. Looks like it has not been updated for a very long time.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Madang185 » 19 Oct 2019, 12:04 pm

It is suggested that the internet is /has taken over from the traditional magazies. When it comes to reloading there is no control. At least any suggested powder load in a "traditional;" magazine has passed under the eagle eye of an editor. The author has witnessed some dangerous stuff printed on the internet.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm

Madang185 wrote:It is suggested that the internet is /has taken over from the traditional magazies. When it comes to reloading there is no control. At least any suggested powder load in a "traditional;" magazine has passed under the eagle eye of an editor. The author has witnessed some dangerous stuff printed on the internet.

With the clear advantage of being able to quickly rectify errors, unlike a magazine that keeps its errors forever.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 24 Oct 2019, 10:47 am

Its a shame to see Guns Aust (on elf the Yaffa Stable of magazines) is no more but with Sporting Shooter being a monthly magazine i suppose its taken up the slack from GA not being printed - even though GA was quarterly.
Guns and Game - an excellent magazine that i used to religiously buy and the Technical Features by Andy M. were very informative . Its a shame that Breil and Bernadette stopped that magazine but it was a great one for the time it lasted.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Oct 2019, 3:44 pm

Now that was a good magazine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Firearms related media and politics