Leunig cartoon - all the usual suspects

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Leunig cartoon - all the usual suspects

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Oct 2019, 11:13 pm

Did anyone else enjoy the howls of outrage from the recent Leunig cartoon?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-24/ ... e/11634522

I know I did. I always get a laugh out of young Ms Ford especially. Apparently no one in life has suffered more than she has. Just to give her a heads up, my mum and dad raised five kids with all of them seven and under at one point. Mum worked full time too. This was back in the sixties. I was a stay at home dad with my oldest daughter back in the nineties. So here’s a thought: plenty of us have raised kids and spent many long hours with them. How about you just enjoy what is going to be, in hindsight, very short stage of your life. Oh yes, stop whining and HTFU.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Leunig cartoon - all the usual suspects

Post by flutch » 25 Oct 2019, 11:26 pm

yeah the havasad's will be out in force over that.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Oct 2019, 11:36 pm

flutch wrote:yeah the havasad's will be out in force over that.

It’s like they have made being offended and miserable their life’s mission. Crazy ideas like forbearance, resilience, tenacity, good humour are not to be countenanced. Nice one. If they think have a toddler is hard work, just wait until they experience the joy of parenting adolescents.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Oct 2019, 6:22 am

I reckon he’s spot on with the cartoon as far as some parents are concerned. As for that Clementine Ford, swearing and carrying on , very ladylike, so very mature and adult. I’ve almost been run down at shopping centres and had many close calls in my car from people on their phones, and nearly every time it was a woman driver, sometimes with kids in the car . Never mind the truth, let’s just label any man who raises this point a sexist. It’s the same mentality that accuses people of racism. Never mind the facts.......JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Oct 2019, 7:14 am

Ms.Clementine Ford has her own particular brand of schtick and 'our' ABC trots her out when needed.
One thing that continues to mystify me is by what form of duplicitous deception she managed to have herself impregnated.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 26 Oct 2019, 7:50 am

straightshooter wrote:Ms.Clementine Ford has her own particular brand of schtick and 'our' ABC trots her out when needed.
One thing that continues to mystify me is by what form of duplicitous deception she managed to have herself impregnated.

Sometimes it's not only farmers experiencing a drought!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2019, 8:22 am

I dont mean to detract from the feel of the thread...
But there was a horrible & trajic story over here a few years back... (quite a few years ago now)....an example of this cartoon that ended in extreme heartache, where as in this cartoon, a young mothers attention was drawn from her child with the use of a mobile.

I dont know the exact details...but if my memory serve me right, it was something along these lines...

A young mother was walking her child in s pram along the bank of the river Torrens in Adelaide...

She stopped to take or make a call & turned away from the pram, or walked in circles while talking....

At some point she noticed the pram was missing...

Naturally panic ensued thinking someone had taken the pram & kidnapped the child...
Police were involved immediately and a frantic city wide search followed, with media calls pleading for witnesses to the apparent horrid crime.

The child was found...tragically it was still strappen in the pram, but the pram had rolled into the river...

I couldnt even begin to imagine how the people involved coped with such a tragedy.

These young mothers should understand how much of a distraction a phone/mobile technology can be...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Oct 2019, 8:57 am

You make an excellent point Stix. As anyone who has cared for children can attest, bad things can happen very quickly if you aren’t attentive. This incident you describe is just dreadful. I have no doubt that lady feels awful about what happened. Saying that, Leunig’s cartoon is satirical and we have all observed parents focussed more on their electronic devices than their children. In this case with tragic consequences.

My view is I Just love how people like young Clemmie respond like Pavlov’s dogs to something like this cartoon. Apparently it is only reasonable to critique the conduct of blokes on the ABC. There is always some excuse trotted out to justify the sub optimal behaviour of “the sisters”.

She has, I believe, one child and from her comments appears to be in a living hell. I suspect she is gilding the Lilly somewhat. Either that or she is admitting to be one of Australia’s least resilient parents.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 26 Oct 2019, 11:25 am

I remember the incident Stix has mentioned. I wonder how many pedestrian fatalities have been caused by phone distraction/obsession.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 26 Oct 2019, 1:18 pm

Type it in in youtube " accidents while on cell phones " if you watched half of them would take a year these are just the ones people saw .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Oct 2019, 1:52 pm

Wombat wrote:I remember the incident Stix has mentioned. I wonder how many pedestrian fatalities have been caused by phone distraction/obsession.

I’d say more the the authorities would like to say. Single vehicle accident and fatalities are up too . Easy to work out why . I worked in a foundry , was driving a big Komatsu fork one day , 19.5 ton with no load on , 4m tynes, big unit . A electrician walked straight out of a alleyway one day ,didn’t even look up from his phone. A fair bit of your vision is blocked by the mast and rams on one of those machines ,I pulled up in time. he’s a lucky boy , sh!t himself when he realised what he’d done
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2019, 2:01 pm

this brings up the type of standards people have these days, it makes me sick TBH
my wife and l were over at our local refurbished park,
the council had installed a flying fox and everyone in the area including our kids wanted to have a go
there was a woman walking around on her phone while some older boys were pushing her little girl as fast as they could,
my wife had only just said to me how this would not end up good and the flying fox hit the stopper at the other end sending the little girl upside down and way up in the air falling straight on to her head, while my wife called an ambulance l talked to the little girl keeping her still until her mother realised it was her little girl on the ground and came over in hysterics, the ambulance came just after l heard her tell the little girl, probably about 4 years old that the incident was her fault and if anyone asked that's what she wanted her little girl to say, my wife had a talk to the ambo's explaining exactly what she saw and the next day she rang the council to ask that they put up signs to say how the equipment was meant to be used, the council worker would not listen and after some months now there are still no warning signs and the practice of pushing kids on the flying fox is still happening
what l told my wife is that it is really hard to take stupid out of stupid bast@rd :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Oct 2019, 5:07 pm

ABC radio interviewed Michael Leunigs "equally famous" sister, an "Artist" from Bendigo.
Never heard of her before and cannot recall her given name now, I must really update my list of famous folk LOL.
Her spiel began with a typical politically approved shrew attack on her brother, new ute has car audio controls on steering wheel, most handy to avoid the bleatings of Clementine the Cow and her fellow travelers.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

So all the new mums and a lot of mums that should know better, pushing prams in shopping centers while texting etc and not looking where they are going, kids locked in cars at car-parks and kids at the beach being ignored while mum's on the phone texting or talking, not being watched or supervised is incorrect? :shock:
Mum is actually on the phone in conference and supporting other mums and not ignoring the kids? What a load of rubbish! That's what the CWA nurse is for. 8-)
I think from what I've seen there is a lot of truth in that cartoon, Kids want to be loved as much as a phone. 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mikejay » 28 Oct 2019, 5:06 pm

It's hard to watch so you've been warned. Real life example of the cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6US5fWrDnw8
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics