Man suffers facial injuries at Eagle Park Range Little River

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Man suffers facial injuries at Eagle Park Range Little River

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Mar 2014, 8:51 pm

I found this on another forum.

A man has suffered facial injuries after his rifle malfunctioned at a rifle range on Saturday.

The man, in his 30s, was at the Eagle Park rifle range in Gifkins Road, Little River, and handling his rifle when the firing mechanism malfunctioned. The rifle's bolt then flew into the man's face causing facial injuries, an Ambulance Victoria spokesman has said.

The man was taken to Geelong Hospital with facial injuries in a stable condition.

Source.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Man suffers facial injuries at Eagle Park Range Little R

Post by swedeadmirer » 02 Mar 2014, 7:13 am

Can anyone add any details that was there?
- remembering this is a public forum
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 02 Mar 2014, 7:20 am

At least it was only the bolt and not the entire rifle which went bang.

A speedy recovery to him.

P.S. Like swede said, PG content only if anyone one has additional information or pictures.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by paps » 02 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

Reading between the lines here a bit, but it sounds like he's hopefully ok.

We know how the media love to report gory details on this kind of stuff.

That they only said the bolt hit him in the face and didn't list any specific injuries hopefully means he was ok.

Fingers crossed for him anyway.
.257 Roberts Ruger Hawkeye
Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14-42mm
paps
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by swedeadmirer » 02 Mar 2014, 9:34 am

Most rifles I can think of wouldnt eject a bolt unless a lug broke & that wouldnt happen unless it was seriously over stressed due to some operator error - I think stupid people shouldnt own a gun
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Mar 2014, 11:07 am

swedeadmirer wrote:Most rifles I can think of wouldnt eject a bolt unless a lug broke & that wouldnt happen unless it was seriously over stressed due to some operator error - I think stupid people shouldnt own a gun

There are some rifles (omark) than have been known to suffer this kind of failure where the the rear locking bolt fails. Pining the bolt is a modification (others may be able to explain the actual mod)

A hang fire form milsurp ammo is another reason this may occur but only if the bolt handle is lifted immediately after the initial trigger pull

I do hope the shooter is ok but I don't think its fair to blame the shooter without knowing all the facts.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by swedeadmirer » 02 Mar 2014, 11:51 am

I hope he is well too!
.....But I have done RO duties there before and at the moment the only thing stopping some accidents is a concientous / nosey RO or good luck - which is wrong. Onus is currently on the shooter to be competent but this not always the case. In the UK at Bisley shooters are tested on the range before being certified ... this may offend blokes that have been shooting for years.
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by swedeadmirer » 02 Mar 2014, 11:55 am

ps Chrono
We are taught to wait 30 seconds after a hang fire before opening the action so opening it prematurely is a little stupid dont you think?
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 02 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

Chronos wrote:
There are some rifles (omark) than have been known to suffer this kind of failure where the the rear locking bolt fails. Pining the bolt is a modification (others may be able to explain the actual mod)

It is not the rear locking bolt, Omarks are a front locker, the bolt head is pinned to the bolt. The early bolts had a small diameter bolt head retaining pin and there was always the possibility that the pin would break and the now floating bolt head would set back far enough in the bolt to leave the firing pin protruding enough to strike the primer before the lugs had had a chance to rotate and lock the head in position. This would be disasterous.

Once this was recognised all newer models had a larger diameter pin from factory and all older bolts should have been modified to take the newer bigger pin. There are the odd few bolts with the small diameter pin about still, I spotted one during an action cycling test three years ago and asked them to leave the mound, it wasn't well received but it was neccesary as it was subject to an NRAA directive.

I have both sorts still (the old style bolt is a spare I picked up) and will take some photos later for general information..
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 02 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

swedeadmirer wrote:ps Chrono
We are taught to wait 30 seconds after a hang fire before opening the action so opening it prematurely is a little stupid dont you think?

i understand that and took it for granted that what you and i would do is what most shooters do also.

i used to shoot with a guy who owned all manner of military rifles from france, italy, russia and was well stocked with 50-60 year old ammo as well as some newer stuff from greece and pakistan. it was common for him to experience the CLICK.....BANG and was no end of amusement for us on the firing line when he pulled the trigger, waited, lifted his head and BANG

i shudder to think this poor bloke may have bought a cheap Omark to start his target shooting career without being aware of something which the previous owner had kept quiet about to get a sale

here's a quote from another forum on Omark rifles "Make sure the retaining pins are good and thick in the walls, and that there are no signs of stress or fatigue. It is important that you do this, as upon firing , if the retaining pin is to give way, the bolt body will fly out the rear"
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 02 Mar 2014, 8:07 pm

paps wrote:Reading between the lines here a bit, but it sounds like he's hopefully ok.

We know how the media love to report gory details on this kind of stuff.

That they only said the bolt hit him in the face and didn't list any specific injuries hopefully means he was ok.

I've heard some feedback from people who where there on the day and apparently it was a bit more than that unfortunately for the shooter.

Lots of blood due to a cut from the impact, and apparently a tooth or two missing.

:(
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mahna » 03 Mar 2014, 8:37 am

Any word on what caused this in the end?

Locking bolt failure like you guys have mentioned? Hot cartridge?
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by loaded » 06 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm

The rifle was a straight pull and suspected overloaded round.

The bolt left the gun and did a lot of damage, right handed gun, left handed shooter. Hopefully the doctors have saved his eye.

On another post I warned if anyone is using purchased reloads for a 338 to check their supplier.
loaded
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Norton » 06 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

I bet the guys who sold him the ammo are working hard to put a clamp on that info...
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by swedeadmirer » 08 Mar 2014, 8:37 pm

Anyone had any issues with "straight pull" rifles in 338 lap?

Do a Google search and pick a pattern?
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 09 Mar 2014, 3:10 pm

swedeadmirer wrote:Anyone had any issues with "straight pull" rifles in 338 lap?

Huh?

This guys was straight pull and the bolt cracked him in the face? I think that's an "issue"?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 09 Mar 2014, 3:36 pm

Warrigul wrote:It is not the rear locking bolt, Omarks are a front locker, the bolt head is pinned to the bolt. The early bolts had a small diameter bolt head retaining pin and there was always the possibility that the pin would break and the now floating bolt head would set back far enough in the bolt to leave the firing pin protruding enough to strike the primer before the lugs had had a chance to rotate and lock the head in position. This would be disasterous.

Once this was recognised all newer models had a larger diameter pin from factory and all older bolts should have been modified to take the newer bigger pin. There are the odd few bolts with the small diameter pin about still, I spotted one during an action cycling test three years ago and asked them to leave the mound, it wasn't well received but it was neccesary as it was subject to an NRAA directive.

I have both sorts still (the old style bolt is a spare I picked up) and will take some photos later for general information..

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to get out. Of course I was incorrect in saying the omark bolt is a rear locker as it locks into the barrel on original barreled rifles.

I'm glad to hear my first thoughts of this accident perhaps being an omark were incorrect but its sad to hear this might be the result of an overloaded round, indeed a reload purchased by this shooter.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 09 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

I knew there was a reason I didnt like those straight pull rifles , hard to get off a quick second shot while your chewing on your bolt .

No warranty either as it was a handload ?
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pajamatime » 09 Mar 2014, 7:06 pm

this sorta shirt gives people nightmares, Hope the poor bugga is ok.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by FourFingersof Death » 09 Mar 2014, 11:13 pm

The Omarks need to have the bigger cross pin installed and also need to have a key fitted to the the bolt head. There is a chance that if broken, the bolt can be closed by the shooter and the lugs don't turn. On firing, the bolt can fly back out as there would be nothing holding it. Mine has the bigger pin and a key installed.

Not saying it was an Omark that failed for the guy,but there were posts about Omarks.
FourFingersof Death
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 10 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

pajamatime wrote:this sorta shirt gives people nightmares, Hope the poor bugga is ok.

I was there yesterday and someone had a photo of the damage on their phone. He'll have permanent facial scaring and probably a broken jaw and cheekbone.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Techc » 10 Mar 2014, 8:50 am

Bad news for the guy :(

At least its only a scar I suppose. Still not great, but better than losing your teeth or god forbid an eye.
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by swedeadmirer » 10 Mar 2014, 8:54 am

chacka .... From other parts of the internet other people have reported similar problems....I was just asking if there have been other reports in Aus?
I guess eventually there will be a public report on what rifle it was / The problem if any with the ammo etc.............so people can feel safer....but I doubt it.

I was told the preceding shots were louder than normal & the primers were bulging out after firing so please watch out for signs of overpressure!
swedeadmirer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 10 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

Ah ok, I'm with you.

swedeadmirer wrote:I was told the preceding shots were louder than normal & the primers were bulging out after firing so please watch out for signs of overpressure!

Hmm, dunno what to say to that.If something's not right and you just keep firing... Dunno what else you'd expect the outcome to be...
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Firearms related media and politics