Deer hunter accidently shot

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Deer hunter accidently shot

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Sad to hear about this. Condolences to the family.

Safety must always be priority 1

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-o ... 4963745ec5
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Deer hunter accidently shot

Post by Ricochet » 03 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm

Very sad to hear of this. My condolences to friends and family.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 03 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

This truly is a very sad event.
However, it is something that has happened before, and will happen again.
NOT because it was "an accident", but because the shooter has FAILED TO IDENTIFY THE TARGET.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm

No1_49er wrote:This truly is a very sad event.
However, it is something that has happened before, and will happen again.
NOT because it was "an accident", but because the shooter has FAILED TO IDENTIFY THE TARGET.

How do you know this No1...?

Maybe im missing something in the link...?...but i see nothing other than an accidental shooting & maybe a medical episode is part cause... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2020, 3:27 pm

G'day Stix,
How can you pull the trigger on something until you not only have positively identified it, but have also considered the background and position of other hunters? I do not accept that an accidental discharge has ever occurred, only deliberate or avoidable. In every instance, after the media blather has died down it is evident a safety procedure has been overlooked. Very sad for the friends and family, but avoidable, Cheers.

OK, I have to allow the most extenuating circumstances could occur, I just recalled an incident from the deep past where a friend shot his brother, a flat shot hit a rock in the grass, flew over the dam wall sideways and hit his out of sight brother in the head. So until a more accurate media release I have to reserve my opinion, which is all it is, but I will lay odds it was avoidable as 99.99% are, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2020, 4:51 pm

Yes (other) No1...(or is the other No1, the other No1...?.. :) .).
extenuating circumstances should be allowed for...

Im not questioning common sense, good ethics & a sound safety mindset & regime that is able to retain cognitive function while enduring buck fever...

Not only have i been led directly into the field of fire by what/whom is commonly sprooked, widely accepted as, & self confessed as being "professional, life experienced (& even military trained) hunters" who are all too easily distracted by their own sense of greatness, but ive also had their 75gr hps & 87Vmx's buzzing around my ears & ripping through the trees around me while im making a helpless 'mad woman' escape down a hillside that would almost rival a good deal of infantry footage ever captured...

So while im unsure of the tone in your reply, if its one of assuming im a little "loose" in this arena, you're preaching to one who learned all the above before he hit adolescence...& who's had it confirmed by these very idiots i speak of whom are all around us...!!

Rather, Im questioning whether ive missed more specific & detailed information about what happened here...

And with the lack of this detail, i wonder how you can make such a conclusion.. :unknown: ...i mean who's to say the poor fellow who died wasnt the complete idiot who wandered straight into the line of fire despite all common sense & prior arrangement, all from being a beginner but know-all Rambo using the hunt to exercise his ego... :unknown:

We, or at least i, dont know this info, & so was just asking... :)

Any "accidental shooting", is a tragedy...for everyone involved--even the shooter...and i think given the mental trauma the shooter would endure, its worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until atleast some details are known...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Feb 2020, 4:54 pm

Mayb e he was cleaning a loaded rifle. Lots of possibilities
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 03 Feb 2020, 5:54 pm

Stix wrote:Yes (other) No1...(or is the other No1, the other No1...?.. :) .).
extenuating circumstances should be allowed for...

Im not questioning common sense, good ethics & a sound safety mindset & regime that is able to retain cognitive function while enduring buck fever...

..i mean who's to say the poor fellow who died wasnt the complete idiot who wandered straight into the line of fire despite all common sense & prior arrangement, all from being a beginner but know-all Rambo using the hunt to exercise his ego... :unknown:

We, or at least i, dont know this info, & so was just asking... :)

Any "accidental shooting", is a tragedy...for everyone involved--even the shooter...and i think given the mental trauma the shooter would endure, its worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until atleast some details are known...
:drinks:

Sorry stix, but I can't let a possibility the deceased "wasn't the complete idiot who wandered straight into the line of fire ----" pass without saying this.
If a complete idiot did walk into the line of fire, then has the shooter Positively Identified his target?
Buck fever has NO place in ethical hunting.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2020, 7:59 pm

No1_49er wrote:Sorry stix, but I can't let a possibility the deceased "wasn't the complete idiot who wandered straight into the line of fire ----" pass without saying this.
If a complete idiot did walk into the line of fire, then has the shooter Positively Identified his target?
Buck fever has NO place in ethical hunting.

No need to apologise for having a discussion No1... :) ..you've not offended me...(not that i think you'd care if you did...)

I too feel your necessity to comment, which is why i did, not to mention again, just ask if you'd heard further info... :unknown:

But now i hesitantly say (for fear of sounding argumentative--which isnt my intention), If the shooter hasnt seen the 'shoot'ee' & unaware of his presence...then yes, its highly possible he has identified his target...

But in any case, im not going to argue hypotheticals with you...All im willing to assume is that neither of us were there, & that given someone has been shot on a deer hunt,that we are not talking about a drunken bunch of fukwits in an open stubble field on the back of ute...but even that could be a bad assumption...

And for what its worth, I wasnt trying to be smart, i was simply asking if there was any further reports on the matter as it was posted some time ago, & thought with your post coming just today, that you may have heard more...

If you deem the shooter is at fault without knowing anything about what transpired...then all power too ya...!!...

My thoughts also go to the shooter as well as everyone involved...i can only imagine that for the bulk of us, the more negligent the act, the more traumatic it would be living with it--no matter who you are related to...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 03 Feb 2020, 9:10 pm

I'd be keen to learn what happened. I know that area and the farms leading to the conservation area where sambar pass through. That street and farm are an ideal ambush spot so I'm not sure why they were separated.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 04 Feb 2020, 12:54 pm

Whatever the circumstances surrounding this tragedy.....all of have to be vigilant and take the upmost care when undertaking any form of shooting.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Feb 2020, 2:45 pm

There are many ways this outcome could of happened, hard to say until more info is provided really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 3:40 pm

The lack of info on this incident reminds me of the effort I went to in order to satisfy my curiosity in relation to the fatal accident a few yrs back at movie world , stunt man / blanks/ shotgun Was it shotgun wadding at high speed close range that made the fatal chest injuries?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 10 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm

Well I spoke to somebody last month who confirmed the guy topped himself on his mates place. So that clears that up.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Jul 2020, 10:02 am

mchughcb wrote:Well I spoke to somebody last month who confirmed the guy topped himself on his mates place. So that clears that up.

its a good thing that has come to light to stop assumptions
its not a good thing to have happened
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics