Media and politics forum rules and appropriate content

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Media and politics forum rules and appropriate content

Post by Aster » 06 Feb 2020, 8:14 am

It has occurred to me recently that the 'Media and politics' sub-forum here has become something that it was not intended to be.

Consider this a reminder, re-alignment, and the laying down of some new rules regarding media and politically-related topics.

Originally, this forum was intended to be for sport shooting and hunting related news, and information on political climates, changes and proposals directly related to shooting and firearms. Nothing more.

For a while now, particular in recent months, contentious and divisive subjects completely unrelated to hunting or shooting have become more dominant and it's clear these are now causing more harm than they are promoting productive, informative or enjoyable conversation.

As such, this forum will now be limited to topics on news and politics specifically related to shooting and hunting, as it was originally intended to be. Topics that fall outside of this will be locked, or more likely immediately deleted, as being in breach of these rules, at the moderators discretion.

Complicated subjects like foreign politics, social inequalities, human rights, religion, climate change, racism etc. which warrant in-depth conversation should be conducted elsewhere, in a forum dedicated to these subjects. Ultimately, these kinds of subjects are irrelevant to the purpose of this website, and not what people are looking for when they visit this site. Go elsewhere if these are topics you are wanting to discuss in-depth.

This forum is about shooting and hunting, and while some off-topic conversation is expected, this is intended to be light conversation and chit-chat. It should go without saying that to simply start the same above mentioned topics in the 'off-topic' section is not a workaround, any such topics will be immediately deleted.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Re: Media and politics forum rules and appropriate content

Post by bigrich » 06 Feb 2020, 8:50 am

Fair enough Aster , the certian topics , while being light hearted for most members, can and have degenerated into slanging matches and arguments which probably don’t have any real relevance to this forum. I must admit, I have enjoyed some of the verbal jousting, but then again, mischievous kids shouldn’t play with matches either :lol:

Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 06 Feb 2020, 9:14 am

Well said, I don’t mind a bit of crap here and there, it’s all part of the fun.
I don’t bother to much with some other forums to much as it takes to long to filter through all the non shooting posts . There is some good content around, but it just takes to long to find it. I want to read about shooting and hunting , not pages of content that can be found on Faceache.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2020, 9:20 am

The "slanging matches" have resulted in a few members going elswhere.

Thanks Aster. A good example of clear thinking and common sense. Well done.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2020, 9:37 am

Aster good call :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 06 Feb 2020, 10:41 am

Maybe banning those who just have to carry over their go no where arguement in other threads in an attempt to stir up more s**t (called trolling I think).
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aster » 06 Feb 2020, 10:48 am

9.3x64 wrote:I don’t bother to much with some other forums to much as it takes to long to filter through all the non shooting posts . There is some good content around, but it just takes to long to find it. I want to read about shooting and hunting , not pages of content that can be found on Faceache.

Yep, that's the thinking implemented here.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 06 Feb 2020, 10:50 am

trekin wrote:Maybe banning those who just have to carry over their go no where arguement in other threads in an attempt to stir up more s**t (called trolling I think).

A number of warnings were issued following some recent topic, 3 strikes and you're permanently banned is still the system.

That aside, we are still moving forward with the above.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 06 Feb 2020, 10:52 am

I'm going to lock this now. I actually meant to do so after posting as this was a notification rather than a discussion, but I'm glad the initial impression is positive.
Aster

-

Return to Firearms related media and politics