NSW Police Minister. Prohibited weapons.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

NSW Police Minister. Prohibited weapons.

Post by Kel » 09 Mar 2020, 8:36 pm

From the Australian ...

NSW Police Minister David Elliott is facing the prospect of criminal charges after photographs surfaced of him allegedly shooting two prohibited weapons at a shooting range without an appropriate licence.

So,

Considering how seriously the police treat a single .22 bullet found insecure at a firearms owners property, I imagine an unlicensed shooter firing prohibited weapons will receive a hefty punishment under the law.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... b5bc45089a
Attachments
20200309_212930.jpg
20200309_212930.jpg (393.79 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: NSW Police Minister. Prohibited weapons.

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2020, 8:55 pm

Kel,
Are you able to copy and paste the story. You need to subscribe to read it.

In the mean time back at the ranch......or is that lock up....

Hang em high.jpg
Hang em high.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 5927 times

:lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 09 Mar 2020, 8:58 pm

Surely it’s ok if you’re under supervision from someone qualified?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2020, 9:02 pm

At a shooting range under supervision - I don't see any problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 09 Mar 2020, 9:04 pm

I don't get it. You just sign that form if you are unlicensed at a range and the range officer or a licenced shooter supervisors you. Or is that a QLD thing?

A form 31 or 33 whatever it is called.
Last edited by StraightWhiteMale on 09 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:At a shooting range under supervision - I don't see any problem.

Yep, normally but.....I think the issue is

allegedly shooting two prohibited weapons at a

Hang the bugger anyway. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 09 Mar 2020, 9:10 pm

The photo shows him shooting a heck and koch submachine gun next to a cop.

No doubt an exemption letter has already been signed and back dated. :D

I think this is a non issue really. Prince Harry is not in the Australian army and he was shooting rifles and machine guns with the army and he does not have authorisation technically but they can make exceptions for anyone. I mean the Queen is head of state so she is probably strapped, thats what is inside that little bag she carries around always. :D

As police minister surely this is part of the job to test the hardware and see where the money is going. The photo is at a range with a cop next to him and not in his backyard so I really think this is a non issue as it is in an offical capacity.

Surely in his role he is exempted for things like this.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 Mar 2020, 9:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:At a shooting range under supervision - I don't see any problem.

Me neither. You would have to think that it’s a weapon used by the special tactics police or whatever they’re called down there. No different to the defence minister firing a Steyr.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 09 Mar 2020, 10:00 pm

Did you lads see this video of an American congessmen? Imagine if this was in Canberra. People would wig out hard.

https://www.twitter.com/RepKenBuck/stat ... 6910660609
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2020, 10:07 pm

Huh, does this mean we need cancel the hanging.

Ive already pulled on the lever. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 09 Mar 2020, 10:10 pm

The point is its a prohibited weapon and even if he did sign a P650 form to shoot undersupervisin it does not cover a "prohibited " firearm just covers class A or class b
or H.
Prohibited look up the meaning then look up hypocrisy
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2020, 11:26 pm

pomemax wrote:The point is its a prohibited weapon and even if he did sign a P650 form to shoot undersupervisin it does not cover a "prohibited " firearm just covers class A or class b
or H.
Prohibited look up the meaning then look up hypocrisy

In Perth when Karrakatta had their open days you could queue up to shoot some blanks in the F88, didn't even have to sign anything.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Mar 2020, 5:04 am

I noticed in a one of the news articles covering this issue that the Greens have weighed in. As usual it wouldn’t be an issue unless there was political points scoring at stake.
To be honest I can’t see a problem with what he has done.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 10 Mar 2020, 6:17 am

I suspect a signed P650 will materialise at some point in time.
Meanwhile the independent media (?) has it's distraction from something else that may be quietly going on.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 10 Mar 2020, 11:33 am

this is the same scumbag who said before the elections that shooters had no rights-including the rights the rest of the population has-hopefully he gets prosecuted-maybe he can prosecute himself-after all he has already tried pretending that he's a cop!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Mar 2020, 3:20 pm

PaddyT wrote:this is the same scumbag who said before the elections that shooters had no rights-including the rights the rest of the population has-hopefully he gets prosecuted-maybe he can prosecute himself-after all he has already tried pretending that he's a cop!

Exactly, Couldn't understand why shooters had rights!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 10 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm

I think coppers are exempt from having to hold a license when using firearms at work, just like the military.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 10 Mar 2020, 7:24 pm

No-one's asked the burning question ....... why the f$%k is he holding the magazine and not the foregrip? If he's under instruction, it's pretty piss poor.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 10 Mar 2020, 9:58 pm

Patriot wrote:I think coppers are exempt from having to hold a license when using firearms at work, just like the military.

That may be true but the Minister is NOT a copper. He has to comply like the rest of us. As a civilian, he is using a PROHIBITED firearm
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Mar 2020, 12:51 am

Yes, but he’s first and foremost a politician- and we are too weak to really do anything about our pollies - ifbit weren’t for media / other factions, our puppet masters could run rampant - this guy will already have his ducks in a row - regardless of legality...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by K2bonsai » 11 Mar 2020, 3:40 pm

Patriot wrote:I think coppers are exempt from having to hold a license when using firearms at work, just like the military.

You would correct.
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by MJW380 » 11 Mar 2020, 9:39 pm

The uniformed coppa looks like he’s laughing, maybe that’s why?
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 11 Mar 2020, 10:09 pm

MJW380 wrote:The uniformed coppa looks like he’s laughing, maybe that’s why?

Or maybe the cop is a one nation voter and is thinking smile for the camera you mother fu****
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 11 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm

SSAA Sydney
·
To all those defending David Elliot MP for his apparent illegal use of firearms, take a step back and consider what this actually means.

Mr Elliot is responsible for overseeing and presiding over legislation and regulation like appearance laws, gel blaster and replica firearms laws as well as all the other overbearing regulation that licensed, law abiding firearms owners HAVE to follow and comply with.

Just because he is now the Police Minister, doesn't mean he is immune from following the law or prosecution, in fact, it could be argued that he should know better, and we all know that ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law.

If Mr Elliot is found to have broken the law, then he should be charged! This will only highlight further, the ridiculous of our overbearing firearms laws in NSW. Don't let this be swept under the carpet, we need to ensure that Mr Elliot is accountable for his actions and is treated exactly the same as you or I would be in this circumstance. There should be NO special treatment and NO double standard!

On the flip side, this could well be a great platform to lobby for some commonsense changes to our overbearing laws and regulations. Perhaps the next Police Minister may like to schedule a meeting with us so that we can recommend some changes to our firearms laws for consideration.

James Walsh
President
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 14 Mar 2020, 12:21 am

SSAA Sydney really seems to be taking a no-quarter approach to this stuff huh? As someone who got into the sport right in the heels of 1996 (didn't come from a hunting family, but turned 18 in '97), I gotta say it's refreshing to see. While I've only known a world where civilian firearms ownership has been hanging by a thread in this country, it's been really apparent that firearms legislation ebbs and flows in a lot of places, but never seems to here. Ie; registration being mooted and defeated in both Canada and NZ, the Clinton Assault Weapons ban (USA) being implemented in the 90's then repealed because it couldn't justify its existence, meanwhile it's all been downhill for us with the peak body (National SSAA) taking on a policy of incremental "wins" while trying to fly under the radar. Good on em I say. 25 years of cajoling has seen duck hunting banned, category lines blurred, appearance bans implemented year on year etc etc etc, and realistically all we got was state forest hunting 15 years ago, in exchange for the power grid being sold off. About time we saw a different approach.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 14 Mar 2020, 5:38 am

GojiraSteve wrote:SSAA Sydney really seems to be taking a no-quarter approach to this stuff huh? As someone who got into the sport right in the heels of 1996 (didn't come from a hunting family, but turned 18 in '97), I gotta say it's refreshing to see. While I've only known a world where civilian firearms ownership has been hanging by a thread in this country, it's been really apparent that firearms legislation ebbs and flows in a lot of places, but never seems to here. Ie; registration being mooted and defeated in both Canada and NZ, the Clinton Assault Weapons ban (USA) being implemented in the 90's then repealed because it couldn't justify its existence, meanwhile it's all been downhill for us with the peak body (National SSAA) taking on a policy of incremental "wins" while trying to fly under the radar. Good on em I say. 25 years of cajoling has seen duck hunting banned, category lines blurred, appearance bans implemented year on year etc etc etc, and realistically all we got was state forest hunting 15 years ago, in exchange for the power grid being sold off. About time we saw a different approach.

I'm fairly certain the assault weapons ban of 1994 had a 10 year limit on it. So the bill was not repealed in 2004 it expired.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2020, 6:46 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Mar 2020, 6:55 am

Oh s**t OB - this guys a deadset Cnut!

I didn’t know he was previously investigated for impersonating a cop -
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/pol ... 53ah9.html

Why would a corrections facility have their own range WITH full auto weapons anyway...surely, anything that required that amount of force would be reserved for top echelon police squads.?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 15 Mar 2020, 3:22 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Oh s**t OB - this guys a deadset Cnut!

I didn’t know he was previously investigated for impersonating a cop -
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/pol ... 53ah9.html

Why would a corrections facility have their own range WITH full auto weapons anyway...surely, anything that required that amount of force would be reserved for top echelon police squads.?

Rules for thee and not for me, rather typical in society. This is why the Americans have their gun rights and a big gun culture. As a final check and balance to protect the citizen against the government.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Mar 2020, 4:12 pm

Taking about America and Trump specifically very interesting how he had not told the truth about cronavirus to American public....

Telling people that the vaccine is almost ready
Or saying in jan 21, there wad only one case of virus in usa.

Esp now that hes come in contact twice with people who were infected with the virus.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics