Local gun shop closures with COVID shutdown

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Shutdown COVID - Local Gun Shops

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Mar 2020, 6:14 am

Ffs this is a thread about local gun shops.... there was a i am a dumb person and i wear tin foil cuz the lizard people will suck my brain thread that got closed.

As i said in that thread, do you really think Chinese are that dumb that they would let the virus escape, or is the virus like in the movies, puts sneakers on and runs away.

This is not the first type of cronavirus that is present in bats, and this is not the first virus that had jumped from animals to humans.

But this is the first virus, where it drops the IQ of normal people by 100 points. That's the real reason this virus is dangerous, it is making the population DUMB.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 24 Mar 2020, 7:37 am

Oldbloke wrote:Far more likely it jumped from amimals to human.
Has happened a few times.

Swine flu, bird flu, and I think the “Hendra “ virus we’ve had in Queensland went from bats to horses to humans didn’t it :unknown:

I think Mother Nature is trying to rid the planet of the overpopulation of humans that’s stuffing it up . As she’s always trying to do since the dinosaur’s ,disease keeps populations in check
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Mar 2020, 7:51 am

You could be right there BR, sometimes i feel that too.

I am sorry if i appear rude, i like to question stuff from every side.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2020, 9:40 am

Ziad wrote:
As i said in that thread, do you really think Chinese are that dumb that they would let the virus escape, or is the virus like in the movies, puts sneakers on and runs away.

But this is the first virus, where it drops the IQ of normal people by 100 points. That's the real reason this virus is dangerous, it is making the population DUMB.

The 2003 SARS virus outbreak was caused by that virus escaping from labs.

SARS outbreaks after the epidemic. The 2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome outbreak spread to 29 countries, causing more than 8,000 infections and at least 774 deaths. Because 21 percent of cases involved hospital workers, it had the potential to shut down health care services wherever it struck. It is particularly dangerous to handle in the laboratory because there is no vaccine, and it can be transmitted via aerosols.

SARS has not re-emerged naturally, but there have been six escapes from virology labs: one each in Singapore and Taiwan, and four separate escapes at the same laboratory in Beijing.

https://nationalpost.com/news/a-brief-terrifying-history-of-viruses-escaping-from-labs-70s-chinese-pandemic-was-a-lab-mistake

Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Mar 2020, 9:48 am

Sitting here eating popcorn with the stop watch you can almost hear the lock clicking I hope the local gun shop stay open for a bit i have some reloading i can do seeing as we cant go to any range
Attachments
20200322_142358.jpg
20200322_142358.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 4978 times
Last edited by pomemax on 24 Mar 2020, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2020, 10:01 am

marksman wrote:
that would be what you do hey ziad,
the conversation goes against what you are saying so shut it down by contacting blackened :roll:

:

I think the mods should keep this thread open despite their previous warning we haven't seen anything like this since the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic.

The shutdowns we have are unprecedented the economy is going to suffer this is not something our politicians have done just for the hell of it. We are going to be locked down until this virus is under control it could be 6 months it could be a year or longer there could be far more restrictions placed on us.

The lefties might claim this could lead to racism with Chinese people I disagree with that. Chinese people have made an excellent contribution to Australia don't blame them for this does anyone here remember Victor Chang? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Chang

It's perfectly acceptable to blame the Chinese government for this, while I don't agree with this virus originating from the wet market as Rita Panahi claimed everything else she says is 100% spot on. https://www.facebook.com/SkyNewsAustralia/videos/414913309374611/
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 24 Mar 2020, 10:08 am

Ziad wrote:I think time 4 this thread to be closed.. can someone msg the mods

i think we're all old enough to know when to taper off and return back to topic, without constant, nanny moderation.

I've rang my LGS and for the time being it's business as usual with no discernable increase in panic sales. And let's keep it like that.
If you feel the need to hoard, and get one up over the other, ===> the Toilet paper line is over there. :problem:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 10:59 am

Zappa wrote:i think we're all old enough to know when to taper off and return back to topic, without constant, nanny moderation.

I've rang my LGS and for the time being it's business as usual with no discernable increase in panic sales. And let's keep it like that.
If you feel the need to hoard, and get one up over the other, ===> the Toilet paper line is over there. :problem:

Yep spot on Zappa... :clap:

This is a thread about gun shops opening restraints & at a stretch, panic buying ammo...nothing to do with arguing over who released the virus or who should shut down the thread...

Just keep it about gun shops trading... :)

(where did you say the toilet paper line-up is...?)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Zappa » 24 Mar 2020, 11:08 am

Stix wrote:
(where did you say the toilet paper line-up is...?)

For you Stix? in the Far one.. Very far queue. :)

Speaking of the aussie dollar and taking a dip, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our ammunition components are locally manufactured using local materials, therefore we shouldn't really be reliant on the greenback unless of course we're exporting the stuff ( like we do our LPG) .

Applies to the powder and projectiles. ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 11:20 am

Zappa wrote:For you Stix? in the Far one.. Very far queue. :)

Speaking of the aussie dollar and taking a dip, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our ammunition components are locally manufactured using local materials, therefore we shouldn't really be reliant on the greenback unless of course we're exporting the stuff ( like we do our LPG) .

Applies to the powder and projectiles. ?

Ah youre funny zappa...!!... :lol:

And you think "our" ammunition components are made here... :lol:

Maybe the laugh is on me, but ive never seen a hornady factory here... :huh: ...or speer...or R-P...or.. etc etc...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Mar 2020, 11:36 am

I think he means ADI powders and some of their ammo. Winchester were making some rimfire and shot... maybe centrefire, but that stopped last year.

Nearly all primers from OS and poetically all commercial projectiles from OS.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 24 Mar 2020, 12:02 pm

Just checked out my local and whilst they’re still trading, reloading supplies are dwindling fast. Next to no powder, a few trays of primers and the odd box of projectiles. Of course there is another price rise coming too eh. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2020, 12:08 pm

JimTom wrote:Just checked out my local and whilst they’re still trading, reloading supplies are dwindling fast. Next to no powder, a few trays of primers and the odd box of projectiles. Of course there is another price rise coming too eh. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Everything imported will go up in price after current stock is cleared then restocked our dollar is currently equal to US 59 cents.

I would suggest anything you were considering from optics to reloading equipment now would be a good time to buy it before prices go up.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Mar 2020, 12:31 pm

Prudent advice for those after something I would say. Fortunately I am flush with supplies.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 12:56 pm

Anyone in Qld or Brissy coming down to SA or Western Vic and got a little boot space to bring some ammo down for me...?
:)

Cos by golly you get some VERY cheap ammo up there...!!!
Sometimes down to less than half what we pay here... :shock:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Mar 2020, 1:21 pm

Stix wrote:Anyone in Qld or Brissy coming down to SA or Western Vic and got a little boot space to bring some ammo down for me...?
:)

Qld and SA are closing borders for interstate travel to try and contain this virus.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Zappa » 24 Mar 2020, 2:23 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Qld and SA are closing borders for interstate travel to try and contain this virus.

And here I am thinking QLD closed it borders to prevent the grey nomads trekking north. :huh:

I wonder how that would work. checkpoint charlie , State Troopers, Border control, checking licenses and passports ? :crazy:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 24 Mar 2020, 2:34 pm

was in the colac local gun store yesterday buying there last 2 bottles of adi 2208 powder
they had 4 people behind the jump that all stared at me as l approached the counter and ordered
l casually said to the guy who backed away "corona is pretty bad" he said "that's why we are keeping our distance" l said "l just cant get used to people looking at me like l'm a thief or a murderer" he smiled
the guy before me spent over a grand on ammo
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

Does anyone have any idea whats going to happen with powder & primer sales if/when there is a complete shutdown of shops...?
Bullets can be posted, but powder is different...

Will they be able to sell it one on one out the back door...?...maybe through a holding hatch like when space ships dock...lol...?

Then there is post offices...will they be open...? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 24 Mar 2020, 6:03 pm

The places that do have it will most likely be closed due to protecting their staff and the rest of the places will have sold out. I doubt ADI will shut the factory and if the exports are down they should actually catch up with powder stockpile. However they do have limits on how much they can store. Hopefully it wont all get exported when the exports are opened back up.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bill » 24 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

JimTom wrote:Just checked out my local and whilst they’re still trading, reloading supplies are dwindling fast. Next to no powder, a few trays of primers and the odd box of projectiles. Of course there is another price rise coming too eh. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Expect price rises of around 25%
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Mar 2020, 6:15 pm

I was told ssaa little river shop sold a 4kg bottle of 2208 on Monday..... could be there last, or you can ask they might have some more
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

I’m in transport logistics and have been told today that we are considered essential services - so company’s like toll, seaquip, monsons, etc - will not be closing, this supplies will be making it to the depots at least.
I tried to buy a slab of win x 12g today, shop owner wanted $250...5 months ago, was $150.
I asked him about the hike and he said, it’s because they are trying to make up for shortfalls in sales in other areas and with the uncertainty RE staying open and other supplies - they need to feed their families too...
I didn’t buy the slab...but I can understand their uncertainties.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 7:22 pm

Well although we can all understand the 'want to feed the family' Tassie, we also dont want to be ripped off...& thats the thing...just creates a vicious circle...

And transport is necessary for food delivery...but probably not gun powder...

I wonder how long until we are shut down completely...?...will gun shops be open on Monday...?...doesnt look like it hey...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2020, 7:25 pm

Every day there is something or some service extra gone or going that we are used to haveing andthats only what we have personally encountered I’m starting to think that supermarkets and petrol stations are goin to be what we are left with
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Mar 2020, 7:42 pm

Yes BLR...i rekon were not too far off that...my guess is this week will be our last week of "normality"...lol...

i cant see gun shops (or anything other than chemists, servo's supermarkets Dr's & hospitals) open next Monday...

I should have bought my extra primers today...hopefully i can get them tomorrow.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2020, 9:06 pm

I started looking for stuff too. Two shops have sold out of the 243 fac ammo I was buying , My favourite pills and powder I can’t get but I think I can still get primers. I think we could be looking at least a few months of not being able to buy gear. At first we thought our suppliers would be low on stock now I get the vibe that even if they can afford to stay open they may be told to shut the doors. I won’t run out of hunting ammo. .. And as far as income goes I think I’m going to have to seriously drop rates and start working for lousy money And there’s so many worse off than me. Being able to earn income as a tradesman without human contact is going to be a real challenge I’m lucky I’m a solo operator with an occasional employee. If big construction sites were my thing I would be in trouble
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by xcb » 24 Mar 2020, 9:27 pm

It seems I have limited need for ammo, etc, since the range is closed, my club advises "Due to the virus all (club) events have been cancelled until further notice."
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Mar 2020, 5:36 am

At the risk of upsetting others - it was interesting to read that the Police appear to be requesting new powers to track self isolation people via their mobile phones...tin foil hat or civil liberties being given up ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Maxjon » 25 Mar 2020, 6:01 am

Ziad wrote:Well the shutdown fizzled. Now it's only churches, schools, restaurants, clubs etc. Little river is open next weekend so you can get stuff there...i recon most Melbourne metro gun shop will be open

Well if little river is open SSAA are fools. And going on what Scomo said last night, I dont think they will be for much longer.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation