Covidsafe App you really want it

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Covidsafe App you really want it

Post by Farmerpete » 03 May 2020, 4:16 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sounds like people are more scared of the app than the virus

I wouldn't say I'm scared of the app I'm aware it's no more data than Google/sony/Apple etc collect.

The thing is this is the first time the government is collecting this data and while the big corporations are collecting the data for profit their motivation is clear the gov motivation is not and that's what has got me worried.

Whenever someone doesn't want to explain their motivation for doing something but tells me to just obey because it's good for me I question WHY it's better for me to obey.
When someone doesn't like you asking why you can almost guarantee their lying and it's better for them not you.

The gov is saying download or stay locked up thats an ULTIMATUM not an EXPLANATION
Their frustration at people questioning the apps TRUE purpose is a big red flag for me.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 4:18 pm

The idea of t he app is good. And ss i see it these are the issues..
1. The data is stored in the US and that gov can access it if they want.
2. Hardly anyone trusts the government. I wonder why?
3. There is a veiled threst that if enough people dont use it then the restriction will not be eased.
4. No legislation passed yet to protect our privacy
5. Hardly anyone trusts the government
6. Hardly anyone trusts the government
7. Hardly anyone trusts the government
8. Hardly anyone trusts the government.

Did i get the message through? Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 4:49 pm

Blackened wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:But HOW is it really, truly going to help?

I imagine, really, the intent is to provide peace of mind for those who find it in such a thing.

As Wobble pointed out earlier in the topic, alerting you after you've been exposed obviously provides no practical benefit. Other than perhaps that you can then choose to self-isolate? But that's sure as hell an ass-backward way of attempting to manage a pandemic.

The app certainly doesn't appeal to me.

If you listen to the message from slomo it is to help identify:

1. Who you may have contracted it from.
2. Who you may have infected after you discover you are infected.
Then those infected can self isolate or get medical attention if required.

It should be more effective than the current system that just inludes interviews, then lotsa ph calls. Remember if your asked who you were beside/near a week ago, would you remember or know the contact number of the person you stood near in the super market or where ever? I dont think so. Faster & more comprehensive.

And i think there is a delay of a few days before symptoms become obvious.

So the app can help prevent the spread. It is a "lag" system but better than the current.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 May 2020, 5:22 pm

Don't worry farmerpete even i am wearing a bit of tinfoil on this one.

So if the government does their job right, the app is not needed.

They need to test and quarantine every person coming from overseas.

If a localised second wave outbreak happens same measures as before need to be taken. Will having this app mean that if a second wave was to happen we won't be locked in our homes again? I don't think sowe will still be locked up.

Look i said earlier it's a mountain out of molehill. But after taking to a family member who got covid in the US, until a vaccine is found it is still quite dangerous, as its highly infectious and for many people in our society deadly. Just imagine similar deaths to what's happening in America before their lockdown happened. And it only really hit 3 states. I don't think our population could stomach 20/30/40 thousand people dying from this or any diseases. The politicians would literally burned at the stake.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 03 May 2020, 5:30 pm

Doesn’t the App just store the data on your phone. It’s only downloaded if you catch the virus and they wish to track movement. If you don’t get the virus the info doesn’t go into any yank server?
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2020, 6:15 pm

Regarding tracking movement of where I might have been. ...I’m 51 so I can’t even Remember where I went today
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 May 2020, 6:30 pm

Maybe i don't want my wife to find out where or who with i have been spending 15+ minutes.

Joking... but still for some that's a thing to worry about
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Archie » 03 May 2020, 8:33 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:
Anyone who uses this app is a traitor to the Australian people and I am going to send a letter to my federal MP and ask what he intends to do about this.
:

Funny thing, I wasn’t going to download the app because I didn’t like ScoMo lecturing me like a three year old. But tough choice after reading this, think I probably will because anyone who’s silly enough to play the “traitor” card on what’s supposed to be a just a forum for people with a common hobby, reckon I’ll just be rather on the other side than that sort of drama.

Can’t we just stick to arguments on the right calibre for [pick this weeks favourite animal]
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 May 2020, 1:54 pm

So faults of this dumb app.

On most apple devices unless the app is ruining on main screen its put to sleep. So you on the internet it's not working, you answering phone calls its not working, you looking at YouTube it's not working.

The way the app works its by looking at the signal strength...as there is no other way to work pout distance in Bluetooth low power state. So if you have a phone with a big antenna you are closer, if you have a phone in your pocket its further away, you have it your nice shiny case you are further away you holding the phone pointed towards the other phone... you are close.... even though all these people were starting right next to each other.

But more importantly, it will make you lazy you are more likely to forget names as you relying on the phone to do that 4 you.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 06 May 2020, 1:30 pm

Whole world freaking out over covid bs.... It's becoming abundantly clear that it's all an exaggerated wankfest. Even the BBC has published evidence outlining this extensively. There have been almost no deaths from it that weren't going to have a higher than 90% morbidity chance in the next 12 months anyway. Everyone bashing on about America's 61k deaths they had 65k deaths from the regular boring old flu in the same span of time last year. And that wasn't even one of the notable flu viruses, just ya run of th mill sniffles. I'm sick to death of hearing about it or reading about it to be honest
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 06 May 2020, 10:35 pm

I’ve just heard on grape vine that the ATO federal govt early access super scheme has been hacked and baaaaad stuff is unfolding.
Trust us with your data they say on the APP?...fmd.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 May 2020, 6:37 am

Zeig, last year they had a total of 60-70k flu related deaths not boring old sniffles but flu... so this has done that in 3 months.... so a little bit worse than that.

There have been quote a few young people dying, some even healthy. But i do agree with you on that...in Feb i did say this is a mountain out of a mole hill.

But after speaking to a family relative who is a health worker in the US, who caught the virus, even young people catching it is no walk in the park... unless you are asymptomatic. The main issue as explained to me with it is highly contagious. And yes older people and sick people get the worst brunt of the effects.

So the question is how many of us are over 50 with high blood pressure and/or diabetes or smokers or how of us have parents that are over 60 and how would you feel if they got sick and died from this "bullsh1t wankfest perpetrated by the media"?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 7:49 am

I don't know much about this app but to me it sounds like it could be a new version of voluntary ankle brace for the gov to keep an eye on people , this day and age and the technology we've got now , by not using this app might be the last stand to saving what little privacy we have left. I find it strange with the gov wanting people to down load this app and yet in the same breath knocking people back on being tested then there's the contradicting of themselves on rules and regulations ie leaving some shops open and others being closed even though the open ones pose a bigger threat than the closed ones just look at the Gun shops and the stopping of gun sales and ammo ,what relevance did that have compared to a shopping center or a take away food stall other than another shot at the gun laws ,Yeah something doesn't smell right to me
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 07 May 2020, 8:10 am

One shooting forum I look at think its a foot in the door for a New World Order.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... cYUP38CEH0
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 May 2020, 8:24 am

I downloaded it this morning.
Company asked me to as it’s a work phone.

I think it’s a good idea and I have nothing to hide.
I work in the service industry so I get around a bit.
At least this way if I happen to come across anyone with the pox it will tell me.
I’d rather that than find out I have caused someone to get sick or even worse, die
Member-Deleted

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 8:38 am

Yes that's your choice Denno and should be respected but as that PH is a work PH can I ask ,''Will you be down loading it onto your personal PH mate ?
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 May 2020, 8:46 am

Grandadbushy wrote:Yes that's your choice Denno and should be respected but as that PH is a work PH can I ask ,''Will you be down loading it onto your personal PH mate ?

I probably would but I rarely use it so it’s not much point. Work phone is always with me
Member-Deleted

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 9:11 am

G'day perentie mate firstly they've taken that vid off so can't watch it but i'm not sure it ( the virus) is an attempt at a ''World Order'' mate although the world leaders most likely would use it to do so , but I think it's just a virus maybe man made maybe not but whatever it is in some cases it is being handled poorly and yes governments will take opportunity to use it for their agendas ie tighter regulations, power, control, and to weaken opposition , but one thing clear out of this I see is how much BS is spread by countries to save face even though this virus is a serious contender to kill even more masses of people yet they ( the countries) still fudge the figures even our beloved mother land England and even here in Australia they're dusting their finger prints off to cover things up like with the Ruby Princess saga , this is why people have so much distrust toward the governments too many smoking mirrors and chasing shadows just to get one up on the people but all it has done is breed mistrust further and further into the people to the point everything the government suggests is frowned upon by people hence with this app not being accepted by the majority
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 9:12 am

Fair enough Denno
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2020, 9:39 am

Denno wrote:I downloaded it this morning.
Company asked me to as it’s a work phone.

I think it’s a good idea and I have nothing to hide.
I work in the service industry so I get around a bit.
At least this way if I happen to come across anyone with the pox it will tell me.
I’d rather that than find out I have caused someone to get sick or even worse, die

It might tell you mate - it might not...and that is one of my problems with it. (Aside from privacy/tracking).
I was in Bunnings last weekend - there must have been 3000 ppl in there and distancing? Yeah, kind of, but not really...
If I had the app and it didnt go off - I’d be in a false sense of security - and I think I saw that in Bunnings with some ppl clearly looking at their phones and not applying social distancing. But hard to tell.
If one person in there was a symptomatic - or didn’t have their phone...or phone was off or what ever and was passing it around, the app then provides ppl with a reason (excuse) to not follow common sense...app didn’t go off in there, I’ll skip hand washing this time, bugger it...and I’ll take a stab at a future prediction that it will be the cause of a secondary outbreak.
As always just my op, it’s worth bugger all, like most ppl.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 07 May 2020, 10:46 am

Grandadbushy wrote:I don't know much about this app but to me it sounds like it could be a new version of voluntary ankle brace for the gov to keep an eye on people , this day and age and the technology we've got now , by not using this app might be the last stand to saving what little privacy we have left. I find it strange with the gov wanting people to down load this app and yet in the same breath knocking people back on being tested then there's the contradicting of themselves on rules and regulations ie leaving some shops open and others being closed even though the open ones pose a bigger threat than the closed ones just look at the Gun shops and the stopping of gun sales and ammo ,what relevance did that have compared to a shopping center or a take away food stall other than another shot at the gun laws ,Yeah something doesn't smell right to me

Often I think when people imagine tyranny they might think of jackboots going to door to door to confiscate your guns or to grab people hostile to the regime, but a lot of times tyranny is imposed with the willing or manipulated consent of the people.

This app is a great example. Look at the way it is being sold "hey folks if you want to come out of this sooner, you better download the app", so through shaming people download the app. Then a year from now, five years from now, once they have this voluntary web of technology installed everywhere, they'll be using it to coerce people, "hey there why you were near Fred so and so and what were you talking about". Then anyone that questions this, the government will say "hey it's all for your safety and you want to be safe right?".

The best thing you will ever do folks is unplug from the Matrix. Stop listening to all the government propaganda, turn off those TV news networks and programs, watch what you read in the paper. Even science is corrupted now, science is all about who pays and the scientists will tell you the apocalyptic result you want so it can be used to manipulate people.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Raband » 07 May 2020, 10:48 am

TassieTiger wrote:If I had the app and it didnt go off - I’d be in a false sense of security - and I think I saw that in Bunnings with some ppl clearly looking at their phones and not applying social distancing. But hard to tell.

You'd definitely be using it wrong then - it's for tracking and halting outbreaks after the fact, not an early warning device.

It's "set and forget" and hopefully never be asked to upload the data it's collected to the health professionals.

I've got dashcam, CCTV and insurance - none of them give me a false sense of security or sway me to behave differently or take more risks because I have them. Hopefully I never use any of them either.
Raband
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 07 May 2020, 10:50 am

Denno wrote: have nothing to hide.

That's one of the key selling points tyranny uses, "you don't have anything to hide do you?"

I think once the people with power know every place you go, every thought you have, what you do every time of the day, then who are you as a person?

Also I would do some research, unless you are in the highly contagious stages of the virus with coughing and sneezing, casual contact with people doesn't transmit the virus easily.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 May 2020, 11:01 am

My boss has pushed it because last Friday I was supposed to do a job at Cedar meatworks.
Luckily for me, due to some admin issues the job was canned and rescheduled for Monday and when I arrived it was in lockdown and I was turned away. Thank f***. :lol:

May have dodged a bullet there. Who knows.
I hate that place anyway. It stinks... :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 11:09 am

Yes wanneroo I some what agree with you on the manipulation of people from the powers you only have to look at elections with governments all the promises to manipulate people to vote for them then after the elections nothing but broken promises but I still say some thing doesn't smell right , we already have enough checks and balances by governments giving us next to no privacy leading people to have very little faith in their leaders and i'm guessing it'll only get worse with governments pushing stuff like this app to people who most don't understand it or don't trust the government with it
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2020, 11:09 am

Raband wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:If I had the app and it didnt go off - I’d be in a false sense of security - and I think I saw that in Bunnings with some ppl clearly looking at their phones and not applying social distancing. But hard to tell.

You'd definitely be using it wrong then - it's for tracking and halting outbreaks after the fact, not an early warning device.

It's "set and forget" and hopefully never be asked to upload the data it's collected to the health professionals.

I've got dashcam, CCTV and insurance - none of them give me a false sense of security or sway me to behave differently or take more risks because I have them. Hopefully I never use any of them either.

I’d beg to differ - CCTV does make ppl behave differently and I can guarantee you that if your in a road rage incident - a dash can will do more to prevent an escalation than anything...
Anyway - if the app doesn’t alert you after the fact regardless, as you’ve advised it’s designed to do - it still can give a false sense of security simply because it hasnt done anything - and ppl are expecting it too.
We have some big road / steep ranges Over here and Tas roads installed a radar / radio device with signs to alert road users when trucks are using the roads. The signs flash - you know that a truck might be around the corner - but some trucks don’t turn signs on and at other times the signs don’t work...recently - Tas roads advised they are going to pull these systems because when they don’t operate, they cause accidents...it’s a similar thing ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 07 May 2020, 11:27 am

wanneroo wrote:
Often I think when people imagine tyranny they might think of jackboots going to door to door to confiscate your guns or to grab people hostile to the regime, but a lot of times tyranny is imposed with the willing or manipulated consent of the people.

This app is a great example. Look at the way it is being sold "hey folks if you want to come out of this sooner, you better download the app", so through shaming people download the app. Then a year from now, five years from now, once they have this voluntary web of technology installed everywhere, they'll be using it to coerce people, "hey there why you were near Fred so and so and what were you talking about". Then anyone that questions this, the government will say "hey it's all for your safety and you want to be safe right?".

The best thing you will ever do folks is unplug from the Matrix. Stop listening to all the government propaganda, turn off those TV news networks and programs, watch what you read in the paper. Even science is corrupted now, science is all about who pays and the scientists will tell you the apocalyptic result you want so it can be used to manipulate people.

wanneroo wrote:
That's one of the key selling points tyranny uses, "you don't have anything to hide do you?"

I think once the people with power know every place you go, every thought you have, what you do every time of the day, then who are you as a person?

Also I would do some research, unless you are in the highly contagious stages of the virus with coughing and sneezing, casual contact with people doesn't transmit the virus easily.

You're spot on there wanneroo...i like what you've said... :clap: :drinks:

But how do make people aware of it is the question...?

The attitude you speak of is even suffered by some (maybe many...? :unknown: ) gun owners here in Aust & they cant see it... :unknown:
Last edited by Stix on 08 May 2020, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2020, 11:41 am

wanneroo wrote:
Grandadbushy wrote:I don't know much about this app but to me it sounds like it could be a new version of voluntary ankle brace for the gov to keep an eye on people , this day and age and the technology we've got now , by not using this app might be the last stand to saving what little privacy we have left. I find it strange with the gov wanting people to down load this app and yet in the same breath knocking people back on being tested then there's the contradicting of themselves on rules and regulations ie leaving some shops open and others being closed even though the open ones pose a bigger threat than the closed ones just look at the Gun shops and the stopping of gun sales and ammo ,what relevance did that have compared to a shopping center or a take away food stall other than another shot at the gun laws ,Yeah something doesn't smell right to me

I don’t like one word replies - but...Amen!
As stix has said as well - when so many ppl are either brainwashed, don’t care or are just “over it” and give in - how do you get real numbers of people to listen? Free issues of 1984? I’ve got a lot of relatives / friends who just don’t get it...and I don’t ha e to sit bavk and wonder, did lethargy and complacency do this? Laziness? Hopelessness?
I often wonder what the people coming out of WW1 and 2 would think of where we are today...have we progressed enough to make their sacrifices worth it or would they be disappointed....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Robin » 07 May 2020, 12:52 pm

I think your worried about nothing,

Yes the gov could use the app for tracking, but at the same time, they can use Facebook, watsapp, car rego , even the latest TV's are listening, the list goes on, at the moment the gov has more then enough ways to track you and what you do, one more app wont make much difference, now that the gov has so many ways of listening, can they hurry up and open up the range.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 1:06 pm

So ok Robin I respect your opinion but wonder, if that is the case of the government having all this lets say ''Spy'' stuff then why would they want more ? For them wanting more to me say's they have more than the virus in mind , but I may be wrong ,but it's still not something I want to do.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics