Canada bans semi-autos

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: Canada bans semi-autos

Post by Oldbloke » 06 May 2020, 10:18 am

TassieTiger wrote:GDB - I think healthy debate is beneficial, entertaining, educational and I am not too big to have my mind changed by anyone at any time.
Times like we are in now will no doubt mean more wayward posts than normal as ppl get frustrated. I agree that pissing matches are ridiculous and non beneficial but in some ways they are inevitable given some emotional subject matter - but after All the heat has died down, we do have to remember - we are a minority that should be rowing together in the same direction.

OB...Pertinent point is that gun crime is committed by criminals - there’s a “hint” in the gun crime title...

Do you honestly think that a criminal is going to go to a back alley to buy a rifle that he(she) intends harm with and go - I’ll take the bolt action, because the semi is illegal? Gun to expensive? Well hey - instructions elsewhere in IT Re other devices if the F wit is adamant.

I have no issue with “some” hoops as Womble posted, but some of those hoops are well and truly entrenched already...

The ongoing cat calls for people to leave because they disagree with you, sarge and Bill is growing tiring. You can’t say “play the discussion point, not the man” and then repeatedly say - if you don’t like it F off. That’s just immaturity at its finest.

Sorry not clear what you were saying there.

Ill say this.

We cant stop professional criminals by legislation..

But I simply believe there needs to be a limit. At the moment some of the restrictions are just plain silly and not rational. But there still needs to be some checks and balances.
Problem is as soon as some one says that (above) its in some peoples mind interpreted as ban all guns. And that is simply BS. The same people want unlimited number of semis and 30 roung mags.

That demonstrates to me that perhaps those people are the ones that shouldnt have one.

As a group we need to demonstrate responsibility.

Some people have a licence for many years, then could go off the rails. May not even be that persons fault. But if he had a semi 223 with 5x20 round magazines would anyone here want their daughter in that shopping center? And some here would simply say they are criminals. Not always that simplistic.

A slightly different subject. On a FB page the otherday people were effectively bragging they shoot all deer under a light. And was intimated a fair bit of it was not legal. I wonder w hat thd GMA staff or police would think if they saw that?

Like someone said earlier a lot of it is about culture.

Politicians and the general public need to be comfortable with the culture, use and ownership of guns. IMHO the vast number of shooters are responsible and within limits i would be happy for them to have 1 or 2 semis. Its in fringe element concerns me.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 06 May 2020, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 06 May 2020, 6:38 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:I just cant wrap my head around how firearm owners can be pro gun control. It has to be some form of stockholm syndrome. And why is the hate of an action only for long guns? One can legally own 44magnium or 45 handguns with a self loading action, so what is the difference?. Anyone who studies would know that nearly all of the worlds firearm crime is committed with handguns not long guns.

It's Easy Peasy mate, they watch tv, read the paper and listen to other mongs that do that exact same thing. They willfully allow themselves to be indoctrinated daily and then go about reinforcing their mong ideas with the mong collective like lemmings walking through a maze made for them, they just trundle along the little path thinking they're the ones determining it. All reinforced by tv, paper, and other idiots.

They don't study, they don't have unique ideas congruent with facts. Notice not one of them wants to admit that they are saying it's ok for innocent people to be penalized for the wrongs of criminal individuals and the failings of the authorities, we don't need new laws, we don't need the current laws. We just need the right to defend ourselves and our families and homes/businesses, as well as the right to be unabated and uninhibited as free people who have no score to settle with society, criminals on the other hand have no business enjoying the rights of free and decent folk. It's really that simple. They are all convinced that these laws stop dangerous people getting guns, they never have before and they never will.

Just think, imagine you own a nice exotic car, imagine that someone else owns one, but they're an asshole, so they line up a footpath full of people (let's say 100 people) and run them all over, injuring some and killing most, the government then turns around to all who own that car and say,

"that's it, we've banned this vehicle because it's an assault vehicle, no one can own it now, and everyone that has one must hand it in or you will be committing a criminal offence"

Sounds fùcking retarded doesn't it? Well that's literally what's condoned and accepted by so many replying to this thread... I'd sooner boil my cock in battery acid than accept that as being perfectly fine and just.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 06 May 2020, 7:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
It's about risk management. .As has been touched on various types of equipment and jobs have requirements for say, training, licences, skills & equipment design etc. For example there are design requirements for cars, trucks, cranes, forklifts etc. Most people will never be exposed to this sort of information and not be aware of it's existence. Many laws are about safety for society. (road laws) Sooo, some people here think it's reasonable there be some checks and balances to help ensure the safety of our citizens. Apparently society seems to think that firearm owners are not particularly responsible. (yes, I know politics and media play a role in this) Most are. But unfortunately some are not. Otherwise we would not be having this discussion. So the politicians have decided that restricting semi's is one way of risk managing the risk associated with firearms in the community. Unfortunately when people on public forums express a view that we should have almost unlimited use of semi's it more than likely works against their own cause. Personally I think a few checks and balances is not unreasonable.

I'm sure there are alcoholics out there that think it should be OK to drive with a BAC of 0.3 But I don't think that society would accept that. Do You?

WTF Oldbloke :unknown:
you dont think being vetted by the police and firearms reg to prove you are a "fit and proper person" after you do a safety coarse that includes "cat C" is not enough :roll: and the cat C is in the A and B course its not different so if you passed the cat A&B you passed the cat C and thats why there is cat C questions in the test, this is not opinion it is fact
l hear this sh!t from ssaa wanna-be's who are just trying to make themselves look relevant at the time,
when l have pulled them up on there rubbish they tell me it being pro active
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by snag » 06 May 2020, 7:23 pm

Just throwing a stick of gelignite into the billabong here, but after more than half a century of rifle and shotgun ownership (including semi - autos) I decided that I wanted to shoot pistol. So I did all the required things and within 12 months I am now the proud owner of a very high quality 9mm semi-automatic pistol. My thoughts are that if our legislators can see the logic in suitable people having semi-auto pistols, should not a similar process be available for those wanting semi-auto rifles? Just thinking it may be a more attainable goal than petitioning for a complete lifting of the current ban?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 06 May 2020, 7:46 pm

Has anyone used an Akkar 3? It is quicker and more reliable than a self loading shotgun because it has no action to cycle and yet anyone can buy one, but they cant buy a self loading shotgun? I have a 338 lapua which can shoot through steal at 500 yards on a A/B licence but a ruger 10/22 that can just hit a rabbit at around 100m is illegal for me? That makes no sense. Any non criminal in QLD can get a legal self loading handgun but not a long gun? That makes no sense either.

The people that make the laws are as useful as a used condom. They have no clue about firearms.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 06 May 2020, 7:58 pm

ozzie did a nice review of the akkar 3 for those interested. It is the ultimate pig stopper in the scrub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPRdFhITFA
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 06 May 2020, 8:04 pm

Marksman is right... in regards to mental health no one ever talks about reforming it, I remember it did happen in Australia though.
When I was a kid my grade 1 teacher reinforced the boys don't cry rhetoric I was 13 when P.A.M. happened (grade 8) by the time I hit grade 12 I was being encouraged to talk about my feelings and being told it's good to cry every once in a while.
The change was extreme from what I'd been taught as a kid but NO ONE ever talks about the fact that we as a culture changed our entire thinking of mental health overnight.
In my view it was done on the sly forever tieing the good it did to stop mass shootings to the gun laws.
A good comparison is Switzerland and America...
In Switzerland it's illegal not to have access to an assault rifle, one is issued to each able bodied male at the age of 18 and he must keep his firearm in good condition, he must also be able to access and be ready to form the militia within 15 mins of the bells ringing. The firearm can be kept at his residence or in the town arsenal, his choice.
Switzerland has something in common with Australia too IT'S ATTITUDE TO MENTAL HEALTH. Can anyone tell me the last time there was a mass shooting in Switzerland. While your googling check out their violent crime rates
Everyone always talks about the other country with lots of guns America where they differ from Australia is if you ring 911 and say:
"I'm depressed I need to talk"
you don't receive counselling like you do in oz you get asked:
"would you like us to send someone to put you in a straight jacket and take you to hospital? "
If you answer no the response from the operator is : "well you have a nice day I hope you feel better". Click

It's not hard to see it's not the gun that kills people but it's easier to say:
"it's the guns fault"
rather than admit that:
"we the politicians have failed you in regards to health care"
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 06 May 2020, 8:16 pm

womble wrote:I have not used an akkar3. That sounds like it needs to be banned !!!

I have one, fires faster than a semi
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 May 2020, 8:50 pm

Denno wrote:
An that’s wrong too. I certainly would stand up and protest. I don’t disagree with everyone having a say. It’s all about the way it’s done, peacefully and productively.

I’ve been taken out of context so much in this thread. It’s appalling.
I’m not against semis at all
I’m not against hunting although I don’t do it anymore, I have in the past.
I’m not against normal peoples rights.

I’m anti extremist wackos who like to pick and choose their arguments to suit their rhetoric and as far as I am concerned, do it all the wrong way.

They spray their sh!t all over the forum, get kicked off and start again... and again

I’m all for freedom but I guess my kind of passive freedom doesn’t suit everyone

It’s just one kids opinion

Well said mate. All i see is someone takes a party of what i or whoevers post and then go on a wild tangent.

I do have to say though... If you all take all this time that you spend arguing on EG, to write letters to politicians and media... maybe that could effect a change in the laws......
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 May 2020, 8:58 pm

Antis seem to have gone a wee bit quiet...

I wonder if any one of those on here, actually read some of the posts put up and think - yeah, I might be wrong on that, I’m going to have a bit more of a think...or is it just ego vs I’m 100% right, 100% of the time...I hope not.

Myself - I’ve been swayed on a few topics and Ive come out and said, fair points blah blah, I think I’ve been re-educated...but now a couple things MM has posted has me thinking...how a couple prominent ppl seem to spend more time in the off topic arena than anywhere else and never post in actual shooting, camping or hunting, reloading or optic sections / photos...hmmmmmmm.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 07 May 2020, 11:17 am

Oldbloke wrote:Love that gif stix.

I also predicted an argument early in the thread. Does that mean we have something in common? Lol

Well it seem so...!!... :thumbsup:

We both own guns... :thumbsup:
We both shoot pests... :thumbsup:
We think alike on certain matters... :thumbsup:
And...we piss each other off here & there on this forum... :lol:

At the end of the day, if i ever met you in bar, im man enough to shake your hand & offer to buy you a beer...if you turned down that beer "thinking" you know me via here that would only reflect you...
No point judging someone entirely on text given it only conveys a small part of what we are really saying...although some people who continually bait im sure would be exposed as gutless trouble-makers in real life.

So anyway...given youre "old", bloke...( :lol: )...you must have used self loaders in your time surely...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2020, 11:40 am

Stix wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Love that gif stix.

I also predicted an argument early in the thread. Does that mean we have something in common? Lol

Well it seem so...!!... :thumbsup:

We both own guns... :thumbsup:
We both shoot pests... :thumbsup:
We think alike on certain matters... :thumbsup:
And...we piss each other off here & there on this forum... :lol:

At the end of the day, if i ever met you in bar, im man enough to shake your hand & offer to buy you a beer...if you turned down that beer "thinking" you know me via here that would only reflect you...
No point judging someone entirely on text given it only conveys a small part of what we are really saying...although some people who continually bait im sure would be exposed as gutless trouble-makers in real life.

So anyway...given youre "old", bloke...( :lol: )...you must have used self loaders in your time surely...?

Yes I'd Have beer with you. You need to meet people to get to know them. I'm into ales and stouts.

Well,,, just read my signature. (sorry looks like that the sentence I deleted last week. LOL) You only get part of the message. I'm sure that has caused a lot of miss-understandings here and elsewhere. Email is a classic.

I'm not that old, semi retired, but I think fully retired now with work the way it is with this virus. Will see. Nothing about for me ATM.

Self loaders, had a stirling semi 22 taken off me after Hoddle St I think. Was given to me by my father inlaw. Not worth anything but still pissed about it.
Had a lever 3030 and pumps too. New 12g pump was taken off me in 96. Only about 6 months old and got half of what I paid for it. So again pissed. I don't really miss them. But I'm sure some do. Just have BA's and BO's now. Plus an ML.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 07 May 2020, 11:54 am

So I have a hypothetical question...
Say a kid went back to the farm after completing an apprenticeship and held the position of farm management, applied and successfully gained a primary production license for cat c and d...
He then decided to leave the farm his dad OWNS as a job and go back to building for a living. Should said kid be allowed to keep his c and d license for eradication of pests on the farm given that
1. He's still responsible for the same property's pest control
2 his hunting practices on the property haven't changed.
3. His dad is too old to hunt.

The above has happened to guys I grew up with and they have been told to hand in their licence. I'm confused as to why they should have to.

if our laws are designed around the notion of keeping people safe how is it that that person is no longer safe to have said firearm just because he holds a steady income rather than the uncertainty of a farm income.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2020, 12:12 pm

FP - the law in Tas is written as to intend that the onus is on the licence holder to prove as to why they should hold and retain that category of licence and appropriate firearm.

Is it possible, that when they applied for said Cat C etc - they have used wording for example “I am in a full time farm Managemrnt position” to support their application? If so, then this would be legal grounds to revoke their cat C when they changed employment position - based on their wording?? This would be the only reason I could see for the revoking.

A poster elsewhere on the forum asked about his cat H licence - he did not have any registered cat H firearms. In Tassie, The law states that with a cat H you must own and/or use cat H firearms to retain the licence...so, if you jumped all the hoops and gained your h ticket but then fell on hard times and had to sell your hand guns, theoretically you’d be penalised for your financial position - nothing to do with safety - similar thing...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2020, 12:21 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:''Is that the sound of common sense I hear,'' ? well said bigrich mate . (how's things)

Yeah good mate . With all this lockdown time I’ve prepped thousands of pieces of brass , redone the timber stock for my soon to return 358 model 70 . Hopefully I can travel again soon and have a poke around some paddocks. I don’t think I’ll be getting over the border to Tenterfield anytime soon but. How’s things up north granddad ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2020, 12:30 pm

Canada has large predators like bears and mountain lions, the argument for handguns and semi auto rifles is a valid one. I feel I could get by with a browning BLR in 30-06 or even a 35 Whelen converted one, even if it’s only three shots. Canada like Australia, is a British colonial country, with no rights to bear arms as far as I’m aware. If we have firearms at all it’s at the discretion of the government. I’m not saying the decision to ban some semi autos over there is a fair one, but legally the government can do this if it wants. In this country I think semi auto 22 Lr would be a handy rabbit and pest gun , which Auntie Pauline wanted a review on . But labour shut that down quickly
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 May 2020, 12:36 pm

I hear you farmerpete...That there is the hipocracy of the laws...

Same deal for me...except i dont own or work on a farm...

At least twice every year there are a few of spots on a property where bunny numbers explode into enough for the crops to have a big holes in them...wouldnt equate to much in that year, but i bet it does over 5 years...!!

The only way to bowl them over is with a shotty as they dont stop--even under a light...they just run accross you back to the mallee, & come out again half hour later...you get 3-4 cracks at it before they catch on...

If i had a 12g with 8+1, i could reduce the numbers significantly in one night by going back over them 3 or 4 times, & fill the freezer with young bunny meat for the rest of the year...but the farmer isnt going to drive for a night if i have just 2 shots, so i might get 6 for the night...
He would do it if i could get 20 or more in a night. or i could do it on foot & maybe be as sucessful.

There are also 2 houses full...i mean FULL of pigeons---you wouldnt shoot them all in a week if you were camped out...every time i go i can only get 2...instead of 5-8...if i could get 5-8 each day visit & crack them at night as well with a tube mag full, id drastically reduce the numbers in a few visits, & have their numbers dwindled down to a couple at most within a year...but you just cant do it with 2 shots...

By law, even if the farmer had a self-loader, i still cant use it for him unless im both licenced appropriately, AND employed by him...!!...just stupid rules that encourage & foster people to do the wrong thing, & help in funding illegally modified & unregistered guns...!!!...exactly what the laws are supposed to stop...but anti's who fall for this "a gun means violence" rhetoric just dont get that...!!!!

Im all for heavy checks & balances to keep these firearms out of nutters arms, but like many draconian laws we have, these should be altered...
I know of pro shooters who miss roos at 80 yds & blow faces off at 50...these twats have no checks & balances...

I dont have the answers, but the belt should be loosened off a notch or 2 for guys who are capable & worthy....even if the firearms were retricted to certain properties &/or activities---like how Vic Govt i think have "bookings" for state forest hunts...

A proven worthy self-loding shotty owner like myself & those you speak of, could "book in" dates with local police & carry monthly permission slips maybe... :unknown:

Id love to be able to upload a video of the numbers of bunnys & pigeons im talking about...im sure some of the city benchrester/paper target/dont hunt/shoot an occasional bunny/anti semi-auto guys would be amazed...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2020, 12:44 pm

OMHO regarding above Qn. Should be able to keep. Just providing complies with 1. So,, a letter from Dad should suffice. maybe proof of relationship. (birth certificate.)

Really most shooters should be able to get a 22 semi pretty easy.

If you read my post (on page 3 i think) I talk about a probation option.

I'll restate. I simply think there should be some simple checks and balances & there needs to be sensible reason. Currently in Vic the bar is IMO too high.

And it's not rational. Now I could well be corrected here: LOL cause I'm not really up with it. I have and A B, the most common.

12g semi is OK if you are a member of a skeet club only, but not a 12 pump. DOH
You can buy a pump center fire though. (Got a feeling you have to have a deer lic, or be in a dog team, not sure)
But I can't buy a semi 22lr. DOH

But I think deer hunter (pigs too) should be able to have a self loader or pump . But I don't think Mags over say 10 should be freely available. Now to be clear if a major political party said they were going to allow 15 round mags for semis i wouldn't change my vote to resist that. But I don't think it should be open slather either.

Edit. Personally I think all levers & pumps (any manually operated) should be B

Its currently confusing and all over the place.

A B Lic Firearms.JPG
A B Lic Firearms.JPG (73.25 KiB) Viewed 4734 times

Lic-Category-Genuine-Reason-Table.pdf
(113.91 KiB) Downloaded 7060 times
Last edited by Oldbloke on 07 May 2020, 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 07 May 2020, 12:59 pm

Well Stix, exactly if someone is vetted then they have already passed the test to prove they're eligible and law abiding and not a threat. As for people that miss, a semi would be at least offering a better follow up shot.

I've had creek drives here where upto 19 foxes have run out of the scrub Infront of me, this isn't uncommon where I'm situated, for large numbers to exist in creeks and patches of reserve, now a 20 shot semi ar15 would be just the ticket or a Benelli M4 or supersport depending on the distance they are from me. WA will grant category C semi 12G for farmers and so on, but love to ask for engineering to prove that the firearm has been limited to 3 shots, and can't be converted back easily to more. So really it takes away the entire advantage and point of having one.... Hence the akkar 3 in my possession
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 May 2020, 1:46 pm

Yeah bigrich things are good up here also I've traded my 22-250 barrel and action in on a new one and while i'm waiting for it to arrive i'm doing up the stock ( its a laminated one) the first try I used a marine varnish but for some reason it crazed and orange peeled so I sanded it right back to bare wood and I mean right back it removed all the checkering , I then used Tru Oil that I was told about and I've just put the 5th coat on, it will be the last , it's looking good at the moment so will put the rifle back together when the barrel and action arrive. I've got all my reloading ahead of me yet also the hunting and shooting has been slow here as well, too much grass but the harvest will start soon and then things will get a little livelier as far as shooting and hunting go
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 May 2020, 3:53 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yeah bigrich things are good up here also I've traded my 22-250 barrel and action in on a new one and while i'm waiting for it to arrive i'm doing up the stock ( its a laminated one) the first try I used a marine varnish but for some reason it crazed and orange peeled so I sanded it right back to bare wood and I mean right back it removed all the checkering , I then used Tru Oil that I was told about and I've just put the 5th coat on, it will be the last , it's looking good at the moment so will put the rifle back together when the barrel and action arrive. I've got all my reloading ahead of me yet also the hunting and shooting has been slow here as well, too much grass but the harvest will start soon and then things will get a little livelier as far as shooting and hunting go

ahhh, nuthin like a fresh barrel or a new gun, hey mate :D . i use tru oil on all my stock restoration. good to hear things are looking up for shooting and hunting up there :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 07 May 2020, 6:53 pm

Here is a lovely self loading collector gem from one of the few ranges that allows 338 lapua in Qld. Sorry if the photo frightens anyone.....

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=164729
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 May 2020, 5:19 am

Interesting to see the virtually immediate effects the imposed bans are having and the panic it’s causing. Canada having such a large population the black market demand just exploded overnight with panic buying. Even AK Parts kits are rumoured to be drying up. Unlikely of course, but even Brownells has sold out of AK-47 receivers.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 09 May 2020, 7:12 am

womble wrote:Interesting to see the virtually immediate effects the imposed bans are having and the panic it’s causing. Canada having such a large population the black market demand just exploded overnight with panic buying. Even AK Parts kits are rumoured to be drying up. Unlikely of course, but even Brownells has sold out of AK-47 receivers.

This is so true with the buyback the gov and gun control Australia constantly say they got em all. Truth is they got maybe 10 to 50 % so what happened to the rest. There was a very eye opening YouTube video by Ozzie reviews that showed import figures vs guns bought back.

The question we should be asking is:
since the buyback was not as successful as they say, what else changed in oz. that would attribute to the lack of mass murders???

The answer is simple and NEVER discussed by anyone anywhere it's our attitude toward mental health.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 May 2020, 7:15 am

womble wrote:Interesting to see the virtually immediate effects the imposed bans are having and the panic it’s causing. Canada having such a large population the black market demand just exploded overnight with panic buying. Even AK Parts kits are rumoured to be drying up. Unlikely of course, but even Brownells has sold out of AK-47 receivers.

not many semi auto's got handed in with new zealands ban , canada will be the same . they were given the choice to hand them in , now a whole bunch of people will now be thought of as criminals for not handing them over . i've talked to fellas who handed in slr's and valmets and such in '96 out here. some made money from the buy back . most have told me they don't really miss semi's for hunting except semi shotguns for ducks and semi 22lr for rabbits . i'm old enough to have shot m1 carbines and a m14 308 back before 96 , they were fun, but could be expensive to run if you really liked having fun :lol:

a point most people miss is the cultural attitude to some firearms. i'm going to open a can of worms here . america has been at war on it's own soil with britain , mexico and spain . they were invaded by foreign powers , that's why their right to bear arms exists. not to mention outlaws, indians and mexican bandits back in the day .that's where their mindset is . it's a american cultural thing .the right to self defense and one's home and property . something we don't have in this country :roll: . i was on a american forum a few years ago and they were talking about handguns and AR's for personal and home defense . i copped some flack over australia's "draconian gun laws" , but i made the point my bolt action and lever guns didn't restrict me from hunting/shooting . after copping more flack , i replied "i'm glad i don't live in a country where i need a handgun and a AR to feel safe " that did't go over well. calls of "fudd" were posted. just my 2 cents

i would still like a browning blr reworked from 30-06 to 35 whelen but..... :D or a 284 winchester 100 ;)

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 May 2020, 7:19 am

Farmerpete wrote:
The question we should be asking is:
since the buyback was not as successful as they say, what else changed in oz. that would attribute to the lack of mass murders???

The answer is simple and NEVER discussed by anyone anywhere it's our attitude toward mental health.

this is a point i try to make with people about american shootings . it's cultural and mental attitude . canada has about as many guns per person as america, but canadians have a different attitude to guns and far less shootings :unknown:

as do we in australia and new zealand

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 May 2020, 7:20 am

+1 nicely put BR.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 May 2020, 8:33 am

Yeah that's pretty much how it is bigrich and I think mental health would be the corner stone in all of it and what was said it is never talked about, we here in Australia still live under a type of convict understanding as to how we are treated by the government, most of us are descendants who came here in chains and possibly if you looked at the political descendants they would have been free people or the majority would have been this is why the culture has never disappeared unlike the US where their culture has been shattered many times only to form the one they have now like freedom to bare arms
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 09 May 2020, 9:31 am

the difference in the mentality in the USA and places like Australia and Canada is on display right now in America, take a good look at the Ahmaud Arbery case and ask yourself how in the hell in the modern world could a 2 man posse of white dudes harass and hunt down black dude out taking a jog.

I hope these 2 get the Electric chair.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 09 May 2020, 10:19 am

It is interesting to note that the laws in Canada have bypassed Parliament.

I wonder why?
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics