lame stream media

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

lame stream media

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 8:19 am

Good to see the media doing their background checks as usual. Anything with a detachable magazine is an "assault rifle" according to these morons. If only the criminals handed in their firearms in 1996 this would not of happened. :allegedly:

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSsydney/vi ... ted_videos
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: lame stream media

Post by 8x57 » 14 May 2020, 8:55 am

Looks like an m1 carbine aka assault rifle
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 9:01 am

If it is not select fire then it is not an assault rifle. Can you see a selector switch? M1 carbine or rifle is not select fire.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 May 2020, 9:44 am

IMO this looks like a good definition.

Screenshot_20200514-094028_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200514-094028_Chrome.jpg (194.23 KiB) Viewed 5422 times

So if I recall correctly M1 is only a Semi
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 May 2020, 10:45 am

I think we should band together and lobby to have the word ASSAULT eradicated from the English language ....it causes us gun owners no end of trouble. Anti gunners probably think being hit with a 223 from an ar15 causes more damage than being hit with a 223 from a bolt action. Too much emotion and not enough real thinking
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 11:12 am

Well in Qld firearms are legally called weapons. So ridiculous, because anything can be used as a weapon. I could use a calculator as a weapon for example.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Angel » 14 May 2020, 11:15 am

AussieCapitalist wrote:Well in Qld firearms are legally called weapons. So ridiculous, because anything can be used as a weapon. I could use a calculator as a weapon for example.

As well as being charged for discharging a missile...
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 14 May 2020, 11:39 am

Alas, the credibility of mainstream media leaves a lot to be desired. Sensationalism is the key word. They don't do their homework of issues concerning elements of the presentation.....as long as the end result is a winner in their eyes.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 May 2020, 11:48 am

education is the answer IMO
eg... most people think AR means automatic rifle :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 12:00 pm

They talk about diversity in the workplace. Where is the firearm enthusiast representation in the press?

Servo robbed by what appears to be a M1 carbine with an after market stock and fore grip that plays no part in the rate of fire of the firearm. Used in the second world war and Korea by the US military, the carbine features a small 30 cal blah blah blah that is less powerful than a modern 308 hunting rifle blah blah blah.

Is that so hard to spread a little information to the public and not scare people?
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 May 2020, 12:24 pm

Producers and directors of movies put into the hands of sweating ripped actors, big black guns with ridiculous magazines and attachments because that’s what the viewing public wants to see , but the same public goes nuts at the thought of somebody in the bush shooting at a mob of pigs with a mini14
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 1:12 pm

Same can be said for the police. The average cop in Australia knows nothing about firearms and could not even hit the side of a barn door but the public feel safe that they are walking around with a glock.I read on here that some bloke posted the cop doing his safe inspection had no idea and asked him to show him that the firearm was safe. No magazine and a chamber flag is a good indicator mate that shes clear.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Angel » 14 May 2020, 1:19 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:Same can be said for the police. The average cop in Australia knows nothing about firearms and could not even hit the side of a barn door but the public feel safe that they are walking around with a glock.I read on here that some bloke posted the cop doing his safe inspection had no idea and asked him to show him that the firearm was safe. No magazine and a chamber flag is a good indicator mate that shes clear.

And the QLD copper that accidently discharged her firearm at the Brisbane Show (ekka).
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by poid » 14 May 2020, 1:42 pm

I'm told that NSW cops get 30 rounds a year for practice, anything more is up to them. When it comes to firearms they are set up to fail so I have a fair bit of sympathy for them.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieCapitalist » 14 May 2020, 2:04 pm

Obviously the state tactical teams get more range time but the street cop should at least have some idea. I am not saying they should be a qualified marksman but at least put in some effort. Show a little pride in your job. If they ever get into a firefight with a trained criminal they are in for some trouble.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 May 2020, 6:11 pm

It might be because the reality is 99% of their time is when they do not need to use a firearm.

New York City police officers rarely use their guns and hardly ever fire them. Of the more than 5 million police calls that officers responded to in 2017, which involved nearly 290,000 arrests, officers fired their weapons just 52 times. Twelve of those discharges were accidental.

The above is an article is from 2019. Even in NY that's the situation, this is probably why unless they have a personal interest in firearms its a tool they don't really need or use that often
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 May 2020, 6:49 pm

AussieCapitalist wrote:They talk about diversity in the workplace. Where is the firearm enthusiast representation in the press?

Servo robbed by what appears to be a M1 carbine with an after market stock and fore grip that plays no part in the rate of fire of the firearm. Used in the second world war and Korea by the US military, the carbine features a small 30 cal blah blah blah that is less powerful than a modern 308 hunting rifle blah blah blah.

Is that so hard to spread a little information to the public and not scare people?

the truth is not important as far as the media is concerned , if scaring the public results in good ratings that's all that matters :thumbsdown:
i'm not supprised at all , feel sorry for the fellas having a gun pointed at them but . not something ya want to experience out of the blue like that
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 May 2020, 7:22 pm

Sergeant Hartman wrote:It might be because the reality is 99% of their time is when they do not need to use a firearm.

New York City police officers rarely use their guns and hardly ever fire them. Of the more than 5 million police calls that officers responded to in 2017, which involved nearly 290,000 arrests, officers fired their weapons just 52 times. Twelve of those discharges were accidental.

The above is an article is from 2019. Even in NY that's the situation, this is probably why unless they have a personal interest in firearms its a tool they don't really need or use that often

There were 17 shots allegedly fired from 5 police officers at The recent shooting of a man in Tassie - posted elsewhere. The person was hit 3 times. Makes the reported New York no’s look a bit thin...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 May 2020, 8:54 pm

Its late, and i had a long couple of days mate...i am assuming you are saying i am making stuff up...aka lying.

Anyway
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/re ... harge.page

That's the stats, if you look at the first pdf incidence by force catagory... it says 52 incidents... and that's the first line.

Now this basically was top of the list, and for reference population of NY is nearly 20 million people.

If you mean the training imparted to tassie police is lacking...i would tend to agree... butt i would also say the GD police shouldn't really be fitting and they should wait for tactical response
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by womble » 15 May 2020, 4:46 am

NY today is one of the safest cities in the world. So not much point in comparing. Unless you want to go back to the 1980’s.
Police would be far more likely to encounter criminals with firearms in Melbourne or Sydney today.

Try Rio de Janeiro or maybe Johannesburg or Mexico. I think you will find that police officers are highly skilled and adept with firearms.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 15 May 2020, 4:59 am

I don’t know where you get the public shootout scenario from. The movies.
Yeah naah. Would be avoided at all costs. The only casualties in that scenario would be innocent civilians. Not unlike a war zone actually. Unless it’s an American war zone. More likely to engage each other than the enemy.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 May 2020, 6:23 am

Sergeant Hartman wrote:Its late, and i had a long couple of days mate...i am assuming you are saying i am making stuff up...aka lying.

Anyway
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/re ... harge.page

That's the stats, if you look at the first pdf incidence by force catagory... it says 52 incidents... and that's the first line.

Now this basically was top of the list, and for reference population of NY is nearly 20 million people.

If you mean the training imparted to tassie police is lacking...i would tend to agree... butt i would also say the GD police shouldn't really be fitting and they should wait for tactical response

Your being a bit paranoid mate - I’m not saying your making anything up. In light of the black lives matter movement, I’m not surprised NY moved to restrict or at least Tried to curb firearm use.

I’m not sure how much training Tas police have but when under pressure and in fear - ppl panic and the officers involved at the Tas shooting clearly did that but it also means that stats are subjective as that was more than likely recorded as one incident.

Does anyone recall the cop who was called to despatch an injured roo and he emptied his side arm - missing every shot finally asking a member of public to help ? Now HE needs some training lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 15 May 2020, 7:08 am

whats the bet its one of those functioning replicas like the army surplus used to sell a few years back.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by womble » 15 May 2020, 9:28 am

I don't think it is unfortunately, no-one would fit an aftermarket stock to a replica.
Nor it is likely to be an illegal import, that market being dominated by ak or ar platforms

I'd say most likely it's the product of the failed buy back program. A generation on these unregulated guns are now in the hands of the next generation. Where else could they go really.
Some of the folk who originally owned them legally licenced, have passed on
, however some of them gave birth to d**kheads.
These guns will be circulating in criminal society for many generations to come.
Fair warning to Canada perhaps
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 15 May 2020, 7:00 pm

After reading this entire thread and watching the debate on whether it's an assault rifle or not unfold I've realised you've all missed the bigger picture

This gun being used PROVES gun laws do nothing to stop criminals using guns in crime. It also PROVES the ineffectiveness of Australian gun laws. Regardless of whether it's a replica, illegal import or one that's not been handed in its been effectively banned for 20 plus years and it's still on the street being used in a crime.
Either the laws don't work or police are really ship at their job
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 15 May 2020, 7:33 pm

Bans are never effective, they’re just deregulation for criminal enterprise. The commodity dose’nt just magically dissapear. It just goes underground. Value increases with notoriety. Cash economy tax free, the market grows with increasing demand ..
And then it trends mainstream.
That’s where we’re at now with illegal firearms. It’s the must have for street cred.

German shepherds were banned in Australia for 40 odd years. They got very popular.
How long has gambling been banned in China ? Nobody gambles like the Chinese.
Gay sex was banned in Sydney since forever. How gay is Sydney. Pretty f***ing gay right.

Should have mentioned theres also a reasonable possibility that gun was handed in during an amnesty.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 May 2020, 8:06 pm

A lot of drugs are illegal and are readily available. If there is a market for it and money to be made someone somewhere will fill that void.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AussieCapitalist » 15 May 2020, 8:17 pm

You blokes talking about replicas has got me watching the video over and over and using my brain. Maybe it was a replica or not loaded. He cocks its when he points it up to the window when we can assume the bloke inside was watching him. Why did he do this and not cock it as he was running up to the window? If you are going to do this robbery would we not reasonably assume you would be ready to fire before you got to your target? It was a psychological move to make the store clerk think it was real and he was in imminent danger. When in reality if it was loaded all they had to do was shoot the glass door to gain access to the store.

It is not real or its unloaded I am convinced. Or maybe I am overthinking the event and it was just a bunch of crackheads who did not think that fair ahead and just went off the cuff.
AussieCapitalist
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 15 May 2020, 8:28 pm

womble wrote:Bans are never effective, they’re just deregulation for criminal enterprise. The commodity dose’nt just magically dissapear. It just goes underground. Value increases with notoriety. Cash economy tax free, the market grows with increasing demand ..
And then it trends mainstream.
That’s where we’re at now with illegal firearms. It’s the must have for street cred.

German shepherds were banned in Australia for 40 odd years. They got very popular.
How long has gambling been banned in China ? Nobody gambles like the Chinese.
Gay sex was banned in Sydney since forever. How gay is Sydney. Pretty f***ing gay right.

Should have mentioned theres also a reasonable possibility that gun was handed in during an amnesty.

So what your saying is that if more people decide to buy them off the black market the government will give up on the bans and just allow us to own them again?

So following that logic if we want a change in the laws instead of lobbying state and federal mps all we have to do is drive down to the local bikie clubhouse and shop there instead of at the lgs?

I finally see what the ssaa has been doing wrong all these years.

I agree resisting the oppression helps but public opinion helps more the reason gay people can get married is they convinced the population that it wouldn't hurt them if they could. We live in a world where people want to say live your way just don't hurt anyone else while you do it. If you can convince the population that vetted people won't shoot them they're going to be happy to let you have them
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 16 May 2020, 5:12 am

Nah, we will never be allowed to legally own them in Australia again. No matter how you approach it. Nothing will ever change that.
Politically you’d be destroyed by any means. Probably finish up in jail.
Legally if you challenged and were successful. Surprise, the law just changed.
Nothing will ever tarnish Howard’s, Fischer’s masterstroke that showed the world. It was a saviour move. It’s an Aussie legacy. It is revered.

I’m just questioning. Was it a mistake in hindsight. Because these were intelligent men, well versed in how a society functions. I think they had strong foresight. I think they had strong visions for the countriy’s future and thought long term.
So they new all along how this would play out inevitably. But not for a generation. And that was enough for them. That was the sacrifice.
Now we deal with the long term consequences.

A future is comming where no citizen will be allowed to own firearms worldwide. But everyone will have easy access to them.
America exports freedom. The brand is AR.
The East exports revolution. The brand is AK.
No legislation will ever stop the exportation of either.
This is massive industry. Massive corporation. Massive money. Legitimate and black. Always competing for market domination. Not easy to get anything AK in the states because of tarrifs imposed. Have to protect their own market.
Have to wonder, follow the money. Is Canada just a new market to conquer. Because one thing you can believe, corporation on this scale can and will buy out any opposition.
Would they want foreign domestic markets de-regulated to gain greater access to the masses. Of course. The technology is now here for new marketing platforms. And it will be commonplace in every domestic household.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/thousands-of-ak-47-assault-rifles-could-be-in-australia-experts-say-20180815-p4zxkt.html
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics