Topical and Succinct (warning mild foul language)

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Topical and Succinct (warning mild foul language)

Post by straightshooter » 25 Jun 2020, 7:53 am

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Topical and Succinct (warning mild foul language)

Post by Bugman » 25 Jun 2020, 8:27 am

There is hell of a lot of truth in that young lady's rant. Good for you girl. :thumbsup:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 9:49 am

I agree Bugman and by saying we agree with most of what she says, will in the eyes of many class us as racists for doing so but I really thing the riots in America did more damage to their cause than they realise , those people they had sitting on the fence with their cause have now fallen off and don't condone the violence within the riots, same in Australia and elsewhere, yes it has got the people talking but you watch not much will change , because governments can't be seen bowing down to violence no mater for who and what reason , the violence card is what the governments will use to hold back the process and rightly so because these people turned on their own at one stage and destroyed their income and future the money will have to be paid back even though their business has been destroyed, and no more, and this is where a lot of damage to the cause will be from their own
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 9:57 am

Similar to the kind of simplistic naive rants weve come to expect from Greta. I'd prefer to get my political comment from someone who has graduated from high school thanks.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 25 Jun 2020, 11:12 am

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Similar to the kind of simplistic naive rants weve come to expect from Greta. I'd prefer to get my political comment from someone who has graduated from high school thanks.

Such as politicians and others who are so afraid of saying the wrong thing they will lose their jobs and be subject to public persecution.

I for one am sick of this political crap.

As a straight person - if I was on any form of social media or in public and claim I was proud to be straight, I would be shot down in flame for being insensitive.
As a male - I am putting women down by mansplaining, or because I have been in my job for a number of years with more diverse experience, but I am guilty of being paid differently (gender pay gap) to female colleagues who are less experienced.
As someone who has white skin - I am being racist when I say all lives matter.
As a citizen - who is angered by the looting and expressing this view - and being told I don't understand that these people are just protesting with violence so people listen.
As a former police officer - who has tried to explain to people (who have never wore such a uniform) that "reasonable" force is sometimes required, to be just told you are being a bully and people should be left alone by the police.

On that last point, do I think the officer involved with George Floyd did the wrong thing, absolutely, George was in cuffs and no longer a threat.

But to all the people saying disband the police, I hope the cops go on strike for 2 weeks , and see how the places will fall apart. People will be begging for the cops to come back.
Last edited by duddley75 on 25 Jun 2020, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 11:12 am

Yeah that's fair enough Allthegearandnoidea but I think she was just putting her opinion forward as we all do mate, and don't loose sight that there are some very smart kids out there that haven't graduated as yet but anyway it's all about opinions and if we didn't have them it'd be a dull old world wouldn't it, cheers mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 11:22 am

I didn’t take it as political - just a frustrated observation...

JoeRogan has a good podcast The the transgender area - he got into a Huge argument with his guest who was promoting hormones for confused transgender kids...mr Rogan won me over with that podcast. I’m a big fan.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 11:53 am

Yeah that's fair enough Allthegearandnoidea but I think she was just putting her opinion forward as we all do mate, and don't loose sight that there are some very smart kids out there that haven't graduated as yet but anyway it's all about opinions and if we didn't have them it'd be a dull old world wouldn't it, cheers mate :thumbsup: :drinks

That's true GDB - just putting forward her opinion and I get it but its interesting that Greta's rants weren't met by similar responses. Although i'm not a fan of Greta, there weren't many on this forum that reckoned she was just putting forward an opinion. Or are some opinions just wrong :D ?

I'd like to get back to the days when people were were ready to agree to disagree. Personally I am far more likely to argue passionately about the merits of FOC in bowhunting or whether its oK to put a Chev small block in a Ford or the efficiency of a big slow 45/70 vs a smaller faster 270 on large bodied game. Ive never called anyone names for wanting to shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor just because I don't own one and Ive never called anyone an idiot just because they support Trump (oh hang on) :lol: :lol: :lol:
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 11:58 am

Greta wasn’t putting forward her opinion though - it’s very, very clear from a number of interviews that she cannot answer questions in her own right.
If she was passionate and involved rather than “lead” - I think things would be different.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 12:12 pm

Greta wasn’t putting forward her opinion though - it’s very, very clear from a number of interviews that she cannot answer questions in her own right.
If she was passionate and involved rather than “lead” - I think things would be different.

That's an interesting opinion :lol:
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 12:18 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:

That's an interesting opinion :lol:

There are a LOT of videos like this one...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0bwLt_5t73g
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 12:22 pm

People of the world need to stop and think about what's happening and how they are contributing to the problems we as a nation are facing , this ''you'', them, we're treated bad, ban the police, racism and many more all of which I see coming from both sides of the coin, these are common problems when you have different thinking people and different nationalities these problems will not be sorted by riots with violence, looting and acts of racism , these problems have to be settled by the people actually in charge of the people and law making , now if they can't do their job as in the case of George Floyd then these people have to be removed from their positions and training changed so as this doesn't happen again , if this doesn't happen then the person in charge is not doing their job and has to resign or be dismissed ( not shut down the whole system) there should be an independent body overlooking this to ensure everybody stays within the laws one problem I see with this is that there are so many bad eggs and they give the good a bad name and people unfortunately prejudge the whole lot, then people should have easier access to a complaints department should be independent from all governments and show they take every case seriously, while you have things like we have had lately riots, violence, looting, shootings, well things will just drag on as usual , just look at how many times this has happened over the years and how little change as come from it, all I can see has come from it is a culture in some law enforcement officers that isn't welcome in any walk of life, you'll find in all walks of life people will listen to and help the underdog and scorn the bully ie (violent riots, lootings, shootings, racism) and you'll find these law enforcement personnel flaunting the laws will pay the price eventually and so will any leaders in that area,(not because of the riots but because the whole world has seen the footage of what has happened) so there in itself shows that a single person with a camera phone can create change without violence, just something to ponder. :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 12:36 pm

No doubt - I havent looked. Greta is a kid - I don't look to kids for guidance on political matters. She may have been coached - who cares? All I'm saying is that she seems to have an opinion on some things that seem important to her - as do most kids. How informed that opinion is, is another matter. You may have a different opinion.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm

Yeah Allthegearandnoidea I get your point , I to am not a fan of Greta but yes she does have a point and an opinion I've never disliked her having an opinion, it was she doesn't have all the facts and looks like she is not the person in charge and is rather unconvincing at best with the way she handles the facts of global warming , I don't think either of these girls are wrong but one's opinion appeals to me more than the other and that's what life's about opinion and choice and that's what these girls give us.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm

Yeah Allthegearandnoidea I get your point , I to am not a fan of Greta but yes she does have a point and an opinion I've never disliked her having an opinion, it was she doesn't have all the facts and looks like she is not the person in charge and is rather unconvincing at best with the way she handles the facts of global warming , I don't think either of these girls are wrong but one's opinion appeals to me more than the other and that's what life's about opinion and choice and that's what these girls give us.

You are spot on - and I like YOUR opinion :drinks:
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Jun 2020, 12:54 pm

That’s the difference to me ATG - I don’t think that she does have an opinion or even cares about that which she promotes - maybe she cares about pleasing her puppet masters And that is something - but she doesn’t appear to have the passion or knowledge that one would reasonably expect for someone in her position...(obviously, it’s just my opinion lol). I’ve arrived at my conclusion based on numerous videos / numerous interviews and those damming photos of her car, that was full of fast food and other hypocrisy ...and the fact she ducked and dived like a humming bird when quizzed on it.

Trust me - I want / wish a young intellect would rise up as a future leader...but I don’t think we’ve found one just yet...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 1:14 pm

Trust me - I want / wish a young intellect would rise up as a future leader...but I don’t think we’ve found one just yet...

Agree totally - But with this counterproductive Right vs Left divide that bedevils the country chances of that happening are slim as anyone coming to prominence would be labelled left or right and regardless of the quality of their ideas would be howled done by one side or the other. I think the political landscape at the moment is the logical outcome of a country's general population being so rich and comfortable for so long that we accept governance by the poorest of leaders and argue over the most trivial matters.

The fact that there are still people sleeping in their cars in bushfire affected areas speaks volumes about the quality of leadership in this country. Where is the outrage about this?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 1:16 pm

Nor will we TT as youth is a wonderful thing it lacks experience but it does come with new ideas and drive and on saying that old age can be a broken leg as far as the aged go they can be set in their ways and can carry on past bad ideas and actions proven not to be in the peoples interests, so i'll stop there as i'm 66 yr old and may incriminate myself :silent: :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Jun 2020, 1:23 pm

Yes Allthegearandnoidea totally agree on that ,so much to fix yet they argue about the name of a biscuit or outrage of a cartoon with a gun
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 2:10 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:

No doubt - I havent looked. Greta is a kid - I don't look to kids for guidance on political matters. She may have been coached - who cares? All I'm saying is that she seems to have an opinion on some things that seem important to her - as do most kids. How informed that opinion is, is another matter. You may have a different opinion.

There are a lot of people who care about the coaching of Greta...but to simplify it as merely being coached & therefor easily dismissed is just naive...
And the opinion of kids isnt one they are born with--rather its what they are learned...!!

If we all use your approach, then we would all think its ok for kids--young kids--in areas of the middle east that think its normal to violently slaughter white people from western culture...these kids werent born with these beliefs---they are coached---and I for one care about not only the fact they are "coached", but how they are coached & what the underlying belief system is the are being coached in/for...!!

Its about what these kids represent, & the completely opposing ways in which they are influencing society, & particularly the underdeveloped minds that arent able to rationalise the issues they represent in their relative speaches.

Greta's brief is all about emotional manipulation...the fact that she is used to gain a following of the younger generations, along with those unable to think freely, is a clear danger...particularly given the key tool they use to get their point accross is one of outright bullying & public humiliation & persectuion if you so dare to discuss any point that smells of being in even the remotest of conlfict with what the message they pump---any such even slight opposing suggestions are aggressively, & sometimes violently shut down...& this, many people care about mate... :thumbsup:

Greta & what she represents, in itself is an aggresssive form of totalitarianism, & to dismiss it as just a child being coached, i believe is being pretty naive & even selfcentred, particularly if one claims to be taking the greater good into account.

The kid in the link in this original post however, is simply making a statement, that demonstrates the very contradiction that is displayed, by the gutless political rulers we have...
She is encouraging of free thinking--the way the statement reads is to make one think about reaction & cause, & is encouraging us to take responsibility for the way things are--for example-- that allowing blacks to riot violently because they are persecuted, is as equally dysfunctional & unacceptable as allowing a copper to persecute & kill a black man already suitably restrained...!!

Her rant is designed to make us think about what we are becoming & that the process of protecting ones feelings by allowing them the grace to rebel isnt proactive, & leaves the overall state of affairs open to discussion, & demonstrates the dysfunctional result of allowing political correctness to bury & overcome sensibility, in a clear & concise way...

You may not get your political commentary from children, but as i said above, to dismiss it all as just kids being coached, is possibly demonstrative of the apathy that initially leads to the state of affairs we're faced with.

The fact there is only one Politician in the world media I see every day, that has the balls to say we need a to build a wall to minimise illegal immigration & drug trafficking, & call out any personal attacks of them being a racist, is testament to the problems we face today...

And quite frankly, this snippet of political commentary is one of the most productive & sensible snippets ive seen come from most, if not all mainstream & socially accepted media in the last umpteen measures of time...it makes me wonder what you hear & accept as being informed, if you dismiss this statement of observation as being uneducated... :unknown:

If more of us werent apathetic, & swapped some of our entitlement for an education on what it really takes to build a productive society, then we would be allowed suppressors on our guns, people wouldnt be homeless & having to beg for bloody feed, & the totalitarian animal activists who so aggressively, & too often, violently oppose me killing an animal, would have a real sense of empathy & true ownership for the consumption of the mince in their bloody pasta sauce, & the rice in their bloody vegetarian stir fry... ...!!!

BTW...im not having a crack allthegearandnoidea...im just challenging how i interpreted your seemingly dismissive comments for the purposes of discussion... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 2:54 pm

STIX:

Gretas come and go mate - sorry cant get my outrage-ometer to register a response to your post. She represents a point of view - is it hers? Probably. I don't see a sinister plot behind her. I agree with some of her points, others not so much. As for the other girl, I personally didn't find her monologue particularly interesting or insightful, just a predictable regurgitation of sound bites she'd no doubt gleaned from tv and social media. If you found it interesting thats fine.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 5:58 pm

:lol:

No worries... :thumbsup:

:lol:

So your "outrage-ometer" ( :lol: --i love that--im gonna use it...!!... :lol: ), isnt at all responsive to what i said...

BUT...your response to me is one where you think the girl in the attachment of the original post is "just a predictable regurgitation of sound bites she'd no doubt gleaned from tv and social media"...

Yet...you think Greta's opinion is "one of her own"...

:lol: ...Like i said...no worries... :thumbsup:

My outrage-o-meter is having a good ol' happy time at your confusing, & somewhat self-dismissive response...

Any assumptions you have thinking i might have found any of those girls interesting is not at all surprising given the mere mention of your metering system... :lol: ...

What is interesting is the social reaction on every level & how utterly dumb we are willing to become in order to be socially accepted-or remain in denial, particularly given we choose to ignore tragedy some of these behaviors have repetitively led to in the past....

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 6:15 pm

Stix
Thought my response was pretty clear - being undereducated adolescents - I'm actually not really interested in either girls insofar as they can provide me with an insight into anything. If you find anything particularly illuminating from blondie then great. I just can't muster much interest in what either has to say TBH.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 6:51 pm

ATGNI...your response was clear---you have two very differing ideals of greta & little blondie in the above link... :thumbsup:

And Yep.. :) ...i get that youre also not interested in them mate--despite joining in the conversation here.. :thumbsup: ....i read that when you said it in your previous post... :)

Again...i dont get any great interest in what they say...read my words, then understand them for whats written, not what you assume i may mean... :thumbsup:
:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 6:59 pm

Oh OK. That's settled then - can you turn the lights out when youre done here?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 7:16 pm

Nope...Im leaving the lights on for Greta to find her way because its dark here now without them on...& no...i dont have solar...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 7:20 pm

:roll: :drinks:
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Jun 2020, 7:22 pm

what Tonytm in the twitter post is saying is based on fact, "the hypocrisy is unbelievable"
thanks for posting it up SS :thumbsup:
it really does show how hypocritical the left are :thumbsup: and the left do not like young people saying it how it is do they :lol:
they just brush it off like "nothing to see here" :lol:

but didnt this post get turned into a gretazilla comparison post quickly :roll: sort of looks like taking the conversation away from the actual subject :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2020, 7:37 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote::roll: :drinks:

The eye-roll is unnecessary...really...

Youve misinterpreted me, then ignored my attempts to explain, double standardised/contradicted yourself, & you finish with a conceited eye-roll at nothing more than a passive joke in an attempt to let it pass... :unknown:

Im happy to discuss it, but to come into a thread & dismiss others' involvement, i just dont get it... :unknown:

Never-the-less...i can leave the lights on when i leave, for thats all im seemingly capable of contributing... :|
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 8:07 pm

Stix - I thought we were getting along fine - the eye roll was honestly a nod to your corny joke at the end which I got a chuckle from - I thought this was clear and added a drinks emoji to seal the deal. I dont think I have dismissed anyone here- all I said was If you get something out of these young peoples opinions then fine - no contradiction no conceit - just plain talking. I personally dont wish to dismiss anyones opinions and would appreciate if you can show me where Ive done so.

Marksman - I dismissed blonde girls monologue not because I dont agree with it - but because she conflates a number of obvious tropes into a 4 minute sound bite Ive heard many times before. And as for you saying she tells it like it is - well thats actually a case of she says it as YOU believe it to be. . Ever seen the movie Rashomon?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics