Horses culled by SSAA Hunting party

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Horses culled by SSAA Hunting party

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2020, 3:07 pm

Well I reckon 2 shooters might be receiving an invoice for shooting some expensive horses.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/dozens-horses ... --spt.html
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Horses culled by SSAA Hunting party

Post by deye243 » 25 Sep 2020, 3:45 pm

And he is me thinking SSAA meant sheep Shooters Association of Australia looks like it is HSAA
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by eddievic » 25 Sep 2020, 4:16 pm

Dang what horses must they have been to be worth 16k ea.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 4:42 pm

Bill wrote:Well I reckon 2 shooters might be receiving an invoice for shooting some expensive horses.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/dozens-horses ... --spt.html

That's not much of a story. Do they know who the shooters are? Any charges being brought? "Two members of a Sporting Shooters Association" implies this association was behind it somehow?

Anybody found any other articles about this?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 4:55 pm

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/latest/500000-worth-of-station-horses-shot

"Police are investigating the shooting of 30 horses valued at $500,000 at Victoria River's Killarney Station. It's alleged that two members of a sporting shooters association committed the reckless crime.
Station manager Jamie Laurisson said, "It was a mind-numbing stupid, careless and reckless act".

"The loss of these horses has been a massive impact on the staff, management and principals of Killarney Station. Initially shock and disbelief then grief, anger, heartbreak and devastation".

It was reported the pair had no permit or written permission from the station managers or directors to shoot on the property.
"The horses were not shot in a humane or professional manner as one would expect from members of a shooters association," Mr Laurisson said.

"The two members of the shooting club involved did not have permission from the station management to shoot in this area."

"The station would be seeking compensation with years worth of work put into breeding and training the horses".

"The NT police are investigating the shooting and will do everything they can to bring about justice within the law, if it is deemed an illegal act. The company has also engaged a legal team to pursue a civil suit on behalf of our staff in seeking compensation".

It's hard to believe that someone could be this reckless and it would not surprise me if there is far more to this story than the initial reports. There is something definitely fishy with this one."
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 5:02 pm

And from a FB post.
Attachments
120257746_207401067397974_7342368942384931927_o (1).jpg
120257746_207401067397974_7342368942384931927_o (1).jpg (266.9 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Sep 2020, 5:08 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/ ... t/12703984

"Alex Laurisson from Killarney Station said the two people who allegedly killed the horses had been allowed to shoot feral animals on the property.

"They were supposed to just shoot a number of feral animals that had been agreed on, prior to them coming," she said.
"[The pair] were told they weren't to shoot within a certain area of the homestead and were also told that we had a lot of horses nearby that were very special to us.
"They were shown specifically where they were allowed to shoot, and the area that they have gone and shot, they had no permission."

"Darwin branch president of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia, Andrew Armstrong, has confirmed the two shooters were members, who were conducting pest control of feral animals in the area.

He said he would not comment any further while the matter was being investigated."
Member-Deleted

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2020, 5:57 pm

Me smells a rat.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 6:06 pm

I think this is a load of BS no names of shooters then there is the thing where they were showed the area they could shoot yet went beyond that and shot where they weren't allowed, reeks of horses were in wrong paddock ,if the story is true which i doubt because property owners are very particular who and where people shoot i very much doubt they would have put shooters anywhere near horses worth that much, then there's the ferals they were allowed to shoot what were they ''Brumbies'' ''Wild Horses'' and maybe mistakenly shot the breeding stock, which i also doubt because the manager wouldn't allow shooters to shoot horses near his breeding horses , If the story is by chance true then i reckon the shooters were feral shooters who'd shoot anything that moved ,'' Hence some horses weren't shot ethically'' as stated and if they were members of the ''Farmer Assist'' program then maybe it should be shut down if it sends out shooters like this pair, It's either been a huge mistake on the shooters part or the club sent out Hill Billies to do the job and on saying that the shooters shouldn't have shot where they weren't sure of where they were . If it's true then the managers job would be delicate at the moment for letting shooters on at all without knowing them a touch more.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Sep 2020, 6:46 pm

not a fan of the ssaa but l'm calling BS as well,
if these guys had been shooting illegally their feet would not have touched the ground on there way to the clink
on big properties like this you are given maps and very clear instructions where and where not to shoot
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2020, 6:56 pm

I reckon the SSAA would be annoyed by the reputational damage but I cant see em covering theses guys asses.

Seems like they were culling animals but theyve moved well outside the zone they shoulda been in.

Im guessing that this will end up as a civil matter and both blokes could end up losing s**t like their homes

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2020, 7:26 pm

30 Station horses just stand there and 1 by 1 get shot down? The shooters just shoot down horses that are used to humans being around? f***ing bulls**t. This reeks of deception.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 25 Sep 2020, 8:08 pm

Wild horse dont mill about, these guys dont deserve a license period

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 25 Sep 2020, 8:23 pm

marksman wrote:not a fan of the ssaa but l'm calling BS as well,
if these guys had been shooting illegally their feet would not have touched the ground on there way to the clink
on big properties like this you are given maps and very clear instructions where and where not to shoot

Which part is bulls... the part where it happened, the part where they were ssaa, the part where they went where they shouldn’t have or the part where a ssaa shooter got 30 hits in a row. It happened, they were ssaa cull members , they went where they shouldn’t have and they shot a lot of horses.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Sep 2020, 8:37 pm

Hmmm .... whoops :oops: , sounds like they strayed into the horse paddock :shock:

I wonder if the SSAA will cough up their public liability?Surely it was a genuine mistake?

I'd bet the SSAA will be distancing themselves from this one.

I'd imagine the station manager choked on his roast that night at the dinner table when the shooters told of their successful day out.
8 foxes, 4 dingos, 5 camels and 30 brumbies.

What a shocking event for all those involved and the broader shooting community.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 25 Sep 2020, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 8:51 pm

Well deanp100 mate i'm calling BS on it all for the moment, i don't know how much you know about horses wild or otherwise but i've been around them all my life in one way or the other and shot plenty of wild brumbies many years back when it was ok and legal to do so and to shoot 30 domestic horses at one sitting would be almost impossible unless you followed them by vehicle and wild ones would be more difficult unless they were locked in a set of yards , these station horses are not as quiet as the pony club horses even though they're broken in, if you were careful you may kill 6-8 but even that would be stretching things as they would bolt for the scrub from noise alone, so as i said above they were either rogue shooters or lost to where they were supposed to be, so there as they shouldn't have shot anything at all until boundaries were found so it's going to be hard to believe any of this at all so far but we'll see soon enough i suppose
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 25 Sep 2020, 8:57 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Well deanp100 mate i'm calling BS on it all for the moment, i don't know how much you know about horses wild or otherwise but i've been around them all my life in one way or the other and shot plenty of wild brumbies many years back when it was ok and legal to do so and to shoot 30 domestic horses at one sitting would be almost impossible unless you followed them by vehicle and wild ones would be more difficult unless they were locked in a set of yards , these station horses are not as quiet as the pony club horses even though they're broken in, if you were careful you may kill 6-8 but even that would be stretching things as they would bolt for the scrub from noise alone, so as i said above they were either rogue shooters or lost to where they were supposed to be, so there as they shouldn't have shot anything at all until boundaries were found so it's going to be hard to believe any of this at all so far but we'll see soon enough i suppose

I agree completely. There shouldn’t be any dead horses, but there is. The property certainly didn’t shoot them themselves as part of an insurance scam.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2020, 8:58 pm

I am sure there will be a stock squad report considering the supposed market value of the livestock unlawfully culled. It would have to take some seriously, seriously low IQ shooters to do that. I am still not convinced.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2020, 8:58 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Well deanp100 mate i'm calling BS on it all for the moment, i don't know how much you know about horses wild or otherwise but i've been around them all my life in one way or the other and shot plenty of wild brumbies many years back when it was ok and legal to do so and to shoot 30 domestic horses at one sitting would be almost impossible unless you followed them by vehicle and wild ones would be more difficult unless they were locked in a set of yards , these station horses are not as quiet as the pony club horses even though they're broken in, if you were careful you may kill 6-8 but even that would be stretching things as they would bolt for the scrub from noise alone, so as i said above they were either rogue shooters or lost to where they were supposed to be, so there as they shouldn't have shot anything at all until boundaries were found so it's going to be hard to believe any of this at all so far but we'll see soon enough i suppose

Would they still spook if they were shot from hundreds of meters away?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 25 Sep 2020, 9:21 pm

This will be very interesting to see how SSAA stands behind the big words that prop up its insurance business, the big words about backing VIC shooters all the way to the Supreme Court didn't stand up for long.
It's also in the nature of insurance businesses to bring out the small print every time a claim comes along and SSAA do seem to care about nothing except money.

On the other side of the argument, maybe this is an insurance fraud job and the shooters are part of it, $500k for 30 horses seem a little steep and identified shooters going rogue after being briefed on what and where they can shoot does seem unlikely.
There just aren't enough publicly released details to know.
Last edited by rc42 on 25 Sep 2020, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 9:25 pm

Yes bladeracer mate horses are like deer they take flight easy, you may get a few and some will stay within sight but far out, it would take a fool to shoot those distances or hit them for that matter, even when you run horses in to make up a team after they've been spelled for 6mths they will run for cover until you cut them off , mind you not all horses are spelled these days but even in an open paddock for breeding or such they would be flighty, unless they are followed by vehicle or yarded, it would be difficult to shoot so many in one go all thought i don't know of what time frame they shot the horses so that's an unknown, mate nothing is impossible but i've never seen this in such numbers at once this is one reason they shoot them from choppers for volume numbers but geez i wouldn't like to be in their shoes if it was just for fun, and i've said it before this is one of the reasons property owners won't let shooters on for fear of this happening to them and this little episode won't help the cause either. some would think it would be possible to sit way out and pluck them off one at a time but think of the situation you have to range them ,take care on every shot 30 times, reload, i doubt the rest would stand there for that length of time especially with the crack of the rifle and seeing their mates dropping and the injured ones kicking about and bolting , also i doubt you would get 30 head shots at the distances we're talkin about, but if you can you're wasting your time shooting horses
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2020, 9:31 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yes bladeracer mate horses are like deer they take flight easy, you may get a few and some will stay within sight but far out, it would take a fool to shoot those distances or hit them for that matter, even when you run horses in to make up a team after they've been spelled for 6mths they will run for cover until you cut them off , mind you not all horses are spelled these days but even in an open paddock for breeding or such they would be flighty, unless they are followed by vehicle or yarded, it would be difficult to shoot so many in one go all thought i don't know of what time frame they shot the horses so that's an unknown, mate nothing is impossible but i've never seen this in such numbers at once this is one reason they shoot them from choppers for volume numbers but geez i wouldn't like to be in their shoes if it was just for fun, and i've said it before this is one of the reasons property owners won't let shooters on for fear of this happening to them and this little episode won't help the cause either. some would think it would be possible to sit way out and pluck them off one at a time but think of the situation you have to range them ,take care on every shot 30 times, reload, i doubt the rest would stand there for that length of time especially with the crack of the rifle and seeing their mates dropping and the injured ones kicking about and bolting , also i doubt you would get 30 head shots at the distances we're talkin about, but if you can you're wasting your time shooting horses

Spot on mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 25 Sep 2020, 9:38 pm

I worked on a central qld property as a younger man and the brumbies there Were hunted unmercifully and they took flight at the first shot and didn’t look back. I s**t some brumbies in the NT last week and they hadn’t seen a white man for a long time . They stood and watched. I reckon stock horses would just as likely keep returning to the scene to see what happened.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 9:42 pm

deanp100 mate i didn't mention it could be an insurance scam and find it strange you would suggest that especially this is a forum if you know the manager concerned and some the horses concerned could you fill me in on what were the horses used for, as 30 horses worth $500,000 they would be very expensive horses at that. i'm not prepared to speculate what actually took place, but will say something is not right and the ssaa being the ssaa how they could have got it so wrong with these blokes because they put their reputation on the line every time they send a shooter out to a property, you see this is why i can't understand all the lose ends in this case
Last edited by Grandadbushy on 25 Sep 2020, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2020, 9:46 pm

16.6k a horse x 30 on a NT station........yep
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 9:57 pm

:lol: :lol: Yeah stoney makes you wonder why the stations are still breeding cattle for $1400 to $2000 per head approx depends on how big they are like #2's 2yr old or #4's 4yr old ''Big'' some even go to #6's when you can get $16,600 per head of horse :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 25 Sep 2020, 10:06 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:deanp100 mate i didn't mention it could be an insurance scam and find it strange you would suggest that especially this is a forum if you know the manager concerned and some the horses concerned could you fill me in on what were the horses used for, as 30 horses worth $500,000 they would be very expensive horses at that. i'm not prepared to speculate what actually took place, but will say something is not right and the ssaa being the ssaa how they could have got it so wrong with these blokes because they put their reputation on the line every time they send a shooter out to a property, you see this is why i can't understand all the lose ends in this case

I was implying that it certainly wasn’t an insurance scam.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 10:15 pm

Yes i know deanp100 but no one had implied that it was either
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 25 Sep 2020, 10:24 pm

One of the horses was a competition horse that the owner paid 40 k for. Good horses are easily going to be worth the quoted amounts, some obviously better or worse. The demand for good horses is very high in NT and when you get good ones they are prized. They buy and truck in horses from all over the country to fill demand.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Sep 2020, 10:40 pm

Yes dean100 mate i understand what you are saying but there in lays another funny situation ''why would the manager run a $40,000 comp horse in the outer blocks when most station owners run such like horses close to the homestead for access and the safety of their investment but don't worry it'll all come out in the wash
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics