The reason why gun laws are so tight may surprise you!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

The reason why gun laws are so tight may surprise you!

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Nov 2020, 6:34 pm

Was having a read through this. It would seem our government is under the same pressures that we are under. The solution? Leave the UN.

https://www.un.org/en/chronicle/article ... e-solution
Member-Deleted

Re: The reason why gun laws are so tight may surprise you!

Post by deye243 » 07 Nov 2020, 7:49 pm

Very old news and not a surprise
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 Nov 2020, 3:18 am

:unknown: We should resolve all armed conflicts with fish ?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Nov 2020, 6:16 am

deye243 wrote:Very old news and not a surprise

It's still a surprise to many and disturbs their dream like view of the world.
The reason is as old as nearly all forms of political organisation.
Keep the plebs disarmed and amused with bread and circus.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 08 Nov 2020, 9:38 am

In my opinion gun laws of any sort are not going to change until politicians realize that only honest people register firearms and submit to licensing.

I wonder what might have been achieved if all of the cash used by Australian States for registration and licensing was instead diverted to preventing the illegal entry in the first place. The media never mention the illegal market and the state of our porous borders.

In the meantime Police continue to charge shooters for innocent paper mistakes. Just try finding out the laws in various States about the legal transport of ammunition for your own use. The various Police forces will not tell you anything because they " do not offer legal advice."

Two Police Firearms Officers that I know of say that licensed shooters are not the problem, their Political masters know this but will not admit it.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 Nov 2020, 11:14 am

Samuri did not hesitate to cut their opponent in half with a big Katana sword.The African nations had no problem shoving Assegis into each other.It is just the tools have changed.Bring a knife to a gunfight
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Nov 2020, 11:55 am

Madang185. In the lead up to the Qld, elections, the leader of the LNP, Deb Freckling appeared on the morning breakfast show, in a response to a question on Gang warfare said that she was “Going to Toughen Up the Gun Laws”..
The LNP lost the election big time and she's now ex leader - Karma?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 08 Nov 2020, 12:03 pm

It's going to get a hell of a lot worse now that sleepy Joe has just been elected president.
As soon as he and Carmella Harris start attacking the second amendment how long do you think it will take before our government starts to hammer us again.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 Nov 2020, 12:25 pm

I do not agree.Democrats are seeking to have assault rifles taken out the hands of civilians.I am a LAFO and fail to see the need for an AK 47 or similar that has been used in school and other shootings recently.At the risk of being called a fudd the ability to own firearms is a privilidge not a right just like a driving licence.Our laws are fair and just.I could go buy a 416 Rigby as I have nothing bigger than 7mm Rem Mag and could claim I am going on a safari for Buffalo and it would all be done in a few weeks and I am in W.A.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2020, 1:51 pm

duncan
really it would be your right to not own one if you decide not to and you lived in the US, we dont get the choice though do we? our systems are different
l dont shoot handguns but l do support the handgun owners to be able to have them :wtf: but some of them are black and semi auto :lol:
and they were used in school shootings mate they are bad guns not good guns :lol:
what if l think you shouldn't be able to own a 7mm Rem Mag because you can do the same damage with a 308 single shot, do you get what l mean?

maybe we should just let womble or allthegearandnoidea look after us with fish :lol: funny hey :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 08 Nov 2020, 1:56 pm

Once again the 2nd Amendment to the USA constitution does NOT guarantee the right to bear arms IT prohibits the GRUBERMENT from making laws to remove you right to own guns (it does not say some types of guns for a reasons) and as a result of that to provide a armed populous .
The right to bear arms can be removed if your a convinced felon or mentally impaired.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Nov 2020, 2:11 pm

duncan61 wrote:I do not agree.Democrats are seeking to have assault rifles taken out the hands of civilians.I am a LAFO and fail to see the need for an AK 47 or similar that has been used in school and other shootings recently.At the risk of being called a fudd the ability to own firearms is a privilidge not a right just like a driving licence.Our laws are fair and just.I could go buy a 416 Rigby as I have nothing bigger than 7mm Rem Mag and could claim I am going on a safari for Buffalo and it would all be done in a few weeks and I am in W.A.

sorry duncan but you are so far off base with this, and what does need have to do with anything, too many aussies are convinced the government has the job to tell us what we need. f*** them. f*** the government. letting others dictate need is just voluntary tyranny. and no in the united states it is not a privilege to own a gun, it is 10000000% a right. enshrined in the constitution of that exact united states so in the context of your comment, you are incorrect.

also you will never get a gun licensed in WA for use outside WA and WAPOL do not believe there to be any Buffalo hunting or Safari hunting in WA, so you would infact be s**t out of luck purely because you and others alike believe police should have the right to tell you what you "need"

f*** THAT.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 08 Nov 2020, 2:54 pm

duncan61 wrote:I do not agree.Democrats are seeking to have assault rifles taken out the hands of civilians.I am a LAFO and fail to see the need for an AK 47 or similar that has been used in school and other shootings recently.At the risk of being called a fudd the ability to own firearms is a privilidge not a right just like a driving licence.Our laws are fair and just.I could go buy a 416 Rigby as I have nothing bigger than 7mm Rem Mag and could claim I am going on a safari for Buffalo and it would all be done in a few weeks and I am in W.A.

Question:

The last big gun massacre in Australia since port Arthur occurred in which state, where they licenced and what did they use?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 08 Nov 2020, 3:22 pm

Well duncan mate i admire your trust in our gun laws ie ''fair and just'' ,unfortunately i don't agree with them because of the way they are enforced and the reasons they were implemented , firstly the laws aren't fair and just because they can be misinterpreted when enforced at times, then there is the implementation of these laws and how and why they were implemented ie ''a knee jerk reaction to a shooting '' and from there after, ''ALL'' gun owners were deemed ''POTENTIAL'' ''felons'' do you really think that's fair, so then if they're fair and just then why do the law makers keep trying to strengthen them to the point we are finding it almost impossible to obtain or keep our gun licence . A fact is some criminals are found with unregistered guns and not prosecuted for that yet if a lawful gun owner forgets to lock a gun up and is caught then they will get a fine and most likely lose their guns, ''Fair'' don't think so. We were sold out when we relied on some to keep our gun laws realistic and they were those that said ''She'll be right they won't take our guns '', well it wasn't right and they did take most of our guns plus they intend to eventually take all our guns so if you think that is fair and just then you're sadly mistaken, ''That is control'' :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 08 Nov 2020, 6:33 pm

I don’t think the firearms laws here reflect the wants and needs and concerns of the shooting community.
The whole act reads like it was specifically written for one person.
This is what you can have Martin and this is what you can’t.

I think we deserve a say in the laws that govern us. I also believe we should be involved and included in policing our own community.

The shooting community has a good culture in Australia. We all value safe and responsible ownership. We are all pro gun, including Duncan. And we are all anti gun violence.

I think significant improvements need to be made and i feel like the government and the police are letting me down.
And that’s not what I’m paying them to do. I want them to do a better job.
Last edited by womble on 09 Nov 2020, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 Nov 2020, 7:02 pm

Of course some of us are more pro gun than others.
Like Ziege.
I’ve heard he has girls name for all his guns and sleeps with a different one every night. But perhaps caressing his gun calms him to sleep.
And that’s ok too.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Nov 2020, 7:25 pm

womble wrote:I don’t think the firearms laws here reflect the wants and needs and concerns of the shooting community.
The whole act reads like it was specifically written for one person.
This is what you can have Martin and this is what you can’t.

I think we deserve a say in the laws that govern us. I also believe we should be involved and included in policing our own community.

As for the greater community the existing act is clearly failing them. Evidentially gun violence is increasing steadily each year.

The shooting community has a good culture in Australia. We all value safe and responsible ownership. We are all pro gun, including Duncan. And we are all anti gun violence.

I think significant improvements need to be made and i feel like the government and the police are letting me down.
And that’s not what I’m paying them to do. I want them to do a better job.

who is paying you to say this anti gun sh!t on a gun forum :unknown:
only a plant from an anti gun mob would be trying to spread this crap womble :roll:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... -laws-vio/
https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/gun-c ... a-updated/

maybe its time we see you put up a hunting post ect... :wtf: can you :shock:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 09 Nov 2020, 2:24 am

Geez womble where do you get your info from, :huh: also i doubt you fact check it before posting on it :shock: mate gun crime isn't rising each year as far as some pollies say and even some police officers, this is exactly what the anti's want to read is stuff like this ie ''rise in gun crime'' and said by a gun forum member , this they will turn into total BS news, Christ mate be careful what you post and be aware of the repercussions of what you do post :problem: :shock: :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Nov 2020, 2:37 am

Ok I see your point guys. Probably poorly worded. Will see if I can edit the post.
I guess I just don’t see firearms laws deterring criminals, more in agreeance with Madang185 views.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Nov 2020, 11:00 am

sorry duncan but you are so far off base with this, and what does need have to do with anything, too many aussies are convinced the government has the job to tell us what we need. f*** them. f*** the government. letting others dictate need is just voluntary tyranny. and no in the united states it is not a privilege to own a gun, it is 10000000% a right. enshrined in the constitution of that exact united states so in the context of your comment, you are incorrect.

also you will never get a gun licensed in WA for use outside WA and WAPOL do not believe there to be any Buffalo hunting or Safari hunting in WA, so you would infact be s**t out of luck purely because you and others alike believe police should have the right to tell you what you "need"

f*** THAT.
Ziege

I have considered this for a while and would like to respond.I have flown to Darwin to do a safari in Arnhem Land and as long as the firearm is in a case its all good.Security ran a sniffer around it and if it does not smell of nitrocellulose you are good to go.I can make application for any big game rifle I wish for and will have no issue.The system is better now Aus post handle it.When my mate died I licenced his .243 22 Hornet and shotgun all in one go to me.simple.Someone mentioned that you can be caught with an unlicensed firearm and its no biggy.If its grandpops 303 and has been lying around the farms back shed you can get it licenced or have it destroyed.If you are caught with an unlicenced handgun on public transport and ammunition you are not going to see daylight for a long time.I get public transport regularly and some of the drug addled people I see i do not wish them to have access to a semi or fully auto bullpup that will fit in a backpack.I went to the local handgun club recently and there was a lot of very bored responsible looking men doing their qualification shoot.I believe there is a field application for handguns but public safety comes first.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by womble » 15 Nov 2020, 3:17 pm

Question:

The last big gun massacre in Australia since port Arthur occurred in which state, where they licenced and what did they use?[/quote]

Unsure what defines big gun massacre. Mass shooting defined in Aus as 5 or more casualties or more.
There’s been two I’m aware of, since port Arthur. Ie In last 24 yrs.

Lockhart NSW 2014, 5 casualties, shotgun licensed, unsure if registered.

Osmington WA 2018, 7 casualties, 3x rifles licensed registered.

Both cases murder/suicide, familcide, due to mental illness.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Nov 2020, 5:22 pm

Darwin shooting: Banned shotgun used in four killings, police ...www.bbc.com › news › world-australia.Four men were killed in a mass shooting in Darwin in June 2019; Benjamin Glenn Hoffmann is charged with four counts of murder ..
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 15 Nov 2020, 6:59 pm

So what is the issue here? Mass shootings, mass murders, licencing or what?
The reality is mass murders with firearms can occur, but are more difficult without high capacity firearms.
And the reality is that these types of firearms are not needed by the average shooter, or by very few people for legit reasons.
We dont need or want US style gun ownership so licencing and most restrictions are both reasonable and fair.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Nov 2020, 8:56 pm

animalpest wrote:So what is the issue here? Mass shootings, mass murders, licencing or what?
The reality is mass murders with firearms can occur, but are more difficult without high capacity firearms.
And the reality is that these types of firearms are not needed by the average shooter, or by very few people for legit reasons.
We dont need or want US style gun ownership so licencing and most restrictions are both reasonable and fair.

Central Europe has far more relaxed gun laws yet they don't have the crime levels of the US or the UK. Crime is a cultural issue, not a gun issue. Most of Europe has a basic understanding of the need and ability to effectively defend oneself. They also see the benefit of an armed and trained populace. The UK doesn't and the poor subjects there are in a terrible situation. If you don't agree with the US's rights, surely you can agree with Central Europe? They still have all the checks and balances that Australia has, maybe even a little more, but once that is ticked, they trust their citizens with semi-autos and quite a few allow their people to carry a pistol for self defence.
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 16 Nov 2020, 12:30 am

Very true bangwhiz. But i would’nt class their gun laws as relaxed. Just sensible, fair and based in reason. Like all other laws.

Unfortunately it would appear our culture went to s**t around the 70’s and through the 80’s. The solution worked as the numbers are testament to.
As in it reduced mass shootings. It has’nt effectively reduced mass murders though, being a cultural issue.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by trekin » 16 Nov 2020, 8:03 am

animalpest wrote:So what is the issue here? Mass shootings, mass murders, licencing or what?

I, amongst many others, would be appreciative that you cease and desist in your belief that you represent us on this subject. Your views and representation have not, nor ever will be, sort by us.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 16 Nov 2020, 8:38 am

I have never said that my views represent anything other than my own trekin.

It would appear, based on you telling me to "cease and desist" that anyone who doesnt agree with your view should not comment.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 16 Nov 2020, 9:14 am

you did say we animal pest :roll: l think that involves us :allegedly:

and when the fark did it become that you needed a firearm except in WA, if l want a firearm in Vic as long as l can jump through all the hoops l can own and possess any firearm, l choose not to own several types and colours of firearms l have no interest in, that does not meen l do not support those who do

WA's or your explanation about the way of thinking about firearms, that you need legit reasons or the firearm is needed is a backward one
the rest of Australia do not want your rules and regs,

on several occasions for the general need of a firearm question on a PTA l have put down that l want it :wtf: and the PTA was successful

these are of course my own views but l can back them up
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 16 Nov 2020, 10:02 am

Guns as well as many other things have and always will have laws and regulations controlling the use of them , these laws will reflect the nature of the people implementing them for example if you were asking a vegan for permission to build a slaughter yard for beef then the outcome would most likely sway toward the beliefs of the vegan, this is how it mostly works with the implementation of laws and regulations ,never because of common sense or the requirements of peoples needs, we can argue the case for or against guns but the common sense outcome will never be chosen because of the position of the minds of the powerful who make the laws on such issues , rather than deal with the issues that cause problems they just use their own beliefs to try and solve the problem which is usually not practical nor common sense or for peoples needs. I have no issues with gun laws providing they are fair and just and left at that , as far as auto or semi guns go i'm not sure Australia needs the Auto but we've had semi's for years with minimal problems so maybe remove the larger calibers in semi and let the hunters have a bit of le-way, Its always going to be a battle for gun laws for the gun user until we get someone in power that thinks common sense and isn't seeking votes and maybe see that legal gun owners aren't a threat to society and maybe then we'll see a change in attitude from law makers but until then we'll have to make do with what we have and try and hang onto what we've got. And for those on this post that think we don't need what guns we have or agree with the gun owners have to say about their sport or hobby before you accuse them of ''if nobody agrees with you , you dislike them'' then this is a ''fishing'', ''shooting'' and ''hunting '' forum not a Sunday mass confession for anti's to get gun owners to repent :thumbsdown: so if you can't respect what the other poster has to say then don't condemn them of being one sided go find a golfing forum or some thing, Trekin was just putting his case forward nothing more :thumbsup: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 16 Nov 2020, 2:06 pm

I am certainly NOT anit-gun or even suggesting that.
But I dont see that we - as in Australia, not you - need open slather for high powered semi autos.

Yes, gun owners should have more say.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics