The reason why gun laws are so tight may surprise you!

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: The reason why gun laws are so tight may surprise you!

Post by Skinna » 16 Nov 2020, 3:44 pm

animalpest wrote:I am certainly NOT anit-gun or even suggesting that.
But I dont see that we - as in Australia, not you - need open slather for high powered semi autos.

Yes, gun owners should have more say.

From the earlier comment you made above, along with this one, you are saying that you agree with the current laws...The fact is that the current laws are draconian, & completely totalitarian, and this is backed up with not only a complete lack of logic, but also an immense amount of hypocrisy...

I can own a 308 bolt action repeater & have as many 10 shot mags strapped to my belt & a years supply of ammo, which is in accordance with the written law, is within the realms of the public being safe...but i cant have a 12G self-loader with a 5+1 capacity to smash pigeons & bunny's with & struggle to carry a box of rounds, because according to not only the totalitarians & law makers, but also according to you (going by previous comments), i pose an extreme threat to the safety of the public...
And i link the example ive given to your earlier comment in regards to high enough power firearms that can kill people...
If you openly state that you believe in these laws, & thus agree that im a threat to the public, then you should expect such shut-downs as Trekkin has delivered to you.

I, like you, & many others here, have grown up with guns, & in many cases, whilst we may not earn a living from it, are likely just as good as you are in our chosen areas of vermin control & firearms prowess. So whilst i respect your extensive knowledge & experience, that doesnt extend your jurastiction to speak for me, or others for that matter, on such things as me not being allowed to screw a moderator on the end of my Brno 22 to smack some pigeons, or to have a little safe fun with kids & adults alike with a self-loading rimfire...

There is not much good about the laws we have, & it seems people who hold similar values to you, fail to see that these laws also propel a very bad culture & non-respectful attitude towards firearms, & firearms usage & ownership...
So if you are to take the "ENTIRETY" of the gun laws, & their total effects on society into account, they in fact probably do more damage to society in segregation & encourage an un-educated & heavily bigoted view of all of us...yet i could probably do as much damage with a car, or even golf club in the right public setting than with a shotgun.

Anyway...not meaning to get all ranty...just maybe convey an aspect of what you might have been encouraged to ignore, due all the anti-gun propoganda thats hit the airwaves since Little Jonny won himself a few terms based on instilling a nazi like emotional fear into what was once, a country with a healthy attitude to firearms...

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by womble » 16 Nov 2020, 8:07 pm

I would love to combine hunting with golf.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Nov 2020, 8:17 pm

womble wrote:I would love to combine hunting with golf.

Too easy, the geriatrics playing don't move very fast unless they're in a cart.
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 17 Nov 2020, 4:09 am

You are a worry.
I was thinking ducks. Combining a round of golf with some duck shooting .
I feel the need to do that and nobody should tell me what i need.

However, Duncan and animalpest may not agree. Because communists.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by trekin » 17 Nov 2020, 5:03 am

womble wrote:I would love to combine hunting with golf.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvX9hSoGoY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvrAbHJNLuY
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Nov 2020, 5:54 am

:lol: hahahaha nice
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2020, 6:09 am

Maybe its a W.A. thing but I agree with you Animal pest.I can recite many incidents where hunters have been injured or killed and a lot are crossing fences with a semi auto.You have no idea if there is a cracker up the spout but with a bolt action the handle can be up and double shotguns can be open till needed
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 18 Nov 2020, 7:41 am

duncan61 wrote:Maybe its a W.A. thing but I agree with you Animal pest.I can recite many incidents where hunters have been injured or killed and a lot are crossing fences with a semi auto.You have no idea if there is a cracker up the spout but with a bolt action the handle can be up and double shotguns can be open till needed

Must be a WA thing, or at least a certain type of person thing! If you're the type of person who crosses a fence with one up the spout of a semi, then you are the type of person who ignores all basic firearm safety procedures/rules, and will cross a fence with a bolt action in the same state, maybe they should give up their licence, if they ever had one to start with!!
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2020, 10:22 am

I agree Trekin.A father fatally shot his son not that long ago crossing a fence with a semi.Not a good look
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 18 Nov 2020, 10:50 am

I certainly dont agree with all of the firearms laws. Some dont make sense at all for what they are supposed to be there for.

I am pro gun, but understand and support laws that are sensible to protect the public and ourselves from the odd idiot out there.

Everything is a balance. Or should be!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 18 Nov 2020, 11:54 am

Better to put a brand new gun Down in the mud wheN crossing a fence I think ....it can Always be cleaned later
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 18 Nov 2020, 1:50 pm

Well, we have this debate about 200 times a year, every year since forever

Congratulations.
That is the dumbest argument to date against the owning of a semi-automatic rifle.
I really think you deserve some sort of award, because we’ve heard it all.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Nov 2020, 6:02 pm

your being rude womble :huh:

duncan is pointing out the extra dangers of self loading firearms compared to other types
crossing fences with firearms has nothing at all to do with just self loading firearms

from the 10 basic firearm rules in Victoria:
"Before attempting to negotiate a fence or obstacle unload your firearm. Do not rely on safety catches. Safety catches are only intended to supplement the safe handling of firearms.

If attempting to cross/climb a fence alone:
(a) unload your firearm;
(b) place it through the fence and lay it on the ground with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction. Then cross the fence away from your firearms muzzle.

If crossing/climbing a fence with a friend:
(a) ensure all firearms are unloaded;
(b) use the same method as for crossing alone, or hand your unloaded firearm to your companion and then cross the fence. Then have your companion hand to you your unloaded firearm and his or her unloaded firearm."

and once you have crossed the fence check for an obstruction before loading and continuing to hunt :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:30 pm

duncan61 wrote:Maybe its a W.A. thing but I agree with you Animal pest.I can recite many incidents where hunters have been injured or killed and a lot are crossing fences with a semi auto.You have no idea if there is a cracker up the spout but with a bolt action the handle can be up and double shotguns can be open till needed

that makes 0 sense, a minority of retards who don't have the mental capacity to not climb through or over a fence with a loaded gun in hand is far from my problem and I should not have to deal with restrictions from such darwin award candidates.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:43 pm

duncan61 wrote:I do not agree.Democrats are seeking to have assault rifles taken out the hands of civilians.I am a LAFO and fail to see the need for an AK 47 or similar that has been used in school and other shootings recently.At the risk of being called a fudd the ability to own firearms is a privilidge not a right just like a driving licence.Our laws are fair and just.I could go buy a 416 Rigby as I have nothing bigger than 7mm Rem Mag and could claim I am going on a safari for Buffalo and it would all be done in a few weeks and I am in W.A.

what is an assault rifle dunc?

there is no real assault rifle, I hope this isnt a shock, but there was some capitulating recently with the right wing of politics to accept that as a term so long as they are referencing firearms with a burst and full auto selector not only installed but in operation and that said firearm is/was also considered a solely military firearm.

now AK variants, AR variants and other semi-automatic rifles and firearms are not in any way assault rifles. people, yourself included, need to cut out the bs of labelling semi automatic rifles as "assault rifles" there is no such thing, and even if you accept the olive branch offered, AK47's and AR15 rifles in the hands of the public are NOT in this category, not even close.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:54 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have considered this for a while and would like to respond.I have flown to Darwin to do a safari in Arnhem Land and as long as the firearm is in a case its all good.Security ran a sniffer around it and if it does not smell of nitrocellulose you are good to go.I can make application for any big game rifle .

WAPOL does not license WA citizens for firearms where the use is intended outside of WA.

There are no Buffalo in WA according to WAPOL,

Therefore you would NOT be granted a license for a "safari" gun to take with you to NT or FNQ or anywhere else, their exact words would be "apply for a gun in NT then"

so I'm sorry for chewing you out on here, but getting anything high velocity above a 300 win/rum in WA is a real s**t show. no more 338's no more 378's etc, it takes an unreasonable and unrealistic amount of rhetoric to even have the application looked at.

the laws are not in the interest of public safety, if we had laws that looked after the public safety of others my 96yo Great uncle wouldn't have been stripped of his 303 when he wielded it unloaded to scare away a group of "locals" when they were stealing his belongings and threatening to assault him.

this s**t has gone on too far, anyone that doesn't want fairer laws needs to just get the f*** out of the way and keep their pie hole crammed shut as far as I am concerned. Opinions may vary but the fact that the government is systematically deleting gun ownership is an empirical fact. and its not so you're "safe"
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 18 Nov 2020, 6:55 pm

There are no extra dangers.
An unloaded gun is unloaded.
A loaded gun is loaded.
You can’t be extra dead.

And even when it is unloaded it’s still loaded. You just don’t climb over a fence holding a gun.
Anyone who would do that should probably never leave the house In the first place without a special helmet and full protective gear.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:57 pm

trekin wrote:
animalpest wrote:So what is the issue here? Mass shootings, mass murders, licencing or what?
The reality is mass murders with firearms can occur, but are more difficult without high capacity firearms.
And the reality is that these types of firearms are not needed by the average shooter, or by very few people for legit reasons.
We dont need or want US style gun ownership so licencing and most restrictions are both reasonable and fair.

I, amongst many others, would be appreciative that you cease and desist in your belief that you represent us on this subject. Your views and representation have not, nor ever will be, sort by us.

Here Here!

+100000000
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:59 pm

womble wrote:There are no extra dangers.
A loaded gun is loaded.
You can’t be extra dead.

And even when it is unloaded it’s still loaded. You just don’t climb over a fence holding a gun.
Anyone who would do that should probably never leave the house In the first place without a special helmet and full protective gear.

Exactly these are the same mongs that only get an Auto Drivers license but even then, still manage to put it in drive instead of reverse.

the same retards you see comparing two cans of beans from the same brand for 10 mins before choosing one.

the exact same that have their name called 15 times before they realize its their turn at the dentist.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 7:11 pm

Literally every semi and full auto firearm I have used can have the breech locked open, so no thats not correct, in any case anyone holding or pointing or positioning a firearm where someone can be harmed is a low iq moron.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 18 Nov 2020, 8:43 pm

[quote="womble"]There are no extra dangers.
A loaded gun is loaded.
You can’t be extra dead.

Anyone who would do that should probably never leave the house In the first place without a special helmet and full protective gear.[/quote]

if you have a Victorian firearms licence womble you would have done the safety test that not only disagrees with what you are saying but explains why self loading firearms can be more dangerous than other types of firearm action :wtf:
the A&B VIC firearm safety test also covers Cat C that is self loading firearms, so there is no way anyone could not have been taught this ;)

l have already said "crossing fences with firearms has nothing at all to do with just self loading firearms"

you seem to be on top of big gun massacre in Australia history dates ect... but are not about what you need to know to have your Vic firearms licence
maybe there are less safety laws when combining golf and shooting :allegedly: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm

I think whether or not the gun was loaded when the imbecile was climbing an obstacle with it in hand is completely irrelevant, loaded or unloaded the person doing such things is obviously dense as hell and possibly inbred.

there is a very certain way to ensure that a self loading firearm is safe before crossing an obstacle, put it where its securely on the ground and cannot fire, pointed away from every and anyone, no firearm to date has suddenly gained sentience so if it is in a position where no one can fire it and it is not able to move, loaded or otherwise it is as safe as its ever going to be, those guidelines sound retarded to me re: self loading being unable to tell etc etc... no one should ever take for granted that any firearm is not loaded and always treat the trigger and muzzle as such. also whoever relies on safety catches is a moron.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 19 Nov 2020, 5:38 am

duncan61 wrote:I agree Trekin.A father fatally shot his son not that long ago crossing a fence with a semi.Not a good look

Why are you agreeing with me?, I don't want to ban any/all firearms.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Nov 2020, 8:09 am

I am agreeing with safe crossing of fences.I also do not wish to ban any firearms but have an opinion on semi autos.I had a Ruger 17 HMR lever that held 9 rounds and I could cycle that baby plenty quick.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by trekin » 19 Nov 2020, 9:10 am

duncan61 wrote:I am agreeing with safe crossing of fences.I also do not wish to ban any firearms but have an opinion on semi autos.I had a Ruger 17 HMR lever that held 9 rounds and I could cycle that baby plenty quick.

My apologies if I have the wrong bull by the horns here, but to the cassual reader this post;

would suggest that you agree with AP's posts which have all been spouting his belief that Australians should not have acess to semis.
And again, my apologies, but, a couple of years ago, not far from where I lived at the time, a young bloke was shot with a bolt action rifle crossing a fence (just outside of Rockhampton, QLD). So if we were to follow your opinion, which appears to be based on ignorance of either, the operation of semis or, basic firearms safety or both along with the incidents you quote, then we would be left with no other option but to ban or severely restrict all firearms for the safety of all Australians.
I can fire a No1 Mk111 at a cyclic rate of 90 - 110 rounds per minutes, but I would still perfer a semi to compete in three gun events.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 19 Nov 2020, 5:48 pm

I can see why ap doesn't want Aussies to have semi autos, he wouldn't be in buisness very long if the rest of us could cull for free.
The classification laws confuse me, the reason we have gun control is to keep the public safe. In order to do this i have to jump through a thousand hoops to prove im not using my guns to hurt people, then I get told im a good person but can only get certain guns and only if the police grant me a permit to acquire.

Why do I even need a pta? They've already verified my "genuine need" when I applied for my licence. It's not like it's changed.
And why am I restricted in my choice? Am I going to turn into a complete psycho just because I own a semi auto?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 20 Nov 2020, 3:12 am

Not necessarily. But maybe theres fences on your property. :unknown:
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 5:30 am

womble wrote:Not necessarily. But maybe theres fences on your property. :unknown:

Is that even legal?
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 20 Nov 2020, 8:31 am

Yes you can still own a fence
It must have safety flags and barriers placed around it at all times to prevent idiots from shooting themselves.
You may not own a gate in cat a/b
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 10:26 am

womble wrote:Yes you can still own a fence
It must have safety flags and barriers placed around it at all times to prevent idiots from shooting themselves.
You may not own a gate in cat a/b

That last part about the gate is fair enough. I mean, how many people really need a gate? They should probably make it mandatory to place a sign up on the fence warning of potential accidental suicide. Otherwise they can't have the fence.
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics