What does Pump jets, diesel submarines and politicians have

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

What does Pump jets, diesel submarines and politicians have

Post by cz515 » 14 Dec 2020, 3:48 pm

Ok this might upset some people, but man its embarrassing where a career naval officer with 30 years service has to deal with questions that would sound embarrassing if they were coming from a 5 year old, not an elected senator of Australia.

https://youtu.be/UYF08jJi9Hg
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: What does Pump jets, diesel submarines and politicians h

Post by Bugman » 14 Dec 2020, 4:13 pm

You have to look at it from a lay persons point of view. Our taxes are being spent on an item that costs megabucks. Unfortunately, our Navy and those involved with selecting equipment have a grey track record, ie the Collins class subs. I don't necessarily agree with the Senators questioning etc but this navy guy, from the start appeared to show contempt of the questions thrown at him, by his mannerisms. To be honest as an ex navy man, i thought that he would have presented himself a bit better. Just my opinion, mind you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 14 Dec 2020, 4:17 pm

How long is the power cord for the electric submarine ?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 14 Dec 2020, 4:21 pm

: I know you being silly ( and funny) but for those who don't quite understand....it is diesel/electric powered....................but it could have a veeeeeerrrry long extension cord :lol:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 14 Dec 2020, 5:16 pm

This bloke has since retired from the navy and is now a senior public servant with job title of General Manager Submarines. This is perfect example of the contempt that these types hold for the people they are supposed to serve. Hanson is a good example of the ‘every man’ not educated and not articulate and and he treated her as less than therefore he treated the people of Queensland less than. He is an expert when it comes to submarines, no doubt about it and his credentials and experience are impressive but his attitude is poor.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2020, 5:23 pm

IMO the Rear Admiral had incredible patience being asked questions by someone who knows SFA about subs. I think he felt like he was being asked to justify/explain his decisions to an idiot. Which I think is what happened.

What she considered complex, was extremely simple for him.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 14 Dec 2020, 6:01 pm

My point is that sure a lay person should not be expected to know specifics of Australiansubmarines. But a senator sitting on a senate hearing committee trying to see if the navy is about to waste money on another "colins class submarine" should have done some homework. Maybe get a lesson on submarines and from a navy person not a advisor that probably has never seen a boat let alone a sub.

But more importantly, you would expect her to be a bit more polished or even have a coherent line of questions to ask.

And lol @ womble. I too read the comments on that video.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by womble » 14 Dec 2020, 6:03 pm

He was very patient and tolerant.
But what is the point of the exercise, when the person assigned to query his decisions has no expertise. Or even able to grasp simple concepts after he explained them 12 times.
He could have told her anything he wanted and she’d be none the wiser.
So essentially theres no accountability. He can go out and buy us windmill powered submarines and convince her that’s the best way to go.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2020, 6:44 pm

PH, didn't need to know anything technical. She should have been focusing on if an effective system/process was used to make the selection.

Experts in subs would be as scarce as rocking horse sh1t.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 14 Dec 2020, 7:03 pm

yeah that was like masturbating with a cheese grater
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by womble » 15 Dec 2020, 2:58 am

Considering how much of OUR money we’re spending on them i think we deserve an experts appraisal and or opinion.
I don’t care if that person is rare or expensive to commission.
I really think she’s a little out of her depth here and should have conceded as much, outsourced advice.
It’s ridiculous that she’s the person appointed to rubber stamp this.
That whole government is entirely ridiculous and dysfunctional. As in they serve no function and should resign.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2020, 1:12 pm

womble wrote:Considering how much of OUR money we’re spending on them i think we deserve an experts appraisal and or opinion.
I don’t care if that person is rare or expensive to commission.
I really think she’s a little out of her depth here and should have conceded as much, outsourced advice.
It’s ridiculous that she’s the person appointed to rubber stamp this.
That whole government is entirely ridiculous and dysfunctional. As in they serve no function and should resign.

Yes PH is wrong person for the job.

But he did say it was peer reviewed and by a US expert. And the process took a few years.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by markg » 27 Dec 2020, 4:05 pm

DCNS was under investigation for bribery. They have a checkered past. They have not built a diesel electric version of the Barracuda class sub before. If we had Nuclear reactors in OZ we could have bought Virginia class boats from the USA that would have cruise missiles, multiple launch systems and a proven multi role track record and at a significantly cheaper price and ready for delivery years ahead of the french crap. As usual the dinosaurs that run our armed forces will make the wrong decision. Collins class springs to mind, F35 will be another costly blunder.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 27 Dec 2020, 5:16 pm

Probably get a chance to test it all out in the coming years.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 5:04 pm

Sooo, this does suggest a lack of competence.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-09/ ... c_news_web
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 10 Jan 2021, 8:23 am

Yes but this article doesn't mention that US joint light tactical vehicle is not built in Australia, while the thales one is built here. That might be a good enough reason to spend a little more.

Anyway the point of the video was not if we shouldn't question the armed forces on what they are spending taxpayers money on. But more about the ineptitude, lack of preparation and immaturity of the politician asking the questions. She couldnt string two coherent sentences together.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 9:05 am

cz515 wrote:Yes but this article doesn't mention that US joint light tactical vehicle is not built in Australia, while the thales one is built here. That might be a good enough reason to spend a little more.

This is one of the reasons that defence went with the French MRH90 and Tiger helicopters instead of purchasing off the shelf US UH60 Blackhawk and Apache, both of which are a proven battlefield helicopter and can be introduced straight into service and on operations, unlike these French lemons that they pumped an extraordinary amount of money into and as I understand aren’t even able to be used on operations.
I can appreciate the appeal of building them here, great for our economy but they are just not cutting the mustard.
When will they learn.......
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 10 Jan 2021, 1:09 pm

Hmm then add in the navy boats issues they have had in recent past. Maybe we are just not skilled enough to build these types of things
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 4:03 pm

Mate it has nothing to do with the build process. We are more than competent to build these items, it is the product that is unsuitable for our needs.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 5:00 pm

cz515 wrote:Yes but this article doesn't mention that US joint light tactical vehicle is not built in Australia, while the thales one is built here. That might be a good enough reason to spend a little more.

Anyway the point of the video was not if we shouldn't question the armed forces on what they are spending taxpayers money on. But more about the ineptitude, lack of preparation and immaturity of the politician asking the questions. She couldnt string two coherent sentences together.

I did wonder about that. A better way to go IMO
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 10 Jan 2021, 5:07 pm

I would have to disagree OB. Mate defence needs what it needs to operate, and what we build here under license from the French isn’t necessarily that. That’s why we have all of these helicopters that aren’t suitable. In the perfect world we would have an Australian owned and designed item however unfortunately we aren’t big into designing helicopters.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2021, 5:16 pm

JimTom wrote:I would have to disagree OB. Mate defence needs what it needs to operate, and what we build here under license from the French isn’t necessarily that. That’s why we have all of these helicopters that aren’t suitable. In the perfect world we would have an Australian owned and designed item however unfortunately we aren’t big into designing helicopters.

I agree if they are not suitable.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by markg » 04 Feb 2021, 8:55 pm

Have they ever built one...........NO they have not. Not diesel/electric thus far.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Feb 2021, 12:26 pm

markg wrote:Have they ever built one...........NO they have not. Not diesel/electric thus far.

A D/E Barracuda, no. But the old Agosta Class was a very superior long range D/E sub that is still in use with Pakistan, Spain and as a training vessel for Malaysia. The Barracuda Class conversion will no doubt be a capable submarine, just expensive. Most likely the main reason we see so much French input to our defence is the fact we sold our munitions and military manufacturing industry to a French company, Thales. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 05 Feb 2021, 5:06 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics