Google search engine threats .

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Google search engine threats .

Post by JohnV » 23 Jan 2021, 6:38 am

Google threatens to cut Australia off from it's search engine . I don't use it anyway .
Use this more secure search https://duckduckgo.com/ I think many people use it anyway now .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Google search engine threats .

Post by straightshooter » 23 Jan 2021, 7:05 am

Well dressed political apostates are now using Brave browser and duckduckgo but who knows when they will be absorbed by the internet 'Bolsheviks'
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 9:36 am

I've worked with a lot of so called professionals who completely rely on Google for their information. I call them pretenders, "fake it until you make it" types.
They'll be screwed if we have a google blackout ... bring it on, I'd love to see them squirm in a absence of information, those with real knowledge will shine.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BadShot » 23 Jan 2021, 9:49 am

'If you're not paying for the product, you are the product.'

Everyone who moves to another search engine deprives Google of yet another piece of information and more importantly another piece of information on you...

While you are at it if you use Google DNS move over to 1.1.1.1 instead
https://1.1.1.1/dns/
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jan 2021, 10:06 am

JohnV wrote:Google threatens to cut Australia off from it's search engine . I don't use it anyway .
Use this more secure search https://duckduckgo.com/ I think many people use it anyway now .

Works for me, I'd love for them to leave us alone. I've got to cypher through Australian Government propaganda already, cyphering through American leftist propaganda is certainly an added burden. Eliminating that would be great.
Member-Deleted

Post by Bill » 23 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

I bet the Libtards will fold like a cheap suit when push comes to shove
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 23 Jan 2021, 11:32 am

I wonder how many on here use an android or apple phone or device.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

cz515 wrote:I wonder how many on here use an android or apple phone or device.

I use a Samsung which has the Android IOS.
Member-Deleted

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 12:26 pm

cz515 wrote:I wonder how many on here use an android or apple phone or device.

Imagine what we could achieve if everyone stopped wasting time on phones.
I drove past a bunch of road "workers" yesterday, most of them were just standing around gazing at their phones, is bet excessive device / internet usage is costing business billions in lost productivity yearly nation wide.

Personally I'd blow 10 minutes a day on my phone.
Using that as an average
12,877,900 employed nation wide x 10 minutes each per day.
That = 2,146,317 hours per day
Average hourly rate $18.50? X 2,146,317 hours
That's $39,706,864.5 per day in wages paid for nothing
Assuming for every hour worked, a business can return that cost 2 fold in profits,
That's $79,413,729 per day
5 days a week = 260 days a year = $20,647,569,540 per year ! ... :lol:
:shock: is that right ? Surely not:?
Let's not even try to calculate the stuff-ups, mishaps and injuries caused by distraction.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 23 Jan 2021, 1:43 pm

Oww minimum wage is $19.84, average wage is around $30-35/hr. If you think you do 10mins .... 5x it atleast as times goes when you are on the phone.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 2:52 pm

cz515 wrote:Oww minimum wage is $19.84, average wage is around $30-35/hr. If you think you do 10mins .... 5x it atleast as times goes when you are on the phone.

Personally I don't keep my phone on me at work and I don't use social media.
I just check for emails and messages every couple of hours. 10 minutes is probably over estimating it in my case.
Overall in my workplace, everyone is very responsible with their phone use. Its a very busy and highly productive operation.
I've worked in other jobs where most spend a huge amount of time looking at their phones, it pi$$ed me off big time, I hate bludgers :evil:

It's suggested that half the workforce waste up to an hour a day on their phones, so the average is probably more like 30 minutes, so with the average wage closer to $32.5 / hr and the average usage 3x what i guessed, it's astronomical :shock:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 3:17 pm

Back on topic though, as much as I'd get over loosing access to Google (id really miss Google maps)

Id bet schools would suffer, business advertising and sales and much more would suffer. There's probably lots of trading platforms that use Google services.
It would probably cause chaos for a while.
Again we've allowed big business to corner the market and hold the government to ransom and influence policy.
I don't think it's for the better. Just a few individuals at the top of big tech are able to push their political agenda far too easily.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 23 Jan 2021, 4:58 pm

everyone should be using VPN's by now... so how is this even an issue?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm

JohnV wrote:Google threatens to cut Australia off from it's search engine . I don't use it anyway .

Sooo, educate me. I always use Chrome. I know they track and target me regarding adverts. But I ignore all adverts.

What are the other negatives?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 5:37 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Sooo, educate me. I always use Chrome. I know they track and target me regarding adverts. But I ignore all adverts.

Some people don't like the idea of having their search history and personal information kept by Google.
Essentially Google uses it to "better your experience" by customising suggested websites and advertising and savingyour personal information to make things fast and easy.
Id guess that there's a risk of 3rd parties obtaining your personal information like ip address, phone number, email addresses, postal address, residential addres, birth date, sex, facial recognition info and every other personal preferences and interests related to you.

My understanding is that duckduckgo claim not to.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210123-181321_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210123-181321_DuckDuckGo.jpg (225.88 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jan 2021, 5:46 pm

Screenshot_20210123-181548_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210123-181548_DuckDuckGo.jpg (141.08 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 23 Jan 2021, 6:34 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Social Engineering.
Google knows more about you than you do yourself.
Knowledge is power.
Google owns you and will over time manipulate your thinking to better serve whoever buys you.
The purchaser will have your business for life.

What are they buying. Mostly just product placement in your thoughts.
But political agendas also of course. The Russians have been controlling their provinces for a long time through popular social media platforms.
Look what they've done and are doing in recent times with QAnon and other false flag radical group s.
Communism vs democracy. The cold war never ended. Inevitably the world will have to be ruled by one government. All resources are finite.
They just brainwashed Americans into storming their own capital to incite a revolution against their their own country.
Took them 3 years to fully recreate what those people think, feel and believe.
Frightening stuff. Beyond expensive. But a priceless reward for a global communist government.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Jan 2021, 6:45 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Imagine what we could achieve if everyone stopped wasting time on phones.

Let's not even try to calculate the stuff-ups, mishaps and injuries caused by distraction.

i agree whole-heartedly :thumbsup:

reliance on one provider is a dangerous situation. google can get stuffed . covid highlighted australia's reliance on china . sounds like google is trying the same bully tactics :x

unfortunately society is creating a situation where if you don't keep up with technology your left behind and out in the cold

i've been trying to get a uber taxi app on my phone , first app ever on my phone :P unfortunately i've been having all sorts of trouble with downloading the app and even getting updates as my iphone 6 is too old it seems . i have to travel down to victoria soon and uber would've made things easier to get around . when i get back i'll have to get a new phone i guess :roll:

i'd like to ditch the modern world and live a more simple uncomplicated life . i honestly don't understand how some people can spend hours on their bloody phones . i should move to a Amish community :P i wonder if their into guns ? muzzle loaders even ..... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 6:30 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Back on topic though, as much as I'd get over loosing access to Google (id really miss Google maps)

Id bet schools would suffer, business advertising and sales and much more would suffer. There's probably lots of trading platforms that use Google services.
It would probably cause chaos for a while.
Again we've allowed big business to corner the market and hold the government to ransom and influence policy.
I don't think it's for the better. Just a few individuals at the top of big tech are able to push their political agenda far too easily.

Google has only mentioned it's search engine nothing else . As far as I can tell It won't affect google products that don't access news services . The news services want Google to pay them for searching and accessing their news . This is not Googles fault
it's the media trying to squeeze out more money .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 6:45 am

womble wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Social Engineering.
Google knows more about you than you do yourself.
Knowledge is power.
Google owns you and will over time manipulate your thinking to better serve whoever buys you.
The purchaser will have your business for life.

What are they buying. Mostly just product placement in your thoughts.
But political agendas also of course. The Russians have been controlling their provinces for a long time through popular social media platforms.
Look what they've done and are doing in recent times with QAnon and other false flag radical group s.
Communism vs democracy. The cold war never ended. Inevitably the world will have to be ruled by one government. All resources are finite.
They just brainwashed Americans into storming their own capital to incite a revolution against their their own country.
Took them 3 years to fully recreate what those people think, feel and believe.
Frightening stuff. Beyond expensive. But a priceless reward for a global communist government.

Chrome isa google product and I don't use it . I recommend firefox with Ublock origin addon and HTTPS everywhere add on .
For general internet surfing . For more secure private surfing [but slower ] Opera browser which has a built in VPN [ virtual private network ] You turn it on easily in the settings and a blue marker shows VPN is on . You can select , Optimal location , Europe , Asia or USA access points . I find Asia point is just as fast as my local internet but I switch around a bit .
There is higher tech options but they are difficult to setup . Opera works like Tor but is dead simple to use and faster .
Tor Browser is probably more secure I don't know . It does not worry me because all I am doing is avoiding add bombardment and trash emails as much as possible not anything illegal .
N.B. I looked at Brave browser and I don't like the pay for viewing adds in crypto currency . It's a Chrome based browser so Google is in the chain some place . It can use Tor in a tab so that makes me suspect that it's not that secure unless you use Tor in it . Better to use Tor stand alone download .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2021, 8:46 am

Sooo, I've been using duckduckgo app on mobile for 2 days. At this point I give it a big tick.
No ad's. But also much faster than Chrome, which has been a real pain for me. Has caused me a lot of pain, time and frustration. I have been blaming the mobile and telstra. But it was Chrome....bastards.

P.S. laptop is faster too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 27 Jan 2021, 10:36 am

Kind of don't care if they take it there's plenty of search engines out there maybe try googling for a good one before Google leaves or like others suggested use duckduckgo. If you're completely stuck on the idea of using Google just get a VPN to get access (just like everone does with American Netflix)

Any company that tries to tell a government how to run its country should be shut down. Governments are elected (supposedly) by the people to do what's best (supposedly), for the people. Companies only do what's best for investors.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 27 Jan 2021, 11:12 am

Bill wrote:I bet the Libtards will fold like a cheap suit when push comes to shove

I think youve got the wrong thread Bill...
But here mate, i fixed it for you... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14988&p=257262#p257262
:thumbsup:
:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jan 2021, 11:43 am

Skinna wrote:
Bill wrote:I bet the Libtards will fold like a cheap suit when push comes to shove

I think youve got the wrong thread Bill...
But here mate, i fixed it for you... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14988&p=257262#p257262
:thumbsup:
:drinks:

I've found the linked thread totally unrelated. Fake news.
Member-Deleted

Return to Firearms related media and politics