Wombat National Park. WTF

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Wombat National Park. WTF

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2021, 3:33 pm

Well IMHO Wombat SF is a long way from being worthy of National Park status.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-28/ ... /100096256
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Wombat National Park. WTF

Post by womble » 28 Apr 2021, 6:09 pm

Idiots
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Apr 2021, 6:32 pm

National Park status = No hunting
No hunting = Hunting not a genuine reason for many in the area that don't have private property to shoot on. = Making it harder for people in the area to get and retain licences.

Add this to the Duck Hunting push, and the "Animal Sentience" push, recreational shooter ban from buying firearms and ammo during lockdown, less LRD workers "for social distancing purposes" resulting in longer wait times for licencing and PTA approval, social distancing in firearm safety courses and a build up in applicants, continual gun bans based on appearance, further restriction and recategorisation, new approaches to prior health, physical and mental records preventing new licences and renewals being issued and you have yourself a multifaceted attack on LAFO's and to-be LAFO's. But hey, the government is there FOR YOU! Trust your authorities, obey your authorities, they know what's best for you.
Member-Deleted

Post by Tiger650 » 28 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

Notice that the first image in that article is of a pleasant young girl having fun and captioned to the effect that the park would be "better protected" ?
The biased intent of this propaganda piece is evident.
"Our" ABC.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Apr 2021, 7:27 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:National Park status = No hunting
No hunting = Hunting not a genuine reason for many in the area that don't have private property to shoot on. = Making it harder for people in the area to get and retain licences.

Add this to the Duck Hunting push, and the "Animal Sentience" push, recreational shooter ban from buying firearms and ammo during lockdown, less LRD workers "for social distancing purposes" resulting in longer wait times for licencing and PTA approval, social distancing in firearm safety courses and a build up in applicants, continual gun bans based on appearance, further restriction and recategorisation, new approaches to prior health, physical and mental records preventing new licences and renewals being issued and you have yourself a multifaceted attack on LAFO's and to-be LAFO's. But hey, the government is there FOR YOU! Trust your authorities, obey your authorities, they know what's best for you.

You forgot the part where being bashed by police during a safe inspection is a genuine possibility
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 28 Apr 2021, 8:07 pm

My take on it. It is purely a financial one on the State Gov pov. If they can offload the responsibility and the cost for the infrastructure it is more money in their pockets.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Apr 2021, 8:30 pm

Larry wrote:My take on it. It is purely a financial one on the State Gov pov. If they can offload the responsibility and the cost for the infrastructure it is more money in their pockets.

Might be something in that. And then it goes to sh1t because NPs neglect it.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 28 Apr 2021, 11:22 pm

How Wombat could ever become a National Park beats me. It has been decimated by overuse for years. Like most of central Vic during the gold mining era it would have been largely stripped of all tree cover and later firewood for Melb. Also it is riddled with walking, 4WDing, logging, trail bikes and mountain bikes tracks.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2021, 1:32 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:National Park status = No hunting

You forgot the part where being bashed by police during a safe inspection is a genuine possibility

Thanks, I'm sure there is plenty I missed. Gel blasters and nerf guns for example.
Member-Deleted

Post by womble » 29 Apr 2021, 3:38 am

Sarco wrote:How Wombat could ever become a National Park beats me. It has been decimated by overuse for years. Like most of central Vic during the gold mining era it would have been largely stripped of all tree cover and later firewood for Melb. Also it is riddled with walking, 4WDing, logging, trail bikes and mountain bikes tracks.

It’s the playground for the western suburbs. People work hard all week and look forward to those activities on the weekend.
It’s not that big an area and not too much to ask for them to have it for recreation surely.
Otherwise they’re driving across town to get to the eastern state forests, adding another two or three hours each way. Fuel, tolls.
Hopefully a few very selfish people don’t get their way.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2021, 7:50 am

Sarco wrote:How Wombat could ever become a National Park beats me. It has been decimated by overuse for years. Like most of central Vic during the gold mining era it would have been largely stripped of all tree cover and later firewood for Melb. Also it is riddled with walking, 4WDing, logging, trail bikes and mountain bikes tracks.

Agree 100%
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 29 Apr 2021, 9:59 pm

womble wrote:

It’s the playground for the western suburbs. People work hard all week and look forward to those activities on the weekend.
It’s not that big an area and not too much to ask for them to have it for recreation surely.
Otherwise they’re driving across town to get to the eastern state forests, adding another two or three hours each way. Fuel, tolls.
Hopefully a few very selfish people don’t get their way.

Or they do like happens now, when they find it is too busy in Wombat and Cowbar they go start on Lerderderg and its tracks.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 30 Apr 2021, 7:33 am

Yes there is F all in Wombat that deserves the title NP. It should be kept open for the people to play in. The whole idea of locking up NP is just as crazy what is the good of them if people can not go and visit the areas. If they are made to save some some exotic frog or bird we should be able to go and spend some time and see the damn thing for ourselves.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by wanneroo » 30 Apr 2021, 10:52 am

I know the area from previous travels and I can't imagine how they could turn that into a national park. It's state forest as I recall and nothing all that significant that would need National Park status.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 30 Apr 2021, 12:16 pm

Makes about as much sense as declaring my backyard, a national park.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 21 May 2021, 3:25 pm

And don't forget riddled with old mines. Which are good fun in exploring them.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 May 2021, 5:41 pm

I want to see the exotic frog
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 21 May 2021, 5:52 pm

Notice that the first image in that article is of a pleasant young girl having fun and captioned to the effect that the park would be "better protected" ?
The biased intent of this propaganda piece is evident.
"Our" ABC.

Not really
The caption goes onto say better protected according to the recommendations of a report
The article spends the first few paragraphs outlining the views of those groups against theNP idea
Pretty balanced really
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2021, 9:04 am

Well, that is sh1t. Wombat and areas around Ararat will soon be N.P. The department of National Neglect will look after it now. Still more details to come I think.

The ferals will soon be out of control and infrastructure will be run down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-24/ ... /100238132
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2021, 3:42 pm

Government media release.
https://www.forestsandreserves.vic.gov. ... estigation

These are the key changes in Hectares.
SF we loose 77,377 (773 sq kms)
National & State parks gain 50,146

A lot of different types of reserves will be created, again locking hunters out, this is in addition to the above loses.
But that assumes all recommendations are being implemented. I guess there will be more info to come.

Changes.JPG
Changes.JPG (121.73 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Jun 2021, 12:41 am

Bugman wrote:Makes about as much sense as declaring my backyard, a national park.

Which,,,,,,, if you go through the right channels you can actually do. Just sayin.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Jun 2021, 7:04 am

It annoys me to know end how the states give up their land to the fed. Tell them to stay in Canberra. The last 18 months have ignited the mostly forgotten concept that this country is a federation of independent self governing states. I am sure you guys remember before 1996 state rights were always a big issue. These last 18 months have really bought state rights back to the table. The future is looking some what more independent for the states.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2021, 8:11 am

N.Ps are for areas that are environmentally special. I've visited pretty much all these areas. Take my word for it, they are far from special.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 27 Jun 2021, 3:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:N.Ps are for areas that are environmentally special. I've visited pretty much all these areas. Take my word for it, they are far from special.

While I don't necessarily agree with them being made a NP. Central Victorian Box-Ironbark Forest such as Wellsford Forest are environmentally special and are quite rare now.

Have you visited it?
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2021, 3:54 pm

"Wellsford Forest" no, not that I recall. Where is it.?

I'm all for NPs. But there needs to be a legitimate reason. The other thing is some NPs allow seasonal (5-6 months) deer hunting, usually off tourist season such as winter. This makes good sense and good compromise. But your expected to pass up shots at pigs, goats, foxes, dogs etc. How fukn stupid is that?

And if your going to have NPs, look after them. IMO most are simply neglected. (by the department of national neglect)

And forget camping there with a dog, my God it's about a $2,500 fine last I heard.
viewtopic.php?t=8503
I find this all very frustrating.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

Any updates on this? How much state forest will actually remain as state forest status, if any at all?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2021, 10:02 pm

There a re links to down loads near bottom of the page.

Government media release.

https://www.forestsandreserves.vic.gov. ... estigation
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 15 Jul 2021, 7:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Wellsford Forest" no, not that I recall. Where is it.?

North east outskirts of Bendigo, but historically central Victoria was covered in them until the gold rush era when they were heavily log to supply wood for the furnaces.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 8:03 pm

Interesting. All young trees. Ill keep it in mind next time I'm in the area.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 15 Jul 2021, 10:48 pm

On the edge of Wellsford (East Bendigo), just off the McIvor Hwy there is a a VRA 1000yrd range, a Field Archery Club and a Pistol Club.
I am unaware of any impacts on these as the NP is a different section of the SF.

I have seen very little in the local media in relation to the NP being created in the area.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Firearms related media and politics