WW3 ?

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Re: WW3 ?

Post by straightshooter » 02 Aug 2022, 9:19 am

Something does not smell right with all this relentless war over Taiwan talk and related posturing and propaganda.
It seems to me that if China really wanted Taiwan quickly then China would just "buy" it.
Not for chump change like they bought Samoa.
No matter how many billions or even trillions it would still cost China far far less than a war.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 02 Aug 2022, 10:21 am

I don't think they want to buy it because they think it's theirs. It would be embarrassing to pay for something you already own.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 02 Aug 2022, 4:47 pm

I've been trying to see an up side to poking a stick up Pooh-bear's sensitive spot ever since I heard what Pelosi was planning.

She's likely out the door in the mid terms, just looking for a bit of relevance before hand.

I can't see giving the CCP this sort of enema, right at this particlar time as anything but senility raising its head.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 02 Aug 2022, 6:55 pm

China is loosing it sheet on social media over Pelosi visiting Taiwan, China has buckleys of getting it and its not there territory so they can GAGF. :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 02 Aug 2022, 9:01 pm

Billo wrote:China is loosing it sheet on social media over Pelosi visiting Taiwan, China has buckleys of getting it and its not there territory so they can GAGF. :drinks:

Ahh wise words spoken by a geopolitical expert well versed in topics of history and political arena in the Asian region
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2022, 9:09 pm

Lazarus wrote:I've been trying to see an up side to poking a stick up Pooh-bear's sensitive spot ever since I heard what Pelosi was planning.

She's likely out the door in the mid terms, just looking for a bit of relevance before hand.

I can't see giving the CCP this sort of enema, right at this particlar time as anything but senility raising its head.

Yep, doesn't pass the pup test
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 02 Aug 2022, 11:09 pm

cz515 wrote:
Billo wrote:China is loosing it sheet on social media over Pelosi visiting Taiwan, China has buckleys of getting it and its not there territory so they can GAGF. :drinks:

Ahh wise words spoken by a geopolitical expert well versed in topics of history and political arena in the Asian region

Why don't you give us all a history lesson on the sovereignty of Taiwan.......Im a patient man
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2022, 11:22 pm

straightshooter wrote:Something does not smell right with all this relentless war over Taiwan talk and related posturing and propaganda.
It seems to me that if China really wanted Taiwan quickly then China would just "buy" it.
Not for chump change like they bought Samoa.
No matter how many billions or even trillions it would still cost China far far less than a war.

China believes it already owns Taiwan, it's not going to buy what it already owns.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 03 Aug 2022, 3:00 am

Serbia and Kosovo. Well if NATO wants to take the Serbs on again, I just wonder how much weapons are left after loaning them to Ukraine. And China starts on Taiwan. I don't know , maybe Iran does something. It's going to be a bit of a handful.

https://youtu.be/7R5A0pg4oN8
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by womble » 03 Aug 2022, 4:11 am

Inspiring vid
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 7:04 am

Well, Pelosi has landed in Taiwan.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 03 Aug 2022, 7:12 am

Where is the war.. the media was telling you coins is attacking already
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2022, 10:48 am

China's response, they're going to fire guns into the air on the weekend around Taiwan

I'm pretty sure China know that if they start war they'll be stopped on, that leaves them no option other than trash talking and unspecified threats
"Well do something unprecedented!"
Like smash the royal tea set in anger.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 03 Aug 2022, 11:05 am

Here's some interesting views from Jim Molan.

Personally I think old Jimbo is a bit of a knob jockey, politically, but he does know his sh!t on the military arena.

Peter Harchers thoughts on Molan's view of the near future.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/eagle ... 5b673.html
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 1:56 pm

Lazarus, thx. You just made my day.

Pretty much as I thought. Were buggered.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Aug 2022, 2:23 pm

Sorry OB

This is has been brewing for more than a decade, even a dumbarse like me could see it, and both sides of parliament have had their focus on in-fighting and backstabbing each other for personal gain.

Thanks to the last pack of parasites, we might have a plan in 18mths, that might deliver some as yet undesigned new fleet of nuke boats, perhaps 20yrs from now.

If it wasn't so dire it would be comical.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2022, 2:50 pm

Most of these scenarios ignore the fact that China will be up against AUKUS at bare minimum.
I'm not convinced about China's might and abilities,
I'd be willing to bet 90% of the crap we hear about China's modern cutting edge war technology is pure propaganda.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 2:53 pm

That's ok. I've known for years. You just reminded me.

Like I keep saying. Need about a 2 dozen nookes as a deterent.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 03 Aug 2022, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 2:54 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Most of these scenarios ignore the fact that China will be up against AUKUS at bare minimum.
I'm not convinced about China's might and abilities,
I'd be willing to bet 90% of the crap we hear about China's modern cutting edge war technology is pure propaganda.

Hope we never find out the truth.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2022, 3:08 pm

Same.

Now and then we get little snippets of what's going on.
Reading between the lines, the US is maintaining a hefty presence in and around Australia, land, sea and air. It seems the stealth bomber's are once again spending plenty of time in the air.
There's also been significant investment in liquid fuel stocks in the top end, (hopefully that's not just on paper)

What a terrible waste of money and resources.
It's probably the main reason behind China's antagonistic efforts.
Have the West spend trillions on cold war instead of building solid economy's.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 03 Aug 2022, 3:52 pm

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I do love thought experiments.

Am I the only one who thinks it's really coincidental that two totalitarian regimes with a long history of animus towards each other, both with territorial ambitions, are suddenly best buddies.
Like the Soviets and the Nazis in August 1939.
Also like the Nazis, one of these totalitarians is resource poor and reliant on imports.

Xi and Putin practically braiding each other's hair at the Olympics after signing their "no limits" spit-swapping deal and 4 days later Putin kicks it off in Ukraine.

The Americans can't afford to move carrier groups or QRFs closer because Xi seemingly has a lump in his duds for Taiwan, meanwhile Putin is using his conscripts as cannon fodder to draw down Western strategic stockpiles.

To go even farther down that rabbit hole, perhaps Taiwan is simply Xi's stalking horse.
Perhaps, true to the philosophy of Sun Tzu, he's pitted his two most powerful rivals against each other, waiting for Russia to exhaust itself past the point where they could prevent him taking control of Siberian resources.

A side issue I've been wondering about, what social commentary would have looked like if social media had existed in its current form in the 1930s while the last world war was brewing.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2022, 4:54 pm

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
China seems to be awsome at playing the long game.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

Lazarus wrote:A side issue I've been wondering about, what social commentary would have looked like if social media had existed in its current form in the 1930s while the last world war was brewing.

I've been thinking about thst too. And the shear amount of info that's available today. What if it had been available back then.

In the 30s and 40s it often took weeks for news to filter down to the general public.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2022, 5:33 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
China seems to be awsome at playing the long game.

that's because there's no opposition political parties in communist countries . in china they disappear , opposition in russia results in trumped up criminal convictions , poisioning or assassination . there's only ONE government in china , so planning 50 years in advance is do-able

our political parties rarely start any more nation building projects , they just try to look good for the time their in office , then argue and waste time in opposition . if the communists want more nuke subs , they just build them . new highway through a enviromental habitat , just do it . no debate, no green groups to appease . in the long run , they'll probably surpass the west
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 03 Aug 2022, 6:24 pm

bigrich wrote:
our political parties rarely start any more nation building projects , they just try to look good for the time their in office , then argue and waste time in opposition

Spot on.
The Chinese have 50 year plans etc, the clowns we elect have an attention span limited by the opinion poll cycle.

I remember an interview with Mista Rabbott just after his election, he was asked about some looming issue that would come to a head in 17yrs, can't recall exactly which but I think it was climate, his response was that he hadn't the slightest interest in the far future.
Meaning he'll be out of office so it doesn't matter.

There should be an option on the ballot paper for the choice "None of the above" maybe then we could send them a message they understand.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 03 Aug 2022, 9:12 pm

Peak China has passed, an aging and falling population, debt laden families with housing they can ill afford. Wages that cant keep pace with inflation. GDP thats flatlining .

Chinese Real estate and the stock market has tanked more than 25% over fears of Building company implosions. 2nd and 3rd tier Banks at risk of going under due to lax lending regulation and highly speculative lending.

One of Xi Jing Pings problems is he risks losing face over Taiwan, he has made it part of his Legacy, its something the CCP propoganda machine has taught for over 80 years in the schooling system that Taiwan is part of China. He is wedged badly. Fark him and his plans :drinks:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2022, 9:38 pm

Billo wrote:Peak China has passed, an aging and falling population, debt laden families with housing they can ill afford. Wages that cant keep pace with inflation. GDP thats flatlining .

Chinese Real estate and the stock market has tanked more than 25% over fears of Building company implosions. 2nd and 3rd tier Banks at risk of going under due to lax lending regulation and highly speculative lending.

One of Xi Jing Pings problems is he risks losing face over Taiwan, he has made it part of his Legacy, its something the CCP propoganda machine has taught for over 80 years in the schooling system that Taiwan is part of China. He is wedged badly. Fark him and his plans :drinks:

Correct.
And a war would help the people forget about all the other problems.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 03 Aug 2022, 10:30 pm

All true, However China has been given a few ripe reasons that they could have taken advantage of in the recent past but they have done nothing. So what will be the trigger or the timing for them?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2022, 1:46 pm

Lazarus wrote:Here's some interesting views from Jim Molan.

Personally I think old Jimbo is a bit of a knob jockey, politically, but he does know his sh!t on the military arena.

Peter Harchers thoughts on Molan's view of the near future.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/eagle ... 5b673.html

Read that the other day.
Chatting at LGS today and that subject popped up.

Bloke behind the counted suggested "pine gap" would be first to be hit.

I reckon he could be right. And it would be "on" immediately.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

Inflation expected to hit 15% in the uk over winter. Every EU country turning off lights, hot showers going to be regulated. All praying they have enough gas to keep industry going.

Russians sell cheap energy to China. China sells cheap electronics to Russia while the EU starves in the dark.

The wheels are falling off the slava Ukraine virtue signalling as the Russians are now turning up the heat inn donbass. That line is going to collapse very soon.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms related media and politics