Increased exuberance by NSW Police seizing firearms.

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Increased exuberance by NSW Police seizing firearms.

Post by straightshooter » 07 May 2021, 8:11 am

Has anybody in NSW noticed that Police now immediately seize firearms from owners who have not committed direct offence.
I am not referring to seizures due to even a frivolous or false AVO or due to a Doctor's notification, which are explicable.
One seizure of firearms, ammunition and licence that came to my notice in the last few days was due to a catch all offence(?) of "domestic situation".
Is this part of a knee-jerk reaction to the FAR Edwards fiasco?
Or could it be that due to the covid downturn Police management kpi's aren't being met?
It seems to me that firearm owners are now being set up to be the whipping boys for the ills of society particularly those ills caused by misguided or malevolent social engineering.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Increased exuberance by NSW Police seizing firearms.

Post by Dedd » 07 May 2021, 8:18 pm

I'm pretty sure "domestic situation" involves the police being concerned about the potential of violence. Police have always removed firearms in those situations.
I'm not a big fan of police being able to do stuff like that without due process but, to be fair, when they take action like that it's typically for good reason.
Dedd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 May 2021, 11:13 pm

straightshooter wrote:Has anybody in NSW noticed that Police now immediately seize firearms from owners who have not committed direct offence.
I am not referring to seizures due to even a frivolous or false AVO or due to a Doctor's notification, which are explicable.
One seizure of firearms, ammunition and licence that came to my notice in the last few days was due to a catch all offence(?) of "domestic situation".
Is this part of a knee-jerk reaction to the FAR Edwards fiasco?
Or could it be that due to the covid downturn Police management kpi's aren't being met?
It seems to me that firearm owners are now being set up to be the whipping boys for the ills of society particularly those ills caused by misguided or malevolent social engineering.

I think all states now have a policy of taking all firearms from anybody involved in a "domestic" disturbance. Generally they take them for four-weeks, if you aren't directly involved in the "domestic".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 08 May 2021, 10:50 am

Quiet probably related to their failure regarding issue of a "Commissioner's Permit" to the child murderer.
Ref the previously posted statement by NSW Police concerning this.
They seek to redeem themselves by targeting anyone they can, this will please the people who should be demanding accountability.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NSC » 08 May 2021, 4:18 pm

The increased exubarance by NSWPOL to seize firearms just might have a little bit to do with a Senior Command Officer who desperately wants to be the next Chief Commissioner we hear!

Even a Dyson doesn't have such "suction power"....

NSC
NSC
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 May 2021, 9:48 pm

NSC wrote:The increased exubarance by NSWPOL to seize firearms just might have a little bit to do with a Senior Command Officer who desperately wants to be the next Chief Commissioner we hear!

Even a Dyson doesn't have such "suction power"....

NSC

I'd be impressed if he turned his focus to something that is causing serious problems in society like organised crime, especially the ice epidemic.

Anyone can grab the low picking fruit.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pudlux » 09 May 2021, 8:24 pm

Dedd wrote:I'm pretty sure "domestic situation" involves the police being concerned about the potential of violence. Police have always removed firearms in those situations.
I'm not a big fan of police being able to do stuff like that without due process but, to be fair, when they take action like that it's typically for good reason.

Sorry Dedd. Your assumption sounds like typical VICPOL bulls**t to me. There are too many examples of decent law abiding LFAO being pinged for alleged 'good reasons'. I will never condone DV but it is just another way of taking away access to legal firearm ownership.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by simmo » 09 May 2021, 8:35 pm

They have failed soo grossly in their duties to properly regulate and to do their job, evidenced coronial inquest into that Edwards scum bag, they are desperate to be seen doing the job they always had but failed to do when it mattered.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 09 May 2021, 8:37 pm

I would suspect that the ever increasing number of licensed firearms owners is not popular with some senior police officers so they have decided to issue instructions to target such people and bully and harass them at every opportunity.

Plus, every firearms related conviction looks good on their end of year statistics for 'keeping the public safe' even if they're not and it's much easier than finding actual criminals.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 10 May 2021, 12:31 am

Pudlux wrote:
Dedd wrote:I'm pretty sure "domestic situation" involves the police being concerned about the potential of violence. Police have always removed firearms in those situations.

Sorry Dedd. Your assumption sounds like typical VICPOL bulls**t to me. There are too many examples of decent law abiding LFAO being pinged for alleged 'good reasons'. I will never condone DV but it is just another way of taking away access to legal firearm ownership.

I agree
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics