Deer Culling

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

Deer Culling

Post by Madang185 » 14 May 2021, 7:16 pm

The Victorian Government have announced that they have successfully eliminated 1100 feral pigs and Fallow Deer for the Bidj Bim National park in western Victoria. We were not told how any of each species were shot.

Pigs I can understand: but shooting Deer and leaving them to rot is in my opinion totally unacceptable, to non professional hunters they are a valued food source.

In addition the Government has the hide to charge people for a license to shoot Deer elsewhere. Once again we are being discriminated against.

For the record the writer is not a Deer Hunter
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Deer Culling

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 May 2021, 7:55 pm

Or you could look at it thus way.

Unfortunately us hunters just aren't doing a good enough job, we're not taking enough deer, now big brother needs to step in and get the numbers of feral deer under control.

Have they been using 10/80 or shooting them?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pudlux » 14 May 2021, 8:17 pm

It's a National Park so probably can't hunt in there. Would love to get private property on the fringe though.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bill » 14 May 2021, 8:48 pm

Considering the size of the Nat Park it sounds like the Deer and Pigs were a bit out of control, have zero issue in the culling with said rifles. Just a shame we aren't flogging the brumbies number down in a similar manner. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Madang185 » 14 May 2021, 8:57 pm

They shot them from choppers, Bill raises an important point, they would'nt do it to the brumbies.
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 15 May 2021, 1:14 am

The cull was aerial, best if we Proles learn that meat is to be supplied exclusively by supermarkets, with obligatory RSPCA "social licence" of course.
I read on Our ABC that the pigs and deer were threatening the vestigial remains of supposed ancient Aboriginal eel trapping areas or whatever.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2021, 5:08 pm

I was in that NP about 6 months ago along with a couple of others in the area.

Talk about run down. Weed infested, infrastructure in disrepair and not replaced after a bush fire about 5 years ago. Much signage unreadable and decidedly lacking.

Its the department of National Neglect and IMHO a bloody disgrace.

They even had the gaul to charge campers $20 a night for zero, yes zero facilities & about 15km up the road i got great facilities, power and water for $28 a night in a CV park.

Like I said its the National Neglect department. I wouldn't feed the barstards.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Firearms related media and politics