TNT / FEDEX stopping Firearms & Ammo shipping

News and events in the media and political arena relating to firearms.

TNT / FEDEX stopping Firearms & Ammo shipping

Post by Adzy » 16 Jul 2021, 3:37 pm

I understand that TNT/ FedEx are going to stop all Firearms & Ammunition shipping in Australia from August 2021 , hopefully another transportation business will see opportunities to take this market up . Will this cause shortages in the near future ?
Adzy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: TNT / FEDEX stopping Firearms & Ammo shipping

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 4:46 pm

Was going to make a post about this myself a couple days ago, however couldn't find any information on it to make an informative post. A quick google shows they have done this elsewhere also, UK etc, and from what I can tell it started in the Netherlands thanks to anti-gun wanker CEO/Executives.

If another company doesn't take up the slack it would pay dividends for the industry to start its own recruitment of contractors or start its own business to carry the stock, this could potentially lower cost as you wouldn't have a freight carrier middle man attaching yet more profit costs to what is shipped, however might result in monthly or bimonthly cartage instead of weekly.. in any case I think the combined stores/ranges/groups/manufacturers/importers and distributors would be wise to move ahead with their own arrangement rather than leaving it upto yet another corporation to do this to the industry.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bugman » 16 Jul 2021, 5:19 pm

ZaineB wrote:Was going to make a post about this myself a couple days ago, however couldn't find any information on it to make an informative post. A quick google shows they have done this elsewhere also, UK etc, and from what I can tell it started in the Netherlands thanks to anti-gun wanker CEO/Executives.

If another company doesn't take up the slack it would pay dividends for the industry to start its own recruitment of contractors or start its own business to carry the stock, this could potentially lower cost as you wouldn't have a freight carrier middle man attaching yet more profit costs to what is shipped, however might result in monthly or bimonthly cartage instead of weekly.. in any case I think the combined stores/ranges/groups/manufacturers/importers and distributors would be wise to move ahead with their own arrangement rather than leaving it upto yet another corporation to do this to the industry.

Good point. Maybe the firearms industry should look into this, and now, not after the horse has bolted.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Jul 2021, 5:40 pm

Utterly pointless to consider a "firearms industry" alone client for courier transport. Too much ground to cover for no viable return, I looked into this before I gave up my semi, and later when I ran a courier business. You would have to agree to a minimum $400 per item, ie:scope, rifle, box of dies etc to run a stand alone business in the industry, it is only viable as a part or addition to a pre-existing courier business and even then you would face a pretty steep increase in costs unless you had Statewide/National distribution networks such as Australia Post, UPS, Star Trak (Aussie Post now anyway). A system of DC's along major routes could work, but only if customers were willing to drive from home to the DC to pick up items, and this would include your gundealer having to pick up some things for you, again at considerable cost increases. The fact is firearms and related items represent a very, very tiny per centage of freight, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Utterly pointless to consider a "firearms industry" alone client for courier transport. Too much ground to cover for no viable return, I looked into this before I gave up my semi, and later when I ran a courier business. You would have to agree to a minimum $400 per item, ie:scope, rifle, box of dies etc to run a stand alone business in the industry, it is only viable as a part or addition to a pre-existing courier business and even then you would face a pretty steep increase in costs unless you had Statewide/National distribution networks such as Australia Post, UPS, Star Trak (Aussie Post now anyway). A system of DC's along major routes could work, but only if customers were willing to drive from home to the DC to pick up items, and this would include your gundealer having to pick up some things for you, again at considerable cost increases. The fact is firearms and related items represent a very, very tiny per centage of freight, Cheers.

I would doubt they would have to only cart firearm/hunting/sport shooting related items, after all TNT weren't. they would be wise to setup something, its that or have no one to carry their stock at all, what would you prefer?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by cz515 » 16 Jul 2021, 7:29 pm

Agreed no1. Dinner people don't understaffed the logistics behind it all (pardon the pun)
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 8:14 pm

cz515 wrote:Agreed no1. Dinner people don't understaffed the logistics behind it all (pardon the pun)

Oh I understand it perfectly fine thanks, one quarter of my family used to be in freight services till they sold off the company for a nice slice of the country's wealth. But lets face facts, relying on corporates is not going to provide a future for the industry, at all. So creating their own means is their/our only option or do you want to play this game every time a virtue signaling corporate drops firearms and ammo?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Downunder » 18 Jul 2021, 7:49 am

Another example of how we’ve been forced to accept (and continued to be forced) corporate intrusion on our choices and freedoms.

These corporates are facilitated by their allies, governments.

Small business, owner operators, sole traders have little hope in the worsening climate that is streamlining government over-site and overreach.

The only solution as I see it is for small businesses (in this instance transport and logistics of restricted dangerous goods) is to form co-ops to service niche markets abandoned or cancel by corporates, they’ll need assistance by representative bodies by lobbing with regulatory and legislative impediments.

There’s more coming to actively impede firearms related pursuits, a change in worksafes licensing for dealers in Vic is to be implemented in December further tightening the noose was recently relayed to me by a supplier.

Anyone who hasn’t been affected by creeping regulation and or active suppression your time is coming, tic tok tic tok.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by fuzzyB » 25 Jul 2021, 3:53 pm

Have we managed to find a someone that's moving things around? im trying to get a gun thats 115cm out from QLD to NSW with no luck at this point? any suggestions welcome?
fuzzyB
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rule404 » 25 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

Has anyone seen anything from SIFA or SSAA on this further impost on LAFO’s or the industry? Are the ballot papers Out for the SSAA elections?must be due out soon. Does anyone have idea who is standing?
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rule404 » 25 Jul 2021, 7:50 pm

Has anyone seen anything from SIFA or SSAA on this further impost on LAFO’s or the industry? Are the ballot papers Out for the SSAA elections?must be due out soon. Does anyone have idea who is standing?
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2021, 8:38 pm

fuzzyB wrote:Have we managed to find a someone that's moving things around? im trying to get a gun thats 115cm out from QLD to NSW with no luck at this point? any suggestions welcome?

I don't know about firearms as my only usage of TNT is for shipping ammo.
I asked Ron at Rebelgunworks if he's found any other option, but sadly he hasn't as yet.
They made it impossible to ship powders a while back, now it's impossible to ship ammo.
For now at least, the only way to buy ammo is to travel to collect it yourself, including for dealers.
It does at least mean we're likely to buy more ammo though to make a trip worthwhile.

Auspost regulations specifically exclude firearms and firearm parts from classification as prohibited weapons - see - 57.1.15 (1) 2.
https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/ausp ... itions.pdf
https://auspost.com.au/business/shippin ... pt-collect
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 27 Jul 2021, 4:23 am

Rule404 wrote:Has anyone seen anything from SIFA or SSAA on this further impost on LAFO’s or the industry? Are the ballot papers Out for the SSAA elections?must be due out soon. Does anyone have idea who is standing?

Received mine in the mail Friday.

Regards

Tony
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rule404 » 27 Jul 2021, 3:40 pm

Yep. Have received mine now. Same old same old.All current board members, with Only one fresh face, Chris Ryan. Not club focused,so that’s a plus..Makes some relevant points from apparent discussion with members.Although a current board member, Colin Wood is hunting focused rather than sub club. Three current board members, two from the same club, which would give the BGRC 5 Directors..Not ideal IMO. Josh Knight is from a regional area, so that a plus..I would think a diversity of views would be a benefit, rather than a clique of people from the same area.
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 27 Jul 2021, 5:53 pm

I ordered a ShotKam camera from the USA recently, the only shipping method listed was FedEx so I got in touch and asked about alternatives and explained why, they were very sympathetic and were able to offer USPS/Australia Post instead so I was able to buy one. Shipping is slower but also cheaper.

In future I won't be purchasing anything that comes by FedEx/TNT and I certainly wouldn't send anything using them, if enough people do the same they will notice their profits reducing more than they expected following their decision, unfortunately, that's about the limit of what us peasants can do to influence them.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Aug 2021, 7:12 pm

rc42 wrote:I ordered a ShotKam camera from the USA recently, the only shipping method listed was FedEx so I got in touch and asked about alternatives and explained why, they were very sympathetic and were able to offer USPS/Australia Post instead so I was able to buy one. Shipping is slower but also cheaper.

In future I won't be purchasing anything that comes by FedEx/TNT and I certainly wouldn't send anything using them, if enough people do the same they will notice their profits reducing more than they expected following their decision, unfortunately, that's about the limit of what us peasants can do to influence them.

Anything mailed from USA to Aussie has been the biggest ripoff,,,,, and for years.
I proved a point a few years back.

I wanted an Aimpoint Micro, but their (shop of origin) postage costs worked out to be nearly the same as the purchase price.
My partner has a cousin that lived not far away, so we organized for him to get it and post it to me.

The postage cost was much less.
But the point I set out to prove was after I got it.

I re addressed it to the same address as the shop of origin,,, and walked into the local post office,, and asked "How much to send this ?"

They weighed it and gave me the price. I can't remember the $$$ figure now, but I know it was less than 1/4 of what the shop was gonna charge.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 8:49 am

That wasn't through Cabelas was it? I noticed they charge a motza for postage. I've purchased fishing bits from lots of other shops that worked out normal in postage.

They probably know that we've been well and truly screwed over on pricing in Australia, so they know they can overcharge us and we still won't complain.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2021, 1:09 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Anything mailed from USA to Aussie has been the biggest ripoff,,,,, and for years.
I proved a point a few years back.

I wanted an Aimpoint Micro, but their (shop of origin) postage costs worked out to be nearly the same as the purchase price.
My partner has a cousin that lived not far away, so we organized for him to get it and post it to me.

The postage cost was much less.
But the point I set out to prove was after I got it.

I re addressed it to the same address as the shop of origin,,, and walked into the local post office,, and asked "How much to send this ?"

They weighed it and gave me the price. I can't remember the $$$ figure now, but I know it was less than 1/4 of what the shop was gonna charge.

Maybe the company was adding a fee for the handling of it to mail it out?
Not unreasonable for a business to charge for their time, as long as you're aware of it when ordering.
How much time did you invest in packaging it and taking it to the post office for a quote?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Aug 2021, 3:59 pm

disco stu wrote:That wasn't through Cabelas was it? I noticed they charge a motza for postage. I've purchased fishing bits from lots of other shops that worked out normal in postage.

They probably know that we've been well and truly screwed over on pricing in Australia, so they know they can overcharge us and we still won't complain.

Nah,,,, wasn't Cabelas.

But,,,,,,,, regardless of what you order from where-ever in USA,,,,, have a look, and invariably the postage is almost equal to the purchase price if not more so.

I've always avoided buying from USA because of that one reason,,, with one exception,,,,,,,,,,
Just recently I bought a pack of (5) 300 Blackout snap caps,, that worked out cheaper in both price and postage than what is available in Aus.

English stuff used to be reasonably priced as far as postage is concerned,,, but now they too are getting very pricey for postage.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Aug 2021, 4:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Maybe the company was adding a fee for the handling of it to mail it out?
Not unreasonable for a business to charge for their time, as long as you're aware of it when ordering.
How much time did you invest in packaging it and taking it to the post office for a quote?

Barely 5 minutes,,,, just stuck a blank label on the box as it was,,,, and wrote in the USA address.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 4:39 pm

I order car parts from rock auto in the US all the time and find postage very reasonable, especially considering the weight of many parts. Cheapest is $20 and it goes up from there, but it never works out stupidly expensive and I'm still under half what lesser quality would cost me in Australia.

I haven't ordered any other small stuff from over there in ages though. Last time was about 5yrs ago for fishing spinner blades etc. I don't recall postage so it mustn't have been outrageous.

This topic leads me to my issue with Australian importers, but I'm trying to refrain from taking it off course
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2021, 5:00 pm

disco stu wrote:I order car parts from rock auto in the US all the time and find postage very reasonable, especially considering the weight of many parts. Cheapest is $20 and it goes up from there, but it never works out stupidly expensive and I'm still under half what lesser quality would cost me in Australia.

I haven't ordered any other small stuff from over there in ages though. Last time was about 5yrs ago for fishing spinner blades etc. I don't recall postage so it mustn't have been outrageous.

This topic leads me to my issue with Australian importers, but I'm trying to refrain from taking it off course

Same here, I order out of the US and UK very regularly.
Needed a new clutch slave cylinder last week.
Repco wanted $280 and a week to get it, though I could pay more and have it within a few days.
Got it out of the UK for $164 delivered, should arrive this week.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 6:44 pm

Bloody hell-must be a rare slave cylinder for that price!!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2021, 7:37 pm

disco stu wrote:Bloody hell-must be a rare slave cylinder for that price!!

It's a new style one :-)
Sits inside the bell housing around the input shaft.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm

Aah! Fair enough. Sounds painful to change then. Box off I'm assuming

I actually had that idea the other day when I was stuffing around with my slave cylinder and clutch. Looked inside and thought could get rid of the fork. Though mine is pull clutch, but still
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Aug 2021, 10:40 pm

disco stu wrote:Aah! Fair enough. Sounds painful to change then. Box off I'm assuming

I actually had that idea the other day when I was stuffing around with my slave cylinder and clutch. Looked inside and thought could get rid of the fork. Though mine is pull clutch, but still

Engine out was easier :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 03 Aug 2021, 7:37 am

6 of one, half a dozen of the other! Still a painful job. And then while the engine is out you may as well do all those other little jobs to it, next thing you've knocked the heads off and......
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2021, 9:01 am

disco stu wrote:6 of one, half a dozen of the other! Still a painful job. And then while the engine is out you may as well do all those other little jobs to it, next thing you've knocked the heads off and......

I have that problem alright :-)
I hate making all the fuss just to put it back in without making it "like new" first.
Watched a long video last week of a guy replacing rear springs and an axle on an old US 6x6 Army truck, he didn't clean anything, just whacked it all back together!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 03 Aug 2021, 9:11 am

:lol:
While it's together and running, my problem is I don't clean or look after enough. Then I do one little job and go way overboard getting everything prefect.

Was meant to take 6 weeks getting this 4wd running and registered. 2yrs later I had to force myself to stop fixing everything and just register it! I'm my defence I had health issues which slowed me down.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Firearms related media and politics